Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We took in a beautiful, loving stray cat last October; he still liked to go outside now and then, but always came home to us. Late last month we learned he was from a house just down the road, though his owners never came looking for him or seemed at all concerned that he had been, you know, gone for nearly half a year.

Then two Saturdays ago the original owner showed up and took the cat back to give to his daughter, and that was that. We put away all of the cat's stuff and tried to move on.

When I came home this evening, the cat was meowing at our door. :3: He's home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My silver status on Delta got me and my husband upgraded to Comfort+. While at the gate, we were upgraded further to first class! It was a tiny little plane and only an hour flight, but awesome nonetheless. I'd never gotten a complimentary upgrade before. :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Here's a good source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/27/trump-transgender-military-ban-no-modification-241029

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's finally cool enough to wear my new and absolutely kick-rear end Frye boots--and they look and feel great, right out of the box.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

I just realized it’s thursday and there’s a new 60 Days In! I’m working crazy hours so I have no idea what day it is usually so when I realize it’s a Thursday- happens every week- I am very excited.
poo poo, did my DVR miss it?? :ohdear:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I finished my daily quota of work in a reasonable amount of time, then celebrated/unwound by watching last week's 60 Days In, which had just been added to On Demand. (Thanks again!)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'd just bought NieR: Automata for PC and was really looking forward to playing it, but it's too much for my basic graphics card even on the lowest settings. I didn't really want to spend ~$240 on what seemed like a pretty frivolous purchase for someone who's not a huge gamer, and the used markets are weird because of Bitcoin-mining and poo poo. So I was disappointed and resolved to wait for a deal when I learned about eBay's today-only coupon, 20 percent off (nearly) any order of $25 or more, with a $100 savings cap. I bought a brand-new better-than-rock-bottom entry-level card from Newegg and saved $48.

Share my joy! PSPRING20

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The notoriously DGAF folks at the police's Abandoned Vehicles desk finally put a big ol' neon green warning sticker on my neighbor's van, which hasn't moved since before Christmas.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I got all the plants I needed and wanted to plant outside this summer, and I'm really excited to get down to planting them. I also volunteered for an extra work project that I don't need, but enjoy--easy money. That might be what keeps me from the garden, though.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Astrofig posted:

Just found out that the NRA is in dire financial straits and seemingly on its last legs.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/
The best part of this is all the people tweeting "Thoughts and prayers!" at them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I went in for my new driver's license, and my picture looks just like the one on my old license from ten years ago. Not bad for a budding old.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We got a letter saying our son was awarded a sizeable scholarship to summer art camp because of his major and because he'd attended this past summer. He loved it so much and was really excited about going back. I can't wait to tell him in the morning (he was asleep when we got the mail).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I decided on a whim to check for one of my favorite pairs of pants in another color, and though they were mostly sold out due to a big sale (ending today), they still had my size in the color I most wanted--and for an extra half off the sale price! They'll arrive in time for my upcoming trip, too.

eta: I have a friend from high school (going back some 25 years now) whom I keep avoiding for various reasons. The first cracks appeared during the whole Bush-Gore thing, when she said, in all seriousness, that she sure hoped Bush would win because he was so good-looking. I made a mental note not to have a serious conversation with her ever again. She still emails me dumb poo poo from high school, to which I respond with the digital equivalent of a nod and a smile. I don't want to have to have The Conversation, but I don't know if what's left of this friendship will ever die off on its own. Kudos to those who've taken the plunge.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Jan 22, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That was fantastic. Thank you.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, poo poo--if that's the Ferndale I'm thinking of (MI), I'm not far from it, either. :aaa: I always knew it as a funky, liberal town, but it's heartening to hear how frankly welcoming it is. I should try to stop by this month, spend some money and show my support.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Account McAccount posted:

I just saw that some people actually started to believe that something a goon made as a meme was true. I'm dying laughing.
Which meme was it? C'mon, share the awesome!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

More like oldstressless

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wonderful news! You must all be so relieved.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Intoluene posted:

Speaking of stable incomes, mine became stable enough for a car loan so I am now the proud owner of a brand new car.

I know someone will say it's crap but I bought a Honda Civic.
That's a good car! And reliable, too, so you won't be paying through the nose on repairs. Congratulations!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years back. It's apparently a slow-growing type, the kind that won't become fatal until ten years after he's probably already died from something else. It's more or less under control. He mentioned it to his cousin earlier this year, and his cousin encouraged him to get in touch with the VA, that it might have something to do with his stint in Vietnam and the Agent Orange he encountered while there. So this summer he did all the paperwork and got into their system to possibly be considered for, I guess, reparations of a sort. He saw a VA doctor last month and has been waiting to hear back.

Today he found out the government will compensate him at 100 percent disability. They sent him a check for a significant amount of money, thousands of dollars, more than three times his monthly government pension. That was backpay dating to when he first filed the paperwork this June; he'll continue getting a check for about 75 percent of his pension every month. My parents were stunned. They haven't been struggling financially, exactly, but they've been putting off small household projects that are decades overdue and worrying about some potential new medical expenses on the horizon. This is such a huge weight off their shoulders, and I'm so happy for them. (And I'm glad my dad is doing okay.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Werong Bustope posted:

Me and my sister both thought the phrase was "a goose walking over your grave" and this made perfect sense to us.
Shouldn't it?

https://www.waywordradio.org/goose-walking-over-a-grave/

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Werong Bustope posted:

This is huge; we've both been roundly ridiculed because the phrase is supposedly "a ghost walking over your grave." I feel so vindicated right now.
The default expression is just "someone"; "a/the goose" (or "a rabbit," apparently) is a variation in the States.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I found a very local (and reasonably priced) source for a perfume I bought in Italy a while back. I'd been rationing it since I had no idea if I'd ever be able to buy more. This store has the entire line in both full-size spray and travel roll-on sizes, so I can try other varieties, too!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We've officially paid off our mortgage! A 30-year mortgage, paid off in just over 18 years. :woop:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The weather was glorious. I helped my husband scrub our deck, and upon rinsing it with a high-powered spray hose attachment, we discovered the "focused beam" setting cleaned between the planks like a drat Waterpik. It was viscerally satisfying.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Today is my mom's 70th birthday. The weather was glorious all day. I took her to a nursery so I could help her pick out some plants and planters for my folks' redecorated living room, then to Target, where she had literally not been in a year to the day--we used to go about every other week. (Her last birthday was also the last time our family has been in a restaurant; we used to do that weekly.)

Our joint gift arrived: a year's subscription to a fancy sausage/salami/pate-of-the-month club, which she loved. All our gifts went over well.

We were going to order in from a nicer restaurant in the neighborhood for dinner, but her friend insisted on also sending over an array of amazing homemade appetizers that were all exactly to Mom's taste. We'd secretly orchestrated it over a month; she had no idea. Everything warmed up perfectly, and it was all so delicious and filling that we skipped the restaurant entirely.

We ended the day by watching a John Mulaney special and laughing ourselves sore over an excellent tiramisu. And my husband handled the clean-up.

My folks are both fully vaccinated, and just in time for us to be able to celebrate together. The cherry on top of all this is that our state announced it's opening up vaccinations to my cohort on the 22nd and to all adults on April 5. It was an awesome day.

e: I should mention that it was a little breezy, hence Mom's note at the end of the day: "Thank you again for the great day!  I would change only one thing:  gently caress that wind."

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Mar 13, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Today I found a site that's like, more upscale e-bay I guess (https://poshmark.com) and a whole bunch of resellers have VS bras in my size!! In the pretty patterns!!! New in packaging!!!! I get my cake and I get to eat it too because VS doesn't get my money gently caress yeahhh :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah:
As someone who is in the very unhappy and frustrating throes of trying to find a new bra from scratch--entirely online--I am really happy for you! This is the ideal! I think people who don't wear bras don't realize what a loving chore it is to find exactly the right one. :hfive: Stock up!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A complete stranger hit on me today. No one has ever done that to me, not in all my fortysome years--not even my husband of twenty years this month. He spoke with respect, even awe, and I was positively tickled to death.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I got my second shot today, and with that, my household is fully vaccinated. I can't wait for those improved download speeds!
You gotta wait two weeks for it to be fully effective!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love sours! I'll be sure to keep you in mind if I ever make it back up to Toronto. :cheersbird:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

For the past couple of weeks, my husband and I have been noodling around, researching what's essentially my/our dream car, building our ideal model, looking for it all over. (It's a Volvo wagon--not too common these days.) My husband is having a hard time acknowledging that our 2001 Forester is on its way out, even after he allowed that a crucial part of the transmission was starting to act up again and we were not going to pay for repairs. He was slightly better than lukewarm about getting a new car.

Today the Volvo dealer we'd been working with says they have a wagon arriving in December that has everything we want, nothing we don't, and a couple of very nice extras. It's even the right color combo. My husband said it felt like a sign, I agreed, and we put our deposit down! :neckbeard:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

I just heard the news that, after nearly a year and a half stuck in my parents spare bedroom, I will be moving out in December!
Congratulations! I remember how much you'd wanted to get started in Japan and how frustrating it was to have COVID poo poo all over your plans. Fingers crossed that things continue to proceed apace. I think you'll like it there. :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

How do I get on your gift list? That looks great! (Love the coaster, too.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I got engaged last night. :3:
Congratulations!! 🥂

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Where else are you gonna put the ring? :rolleyes:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My kid finally passed his driver's test! Now I get to be worried about him every time he's on the road. :woop: :ohdear:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That is extremely cool, and I'm glad your mom is back home!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My husband was sworn in as a US citizen. I played the first verse and chorus of Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" really loving loud on the way home, then promised never to play it again. :patriot:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

oldpainless posted:

My congratulations on your significant others becoming American Citizens and my condolences on your significant others becoming American Citizens.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. But now he can vote! Registered on the way out of the ceremony, in fact. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is more of a cool little thing that happened and not necessarily enough to make my entire day awesome, but: We found a geocache right in our backyard. It had been hanging on a tree branch on our property, but on the public side of the fence; it contained a log and a pretty purple hair-tie, the ones that look like old telephone cords.

The last log entry was late July...before my husband started trimming branches and cut the thing down. :( I downloaded the Geocaching.com app to see where it was supposed to be, but it's not listed anymore. We hung it back up out there anyway, but I'm wondering if we should tuck it next to one of the other nearby caches. We didn't mean to ruin anyone's fun!