Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I've been using AE to warp stabiliser a bit. It appears if you quit AE, you have to re-analyse the footage. Very annoying if you have a long clip.

Am I missing something or is there a way to store that data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Well, that's interesting. It's the same in CS6 and CC for me. I'm using the most recent version updates too.

I'm using an iMac, late 2012 model. OSX version 10.8.4. I'm wondering if i'm hitting a bug or a lack of memory thing- I have 8GB of ram.
Did a bit of a google search, but couldn't find much on the subject.

Edit: Perhaps it's an AE cache thing? Do you have a big-ish cache? I think mine is set at 80GB.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 6, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Interesting. Mostly they're under 30 seconds, 1 is about a minute. I had about 4-5 shots done and analysed.
This has happened to me on two projects though, so i'm trying to figure the cause exactly-Sometimes they take a long time (20 minutes).

If it's just the ram, i'll definitely just boost that. I will be doing a reinstall when 10.9 comes out, so hopefully that will resolve it. Could just be a bug.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Moon Potato posted:

I haven't had any issues with warp stabilizer analysis being thrown out on AE CS5.5 or CS6 with OSX 10.7.X.

Insufficient RAM shouldn't cause problems like that under OSX, but I guess you never know with Adobe. A corrupted install/preferences or a bug are much more likely to be the culprit.

It's just me then. Dammit. Well, thanks anyway guys.

I haven't hit any major bugs since CS4. Everyone I met had the same Photoshop CS4 bug.
Might try resetting the prefs before the reinstall, I hadn't thought of that.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Just a note for people upgrading to the new OSX.

Appears that app nap in Mavericks screws with Adobe products like AE and Premiere. At least for me. I've had 5-7 crashes in 3 or so days before I turned it off.

You can turn it off on individual apps by using Get info on the app in finder.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

So uh, is dynamic link between AE and Premiere on cs6 always terrible? It just seems to render black for the majority of my comps. :(

We don't have CC on this machine unfortunate but I've tried relinking and it still fails.

Every dynamic comp is it's own AE file if that helps.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 21, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

BeavisNuke posted:

How are you storing your raw footage? I feel like dynamic link needs a fast RAID to be reliable for longer comps.

Moon Potato posted:

Sometimes minor service updates to Adobe CS programs will delete whatever third party plugins you've installed and make things that worked before render out black. Try reinstalling whatever RAW plugins you're using in both Premiere and AE, and see if that solves the problem.

The footage is just photoshop files I animated in AE at 1920x1080, really basic stuff. The footage is stored locally on a 1TB fusion drive. Most of the clips are 1-5 seconds long.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Moon Potato posted:

That's odd. When you right click on the composition in your Premiere timeline and choose "edit original" does your fully-intact animation open up in After Effects?

Yeah, this is the part that confuses me. I can see them in the premiere bin, and edit original works 100% fine.

Something tells me I hit a big old glitch that is obscure. I'll probably do it the old fashioned "render and replace" files in premiere I guess.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Stuff3 posted:

I feel like this is the right thread for really fancy AE projects but at the same time it doesnt look like that at all.

There's always the motion design thread, I guess. Lot of AE users in there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503135

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I work with a Late 2012 iMac, it's great but things to remember:

1) ram. I would deck your machine out big time, I sometimes do heavy AE motiongraphics with 24gbs of ram-it takes all of it. I'd go with 32gb myself-Adobe CC seems hungrier.
The less you get, the more beach balls you're going to see in my opinion.

2) video card is a mobile card, I think so not as powerful. That said, you can use CUDA. (I could be wrong but isn't ATI not using CUDA or is a gimped version?)

Great machines but sometimes I feel I should have got more bang for my buck. Been an apple customer for ages, and have considered a hackintosh because of this.

I work only at 1080p so your mileage may vary if you work higher than that.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Stereo posted:

Anyone got any tips or ideas on covering up a small lens smudge? It's fairly unobvious until its over a dark surface and I don't have the time to do it frame by frame in PS. Cheers. Using FPC 7.

If you have access to AE I guess you could mocha track it or some nearby pixels and hopefully remove it that way?

I know there's a content aware script out there for AE that may help but I'm not in front of my machine right now.

Lens smudges are the worst. I always love when people with no idea say "we'll fix it in post! :D" because computers are magical one click "fix it" beasts. :(

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

For the nerdier among you, I just found out that Autodesk matchmover and Autodesk composite are now free on all platforms and have been for some time.

I'm not sure how good they are, but free matchmoving and compositing software can only be good right?
I'm sure they are far better than the open source alternatives. Might be good for students too.

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

What is babby's first color, contrast, and tone correction software? Also, I have a Canon T2i that outputs in MOV files, "using variable bitrate MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 compression", would I want to keep it at that for the purposes of advertising webclips, or convert it to something else?

Oh that may answer my question, I know the absolute basics of editing in Premiere, does it have a color/ contrast correction function in it?

Yup, Full Premiere has good colour control but really depends on what you want.

How far are you planning to go? Are you looking to save money? Maybe tell us a bit about what you plan to do exactly in a bit more detail.

If you want beginner, you may be happy with Premiere Elements or iMovie.

Go with the full Premiere in my opinion if you plan to spend a lot of time with this. You also get Photoshop etc with your subscription.

Davinci Resolve Light is also free and it does heavy duty film colour. It's harder to learn but you can edit in it if you have a great machine.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Cyne posted:

I'm not sure if the Windows / Linux versions fair any better, but for what it's worth both of these programs are just awful under OS X. You can tell MatchMover hasn't been optimized for the platform at all, given that it nearly maxes out my CPU just sitting idle and is just slow in general doing anything else. Composite is literally unusable because it crashes when trying to open a project, start a new project or import footage (best part: the Autodesk crash reporter that pops up after this happens hangs while trying to submit my report and has to be force quit). The reality is that both of these applications are showing their age and I'm sure Autodesk is perfectly aware that they are well out-paced by the competition in their respective categories (and even by some of Autodesk's own packages, e.g., Flame and Smoke), so I see this as Autodesk basically saying that they don't give a crap about continuing to support them in any serious capacity and just turning them over to anyone who might find them useful.

It's great to have free options for VFX work, but I'd advise anyone looking to adopt these applications for their project to give them a serious trial run and consider paid alternatives before diving in.

Good to know. I think I won't bother installing those then!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

the_lion posted:

Good to know. I think I won't bother installing those then!

Sorry for the double post, but people might be even more stoked that Fusion was made free today.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

There is a paid upgrade, of course but for free- hot drat!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anyone got any advice on creating slitscan stuff like the tunnel from 2001 in After Effects?

I've been trying to find tutorials and since I'm pretty inexperianced with AE I don't really know enough to figure it out on my own.

I took some close ups of one of those multi-coloured LED fans. I might be able to just render a small slit of that and then stretch it out and apply some 3D to it. I could also just use a still picture but I can't figure out the 3D camera.

Filmmaker iq's site has an article / lesson on recreating it. John Hess used Lego from memory. It's time consuming though-I think he said a day for less than 30 seconds of footage.

Joey Shanks YouTube channel also has a lot of practical special FX, I bet he's got something too.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Looking to upgrade our recording options for students who are using DLSR using multiple mics such as shotguns and lav mics.

They're filming with two sound sources for scenes that they film, and we've been looking at options like the Zoom h6 (no phantom power though), and the various Tascam options like the DR-60D or 100mkII.

We currently have a Zoom h4, but looking at newer options. Anyone have a good suggestion?
The h6 also doesn't have a locking XLR cable from what i've read.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 23, 2015

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Strockrow posted:

Speaking of becoming a colorist, I'm looking to start building color correction as a skill. Additionally, my monitor has recently decided to make one side of the screen magenta and the other green! Can anyone tell me a good starting point for putting together a more sophisticated color pipeline than what a consumer screen attached to a consumer GPU would offer me? Anything too fancy would be wasted on me currently, I'm just starting out. My clients also all want web delivery. That being said, I'd love to get some equipment that I could add onto as I grow over time.

I'd hit up the Liftgammagain forums. I'm no expert, but i've been reading it for a while now and it seems pretty intelligent. I think I read a thread about this exact question a while back.

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php

thehustler posted:

Pretty sure you're right about the locking XLRs but it does do phantom power

BeavisNuke posted:

I've been very happy with my H6. It does have phantom power. I've never accidentally yanked an XLR out, but if your film students are total newbs it could be a consideration.

Must have read the phantom part wrong. Whoops!
Good to know, thanks guys!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Really happy with the Zoom H6 (thanks for the suggestion!).

There doesn't appear to be much on the web about this, but is the only way to use a 3.5mm SmartLav+ (or any lav) is through a converter cable (ie this thing: RODE SC3 3.5MM TRRS TO TRS :http://bit.ly/1e2nccD ) into the X/Y capsule?

Also tried a 3.5mm to 6.5mm converter straight into the slots on the side of the unit, no luck. http://bit.ly/1B5pwts

Hoping there is another solution, because doing that either means:
-The X/Y capsule can't be used at the same time (using the 3.5mm port turns it off).
-Shelling out for XLR Lav mics (bit more expensive).

In an ideal world work would just use xlr for balanced, the smartlav+ units are cheap and good for interviews.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Yeah, we are all stuck in the same boat. New Ae preview method is awful.

I'm teaching it for motiongraphics and students are twice as confused as to how broken it is. I can't get used to it, at least the 2003 (AE 5,i think?) up to 2014 worked and make sense somewhat.

You never have enough ram for AE, it doesn't matter how much you have.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Also another quirk of the 13.5 AE is that I don't get the ability to save when there's a crash. It may be there, but 100% of my crashes so far have just straight up crashed to desktop. Not a single "You have one chance to save this file" dialogue.

edit: And the motion tracker continually crashes AE on simple tracks. Goddamn Adobe is worthless.

You're not getting the auto saves? You can set this in prefs I think. Pretty sure they appear in the same folder as your project file.

I pretty much switched to using mocha for 98% of tracks - it can figure out stuff if it's off-screen or has a semi blurred frame. With the normal tracker, setting it to follow a big area is painful.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

melon cat posted:

How can I achieve this text reveal effect in After Effects? It's just a smokey reveal of a logo. I'm guessing that Trapcode Particular might be involved?

You can either use trapcode form (it's particular on steroids for some stuff) or maybe Particular's layer emitter thing and you should be good to go.

Also check out videocopilot.net - he has a tutorial on text to smoke. It's quite old by now, probably in between tutorial numbers 40-100. All I remember is that the thumbnail is green.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Any using a usb 3.1 or thunderbolt enclosure to edit? Or am I better off with that fast Ethernet NAS someone mentioned a while back.

Long version:

For years I've been using an 8 bay Probox (usb 3) enclosure on my mac. Was great until it started to fail mounting drives. Mostly used for long term storage and editing. I was editing 1080p off it just fine. 4k I'd mostly work off an ssd instead but sometimes I'd use proxies.

I upgraded to a Windows pc, and wondered has anyone any a good usb type C enclosures? Preferably with 4 or more bays. Amazon brings up the TerraMaster-D5-300-External-Enclosure-Diskless which has good ratings. I guess I could get a thunderbolt card for my pc but that seems like an extra step.

I have a poo poo load of data/drives, but I don't think I'm up for lto type solutions just yet.

I'm just a freelancer, not running a huge studio type business.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I usually wait 3 months for them to iron out the major bugs like the above post. Usually AE and premiere change stuff so your plugins need to be updated by the companies before they work. Save yourself the pain.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

This is a Longshot but...

Anyone set up After Effects to use the GPU on a 5k imac (the newest ones) ? It's got a RadeonPro 580 in it and I can't seem to find anything on the web about it. Running GPU sniffer doesn't seem to launch, but I can find the supported card text file that you need to modify. I just need that one line of text I need to input.

I've done it before with Nvidia cards-is it not possible with an AMD one?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

WebDog posted:

Newer versions removed the text file hack. Adobe keeps updating what mercury can support and cards quietly get removed.

Best bet is to use an eGpu as stuff on imacs won't really cut it.

Aha! This was the info I was looking for. Thanks heaps.

Anyone out there using a egpu? Would love to hear people's opinion. We're using AE, premiere and davinci.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Anyone know of a good disk tracking software for Mac?

Short version: we back all our jobs onto external hard drives and give them a unique name. (Yes, we have two backups of each drive in two locations). What is a pain in the rear end is that currently we print a list of what's on the drive and stick it on the front. What would be great is if we could use disk tracking software, search for the job number and then we know which drive it is on.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

So after a bit of research, people recommended silverstack and neofinder. Neofinder I'm thinking of testing when I go back to work, reckon it will do the job!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone still getting really slow renders out of AE? Or am I being a dummy for stubbornly not using Media Encoder?

Try BgrenderMax from aescripts. There's also another app called render garden. Both use more cores than AE.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

I'm a professor doing online instruction in my aviation classes. I want to make my videos seem like they are YOUTUBE INFLUENCER quality.

I'm using final cut pro. Is there a list of plugins that *the community* is using? I'd like a mix of free and paid plugins because I'm cool like that.

I'd argue it's not the plugins you need to match these people. It's more in your lighting, camera and sound setup and then your understanding of post (ie making it better afterwards). The better you do those 3 things, the less post you'll need.

Hit up Indy Mogul, Aputure and maybe Curtis Judd (all on YouTube) to cover those areas.

The only plugins you maybe should take a look at is Film Convert if you are a beginner at colour and Film Convert Nitrate if you need help matching colour between shots.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Whoops, double post.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 15, 2020

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Does anyone know how to do a basic morph effect in Sony Vegas 14? Do I need a plugin for that, and where can I get such a plugin? It's incredibly difficult to find information about this for some reason.

Not to be an idiot, but try "morphing software free pc"in google and you'll find a couple of standalone programs just for that. I remember doing this a long time back, but don't actually the name of the one I used - I just remember it was free and for Mac.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Jst0rm posted:

on big budget stuff it kinda goes like this...

I assume you are talking dialog mostly as you mention noise reduction.

dialog editor -
1. edits out the ticks and spittle and mouth noises (unless wanted)
2. adds noise fill to the mics from the worst angle or mic in a scene.
3. Phase alignment of lav and boom.

Sometimes dx editor will use izotope to get rid of odd material (bird chirps and what not with rx advanced spectral repair)
Sometimes the dx editor will do noise reduction on a clip by clip basis. Capture the noise with learning then process the rest of the dx. Dont push it. Mild is best.

Re-recording mixer.

1. adds more noise reduction as needed
2. adds reverb to match angles and creative reasons
3. raises or lower the volume based on the material.
4. Eqing mics to match adr to match eqing out buzz and hum. Eq can balance the sound of the voice. Something like fabfilter proq 3 has a spectral view that can just show you the peaky bits and what not.

side note... always mix the dialog first. Get that at a comfortable level that is consistent for the material. Mix everything else around it.

if you want to mix things for broadcast or anything really learn about lufs this will address the loudness question.

oh this is my buddies youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/axknickerbocker

he works in the industry and is breaking things down really well for people.

This kicks rear end.

Finally, a channel that looks to not suck about audio. Big thanks for posting this, was finding it hard to get good quality info about this stuff.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Audiojungle is what I use for music, often you can get something for $15 that is good enough.

If you're going the cheap route, I say avoid the rode mics that go on top of the camera. Get a ride lav mic ($50 I think) and just plug it into your phone. The sound off those is way better, they're easy to use and all you need to do is sync it in post (usually, I just clap and say something). You do though, need a program that will know how to sync that (Davinci or premiere).

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got a dumb quick question and can't find a better thread to ask it in, so I'll shoot here:

What's the trick to getting 1080p to look good on Youtube instead of absolutely terrible and excessively compressed? Video source is iPhone, and was at 1030p30 but I'm going to play around with settings until I find something that looks better. Is the problem that iPhones really prefer to use HEVC and I should force H.264? I'm wondering if it's getting converted and recompressed twice when uploading to youtube, once on-device to go from HEVC -> H.264 and again on youtube from H.264 to VP9 and their own H.264 encode. My videos look great when I transfer the HEVC file straight off of the phone to anything else, but uploading them to youtube from the phone turns them into highly compressed mud.

I've read youtube's docs here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4603579?hl=en and they suggest uploading H.264 at an insanely high bitrate, "Bitrates of 50 or 80Mbps are common for videos intended for sale or rental." I guess the next step is to try having the iPhone compress as H.264 instead of HEVC, and seeing if 1080p60 or 4K gets me higher bitrates uploaded to youtube.

Uploading h.264 has always worked for me great. You're on the right track though, I swear I saw people uploading 4k just so that the bit rate would be better.
I'm only uploading 1080p24 but it's rare that I see compression (I upload video tutorials).

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I've used the dongle posted above as well, worked like a champ.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am trying to figure out how to remove some light flickering from a light fixture in a slow motion video. I thought the fast-and-dirty trick was to copy the video stream, offset the copy a frame, and then set that copy's opacity to 50%. This didn't seem to do much of anything for me in Blender. The camera is moving so I can't do something statically to address it either. Are there other tricks for fixing that kind of thing?

There's a deflicker plugin you can buy for after effects ( https://revisionfx.com/products/deflicker/ ) or there's one built into Davinci resolve that I've used in the past.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I work on commercials with mixed footage - sometimes I have RED footage, Sony footage and drone footage. What tends to happen is that we end up with multiple files with names like "DJI_001.MOV" from the drone shooters.

Is there a way to batch rename these to something more useful like "DJI_0001_shootname_location.mov?"

That way we'd know the exact piece of footage every time, people get confused when they're in similarly named folders or whatever.

That said, I'd be open to suggestions from people with more experience in this area.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

powderific posted:

You could also have Hedge or Shotputpro or whatever change the names on offload (if you have control of that part of the process). Or similar to the above windows options, in OSX you can just select all the files and when you right click to rename there's an option to add text and do other things.

That right click command turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

greazeball posted:

Hello, thread. I need some advice on editing for pre-production so I hope that's still ok. Plus it's been about a million years since I did anything properly with video :ohdear:

What's a good tool to make an animatic/plan a branching video? I'm developing an online course and I've got access to a pretty nice video recording studio to make instructional videos. The final output will be an H5P video (you can add interactive elements like menus or quizzes). Basically, I'll be giving instructions for each class session, with buttons users can click to go to another set of instructions if they want them. I have an Adobe Creative Cloud license through the school and a reasonable Windows gaming PC from 2018 at home to work on.

I work best when I can work with the work in progress, if that makes sense. I'm not someone who can really visualise a final product, I needto do a lot of workshopping. Obviously, I don't want to do this with studio time! So I'm looking for something where I can read a script over some basic sketches to figure out what works best and then build a shot list from that. Thanks for any ideas!

Storyboarder by wonderunit is free and good for storyboarding. You can even use 3d models if you can't draw and it's easy to use. Links up with Photoshop if you want it to.

The branching part, you may be better with adobe xd. It's easy to set up clicks and things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Please help me, I'm at my wit's end!

Green screen. Resolve 18. Paid project (but not much!).

This puppet is giving me so much grief. Whatever I try it ends up looking awful.

- 3D Keyer on Edit tab: leaves ugly gray lines around both person and puppet that I can't get rid of (I believe because the puppet has a yellow "aura" around it? See pic)
- Delta keyer on Fusion tab: Person looks great, puppet is transparent in parts and no amount of fiddling looks good
- Tracking in Color tab: constantly misses parts, making it transparent

Is there anything I can do to make the green screen work quickly and efficiently?

I use the 3d keyer in Davinci but then use either simple matte choker or refine hard matte (or refine soft matte) effects in After effects to remove the halo.

What it does is bring the edge pixels in a little, removing the halo around it. If you use refine hard hard matte, the control you want is called shift edge and you want to move it into the minus direction from memory (ie -2 for example).

the_lion fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 28, 2022