Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is alcoholammonia-based cleaners (like windex) that can take some screen coatings off. Diluted soap shouldn't hurt anything I think.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

I'm pretty sure it's ammonia-based cleaners you need to worry about. I've been using straight 95% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on all my LCDs for years with no ill effects.

edit: Just looked it up, ethyl alcohol (booze) is bad, isopropyl is fine. Dilution is recommended but not required.

Yeah, ammonia is what I meant. Apparently I am preoccupied with alcohol.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
3G on any device is one if those things that you don't realize that you need until you have it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Carbon Thief posted:

It's Random House, though. I was hoping a big publisher would jump on the e-book thing faster.

Big publishers hate ebooks even more than small publishers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

e: Never mind. Amazon has it listed as "Persimmon" and the color looks orangey, but reviews say it's very clearly red.

Persimmons are pretty orange though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Amazon just bought Goodreads. I hope there's some killer integration with the Kindle reader in an upcoming firmware.

Based on precedent, the most likely outcome is that Goodreads gets run into the ground so it can't compete with amazon's own rating and review system.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Autumncomet posted:

Is that what ended up happening to Shelfari? :ohdear:

And Mobibocket and Stanza. RIP Goodreads.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 29, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't think it's fair to say that for Mobipocket. Mobipocket's tech is what runs all their reading stuff, they bought them 2 years before the Kindle came out.

The used Mobipocket's format for Kindle, but Mobipocket's existing customers got screwed when they cut off support for their software.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They stopped maintaining it a lot earlier than that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder what one of those would cost if all that it had to do was convert handwritten pages to pdf and save them in the cloud somewhere? No ebook/pdf rendering, no web browser, and no bookstore. Just infinite notepad.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 18, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Amazon Babes
there are 7 more that are :NSFW: because of fantasy boobs. Here's the album http://imgur.com/a/iy1to

I thought the entire point of an ereader was that people around you didn't have to know that you were reading books about fantasy boobs.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Amazon must only give you that option if you own a physical kindle. I do not.

If you don't have an actual Kindle device then the only option is the install the Kindle app on a desktop computer, download the books that you want, then retrieve the .azw files from wherever the app hides them on your hard drive.

edit: The Kindle cloud reader has an offline reading option so there may be a way to retrieve a file from your browser's cache after downloading it that way. I don't see anywhere obvious to find the downloaded files with a quick look through my Chrome user directory though.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 5, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tarepanda posted:

The desktop or wherever you saved them?

I mean, I hate DRM as much as the next guy but this is going overboard.

Wherever the app keeps them. On a Mac it is somewhere in ~/Library/. On a PC it is probably somewhere in %userprofile%\Local Settings\ or in %appdata%. The filenames are obfuscated but they will have .azw extensions and the metadata will be there.

Probably there is a way to make Calibre auto-import anything new in that directory.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 5, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The problem is probably more that publishers don't care enough to set up their epub formatting to correctly handle technical stuff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I guess I'm just surprised that people get non-technical books in PDF form to begin with.

:filez:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think House of Leaves is a special case for page layout.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Google "caliber drm plugins"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pympede posted:

I cleaned out a drawer in my kitchen today and found about a hundred bucks in Indigo Chapters gift cards (Canadian) which was a great surprise. However, I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I already use Calibre to load on the free books I download, but have no idea where to get started getting Kobo ebooks onto my Kindle.

Anyone know where to point me to get me started? Or, does anyone want to buy me kindle books and I'll send you my chapters gc numbers? I'd give you a good deal.

Google "kobo drm calibre" for some possibilities.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've switched my country to UK, bought ebooks from amazon.co.uk, then switched back to US without losing access to anything.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They probably mean a hypothetical error message saying something like "Sorry, this ebook is licensed for reading in the UK only" before it dumps you back to the library screen. Amazon doesn't actually do this, though publishers would probably like them to.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ignore the minor updates and just get the major ones unless you are having problems with something. Updates usually come with a pretty good changelog so you can also look and see if anything in the update matters to you (nothing probably does).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
$15.83
Apparently I got ripped off more than you guys.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

I've been repairing the really awful Table of Contents in a large book in Calibre, the problem is that there's hundreds of stray TOC tag things in the HTML files in the format of "<p id="ue261af8b-3721-436f-9b36-437ec202f947">" and the like where the faulty entries led. How can I clear out these unused id tags so that only the ones for the actual entries remain?

In the "Convert" dialog there is a search-and-replace section. Hope you like regexps.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

There is no convert dialog in the edit book system/workflow.

I've never used the edit tool. The S&R option is under the dialog that you use to convert book formats. Right-click -> Convert books -> Convert individually...

I guess you are supposed to make the ToC corrections in the editor then strip out the leftover tags in a conversion.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to customize the new, working tags? Like give them some identifying info that a regexp can detect?

Also, does leaving a bunch of dead ToC anchors in really matter?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah but does it actually affect how the book works/looks?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know exactly how ToCs usually work or whether there is other important formatting stuff in your file, but can you strip out all of the html and regenerate the ToC from scratch?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can't always get what you want.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah the stuff available in the "recommended" section that it is showing me is basically all books that I want to read.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
After signing for the free month and clicking around, the ratio of chaff to wheat is pretty high. I could read stuff from this list for a month, but probably not much longer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

Is it possible to take my purchased ebooks from the Kindle app from Amazon? I bought these books and I want to do whatever I want with it :sparkles: Also, the Kindle app is bad compared to Moon+ Reader.

Google "calibre drm"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got a month or two of reading from it before hitting bottom.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Marvin is basically the best one on iOS, I don't know if they have an Android version.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The two missing sentences can be found at the top of the following page.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What if a meteorite or stray bullet zips by and punctures the ziploc? What then?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would be more worried about molecules diffusing through the plastic in the long term.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've noticed in several ebooks this thing:

The number of "highlighters" changes, but it's almost always 3-4 dotted lines.

What the heck is this?

It is telling you how many people have highlighted that particular passage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

That's how it works? Why don't they sell a license to the library for however many copies people check out. That is really stupid

Publishers hate libraries.