Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
~my e55~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Solstice posted:

I lovelovelove my SLK55 but I can't wait to trade up for a C63 in a year or so. Having so little room in the car gets frustrating very quickly.

I guess I'd be less annoyed if my "big car" was even remotely interesting but my tow/haul vehicle is a Volvo XC90 5-cyl and driving it is loving torture. If you can do fun big-car + fun little-car, go whatever + SLK and you won't regret it. If you can't, though, you should save up for a fun mid-size like the C63.

Isn't the C63 a compact? E63 would be the midsize.

I'd drive a W221 S550 if it was warrantied and I needed a relatively boring full-size (and couldn't get an S600, S63, or S65 for whatever reason). It's so much better than the BMW 750/Lexus LS460/Audi A8.

p.s. get a god drat AMG, Mr. Peabody.

Nait Sirhc fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 14, 2010

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

b0nes posted:

Wasn't there a guy here with a 4 door Merc' that was supercharged? I wonder what happened to him and the car?

There were a couple of us. The E55 AMG had a 5.5L supercharged v8 in a big 4-door sedan that weighed just shy of 2 tons. 516ft/lb of torque at 2600RPM, though.

I sold mine a few weeks ago. It's the most amazing car I've ever owned. I like not having a car payment anymore, though.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

wallaka posted:

I joined the club!

Hah. How's the E55? Blown away every possible expectation you ever had?

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

sanchez posted:

How reliable are the E55's, are they something that can be maintained without CPO and with some DIY?

I wouldn't own one without a warranty. That said, I owned mine for eight months out of warranty and it never had any issues.

Pretty much the most incredible car you can find for <$30k, bar none.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Casey Chaos posted:

I have decided to join the club and also do my part to destroy the environment

I've heard a lot of talk of economy improving as engines 'bed in', probably sales nonsense - is there any truth to this?

Your motor was broken in before you drove it off the lot.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Drive a 2012/2013 E550. $57k to start and a twin turbo V8. Judging by the buttometer, it's as fast if not faster than my E55 AMG with the supercharged V8.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Depreciation on the 65's is nuts. I've seen a few S65's and CL65's for almost 30k. Even an SL65 can be had for around 50k.

What? God drat. When I was looking a year or two ago, I was seeing S & CL600s for $30-35k, but the 65s were still up in the 50k+ range.

If the S65 & CL65s are really down to the 30s, I may have to start looking for one again.

Also, I'm eagerly anticipating the depreciation of the E550 w/ the 4.6L biturbo V8. I test drove one and it felt almost exactly as fast as my E55 AMG (funny thing since they both have the same amount of torque... 517 ft/lb)

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Cyrezar posted:

I have come to the conclusion that there is simply not a way to get more car and performance for the money than the E55.

This is an absolute fact. The step down from there would be the E39 M5 ($10-15k range, with the E55 in the 20-25k range)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Voltage posted:

Ok - here's the real deal: can you afford a new CL500? Thats $116,000 new. No? What about any new Mercedes - even the new $29,000 CLA250? The general rule with complex german machines is if you can't afford a new one, you sure as poo poo can't afford a used one. If you can't afford the cheapest model they make, then a used CL will bankrupt you, since the cost of ownership is still that of a $100k+ car, and then some.

I had a great idea when I was 19 to buy a $14,000 2001 BMW 330Ci - what a great deal I thought! A previously $46-50k car for less than a new corolla! Well it turns out that over the 4 years or so I owned it, I could have easily financed a brand spankin' new 328i coupe for LESS than I pumped in that drat thing for repairs and whatnot. There is a very, very good reason used german luxury cars depreciate quicker than just about anything else.

But this is AI after all, so buy that thing, straight pipe it and do a manual conversion and rallycross it!

I would typically agree with this advice but I have been driving a $4,000 2002 BMW 745i for the last 14,000 miles and haven't had any problems.

Buy it. Don't put yourself into huge debt over it, but buy it anyway! That e46 that he's talking about is a simple car to fix and work on yourself.