Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I have a 4k 40" tv as secondary and a 1440 27" as primary on windows 10. Got the 4k set to 200% and the other at 100%. Works pretty great for most things but some apps don't support it well.

Chrome is a bit weird, it scales all elements up rather than rendering then doubling pixels, but sometimes it gets it a bit wrong and there'll be a thin black border around the window. Also it always renders tooltips at 100% scaling, which makes them unreadable if I'm more than a few feet away from the screen.

Most things work fine, it's mainly apps that try to handle scaling themselves that get it wrong. The OS-provided scaling for older apps just works in everything I've tried so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

I suppose I could also re-enable my mobo's onboard Realtek garbage and use the toslink on that, but I don't wanna.

You think somehow the sound chip on your motherboard will output worse 1s and 0s than your graphics card?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

You do want to avoid multi-PPI, where some windows are at a higher resolution-per-inch than others. In my experience this does not work well at all. Run all your screens at the same resolution/size if at all possible.

I dunno why people say this. Despite minor issues in a few poorly coded apps I've been running two monitors at different ppi, resolution and scaling for years, it works just fine.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
In my experience, apps that are not aware get scaled automatically, at least on windows 10. The issues are with apps that are aware but handle it badly.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Is there anything to stop nvidia implementing gsync on top of HDMI 2.1? After all, gsync is slightly better than freesync, it strikes me there might be similar differences with the generic adaptive sync.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That is all very interesting info, but my point was: a few goons seem to be expecting nvidia to drop gsync when people move to HDMI 2.1, but it seems more likely to me they'll just keep going, perhaps with a gsync 2 which is still a compelling upgrade over the generic adaptive sync in the HDMI 2.1 standard, or perhaps "accidentally" not supporting the generic sync very well.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Granted I don't pay much attention to freesync monitors, but they mostly seem to have really lovely adaptive sync ranges - definitely a big point in gsync's favour for me personally.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Your best bet is to wait a year or two. There's supposed to be some gaming 4k IPS monitors coming out in the next few months, but they're likely to cost about twice your budget. I also want one.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I use a 40" Samsung 4k tv for my secondary monitor, the UE6400 series. Supports 60hz, full colour over HDMI 2. Fantastic definition, perfectly usable as a monitor. Cost me around £350, though I might have got it on sale. Probably a bit large for you though.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I have free floating windows for most things because I have high resolution widescreen monitors and most things that I interact with act like portrait pieces of paper, and very long lines of text without breaks are a pain to read. Also that dumb website thing unimaginitive creative types love so much where they're fixed width and any extra window width is just dead space.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

DrDork posted:

This is a great use for tiled windows, which even bog standard Windows can do for you.

No thanks, I'm well aware of that functionality, and I've used actual good tiled window managers on Linux in the past, and they're great for specific tasks, but for the general case of dicking around on my PC doing 5-10 different things at once, free floating is much more versatile.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

DrDork posted:

I'll take 27+34+27 so I don't have to ever worry about desktop space, any day.

For some reason my employer doesn't see eye to eye with me on that one, though...

I'd be happy with just an IPS for one of my work monitors so I can actually tell if colours match. Or you know, a PC that isn't 5 years old, but that's a conversation for another thread.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Most of the issues I encounter from using multiple displays. My side monitors are 1920x1200, and my main monitor is 2560x1440. If you scale just one of the displays just weird stuff happens.

This blog post from Microsoft covers some of them. I'm sure there's others I just can't remember all the things I've experienced.

None of them are big showstoppers, its just kind of like death by a million cuts.

Bear in mind this is largely application specific - I regularly use one app that behaves badly with scaling, which is mumble. And I don't run that program to look at its UI. Even then it's just some out of scale menu items, everything else is just fine:

I'm not quite the same as Thermopyle though, I run my 27" 1440p monitor at 100%, my second is 4k run at 200%, so it's at least integer scaling. There's no visible blur. Mostly it's programs that try to handle DPI properly and gently caress it up. I've not had any problems in programs that aren't DPI aware.

Regarding size of on-screen elements, I found 27" 1440 to work out very similarly to the 24" 1920x1200 I upgraded from.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I really would just get her the iMac. It's not just about the hardware specs, how well the UX scales to 5K matters a lot (especially with a 27" display) and Windows is still far behind the consistency of OSX/The Mac (fixed hardware helps a lot) here. The 5k iMac is actually very competitively priced, you just won't save enough - if anything - to be worth it, especially losing the advantage of one source to deal with in the event of tech issues.

Edit: good lord that Dell 32" 4k is the same price as a 5K iMac

In my experience UI scaling on Macs is laggy as poo poo even with a top-end graphics card and CPU, unless that's limited to the nvidia web drivers. Maybe that doesn't bother some people but it is unusable for me.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

Why is integer scaling not common nowadays? Is it a hardware or software problem? Is it too expensive to implement? I thought people with 4K displays would kill to have lower resolutions displayed in a crisp way.

Works perfectly in windows 10 on my 4k screen. At least for apps that don't handle high DPI themselves.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

"In my experience" meaning...? What Mac? What OSX version? An iMac with an 8GB 580 will have absolutely no problem, and High Sierra migrates the OSX Window server to Metal instead of OpenGL which further improves performance.

Really getting someone a DIY PC for professional graphic design work that their livelihood depends on when they can't diagnose and fix potential issues themselves is really not wise, Mac vs PC aside.

It was laggy on a Hackintosh with an i5-4670 with a 970 then upgraded to a 980Ti. Most recently tried on High Sierra. 3D apps were extremely performant as expected, but dragging around a window with UI scaling enabled had noticeable lag, like about a quarter of a second behind. With scaling set to 100% there was no lag at all. As I say, I this was using nvidia and web drivers so maybe OS X desktop rendering is just heavily optimised for AMD stuff? Wouldn't surprise me since I don't think they even sell nvidia equipped desktops anymore.

Agreed though, if you don't know what you're doing I wouldn't suggest building your own PC for work or any other purpose, but fixing Windows and PC compatible hardware is pretty straightforward. If your Mac breaks though, welp, better take it to the nearest Apple store. The guy was considering building a PC so hopefully he knows the trade-offs.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I thought as typing that previous post surely for graphic design you'd consider software compatibility over all else, and in that industry it's Mac or nothing. Adobe products have always run like utter poo poo on Windows.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Jekub posted:

So on a budget of £500-600 I have some other options which provide 1440p/gsync on an ips panel and are in budget :

Acer Predator XB271HU
AOC AGON AG241QX
ViewSonic XG2703-GS

Any thoughts on these options or other recommendations?

Can recommend the one in bold, I have its predecessor - make sure you get the IPS version, not sure if that's still a thing with the 271, but the 270 had a TN version which was a very similar model code priced £100-200 cheaper. The others are presumably the same panel - someone else here can advise there.

I made the same sort of upgrade a while back, you will be very, very happy with the results.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I will probably buy a 4k monitor when a high-refresh g-sync variant appears, but that's going to require some time just for the connector standards to exist, let alone the graphics power

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pascal already supports DisplayPort 1.3 at least (which gets you to 4K@120 Hz) and NVIDIA said they were going to support DP 1.4 with it as well (dunno if they have followed through yet). DP1.4 is just DP1.3 with compression so it's not a big step in hardware terms.

Good to know, I was wondering about that since I remember nvidia supporting HDMI 2.0 before it was even finalised. Still, 120Hz feels like a step backward even if it probably wouldn't be noticable.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The bigger problem has actually been AU Optronics getting the panels ready, yields/quality suck pretty bad and we're going to go through the same cycle of "the first year is early-access hardware and you will have to return five panels to get one without hair/dirt/massive amounts of bleed" as we did with 1440p IPS. And again, you'll pay upwards of $2000 for the privilege.

I've had good luck with monitors, my early run XB270HU was flawless (until I stupidly squashed a bug inside it, fixed now thankfully). Granted I haven't tried looking for backlight bleed, but I often use it in a darkened room and I've not noticed anything. I'm in the UK so I get shafted on prices regardless - the 270 was over £800 :(

There's also the fact that some stuff still taxes my 1080Ti at 1440.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm pretty sure the nvidia control panel says the g-sync display has to be set as primary, which would imply only 1 per system.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
With borderless windowed the app is basically just a window like any other, but set to always on top and no window decorations. This has the disadvantage of having to interact properly with the OS's windowing system so performance can be a little worse (or much worse, in some instances) but that is also the advantage. Alt+tab does not require that the window is minimised, you can overlay other programs on top of your window, sometimes it interacts better with other applications running on other monitors, etc. Being able to move your mouse outside the window is generally a positive thing if the game has a cursor, and if not, mouse capture is trivial, generally taking a single API call. Think games like Civilisation or Diablo-likes where you might want to interact with a web page on your other monitor while still being able to see what's going on.

The fact that some programs are poorly coded and don't deal well with context switches such as alt+tab when running in fullscreen (exclusive) mode is essentially an unintended side-effect, and not really intrinsic. It's just poorly written code - unfortunately quite common in games and certain game engines!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Other than that, what I'm getting from you guys is that the modes change how the applications act when using Alt+Tab, which I can see as being an asset depending on what you're trying to do.

My post was kinda about how it wasn't just changing what happens when you alt+tab. Also, I can't imagine how it would be an asset to have a program minimise/maybe crash when you alt+tab. I guess you only have one monitor and that's why you're super focused on the alt+tab behaviour!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Atomizer posted:

I was going to ask, in response to the above posters, for them to name me some games that are problematic when switching from fullscreen

I can't think of any game that doesn't minimise when interacting with other programs when set to fullscreen exclusive mode, so for me: all of them. I don't have two monitors to only use one at a time!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
"Exclusive" is just what true "fullscreen" is generally called by the Windows APIs. It does generally provide slightly higher framerates but, as we've been discussing, has a number of drawbacks and is apparently being deprecated at the moment.

Generally games refer to that mode as "fullscreen", as opposed to "borderless windowed" or "fullscreen windowed" or similar.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Sininu posted:

It's odd that they are trying to get rid of the only mode that doesn't have diagonal screen tearing they introduced with W10 (or 8 for some people) for laptops with Nvidia Optimus.

I suppose the intent is that people optimise their poo poo (drivers and apps) better for non-exclusive mode and you don't have to consider the trade-off of [slightly better framerates/g-sync support/no tearing on optimus] or proper multitasking.

No doubt the end result will actually be the worst of both worlds.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Parker Lewis posted:

When I use a mini DisplayPort -> DisplayPort cable I'm able to run at 120Hz in macOS, but I'm not willing to switch the cables back and forth all the time and there don't seem to be any good DisplayPort switches/KVMs on the market.

There are kvms that support gsync and high refresh, but not many and they're pretty expensive. I had trouble sharing USB keyboard and mouse on my non-gsync kvm between mac and pc, but it was a cheap one, and I have a non-standard keyboard. It actually ended up killing the kvm.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

particle9 posted:

This is a weird issue I'm having not sure if anyone has the answer. I got the aw3418dw and am using it next to my old 24" ultrasharp (1600x1200). What I want to do is play games on the aw34 full screen with g-sync on and high refresh but also have netflix/movies etc playing in a browser or whatever on the other monitor. I used to be able to do this fine but if g-sync is enabled the video on the ultrasharp plays back all stuttery and choppy. Turning off g-sync is the only option I know of but for obvious reasons I would prefer to leave it on if possible. Anyone know of any other work arounds?

Are you using chrome to play video? If so, try using Firefox instead. Something about playing video in chrome fucks with gsync for me. There's probably some combination of flags that'd fix it but I can't work it out.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm looking into something similar (except using DisplayPort) and also don't understand why these KVMs are all USB 2.0, even the $500+ ones.

Because generally you'd only have your input devices plugged into it and who cares if your keyboard and mouse don't get that full USB3 bandwidth?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
This might not be your issue, but on several occasions since the Windows 10 Creators Update, the nVidia drivers have decided to enable HDR on one of my displays (that does not support it), which leaves everything looking washed out - perhaps check that in nVidia Control Panel -> Display -> Change Resolution. The 3rd option allows you to specify explicit colour settings.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

pmchem posted:

Those of you with high-dpi monitors, how do you deal with the tiny icons and generally hosed up UI on Windows applications?

I have my 4k monitor set to 200% and my 1440 set to 100% and besides literally one or two apps everything works great. In my experience, if a program doesn't support hi-dpi Windows scales it itself and everything is fine. Likewise if a program is well written and hi-dpi everything is great. The problem is programs that are hi-dpi aware and do a lovely job of handling it.

Lots of people in this thread make out that Windows' support for mixed scaling is really lovely but it works well for me and has for years. My impression is Windows does a great job but some apps are bad. Fortunately everything I use is fine except mumble, and that just looks ugly rather than being unusable.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Lambert posted:

I have two 27" 4k monitors set to 125% scaling. Most applications are fine, but a small handful are plagued by blurry fonts. NAPS2, a scanning utility I use, for example. In general, it's fine.

Quite a few parts of Windows don't scale well: Just open a network adapter's settings and look at how blurry the dialog is.

I mean, if you told Windows to use 125% scaling, you literally told it to make apps blurry if they don't support variable dpi. No doubt the new Windows 10 network adapter screen scales correctly.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
My second monitor is a 4k Samsung tv (6400 series iirc). There are a couple of potential issues using a tv as a monitor - sometimes there is a significant input delay since for video it doesn't really matter as long as the audio is delayed by the same amount; often they do post-processing to make video look better which can make text look poorly defined; colour reproduction generally isn't too important, etc.

If you're buying you can generally select a model that doesn't have these issues. My Samsung is excellent and was super-cheap, and supports full colour at 60Hz with minimal input delay in entertainment mode.

Google your model and you might be able to find some hints at getting the most out of it. With a random model it's gonna be the luck of the draw. If you're happy with it that's the most important thing. It seems unlikely you wouldn't be able to use entertainment mode over hdmi - usually that's designed for console use and they don't tend to have VGA or DVI connectors. It might be broken, or there might be some tucked away setting - my tv, for example, only supports 60 Hz on one hdmi port though it has several, and I can choose which in the settings.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
G-sync only really provides a benefit when you can't consistently hit max FPS. Otherwise you could just use regular v-sync and there would be little difference. A 1070 will absolutely be able to hit 1440P 144Hz in some titles though.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

UchihaHirou posted:

This looks like such a great deal, but the 980 TI can't support this right? I would have to upgrade to the 1070 or something?

Most high-end graphics cards are going to support basically any monitor you can plug into them. If you mean performance-wise, I'm pretty sure 1070 is roughly equivalent to a 980ti.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

quote:

Acer’s Predator XB273K will hit the North American market in the fourth quarter, in time for holiday season. In the U.S., the LCD will cost $1,299, whereas in Europe it is going to carry a €1,499 ($1,749 tax included) price tag.

:negative:

Article is from end of August, so I guess this isn't news, but drat.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

TheFluff posted:

the G-sync variant only has one DP port and will most likely top out at 120Hz without chroma subsampling. Or 98Hz if you're using HDR, I think.

Wait, what? The explicitly non-HDR variant gsync monitor has a HDR mode?

I feel a little better about it being hugely overpriced in Europe if I don't want it anyway, which I don't if it's literally impossible to drive at the panel's top refresh rate without compression. It seems a bit of a misstep by nvidia to be objectively worse than the freesync variant, particularly at the very top end. I suppose that's not going to make anyone go AMD though.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

tzirean posted:

I've heard, but don't know the details, that Win10 will not play nicely with two monitors with different refresh rates. Is this true, and does the resolution affect this?

I don't think windows 10 has issues with monitors at different refresh rates, but I think some programs do. For example I get occasional desync and stuttering watching youtube or twitch on chrome with a game running, but it's fine with firefox. I get similar issues playing videos with potplayer, but not vlc.

For reference my primary monitor is a 144Hz g-sync and my secondary is a 60Hz non g-sync that's generally used for video.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

tzirean posted:

Both are fine when I'm not gaming, but I'm running on a 9700K so the cores shouldn't be a problem...

This is specific to VLC, but try different output methods, it comes with a load and some are better than others, depending on what else you're doing. I want to say I'm using one of the directx options currently, but in the past I've had better luck with opengl. Very occasionally certain output modes flat out don't work with certain games running.

I don't have Netflix myself so can't suggest anything there, other than that Firefox has been by far the most compatible playing video on a second screen for me. Is there anything that lets you pipe Netflix to a real video player like streamlink for twitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I haven't gone around looking at a load of TN monitors, but the ones I've owned (all 24" or below) I could clearly see the difference in colour between the middle of the screen and the corners at normal desktop viewing distances. Granted I don't think I've ever looked at a "high-end" TN monitor.

The only practical benefit of TN imo is the price.