Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My dad finally got the go-ahead to walk without crutches; it's been 7 1/2 months since a motorcycle accident shattered his left femur, and he's been going crazy feeling trapped in the house all the time.

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Got a call from the company I sent in a C.V. to yesterday - I have an INTERVIEW ON FRIDAY!!!!

WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Had a job interview for a decent job in a highly rated company, and it went SUPER well. Fingers crossed I get good news from them in a few days.

:f5:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got a call back for a really nice-sounding job I interviewed for last friday - second round interview today!

WOOO!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is AMAZING - I did a 2nd round interview for a job I really want yesterday, and they called bck a couple of hours ago to ofer me the contract!

Huzzah!!!!

The timeline was ridiculous:
- Sent in resume Monday last week
- got a call setting up an interview on the wednesday
- interviewed on friday
- They called to set up a 2nd round interview this monday
- interviewed on tuesday
- job offer today.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So I posted about a month ago in this thread about finally getting a job after being unemployed for a long time, and that the company I now work for is awesome and full of really nice people.

Anyway, a company-wide announcement went out a couple of weeks ago offering a reward for anyone who recommended someone who was subsequently hired.

I recommended a really good guy I worked with in the past, he was interviewed, he's being hired, and I get a free 750 euro in my next paycheck, plus another 750 if his contract is extended.

Awesome.

Eidt to add that it is doubly awesome, free money plus a really nice fellow former games QA person joining my team :)

Pookah has a new favorite as of 11:57 on Jun 26, 2011

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Michael D won the irish presidential election; he is a genuinely good man and will be a great president.

I am delighted :D

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I finally took the lock off the kitchen door to see why the latch doesn't work properly - opened it up to find that the original spring must have been broken or lost a very long time ago, so someone replaced it with a corset spring.

The corset spring was all flat and non-springy, so I replaced it in turn with a springy hair decoration from Claire's.

Lock works perfectly now - I feel so competent.

(also, it another 50 years when someone opens the lock to see why it's not working, they are going to be very puzzled when they find the tiny spring with a pearl on one end.)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My dad's bike was stolen from outside the house yesterday :(

Today, while walking back from the shops and only about 5 minutes from the house, we found it outside a shop so we stole it back again!

Huzzah!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Invictus posted:

Update on this: stepdad had multiple dark spots on both kidneys as well as inflamed lymph nodes indicating likely renal cell carcenoma + metastasization which would likely be a long, painful death sentence for him.

He had a biopsy done a couple days ago to remove the spots on one of the kidneys. Not only were they non-cancerous and smaller than indicated on the scan, but the lymph nodes were benign, and the other kidney is likely fine as well. Plus, the dark spots weren't "in" the kidney, so the surgeon was able to basically scrape them off the outside of the kidney, meaning he didn't have to open the kidney itself, which would have CONSIDERABLY lengthened recovery time and potential damage to the kidney itself. There was an 85% chance of it being cancer, and he happened to be in the 15% not cancer.

It is literally the best possible outcome. In fact, he was only in the hospital for two days, he's already out and home. poo poo's fantastic. Nothing quite like a cancer scare to make you appreciate what you've got in life!
Did you see who took it or investigate at all, they might do it again if he's not locking it up.

That is absolutely wonderful news about your stepdad!

About the bike - We found it while walking back from the shops so we just grabbed it and ran off, we didn't want to hang around and risk getting into a street argument with whoever took it. The fact that it was still so close to where it was stolen kinda suggests that either the thief doesn't have the brains to consider that it is not a good idea to ride around on a stolen bike in the neighbourhood you stole it in , or they already sold it on to someone else. Either way, not someone we wanted to risk meeting.

Bike's all locked up and safe now :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The day started well; I looked out my bedroom window when I woke up and I saw a dolphin swimming south in the morning sunshine, and so far is continuing well as a bunch of books I bought and having been greatly looking forward to have finally turned up after taking a short unexpected trip to Sweden (specifically Malmö).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Going to try making candied peel today - I hear it makes the whole house smell amazing!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just this minute found out that if I pay a small fee (25 euro), I can go alpaca trekking* fairly locally :kimchi:

*it's 2 hours of gentle walking really, but with a friendly alpaca!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Thin Privilege posted:

I am so jealous. For content, my day is awesome because I learned that this is a thing :kimchi:

Think I'm going to bring my mum there for her birthday; she loves walks and big fluffy friendly animals :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

We got a new oven at the end of last year, and I used it back in... february? I think, to bake a christmas cake.

First time using it for a big, slow cake bake, so I was a bit apprehensive. The recipe means I don't get to even open the oven door and look at the cake for 4+hours so that first look was quite a big deal and was not good - the cake looked very dark, possibly even a bit burnt.

:(

However, possibly-burned-cake was used today as a birthday cake and it's fine - not burned on the outside OR raw on the inside!

So I know my standard cake recipe, temperature and timing work in the new oven - this is a great relief, I was not looking forward to tweaking my timings for the next few years to get decent christmas cakes again. Got to get busy and bake another cake for this Christmas now - I might even make 2!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I know it sounds weird, but most traditional christmas cake recipes will tell you to bake the cake at least a month before you plan to eat it - they really don't taste very good otherwise. I've gotten into the habit of making them at least 6 months before we're actually going to eat them, but the risk of problems due to the new oven made me wary of keeping this one til Christmas.

The best christmas cake I ever made was over a year old when it was eaten - they don't go stale or 'off' since they are basically a solid block of dried fruit mixed with fat, sugar and brandy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I baked a christmas cake yesterday, and I'm going to bake another one tomorrow.

The whole house smells delicious!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mikl posted:

It's two full months until Christmas, isn't it a bit too early to be baking cakes? :raise:

Nope - strangely it's actually a bit late :) I make old-fashioned rich fruit cakes which need to mature for at least a couple of months before you eat them, so I like to get it done by late-September. Best one we ever had was one that had been baked for the previous christmas, I think it was about 14-15 months old when it was eventually eaten. As long as you pack them up carefully in greaseproof paper, they keep for an extremely long time.

Cake number 2 is in the oven right now - out in 4 hours!

Pookah has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Oct 25, 2018

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

After a few days of humming and hawing I finally bought some CBD oil to see if it'd help with my anxiety/depression and... I think it's working?

Yeah, I know placebo effect is very possible but it's been a couple of hours and my mind just feels a lot quieter and less tetchy than usual so I don't really care if it's placebo effect or genuine, as long I feel this much better :)

edit: it does work AAAAA! I vaguely noticed that I was starting to get irritated by little things again and looked up how long CBD lasts and I was getting annoyed because it was wearing off. This is huge for me, even if I don't use it all the time, just knowing I can take some and safely give my mood a lift whenever I want is letting me feel really hopeful :unsmith:

edit2: VVV That tiling is smooth VVV

Pookah has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Apr 16, 2019

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

GWBBQ posted:

This past weekend was the two year anniversary of my mom's diagnosis of advanced stage IV pancreatic cancer with two weeks to two months to live and she's in remission.

That is marvellous.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

After a few days of humming and hawing I finally bought some CBD oil to see if it'd help with my anxiety/depression and... I think it's working?

Yeah, I know placebo effect is very possible but it's been a couple of hours and my mind just feels a lot quieter and less tetchy than usual so I don't really care if it's placebo effect or genuine, as long I feel this much better :)

edit: it does work AAAAA! I vaguely noticed that I was starting to get irritated by little things again and looked up how long CBD lasts and I was getting annoyed because it was wearing off. This is huge for me, even if I don't use it all the time, just knowing I can take some and safely give my mood a lift whenever I want is letting me feel really hopeful :unsmith:

edit2: VVV That tiling is smooth VVV

Just wanted to come back to this in case it's of interest to anyone else - I've been continuing to take CBD oil every day for the last 2 weeks and the effect it's had on my anxiety and general mood is extraordinary. I literally haven't this well and happy in years. Stuff's loving magic.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Scathach posted:

That's hella cool and I'm excited for you! I have tried CBD isolate and it worked a little. Gonna try to oil for the anxious days. Thanks!

I'm so excited for me! I really hope it works for you too - from what I've been reading its effect can be very individual but it really seems to be strong against anxiety. I've been harassing* family into trying it since anxiety/depression runs on both sides hard but getting anxious/depressed people to try strange new things is tough.

*by 'harass' I mean I told them about it, I haven't been bombarding them with articles on the magic power of CBD; I know how counter-productive that can be.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 08:23 on May 2, 2019

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

queserasera posted:

I've been seriously thinking about taking CBD as a daily pill right alongside my other meds. This may be the push to actually get me to do it.

Give it a whirl - from everything I've read it'll either help or do nothing, no negative side effects. (Still check for any possible interactions with your meds tho, just to be triple-y cautious)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Reading about everyone elses good news is a great boost to my day, plus I just heard that my order from betterworldbooks has been shipped! So in a couple of weeks I'll start receiving parcels of Gladys Mitchell and Edmund Crispin crime novels.

I am so excited!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

Peppa Pig has caused my daughter to start calling me "DAtty" in a little British accent, which is probably the greatest development in my life since I discovered I could breathe

This is painfully cute :3:

edit: Is it like this accent? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTpVI93hddY
(Video is very sweet and no-one is disappointed by their terrible gifts)

Pookah has a new favorite as of 10:32 on Jun 5, 2019

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

Haha aww, she just turned two so it's less developed than that, but she's definitely doing the same sing-songy voice as this. We're painfully American so it really leaps out from the lovely upstate NY accent.

That's too adorable :D

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I took a chance on my old bag of henna being still good after more than a year of sitting open in a press, and it absolutely was!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Picnic Princess posted:

I did my first hike after being declared in remission from Lyme and two coinfections. I performed better than when I would do 6 summits a summer, before I got really sick. It really makes it seem that I was sicker for longer than I thought, because one symptom is air hunger, which can trigger exercise induced asthma. Which has been an issue plaguing me since at least 2004. I walked up a steep slope for 400 vertical meters on a 2km trail, and did not have any asthma symptoms whatsoever. It's absolutely blowing my loving mind to just not have loving asthma anymore. It dominated my outdoor life for years and years and years. I can't even imagine what I'll be capable of when I get into shape again.

I am so happy for you, finally feeling well after a long long illness is the best loving feeling in the world.

I'm feeling pretty good today because a few weeks ago I complained about the labelling of a CBD oil I was taking, and the company sent me a big huge bottle as an apology! (I also feel guilty because it wasn't that big of a deal and this stuff is expensive and I really wasn't fishing for free stuff when I complained and and and... anxiety - poo poo better take some oil )

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got a big bottle of Eau de Rochas and a nifty pair of trousers for hardly any money in the thrift shop.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That's pretty much the best possible outcome! (barring the 'bit of ham' scenario of course)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The end wall of our garden developed a huge, possibly old wall-topplingly huge, overhanging growth of ivy and I was dreading having to deal with it because getting access to the base of the stems looked like being a serious pain in the rear end - it's behind a workshop which is surrounded by thick shrubbery laced with brambles.

But I went down there this morning with gloves and a loppers and it was actually quite easy! The overhang of the workshop roof kept the sides pretty clear of growth so I was done in about half an hour. The mass on top of the wall should die off soon and become much lighter, and we can pull it down and drag it away then. The main stem was a whopper though - about 12-14 inch circumference.

Those brambles though, they are going to be a nightmare to deal with - but that's a fight for another day (and for someone else!)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have a favorite little kitchen knife that I have protected for years and my parents just brought me back another 4 identical ones from France.

I have an actual stash of lovely sharp little knives now :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just got an unopened box of Yves Rocher Cedar Wood and Lime for 5 euro in a thrift shop - I liked the decription of the actual scents in it, but was a bit dubious because all the reviews harped on about it being 'resolutely masculine' 'super-manly' 'oh my god so goddam butch you'll grow an extra testicle' which I thought probably meant it has that kind of default Manly Cologne smell, which I do not like at all and, being a relatively young woman I also do not want to smell like someone's grandpa.
Turns out it's absolutely gorgeous! - I get the same kind of feel from it that I get from Un Jardin Sur le Nil, which is my all-time favourite perfume, but which I cannot currently afford.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My dog had to go to the vet's earlier today for dental treatment, which meant general anesthesia -I just got a call to say he's awake and sitting up :3:

(I was horribly afraid something would go wrong and he wouldn't wake up at all :( )

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Years ago I got a 3/4 length corduroy coat that fitted beautifully and looked great on me. Unfortunately I then gained weight and the coat stopped looking so good :( A couple of years ago I lost a load of weight again, and managed to shrink right past my lovely coat so I still didn't get to wear it.
Yesterday I found an almost exact duplicate of the coat - same brand and stying, slightly different colour and in my current size, in a thrift store for 10 euro, plus it had just been dry-cleaned!

I am ridiculously happy about this danged coat :D

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hirayuki posted:

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years back. It's apparently a slow-growing type, the kind that won't become fatal until ten years after he's probably already died from something else. It's more or less under control. He mentioned it to his cousin earlier this year, and his cousin encouraged him to get in touch with the VA, that it might have something to do with his stint in Vietnam and the Agent Orange he encountered while there. So this summer he did all the paperwork and got into their system to possibly be considered for, I guess, reparations of a sort. He saw a VA doctor last month and has been waiting to hear back.

Today he found out the government will compensate him at 100 percent disability. They sent him a check for a significant amount of money, thousands of dollars, more than three times his monthly government pension. That was backpay dating to when he first filed the paperwork this June; he'll continue getting a check for about 75 percent of his pension every month. My parents were stunned. They haven't been struggling financially, exactly, but they've been putting off small household projects that are decades overdue and worrying about some potential new medical expenses on the horizon. This is such a huge weight off their shoulders, and I'm so happy for them. (And I'm glad my dad is doing okay.)

That's marvellous - a real case of something good coming from something bad. Hope your dad's health stays good :)

My latest awesomeness: I found a perfect christmas present for my mother, who is a fairly new vegan who has a lingering love for leather handbags. Yesterday I found a beautiful, high-quality portuguese leather bag in a thrift store so she gets to have the bag but not the guilt of buying it new!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BioEnchanted posted:

So she's Vegan Buffalo Bill. "I won't eat you... but I love your SKIN!"

Pretty much.
We do not question the ethical inconsistencies, doing so causes much irritation.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's early, but my day is already made awesome.

I'm early in the process of knitting a blanket for one of my brothers (with another planned for the other one). Sat down to pick it up this morning, and looked at it going "Something isn't right here." I thought I was going to have to start the whole thing over, but I was able to find where I'd made the mistake, and rip out to just past it, and pick up from there. Still a set back, but far, far less of on than starting over entirely would have been.

Nice! There's something extremely satisfying about repairing a knitting mistake - its usually so drat fiddly and so easy for it to go horribly wrong (though that might just be because I am not exactly an expert knitter :blush: )

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I keep telling myself I should use lifelines, but then I never do. I was sweating bullets the whole time, because man, picking up stitches in garter stitch is no fun at all.

I know, any time I do it I somehow manage to pick up a bunch of stitches the wrong way around. I tell myself that it just adds character and makes sure that no-one thinks the item was just shop bought. Like that is a thing that anyone would ever think about my knitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I keep finding gorgeous Christmas party dresses for half-nothing in thrift shops!