Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

phead903 posted:

Weel, once again Newcastle give up an equalizer in added time - cost us 4 points in the last 2 matches! I don't expect Newcastle to challenge for the EPL hardware, but it would be nice to qualify for Europe at the end of the season.

This was from OU Sooners message board I read. I don't know if it is a terrible post, but I got a good laugh out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
From a Oklahoma Sooners forum I read.

soonerbms posted:

It's pretty clear what happened in that match. After Satan complained about the officiating following the Chelsea match, the league office gave specific instructions to the referee of this match to do whatever he could to ensure Arsenal dropped points. It was a clear penalty when Bramble pushed Arshavin in the back before Arshavin sprayed his shot wide. Minutes later, Arshavin was whistled offside when he was clearly on. He would have been one on one with the keeper. Beyond the awful officiating, Arsenal were just very unlucky and the Sunderland keeper made some nice saves.

Congrats, United supporters! Following your manager's disgraceful rant after the Chelsea match, you'll never have another call go against you this season and the refs will do everything they can to stifle your title rivals. The title's in the bag for you!

I love the last paragraph so much.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
If we were to combine the top ten sides from MLS in the current standing into the SPL minus St. Mirren and Hamilton to form an imaginary one table league I would see it playing out something like this.

1. Rangers
2. Celtic
3. Hearts
4. LA Galaxy
5. Dundee United
6. FC Dallas
7. NY Red Bulls
8. Kilmarnock
9. Seattle Sounder
10. Philadelphia Union
11. Motherwell
12. Columbus Crew
13. Iverness
14. Aberdeen
15. Real Salt Lake
16. Colorado
17. St. Johnstone
18. Hibernian
19. Houston
20. San Jose

Okay after doing that I'll concede I probably have overvalued Hibs and St. Johnstone and maybe Aberdeen, Iverness, and Motherwell in comparison to the top end of MLS but the vast majority of MLS sides would be strongly pressed to ever come away with positive decisions against the top five clubs in the SPL

Edit: I am not pushing MLS over SPL, I just don't know what to make of this post.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I should add that the league table I posted came out of an awesome post about why Maurice Edu should start over Michael Bradley for the USMNT.

To sum it up, Maurice Edu should start because he has played in the Champions League and has a higher goal.com match rating average than Michael Bradley.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

trem_two posted:

Not really surprising, but there was also this all over the place:

Ann Coulter - America's Favorite National Pastime: Hating Soccer

This was a gem.

quote:

No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Ties are fine but there would be far fewer of them if they changed something else.. How about if teams had NO Goalie? You'd have scores like 17 to 14 and I think much more exciting games. Down by 1 goal now with 5 minutes left in the game, you've all but lost. But with NO goalie, there'd be plenty of excitement left.

and in response:

quote:

An 'extension' of the empty net in hockey when a team is down and they pull their goalie put an extra man on the ice. Your idea is probably the most rational idea I've about how to make this game into a sport someone in America might actually care about.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Wrong thread. Not a Brazil fan but tyrell would make a sweet Brazil kit.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I really want to punch this guy.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
What the gently caress is that?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Only five teams have ever won the EPL Championship. Only three different teams have won La Liga in the last 10 years. And only three different clubs have won Serie A in the last 14 years. You call that competitive?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I was a bit tuned out in the lead up to the World Cup. Has this white English guy doing black face been posted yet?

http://youtu.be/2i6NXIVzpN0

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Is he wearing fake eyelids to make him more squinty?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Thirteenth Step posted:

Did we sign Moyes as manager because the job would be too big for anyone post Sir Alex and needed someone who was willing to take the hit? Moyes was rewarded handsomely for his 9 months work and can still get a job abroad.

Van Gaal will come in and look like the saviour of Manchester United, with no major expectation on his shoulders apart from getting us back fighting again whereas Moyes, and anyone else who would have taken over after Fergie, was expected to bring trophies from the off.

Are Man Utd fans claiming the Dutch semi final appearance? Really?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
To follow up on the football analogy, here is a modest proposal that I think would be more interesting. Should probably go in the newbie thread but in the interest of continuing the discussion here, I'll leave it. Especially since nothing is going on in the game.

So, each team gets a turn on offense. They start with the ball at midfield, if ball goes back across it, it's reset at midfield again with the offense having control. Defense plays a man down. Offense has 5 minutes to score as much as they can. Repeat with teams switching offense / defense roles. If tied after this first round, repeat but this time the defense plays 2 men down (or 3 if it goes into a third, etc).

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ewar Woowar posted:

What the gently caress is this?! Where was it posted?

I should've done it like this. In the match day thread. An american figures that there is a better way to end a match than penalties and offers his own, humble opinion.

regulargonzalez posted:

To follow up on the football analogy, here is a modest proposal that I think would be more interesting. Should probably go in the newbie thread but in the interest of continuing the discussion here, I'll leave it. Especially since nothing is going on in the game.

So, each team gets a turn on offense. They start with the ball at midfield, if ball goes back across it, it's reset at midfield again with the offense having control. Defense plays a man down. Offense has 5 minutes to score as much as they can. Repeat with teams switching offense / defense roles. If tied after this first round, repeat but this time the defense plays 2 men down (or 3 if it goes into a third, etc).

Edit: He might've been baited into this by foot fans bemoaning the badness of penalties, and thought a solution like this would be welcomed as an amendment to the Laws of The Game (tm)

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 10, 2014

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

FullLeatherJacket posted:

it's me, i paid david luiz £10 to be useless in the world cup semi final

He promptly used it to buy panini stickers and got all duplicates.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Seltzer posted:

It's really easy to watch the MLS. I rarely do but you're being an idiot about it. Also the gap between the production values is negligible.

incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Cox in OKC listed a Revolution vs someone match the other day on one of the Public Access channels, but they were showing old Billy Mays type ads instead. I was a bit upset, until I realized that Billy Mays trust probably paid more for the timeslot rights than MLS owners were willing to pay to show their team in OKC.

That's my post about the last time I tried to watch MLS in Oklahoma City.