Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anybody had issues with the Pottermore books' formatting? The Kindle-delivered versions randomly have the little bits of artwork at the beginning of chapters left-aligned instead of centered, and the sizes of those pictures don't always seem consistent. The raw epubs are fine, but then you can't use x-ray and all that stuff. No big deal really either way, I just thought that after the long wait for the Potter ebooks and with the ubiquity of the Kindle there'd be a little more polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

900ftjesus posted:

Kindle Touch update 5.10 now with landscape mode:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200790650#download

Has anybody done this to a jailbroken Kindle yet?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Did they ever fix the formatting on the Pottermore books for Kindle? The pictures they are using to advertise their addition to the lending library looks corrected, which is kind of disingenuous if they're still messed up. :spergin:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Not to double post, but it appears that the formatting on the Kindle for the Pottermore books is fixed. I have a Kindle Touch, so I'm not sure whether it was the update to allow KF8 that fixed or, or if Pottermore or Amazon updated the books. I did have to redeliver the books to my Kindle via Amazon to have the changes show up.

Edit: Well the drop caps are all hosed up now but that's less annoying than the chapter headings being misaligned. None of these things are dealbreakers, it's just that you'd think with the popularity of the series they'd try a little harder not to have too many formatting errors.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 11, 2012

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there any way to buy a book from amazon.co.uk with a US Kindle? William Gibson's "Virtual Light" isn't available on the US store (even though the other two books in the trilogy are on there) and I'm going insane with anger.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I want to do a backbreaker on whoever started the trend of putting spaces between paragraphs in ebooks. I have my Kindle set on a pretty small font size, so it's not that bad, but dialogue is painful to read when formatted that way and it's just distracting in general.

Is there any easy way to use Calibre or Sigil to get rid of that? Every time I've tried Calibre's "remove spaces between paragraphs" option, it just just pretty much deletes every carriage return in the whole book and ruins chapter headings and stuff like that.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I'm trying to imagine this but Im having trouble picturing this

Would it be possible to give me an example?

My speculation: You might probably be able to use regex and find/replace in Sigil to fix this, but I would have to see exactly what it is to help you out with that

I'm posting from my phone, so I'm relying on GIS, but the first picture at this link shows what I'm talking about : http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/08/15/mind-your-en-and-em-dashes-typographic-etiquette/

In my opinion, the example on the left (with an indentation and no space) is correct, while the example on the right (with no indentation but with a space between paragraphs) makes me insane. On certain books with a lot of dialogue it takes up huge amounts of space because there is a space between each individual line of dialogue.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Aurelius posted:

<snip>

You'll want to take care to not remove any paragraph spacing that's required for clarity - like the spacing that shows a POV or scene change within a chapter. Of course, you'll also have to remove the DRM in order to make these changes.

Once you're finished, convert your epub back to kindle format.

Thanks, I'll have to root around in some of the books I've had trouble with. Losing the POV and scene change stuff has been my concern also, and my attention to that is why I find having a space between every paragraph so distracting; my brain sees a double space and automatically goes "oh this is a new thing."

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
There's a lot of anti-Kindle Touch stuff in the last couple of pages, but as a KT owner I have to say I haven't minded the touchscreen one bit. It makes holding the thing a lot more flexible, because all you have to do to turn the page is be able to touch even the corner. I hardly have any accidental turns from blankets or anything like that, and my screen never really shows much in the way of fingerprints. Having both the touchscreen and the buttons would be great, but the missing buttons really shouldn't be the dealbreaker that some people are making them out to be.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Install Gentoo posted:

And using a non-touch device with real buttons I have 0 accidental turns from things brushing the device and 0 fingerprints, and that's the way I like it.

Fair enough on the accidental turns, but if you have to stand in direct sunlight and slowly turn the Kindle until you figure out at what angle you can finally see a fingerprint, I don't think it really counts. The matte screen really doesn't show anything unless you've been sneezing directly onto it.

Of course this is SA, where there are semi-regular references to people having to use a razorblade to scrape hand gunk out of the crevices in their game console controllers, so maybe people are right to be worried about the sanctity of any screen they have to physically touch.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So this is fake lighting? As in, you couldn't read this in the dark, correct?

I was actually thinking of replacing my Kindle Touch with a Paperwhite one, but not if it's just dicking with the contrast/brightness...

No, I think it's the other way around. It's real lighting, but the illusion of "whiteness" and higher contrast of the new screen seems to be caused, at least in part, by the lighting. So, if you are reading with the light off, the screen doesn't appear to be that different from the kTouch or 4th Gen Kindle.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

thecallahan posted:

I've only had the Paperwhite for a few days now but I've managed to do something annoying multiple times. When trying to go forward one page, it somehow jumps multiple pages, sometimes 7 or 8 pages. Has this happened to anyone?

This probably means you are swiping up or down, which is supposed to take you to the next "chapter" break, but some ebooks just have weird breaks in seemingly random places.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
And yet it won't read epub natively for some reason.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a reason why my Paperwhite never updates on its own? I don't really mind having to plug it in when I have access to a computer but it just seems sort of weird that it never seems to get pushed to me.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bull3964 posted:

It's physically built better. The main highlights are the magnesium case and the flush micro-etched glass for the screen.

I never wanted to spend the money on a Voyage but the flush screen is so loving cool.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wish they'd make another glass front reader. The new Paperwhite and the Voyage have the same PPI but the Voyage looks a ton better. Not that it really matters for books, it's just cool.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm not the person you were asking, but off the top of my head: lovely indenting, lovely fonts, lovely line spacing, and hosed up footnotes. Pirate OCRs of out of print sci-fi books from the 70s are better typeset than like half the commercially edited and published ebooks I buy.

That said, I've mostly stopped manually repairing ebooks since Koreader has an option to turn off embedded styles when reading and that fixes 99% of the issues.

Isn't Whispersync just the same "buy books and have them loaded on your e-reader over the internet" thing that all Kobos have, except over the cell network rather than wifi? Are you out of wifi coverage often enough that that's a problem?

DRM is the same story, Kobo and Kindle e-readers both use DRM, they just use different formats. So if you're habitually stripping DRM from the books you buy for your Kobo, wouldn't you be doing the same thing for your Kindle books?

I don't have this problem as much as I used to when I had my first Kindle, but there were tons of books on Amazon that have a full space between every paragraph and it used to make me insane. Haven't seen this in a while, though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm on my second Kindle and have always bought the ad ones (Kindle Touch and then Paperwhite 2) but one day the ads on my Paperwhite disappeared and then when I went to clean up my Touch to give to my mother-in-law the ads were gone there too. Jeff Bezos is trying to gently caress.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I want the buttons so bad but not $250 bad.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Silly Burrito posted:

Want a Kindle Voyage with a leather origami case? I like the buttons it has but man those Oasis buttons are definitely better.

I told myself I wouldn't upgrade until my Paperwhite 2 breaks so never unfortunately.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

sourdough posted:

All cases are awful, part of what makes a Paperwhite so good is it's really thin and light!

Also I went from a last gen to current gen solely to get the flush screen, and it's probably just about worth it especially since I'll keep it for a long tkme. Cost like $30ish after selling the old one and getting a new one refurb from Amazon.

Do you feel like the screen is blurry at all compared to the last gen Paperwhite? I've read some complaints that the screen has some kind of film over it that affects the sharpness but it seemed pretty nitpicky.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Just said gently caress it and pre-ordered a new Oasis too. I never early-adopt so you can all thank me when this ships with some kind of horrible design flaw

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My Kindle library is a mess of Amazon purchases, stuff I e-mailed to my Kindle (which show up in the cloud) and stuff a sideloaded (which don't). When I get my new one can I just copy a folder from one Kindle to the other as long as the account is the same or is it more complicated than that? Related, are collections I made on the Kindle reflected in the cloud and if not can I copy those over too?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RichterIX posted:

Just said gently caress it and pre-ordered a new Oasis too. I never early-adopt so you can all thank me when this ships with some kind of horrible design flaw

Well not a design flaw but apparently they hosed up the pre-orders in the US and a bunch of people (myself included) have had their orders delayed until an estimated July 31 so you're welcome everybody.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
That'll teach me to order the cheapest one!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I couldn't use the phone service but they stonewalled me on chat about it. They didn't have a problem charging my card for it though, even though it was supposed to charge me when it ships. I'm not super worked up about it, but I haven't seen anyone actually receive theirs yet so somebody hosed up and the Reddit brigade is mad

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Online scuttlebutt is saying that the wake feature isn't working on a bunch of third-party cases, so I'm guessing the case companies just labeled their Oasis 2 cases as fitting (which isn't strictly a lie) without checking to see if the magnets are in the same place. Apparently some of them have removed Oasis 2019 from their list of compatible devices since the device released.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I posted in here that Amazon customer service stonewalled me when I complained about my preorder getting delayed, but the rep mentioned that he would out a priority note on my order. I figured he was just BSing, but I got a shipping notification just now for next day air. Could be a coincidence but I figured it was worth mentioning in case anyone's order is still delayed.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, this new Oasis is pretty cool. I like the hand feel and I like how I can switch hand to hand by turning it upside down.

It's weird that the top button advances the page rather than the bottom button but I understand why.

I have spent the whole weekend reorganizing my calibre library so I can do a "clean" import to the new kindle, rather than actually reading.

I switched the buttons at first but it didn't take me long to realize the top button is way more comfortable to use to advance

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/WALNEW-Kindle-Sleeve-Protective-Insert/dp/B07GS1CCNC

It works fine, the material is a little rougher and felt-ier than I expected it to be but it's not bad. I wanted to avoid one with magnets because my last sleeve with a magnet enclosure kept turning my Paperwhite off and on, but you could probably look at any of the other Walnew sleeves and they'd all be fine.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I bought a 2nd gen kindle oasis to replace the 2015 Voyage I had and jfc, the battery life on the new Oasis is worse than the battery life on the four year old Oasis. Very cool

Yeah I moved from a Paperwhite 2 to an Oasis 3 and I miss not having to charge for like a month. I still get like a week though so it's not really that bad I guess.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've sat in my office chair at night reading after the lights were off (so the night light function was on) and watched the battery go from 98% to 89% over the course of an hour. Extremely not kindle.

Do you have the wifi on or have it set to do a full refresh per page? It's annoying to turn the wifi on and off when I need it but it greatly extended my battery life.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I was a long time Nook user and swapped to an Oasis in 2017. Converting from ePUB has been zero hassle. Even if it was, being able to email stuff directly to the device from Calibre has been lifechanging.

My generation doesn't have the color temperature adjustment. Has anybody observed any significant benefits from switching to a model with warmth adjustment? If it's major, I might try to trade up.

I haven't noticed my sleep quality improving our anything but the warm light is way more comfortable to look at in a dark room. I never had any problem with my old Paperwhite but now when I see the screen on it I feel like I grimace involuntarily

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I really like the form factor of the Oasis and that necessitates the smaller battery, but I keep wondering why they don't just make an Oasis that is exactly the same but uniform in thickness. You could still flip it from hand to hand and the battery would go back to lasting a month instead of a week.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I came from a Paperwhite to the new Oasis so I'm not sure how the battery life on the Voyage was, but one thing to consider is that instead of my Paperwhite's "oh yeah it's been 3 months I'd better charge this thing" battery the Oasis has me charging every week or so. That's not a huge burden for me because I'm usually reading at home but if you're someone who needs to not charge your Kindle often the Oasis definitely takes a hit in that regard. However, the new Oasis is worlds more comfortable to hold for me. Being able to just turn the thing over and switch hands is great.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Buff Hardback posted:

I will cling to my Voyage for dear life until Amazon finally adds USB-C to the Kindle line.

I bought an Oasis in spite of the micro USB port but man it is the shittiest feeling charging port I have ever used, even compared to other micro USB devices. Every time I plug it in it feels like I'm breaking it somehow.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

64bit_Dophins posted:

Nice sounds good to me. I'm going to give it another month before I make the purchase. It's pretty low on my list of priorities at the moment and for the time being I can plug my kindle in every other day it really isn't that much of a pain.

Leaving aside all the stuff about whether warm light is better at bedtime or whatever, the yellow is just more pleasant to look at in general. I leave the backlight on with the yellow tint all the way up even if I'm reading in a well-lit room just because it takes some of the edge off the grayness of the eink screen.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TheAardvark posted:

I don't like the oasis's one handed design at all. I've had mine for a year and a half, and it works, but if they ever release a new voyage I'm going back immediately.

I must switch hands a lot more than the average Kindle reader because I get frustrated by it on a daily basis.

The "no longer fits in my back pocket" problem is also very annoying.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I love the form factor of the Oasis and I actually find it easier to use flipped than others just because it has such a large handhold on the side. However, if they marketed "Kindle Oasis but the battery lasts as long as the Paperwhite" I would trade it in in a heartbeat.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

LionArcher posted:

My paper white from last year is great, the only changes I would make are the warm lit thing, more battery life always (though it's fine) and most importantly, UCB C.

be careful if you say USB C into the eReader thread 3 times someone comes and yells at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I could be wrong but I think the issue with the Oaais is that the weird form factor necessitates a lil bitty battery, at least compared to what's in the PW