Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Link a picture of your desk please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

So what's a PLS panel? Apparently this new Samsung monitor has one.
If you want to do that, do it right and get a Dell U3011.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Read the OP.

Quoting Movax's fantastic OP again here (these often go on sale, helping you get near your price point):

movax posted:

Dell U2211H (21.5", IPS)
Inputs: DVI, DisplayPort, VGA
Resolution: 1920x1080
Recommended: Good monitor, terrible value
+/- Anti-Glare Coating
+ standard Dell height-adjustable/swivel stand
+ USB Hub
- really expensive for 22"

Dell U2311H (IPS) U2312HM is the new refresh of this. Look for closeouts on the 2311H!
Inputs: DVI, DisplayPort, VGA
Recommended: If it's cheap, the U2312HM replaces this in every way.
Tags: Premium, Dell, UltraSharp, 23", 16:9
+/- Anti-Glare Coating
+ affordable IPS monitor (if you want bang for your IPS-desiring bucks look here)
+ very low input lag for an IPS screen (<3ms)
+ USB Hub

Dell U2312HM (IPS)
Inputs: 1x DVI, 1x VGA, 1x DisplayPort
Recommended: YES
Tags: Premium, Dell, UltraSharp, 23", 16:9
+/- Anti-Glare Coating
+ affordable IPS monitor (if you want bang for your IPS-desiring bucks look here)
+ LED backlit (compared to its CCFL predecessor)
+ even lower input lag (source)
+ USB Hub

Basically a 1:1 replacement for the U2311H with a sleeker bezel, lower input lag, and a LED backlight.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cicero posted:

If you have a monitor in portrait mode, is there an easy way to get windows to take up half the screen vertically instead of horizontally?

1. Right click desktop.
2. Click Screen Resolution.
3. Click monitor in question.
4. Click Orientation drop down menu and change from Landscape to Portrait.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

teagone posted:

I'm looking for an LCD that can physically rotate and do portrait mode. Doesn't have to be anything special quality wise as I'm really not looking to spend a lot. Basically I just need something in the 18-20" range that can be used to display long lists of crap. Anyone know of a specific model/brand that can do this?

Dell U2312HM, $204 on Amazon.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=ussoho1&l=en&sku=320-2807

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tatsujin posted:

I want to get a third display for each of my two desktops. They both have identical video cards (ATI 5850 - HDMI/DVI-I/DisplayPort) that currently have HDMI going to TVs, and DVI going to existing displays. It looks like I would need an active adapter due to the weirdness of the video card, so it feels like I'm either paying a shitton for an active adapter, or a higher-class display that utilizes DisplayPort. It just seems like I'm screwed either way and I shouldn't have chosen this video card to begin with.

Wrong. The video card is fine. There aren't many cards that do 3x dvi/HDMI natively (those that do are very expensive).

And a Dell U2312 which has displayport is less than 200 bucks.

Get the Dell.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Calidus posted:

I am looking for some recommendations for a triple monitor stand or wall mounts for my three Dell u2412m monitors. I figured this would be the best place to ask.

MDM11S and get additional arms.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm thinking about getting a couple of Dell 2007FPs. They're 1600x1200 and ~99.5PPI. I have a Dell U3011 which is 2560x1600 and ~100.5PPI. My plan is to turn the 2007FPs on their side to flank the U3011. There's about 1/5 of an inch in difference between the panels in height, so if I center them vertically, there should be ~10 pixel discrepancy at the top and bottom where the monitors meet. That seems close enough to where it wouldn't bother me. I've got a 2GB 6950 so it should be able to drive 3 monitors. Has anyone else tried something similar to matching up different panels? Am I missing anything?

I'm doing exactly this with my 6950 and my u2311h x 2 and u3011. Works great.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Do you have the u2311hs in portrait? I wanted to do this so the 1600px sides would line up.

Yes, they are in portrait (the 2 2311Hs on the sides. The 2311H on top is clearly in landscape :) )

The big one in the middle is the U3011.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 18, 2013

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

I'm doing exactly this with my 6950 and my u2311h x 2 and u3011. Works great.

Just to be clear, I actually have all 4 (2 side U2311Hs, one middle U3011 and one top U2311H) hooked up to the same 6950.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

hotsauce posted:

I'm looking to update my office setup and have a question. For reference, the computer driving this (these) will be a Lenovo X230. I don't game, but I do live in Excel and Outlook (among other business applications) and want to maximize my space/efficiency.

I currently have two non-IPS HP 23" panels. They are pretty lovely, and are impossible to calibrate properly. Colors are junk and I generally hate them. They are 1920x1080.

I'm looking at either two U2412M (total $527) or one U3011 ($1078 - ouch).

I know the 30" has much higher resolution, but in practice for business uses, is having two 24" vs one 30" better? I know "better" is a difficult thing to quantify, but just looking for the general consensus.

Thanks

Definitely 2 x 24 is better for your work. Outlook open in one, excel or word in the other.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Depends on the GPU I believe. Technically VGA can definitely do 1080p and possibly 1200 too.

You can't daisy chain. The monitors only have dp in. No out.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Buy a displayport cable. The monitors have displayports.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I jumped on the hype train and bought a Acer XB271HU. loving hell the stand on this thing is huge. If you're considering one, keep in mind that you'll need about 8 inches of space behind the screen. I had a 24" monitor with a sensibly sized stand, so between the increased screen area and it being closer to me, it's on the borderline of being too large.

On the upside, no stuck pixels and backlight bleed isn't a problem.

Depends on the monitor I think - for mine it specifically says refresh rates greater than 60Hz are only supported on display port.

Does it have vesa mounting holes so you can use your own desk clamp instead of the monitor stand?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

When is the Asus pg27uq (the 4k 144hz ips gsync) expected to be available?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

eames posted:

console gamers don't

:discourse:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

2 DP cables probably.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a decent computer with a nVidia 1080 and am currently running 2 x Dell U2311H monitors (1080p each, 60hz). They are showing their age. Not enough pixels on each monitor, screens are a bit small, and not good enough a refresh rate.

I want something that will be 120hz or higher, not-TN and ideally whatever Variable Refresh Rate tech a nVidia 1080 can run with the latest drivers (gsync, freesync2, adaptive sync?) but if the thread thinks VRR is not useful or imperceptible, happy to forego it. It needs to be more pixels than 1080p and bigger than 23".

I basically want a new monitor to play Doom Eternal on. I am happy to wait till basically March 14th before pulling the trigger, if that helps (Doom Eternal is out March 20th).

I don't mind buying pre-loved/used/open box, and the max I'm willing to spend is about £350 (I'm in the UK).

What monitor should I buy?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

TheFluff posted:

You absolutely want variable refresh rate, and probably Freesync (which Nvidia cards from the 1000-series and up do support these days).

Rosoboronexport asked for almost the same thing a few posts above yours so you can look there for recommendations, but his budget was a bit above yours. Still, it looks like you can get the Acer XV272UP for £340 on sale right now, so that's probably your best bet.

I don't know if there's much of a used market for high refresh rate 1440p gaming displays yet, they're still fairly new thing as far as monitors go.

Just bought the Acer XV272UP. Thank you. :)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

AirRaid posted:

:hfive: it’s a real nice screen. I’m a week or so into mine and loving it.

It just arrived today. It's excellent.

One niggle: it's brightness is very bright. It can be adjusted down, but only so much, best to use in a lit room, in the dark at night, with no other lights, it would be a bit too bright IMO.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

a decent IPS monitor still is at absolute minimum $100 so you have owned these monitors for $100 ea divided by X years.

Absolutely amazing value. Dell makes loving great monitors.

K8.0 wasn't kidding about "will probably be fantastic, try resetting the settings first" bit, though.

I bought my XB270HU for $270 from acerrecertified though. In early 2016. :getin:

I am still going strong on a Dell U2311H (one of 3 I've had over a decade). The other 2: gave one away (still works), 1 started getting flickery (backlight issue) after a decade of hard hard use.

I also had a U3011 which still works fine too, also gave away to a mate.

Dell makes good poo poo.

I am currently rocking an Acer XV272 (thanks thread!) and that last U2311H.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I switch input sources a lot, e.g. from HDMI1 for my laptop to HDMI2 for my desktop, or Displayport to DVI.

I have a Dell U2311H and a Acer XV272U. Both require 3 or 4 clicks of physical buttons on the monitors themselves to switch input source.

I want to replace the Dell U2311H with a new monitor.

Criteria required:

2560x1440 or bigger.
27".
IPS.
60Hz or higher. 120hz is a plus.
VRR not important, but would be nice to have.
Input interfaces: HDMI, DP at least. USB-C would be a plus.
and the most important: 1 click to switch between input source.
Nice to have: a remote to switch input source.

Any recommendations? I'm in the UK.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rebus posted:

I picked up the AW3821DW a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty awesome. I also paid £1040 for it so you should look around for a better discount deal if you're going for the smaller model.

gently caress, link where you paid £1040 for it!!!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful thank you.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It'll be fine for 2D games.

It will not be fine for any modern 3D games.

It will be fine for desktopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Theoretical Cat posted:

I'm in the market for a 2k high refresh rate monitor and found this at a local Microcenter.

I was curious if any goons had any experience with this monitor or Acer in general. I've never purchased Acer products but the display model looked pretty awesome.

I've never seen a 2k, 170Hz, HDR400 monitor at this price so I've figured it was one hell of a deal.

Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

It's currently selling for $350.

I have one. It's ok. Occasional rare black outs. No idea why.