Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Jfc

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Fair enough but imagine you’re just some normal dude not from Argentina or France and you get to see Messi and Mbappe at the World Cup!!! Hell yes!!! Football owns.

You can do that without wearing a split loving kit op!!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah I was gonna say that account absolutely reads like some weird meta poo poo

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

There's someone Manchester City pays way too much money to make these terrible edits and I wish it were me

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks for wasting 1:49 of my life waiting for something interesting to happen

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I think if I were a lifelong Wrexham fan all of these Americans turning up to pile on the bandwagon because they watched funny man in thing once and now funny man buy football club would make me piss blood

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I’m sure they’re devastated by the millions of tourist dollars and trophies flooding the town

Oh yeah I mean the owners have overall been great for the club and community, I just wonder about the randoms turning up because they watched a TV show. I'm sure they'll take it on balance

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

But let’s turn to Haaland himself. What are we to make of this strange goal orc, the genetic product of an encounter between 90s midfielder Alf Inge Haaland and a copy of Tekken 3 on Playstation? There is, perhaps, an in-built tedium to the existence of the career goalscorer, this largely unglamorous pursuit of brute volume: easy goals, ugly goals, pointless goals, the goals nobody recalls. How many of Alan Shearer’s 260 Premier League goals were genuinely memorable? What are the moments that stir the soul? Put more simply: is there any more to this elvish Norse phenomenon than cold numbers?

I wonder if they make you masturbate with a printed out sheet of your own copy when you're interviewed at the Guardian or if it's something they teach

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

vyelkin posted:

ah, you see, City aren't owned by the UAE as a state, they're only owned by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi and president of the UAE's younger brother, who also happens to be the vice president and deputy prime minister of the UAE, so it's fine

"The sheikh" is a total misnomer, sheikh just means an important family member or leader, it doesn't describe a singular political position.

Xabi posted:

Which idiot wrote that?

It's a purely factual description of some of the people involved in City's ownership and where they fit in to the political ruling class of Abu Dhabi and the UAE, what's idiotic about it? Like it seems obvious to me that the situation is a lot more complex than the UAE directly owning us, look at how many other football teams Emirates airlines are involved in sponsoring for example.

Like I'm not making a value judgment on the morality of the owners or foreign investment/ownership of football teams in general but trying to understand the nuance involved doesn't strike me as idiotic at all and tbh the lot of you seem to be being wilfully ignorant and a little racist.

Like of course there's a laundry list of issues with each of the states mentioned but that surely warrants a more detailed understanding of the specifics of how and why each of them suck rather than 'all Arab owners are exactly the same and terrible'.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

:hurr:

Trying to understand the specifics and appreciating the motivations and intentions of different ownership groups doesn't mean I'm defending them ffs.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

vyelkin posted:

it would be just as stupid for a fan of that club to write an article saying "ah, well technically my club isn't owned by the Russian state so it's all fine"

I read the article and he doesn't seem to be saying it's all fine at all though? There's definitely some City bias in there with how he discusses the way our owners have done their business but pointing out that different ownership groups are different doesn't seem controversial to me.

I've had a front line seat to this poo poo for the last 15 years and I've never felt it was purely a front for the UAE - Abu Dhabi, certainly, but not the whole country.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The world's gone, pack it up guys it was a good run

Definitely better than any song invented and sung by irl Arsenal fans on twitter, low bar though that may be

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

america is cringe

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Le Tissier is low hanging fruit these days but

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

"Man City" redirects here. For the television show episode, see Man City (Ted Lasso).

At the top of our wikipedia page

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Why is Yemen on the terrorist dictatorship side when it is currently being genocided by, arguably, a terrorist dictatorship?

Because they're brown and I assume their leader made a statement that was mildly critical of *gestures wildly at everything*

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I want to make teams with a player in that position from each country mentioned but I'm not sure who hails from the countries of Isis, Hamas or Hezbollah

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Russia in attack certainly looks suspect, Hamas is gonna be doing all the work there

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

trem_two posted:

it would literally be too triggering for you to see based on one of your prior meltdowns here

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I wonder how insufferable he is irl