Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Prime Ministers are required to be Church of England, aren't they? Or am I thinking of monarchs?
Monarchs are because they're head of the Church of England, Prime Ministers aren't although they have a hand in appointing bishops. But approximately three people actually care about it, particularly for non-Catholics, and there's been various non-Anglican Prime Ministers (James Callaghan (1976-9) was a Baptist (and apparently atheist) as the most recent example if you don't count the Church of Scotland).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

T. Finn posted:

It's a wind-up but it's hooked quite a few
:allears:

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

On Steve Morison:

quote:

if he was english we could get £10m but coz he decides to play welsh he is worth 2-3£ selfish oval office!!

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

lomzus posted:

I feel sorry for FIFA, the press have a real hatred for them and keep making scurrilous accusations. Last wek the BBC did a dreadful documentary accusing all and sundry of bribery and corruption, this week both candidates for presidency and the whiter than white Mr Warner has have been accused of offering cash incentives, it's fucling ridiculous.

These ambassadors at the top of footballs governing body work tirelessly, sometimes for hours at a time to make football more better. Bringing countries like Qatar into the fold With it's massive population of nearly a million and a half people is a stroke of genius. Qatar have too much money and quite like a bit of a kick about after drilling for oil, by taking some of their money, FIFA officials can now fly to more places and spread the word to other nations who should host the world cup, like Andorra or Greenland.

And don't even raise the nonsense about goal line gadgetry, when sep blather was young, football was a gentlemans game where honesty and integrity were the technology that mattered. Also the stuff available today is not supplied by any companies owned or represented by a FIFA member so it can't be trusted. They have also allegedly refused point blank to help with the associated costs of getting the FIFA boys together to make a decision, and Lear jets don't run on chip fat you know.

I think we should take a long hard look at what these guys bring to football and show them a little more respect, they know what they're doing and they know what's best, and the best costs money

Next week I will be doing an article on how the Italian prime minister is trying reenergise politics by touching the younger generation
whats wrong with this

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

stan collymore protected his twitter :psyduck:

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

The whole "hoof ball", "score from throw ins" stereotype is lazy and bullshit.

Stoke have genuinely world class players now. Robert Huth is a a 2-time Premier League Champion, and he's only 27, Salif Diao is a Ligue 1 winner, League Cup winner, and has played at the World Cup Finals, Jermain Pennant helped take Liverpool to the Champions League final in 2007, Ryan Shawcross is one of England's brightest prospects in defence, a never-say-die powerful defender, Matthew Upson, another England hero, who scored at the last World Cup and won the Premier League with Arsenal in 2002, Peter Crouch is one of the world's most prolific strikers at international level, he is a Championship and FA Cup winner, his goal ratio for England is simply stunning, Jonathan Woodgate is a national treasure, League Cup winner, and former Real Madrid heavyweight. When you mix all this success and prestige with the GOAT arms of Rory Delap, you have one of the finest, and most unique football sides since the Dutch masters of the 1970s.

Stoke are taking Europe by storm, just like The Beatles did in America. This is the era of Pulis, of the Potteries, of Stoke.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Instead of invading countries, using drones and cruise missiles--­I say we just sponsor soccer matches. They seem to have no problem killing one another for any ol' trivial reason. Would be really economical­. Have the World Cup every year instead of every four years.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Unfortunately this is indicative of the rotting corpse that the Premiership has become

Clint, our 12th best player, has decided that the MLS is the better option. USA soccer is rising fast which is fantastic for the game, I can see the likes of Utd and Chelsea joining the league within 5 years.

MLS is now more popular in Asia than the PL, a true indicator of a leagues quality

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Back in the nineties I met one of the men who emptied my dust bin just as I was leaving the house. He said "fantastic result last night mate," or something to that effect to which I replied in all innocence "what result?" He thought I was joking but I assured him I had no idea what he was talking about. He said "you don't like football then or follow the world cup," I replied no. His response then took me completely by surprise,"to be honest I don't either, I only go along with it so I'm not the odd one out at work and with my mates." Since that day I have wondered how many foot ball fans don't actually like football but daren't admit it. Personally I have never understood the appeal of football and have been accused of been unpatriotic. My reply to this is the next time our boys want rescuing from a beach in Dunkerque I'll be there in a small boat not watching a group of blokes kicking a bag of wind about.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/1LaneOnly this account in general really

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Pantsuit posted:

american football isn't even fast paced. it's one of the slowest and most boring sports ever invented. have a look in TFF and see what the 'required reading' is.
Not all games of American football are played with commercial breaks.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Dunban posted:

They really couldn't think of any better adjectives starting with an N, huh?
I bet Suarez could

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Fergie, Fergie you're lovely
That's what we all think of you
PLEASE COME BACK FEGIE WE MISS YOU AND SO DOES FOOTBALL.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bendita-camino-why-i-love-atletico-madrid/

quote:

On the game’s last play, Diego Forlan, who five years later would lead Atletico to second-tier European glory, equalized with a header off a set piece. A fan who sat in front of the media section and smelled of weed went nuts. The scene was perversely endearing, a final primer on everything I needed to know about what I was getting into. This grown man gesticulating wildly, imploring foreign journalists to take note of his tormented story, brought me closer. I stared at the name on the fan’s jersey and remembered John Motson’s voice in the video game for the 1998 World Cup.

“Ki-ko. Ki-ko. Ki-ko.”

I had a frame of reference for my teenage self. I had just witnessed a win dissolve into the night, like a final-page plot twist as surprising as it was expected. Atletico fans were into their team in a special way, literally and commercially dubbed bendita aficion (“blessed fans”). I had already experienced derby defeat live.

If my choice of club to support needed any validation, I found it in my first favorite YouTube video,

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

He supports West Ham so I don't think that would have done any good
Well, he does now.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

What I like about Prof. Szymanski is his son has no interest in football at all, and is instead starting quarterback for Oxford University. Really makes you think, imo.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Babby Thatcher posted:

neither does Prof. Szymanski tbf

lol an actual quote from that book
Noone knew about Ronaldinho, except the Brazilians, the French, and everyone with a copy of CM 01/02

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

vaginal culture posted:

Pretty true though tbh
Hockey players don't know they've been hurt (it's because of the concussions (and because they're Canadian and stupid)))

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Azerban posted:

Completely serious, I think.
"But nobody wants to play the US Men's National Team. This was just as bad a group for Germany and Ghana and Portugal as for the US."

"Jozy has kept his powder dry for America for the World Cup."

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

mynameisjohn posted:

Over-hyping the US team is like their entire schtick. It's a joke.
Jokes are supposed to be funny.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

bubbles from trailer park boys has let himself go

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

"It takes a certain level of courage to go with an American because if it doesn't work out, it's not, 'The player didn't work out.' It's, 'the American didn't work out,'" Lalas said. "Not only did you mess up, but you messed up with an American. In the realm of hedging your bets, that was a much riskier proposition given the perception and given where Americans have traditionally been."

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Olewithmilk posted:

Implant one in the centre of their foreheads imho, it can be powered by the kinetic shirt or whatever.
Gervinho suddenly most valuable player in world football

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

bleacher report ftw

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

In some strange alternate universe (in the mind of an NFL.com editor), the NFL has a World Cup team. What you will see below is a starting 11 of the game's greatest players placed in soccer positions where they could conceivably succeed. Just like with the U.S. Men's National Team and its surprising cut of Landon Donovan, there were some difficult decisions to make with this team, too.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

area man in denial over death of tiki-taka

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Byolante posted:

When I think of sporting success stories I think of the English Cricket team!
I'll have you know my Etonian-captained college football team went unbeaten in the league this year so there

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/a-chart-for-predicting-penalty-shootout-odds-in-real-time/

it never ends

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

thanks nate silver

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

oh my god

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

what

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

JorahTheExplorer posted:

Millwall "Dirty Northern b*stards"[11]
they are

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

The Hillsborough Literally Never Happened

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Lightbulb Grease posted:

We need to shut these south London pussio up. Alan Pardew is a battyman. gently caress u Palace. African power.
Tbf he is def a battyman

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

JFairfax posted:

A Millwall fan has explained his decision to name his baby son Bermondsey Millwall Den Bloomfield without telling his wife first.

Mike Bloomfield, a life-long supporter who now lives in Croydon, told Southwark News he made the decision without the agreement of his wife, Kelly, saying it would be “a good way to get the next generation involved”.

He told the newspaper: “If David Beckham can name his son Brooklyn, then I can name mine Bermondsey. I just love Millwall … One of the women at the registry office was a Millwall fan and she loved it when she saw what we are going to name him. I threatened to do it but I don’t think my wife believed me! I’m not sure how she’s going to react.”

His wife later told the paper the name was “growing on me … He was a bit frightened to come home. I’m coming around to it though and I quite like it. I think he looks a bit like a Bermondsey and it’s definitely unique. I don’t think anyone else has got a name like that.

“The funny thing is that we actually live in Croydon and are surrounded by Crystal Palace fans. Our friends who are Palace fans say that they’re just going to call him Dave instead.”
wrong thread

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

ronniegardocki posted:

Reply with your favorite football position/role. Obviously mine is 'mediocentro', but central winger is also quality.
offensive line

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Guys I hear Jose will pitch up at Millwall because a) he can still live in his house and b) like mourinho, "no ones likes" millwall, but they "don't care"
he will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

chuggo is BACK posted:

nice that raightnings brother has a hobby
stfu