Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Is it loving Groundhog Week in TRP

(what I mean to say The Mash is someone else linked that article and we had a bit of discussion about it in the Qatar thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Chuggo posted:

yeah i really wanna see leeds back up, one of my best friends is a leeds fan and it's just not the same without those matches every year

If they go up this season they'll be utterly hosed FM style, general opinion amongst my Leeds fan friends is they'd obviously love to be promoted but realise they'd probably drop right back down again.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

So hating on catholics is still a thing in England? I also didn't know "this is are country" could mix with atheist :dealwithit:.

I have no idea tbh, that one completely threw me. Could be a troll. Having said that being openly and strongly religious, no matter what faith you are, is generally viewed with suspicion over here. Tony Blair waited until he wasn't Prime Minister anymore before he started ramping up the Catholicsm.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 18, 2010

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

i wish people would sometimes defy expectations based on their looks

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

is said dude american?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Bovine Delight posted:

Jesus loving christ

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

How good would a Lucas-Yaya Toure partnership be?

Best signing City have made in a while.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

"Nah, you're alright. gently caress United, gently caress City, gently caress Manchester. Horrible, filthy shithole full of loving twats.

Meteorites never land in the right place."

For some reason I'm reading RAWK and everything by this oval office BIGDavalad is horrible

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

Sanchez deal looks done then (again) cant say I'm too disapointed being one of the best players in Serie A is like being one of the nicest people in Al Qaeda, Much rather us stick a big bid in for Samir Nasri great young player, prem proven and would weaken one of our rival no end.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

She is why I love northern girls

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

There was a time when Asians had to endure alot more racism than they do now. Should we just tell them when they experience racism to stop whinging 'cos they have it easy compared to how they used to have it? Pointing to the past is no way to justify the present.

from an argument about smoking on the walkways around the stadium

quote:

I rarely use the toilets at COMS to be honest. I did tonight as I figured the family stand bogs would be less hostile. A lot of the time in the bogs at COMS I end up with bald blokes staring at me and I'm scared they'll hit me or rape me. Seriously.

quote:

I have a thing about toilets to be honest. Like the kid in American Pie lol

Seriously, I do find them intimidating at COMS though, always skin heads staring and I'm never sure if it's because they're gay or dead hard.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

No its the fact hes terrified of being raped by gay bald men when he goes for a wee at half time? Also the first because its an utterly ridiculous analogy

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

regarding shankly. when you look at his quotes, you realise how it's his philosophy that has shaped what liverpool are. i think it's one of the reasons why all away fans hate us. jealousy. i genuinely feel part of something good supporting ...lfc. on the other hand, shankly's quotes were from the 60's and 70's. football was different, society was different. under david moores (91-2007) lfc more or less adhered to that philosophy. one of the greatest clubs ever went into decline. why? because in 92 came the PL and Sky. utd moved in and took over. we stood and watched. football is a business now. a family run good will gesture to the people of liverpool won't win anything today. football is a part of capitalism and you either sink or swim unfortunately. henry's ensuring we swim for once.

quote:

regarding other clubs - never mind lfc and utd playing each other every week without the others. how about lfc and utd dropping out and seeing how much the PL's revenue is then. i disagree, we don't need the others. if accrington stanley get to the prem people will want to watch us and utd play them, exactly like norwich. they're irrelevant. the villa's evertons and spurs could be in a middle bracket. we're the commodity and we have higher running costs than norwich. we need to generate more cash than norwich to survive. we're the ones who entertain the audience. why should walk on parts get the same. what is the best thing about spain. sun and barcelona. they reap the rewards for being an ambassador of spain. like i keep saying, football is a business and countries don't hold back their best commodities in any other sector. why do it in football. lfc and utd should get their fair share (based on it's us and them who generate the cash in the first place) and if that makes us become better than the rest, including gangster owned clubs or billionaire oil sheikhs toy clubs, then tough poo poo.

I'm not sure this is as ridiculous as some of the things in the thread, I was just gobsmacked at how short sighted and selfish his opinion is.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I assumed it was written by an American in which case it'd be forgivable but nope

quote:

In his native England, he was chief sports writer for The Times of London for a decade and a writer for The Sunday Times and Sunday Times Magazine for more than 25 years. In television, Mr. Hughes reported and produced live sports, documentaries and light entertainment.

How could he get it so wrong? Or is he just writing for his audience.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

but can you say for sure there was racist intent. i may be wrong but my perception of someone using the n words with intent is insinuating ' your of lesser importance'. i've watched documentaries from america where the police say 'the victim was a negro boy from the hood'. when i hear that it does shock me a little. i'm uneasy with it. but on reflection, i don't think it has racist intent. just a poor choice of words. like i say all things considered, especially his culture, i'm not convinced of his guilt and maybe suarez is the victim not evra.

i should probably stop arguing with this guy on facebook

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

who's racist. the fa and evra said suarez isn't a racist. so who the gently caress are you to say he is. he's from a black family. people like you make me sick. stupid fuckin idiots who know nothing and more importantly don't care about anything. yet when something happens they're on their high horse. what have you done to fight racism lads? that includes you hurst. it's just a joke to you. just about revenge on someone you don't like. you've got no morals.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

who reads the gutter press these days,no one with half a brain and who believes them . The KKK wouldnt have Suarez in their organisation cos hes not a white anglo saxon protestant,so how thick are the idiots portraying him as one.Pity the press didnt have the balls to tell us where the peados live so we can protect our kids ,but they would get that wrong too.

:stare:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The mind boggles

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Lol not one of our team would make theirs oh please give it a rest you might have spent a billion on acquiring and paying these guys wages but as if reina agger skertl johnson and Jose don't walk into your back 5 hart was good against us but he'll have a seaman moment at the euros for sure. Then I'd say gerrard and Suarez easily in their first x1 that's 6 or 7. Lucas over yaya as well that's eight. I'd want silva Johnson and aguerro from them.

Where is this person I want to shake and slap them round the face them a lot

Especially as that game last night brought us back to having the best defensive record in the league

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

Proof that he lowered his hand. lying little snake.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Looking up the blog that he posted that on pretty much everyone is calling him a massive twat so yeah

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I have to say I was quite shocked by just how poor Unitehd were. If you look deep down into Yaya's pocket you will find a little ginger fella from Oldham. Seriously was Scholes even on the pitch? Giggs, for once, looked his age. Rooney's only agenda for the game seemed to be getting Kompany sent off, and as for Welbecks 720 roll over when infringed by De Jong....woeful.

...is all correct?

I like the unexpected twist this takes.

quote:

Mancini has so far outsmarted, destroyed and obliterated Ferguson at his own games, the mind games. He cranked the pressure up by saying Man Utd were favourites and you can see it in Ferguson and his players eyes that they are thinking "are we? I dont want to be, I dont know if we are" and this doubt has undermined them.

I would liken it to Streetfighter 2, Ferguson would win the 1st round (with Blanka) with a Perfect and would get concerned that he would actually win the next 1, but Mancini (Zangief) has upped the anti and battered him into submission, culminating in Ferguson rolling about 'seeing stars' and being finished by a spinning piledriver.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

Dion dublin: Suarez goal was an easier skill than crouch's.

In other words....

Dion dublin: "i'm black, suarez hates black people, therefore i'll go crouch"

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Bionically? No idea why he'd censor it though.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

We're just another club now.

End of story.

No one try to tell us we're a unique club with special fans.

We're not.

We have a Sky generation following us, possibly since Istanbul.

We have fans who booed when we go top.

We have fans with blueshite mentality who said Aguero's goal is better than Istanbul.

We sacked a legend.

Today.

Yeah 8th was crap but he prioritised the cups and almost won two in an attempt to instil a winners mentality into the players.

Deserved another season.

We're looking for our FOURTH MANAGER in TWO YEARS.

Meh.

The Liverpool Way? Went years ago.

Rafa back is the only thing I'll even tolerate now

RAWK is like shooting fish in a barrel to be fair I'd really hate to be a not-insane Liverpool fan

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It sounds like it was written by a nutter?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Grainbarn posted:

Haha I couldn't wait for all the City fans to bitch about those perfect offside calls. Not disappointed.

That wasn't written by a City fan.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Former Tottenham striker Garth Crooks on the burgeoning partnership between Liverpool's Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge: "Sturridge joining Suarez at Liverpool is the most exciting partnership since Van Persie arrived at Manchester United to work with Wayne Rooney. These are two viciously hungry strikers who live for goals. They are both capable of scoring 20 goals a season."

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Ninpo posted:

Haha comparing adultery to literally assaulting another player with his teeth, amazing.

I'd rather be bit than have my brother gently caress my wife behind my back for 10 years

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

gently caress

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

This makes me irl angry with how awful it is

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

sticksy posted:

Michael Bradley is the American Jason Statham.

A bald man who kicks rear end, and in doing so makes all those around him feel both safe and full of hope. In the past, his physical commitment and mental tenacity have combined to make the midfielder a virtual security blanket simmering away at the heart of the U.S. national team.

So exactly how many Premier League teams' starting XI's would instantly be improved by the arrival of Bradley?

The magic number for me is 15 -- all of the teams apart from the five below:

1. Liverpool: Based on the belief that I would not have the temerity to mess with the midfield alchemy that has propelled the team on their intoxicating charge to the top of the table.

2. Chelsea: Jose Mourinho publicly craves a "real striker," which Bradley is not. The imperious return of Nemanja Matic suggests Bradley would be in danger of gaining a John Obi Mikel-esque number of minutes.

3. Manchester City: Hard to believe that in competing with coach Manuel Pellegrini's first choice of Yaya Toure, David Silva, Fernandinho and Samir Nasri, Bradley would not experience a Roma situation redux.

4. Everton: Though the Goodison Park faithful would no doubt welcome another team-first American with open arms, undersung heroes Gareth Barry and James McCarthy behind Ross Barkley would prevent Bradley from walking into the starting lineup.

5. Tottenham Hotspur: A gaggle of midfielders including Aaron Lennon, Paulinho, Etienne Capoue, Mousa Dembele, Andros Townsend, Nacer Chadli, Christian Eriksen and Gylfi Sigurdsson present too many options and too many possibilities for a coach like Tim Sherwood, whose selection process can veer toward the avant garde. A real possibility exists that Bradley could be "Clint Dempsey'd" at White Hart Lane.

Of the remaining 15, the biggest eyebrow-raiser would be Arsenal. Yet Arsene Wenger's arm-long injury list, which has claimed the erratic talent of Mesut Ozil, Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott, the suspect fitness of Aaron Ramsey and the degrading returns of Mikel Arteta must all be factored into the equation. Though Arsenal fans may resent the suggestion that a Serie A-defecting MLS player could immediately slot into their first team, with the North Londoners' grip on fourth place so tenuous the Toronto FC midfielder would be an instant upgrade.

Americans have a really loving weird sense of national identity imo

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Americans have a really loving weird sense of national identity imo

Tom pm'ed me to tell me the article was written by a British Jew not as a pejorative he seemed keen for me to make this known

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mods rename me world's best scorer tia

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Great rape, jokes

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I wish the MLS almost tried to emulate English football culture better. Gimme more "Portland FC" and "New England United" (as cringey as they are) and proper hooliganism with the stabbings and eventual crackdown.

Not possible without the away fan culture

I forgot to mention that me and my friend heard that 'steal your women' line at the Timbers game and thought it was ridiculous, and even then it was almost being sung apologetically

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

They should get their Timbers Army cheerleaders to shout "trigger warning" before every European style rooting chant

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Please just explain it. I'm not reading that poo poo.

It’s a meme of a poo poo webcomic called ‘loss’ so edits of it became known as loss edits, in some cases abstracting the original comic down to the simplest form possible which is represented by those lines which also kind of look like the trigrams on the South Korean flag I guess so anyone familiar enough with the meme reads that as ‘hey Germany sorry for your loss’

I think it’s in the right thread

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

No-one cares m9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Meme in Turkish means titty so these posts are funny to me