Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ShredsYouSay posted:

Yeesh, so I'm guessing a u2412M is the newer one? My current monitor keeps having random green lines at random moments.

Really Dell just went to the U2414 and other things instead. They've moved away from 16:10 ips monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

dy. posted:

I did notice some weird bugs where I got stuck using a terminal and had to load a savegame. I guess that's why! Didn't notice physics being any wackier than normal though.

At higher fps the game just runs faster though it really doesn't become super noticeable unless you're above 144 fps (like getting up to 250 somehow).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Ah, that must be it.

You'd be surprised how many warehouse monitors are perfectly fine, and free return shipping if they aren't.

Not working for me either and I am the primary account holder. It's a prime student account though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

So I've setup my xb271hu. This thing is really really REALLY bright. And Huge. Bright and huge and smooth. It's going to take some time to adjust.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Zorilla posted:

Monitors are usually cranked up to full brightness or close to it from the factory or on the showroom floor so they stand out. Most can do 350 cd/m^2, but 120-150 is going to be a lot more comfortable for extended, real world use (so, like 30-40%).

I dropped it to 35 and it seems alright. I'll play around with it some more later

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Rabid Snake posted:

So I just got my refurb X34 and XB271HU today. The X34 came in perfect but I'm having problems with my XB271HU. If I have a game that's exclusively full screen, if I alt tab, the screen artifacts and flickers for a second. I made a recording of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2K_icxqEF8

It doesn't do that with my X34. I thought it was the display port wire but after switching wires between the X34 and the XB271HU, it still does it.

I ended up googling the problem. It seems like other people are having it too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2cttk6/gsync_flickering_bug/

Is it a hardware issue or a software issue? I'm doubting software because my X34 works perfectly fine.

edit: Switching from a FreeSync set up to a G-Sync set up, I think the best thing is how G-Sync still works in Borderless Fullscreen.

I have the same flicker with my new xb217hu and thought it was just normal 'cause dumb gsync/display port issues.

edit: I'm on windows 10 with an evga 1070 acx 3.0 sc

edit 2: Also seems to mainly happen with valve's source engine games. Nevermind happens with rocket league when I swap around from borderless to fullscreen and back.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 16, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm on Windows 10 with a Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070. My X34 doesn't have this issue so it must be the g sync module or something in the XB271HU? It also doesn't happen in Doom which uses Vulcan.

Must be some weird thing with DX9. Rocket League uses DX9 and has it. Valve Source games use DX9 and have it.

Doom doesn't have it on opengl 4.5 or vulkan. Rise of the tomb raider doesn't have it on DX11 or DX12 (it'll flicker rapidly while alt-tabbing 4 or 5 times but there won't be artifacting)

edit 2: Gotta be DX9 related. Civ V DX9 has it. Civ V DX11 doesn't have it (just that rapid flash like Rise)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 16, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah my 271hu is also perfect minus that issue and it's mostly a non issue to me since I guess it's just a DX9 thing with the monitor and gsync and it doesn't bother me

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

So you've over clocked it to 165 from 144? How hard is that?

It's just a setting in the OSD. You turn it on and choose between 150 and 165. and hit apply & reboot. The monitor reboots itself and you just pick 165hz in nvidia control panel

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sweet, MPC-BE supports G-Sync in D3D Fullscreen mode. Finally the ability to watch movies at native framerates without fudging around because configurations get blown to hell all the time (I'm looking at you, MPC-HC).

could you elaborate a bit. i thought mpc-hc was working fine with native framerates and g-sync and/or just working fine at 120hz and not messing with stuff?

edit: I have an xb271hu so if there's a way to make g-sync work right with media player that'd be cool.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

It seems like borderless windowed mode runs terribly on my xb271hu and 1070. Sounds like that's a common thing?

Also in the last few days I'll occasionally see a flash of those gross green/red lines spanning the length of the screen distributed randomly vertically. Is my refurbed xb271hu bad? It's still within 90 days. I noticed it more at the desktop I think and my GPU overclock is off. Any ideas?

If it flashes/artifacts when starting up a game check to see if that is a DX9 game. If it is, that's just what the 271hu does with g-sync on for dx9 games. Or anyway it's what my monitor and someone else's in this thread's monitor did. DX11 games don't have this problem.

If this is happening mid game or something then it's something else or is a constant effect than that's something else.

Try reseating the cable. Display Port cables lock/click into place.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

It will happen just as I browse around in Windows. I noticed it two days ago for the first time and it was in Windows and then continued in WoW I think for a few minutes maybe. Didn't notice it all yesterday.

Yeah that doesn't sound normal but could be the cable? I dunno.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

I'm still having issues with my xb271hu in borderless window with my 1070. Is it normal for the framerate to heavily drop from fullscreen? Even in an old game like WoW I'll get below 30 fps sometimes and other times it's just not smooth at all.

No, not normally. List some games that it's happening in and I'll test it on mine if I own the game. I also have a xb271hu and a 1070 (evga acx 3.0). cpu wise it's just an i5-3550 with 16 gigs of ram

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jose posted:

So i've installed my gtx 1060 and updated the drivers but my pc isn't detecting my asus vg248 on display port. Googling has suggested i needed to make power settings high performance but no luck there. On windows 7

Make sure you plugged the cord in all the way. Unlike HDMI they click into place. Only mentioning this since I somehow didn't plug mine in all the way on one end when I got my xb271hu. Other than that I'm not sure what's wrong. HDMI works right?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Well I got "permanent" image retention in my Acer XB271hu. Upping the refresh rate to 144/165 makes the words blur a lot more but there's still a blotch of darker pixels.

I guess I'm in the market for a new monitor. I have a GTX 1080ti right now for my GPU and even though it's kinda underpowered for it, I'm tempted to look into a 4k monitor. Probably gonna wait til the 4080/4070 come out before I make a decision either way I think. Mainly posting this here because wow I didn't think a LCD could get image retention/burn in like this.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Truga posted:

this is normal especially on aging IPS screens if you had something high contrast there like that black text against white background for a long-rear end time (like when windows randomly decides to turn on your screen after you've stepped away for a couple hours). i thought my ancient 30" IPS also was going bad, but it turned out it was just a temporary dark line because i had a bright scrollbar in the middle of a dark screen lol

it should go away by itself over a night or so

There's been a two or so inch blotch of darker pixels that's only really noticeable on mostly pure color backgrounds in that area for I think about a year. I remember seeing it on sky backgrounds on some games like FF14. I only noticed the text part a day ago so :shrug:

edit: like it doesn't show up on white or very dark backgrounds. It isn't really an actual issue yet but I've been surprised at how long it's actually persisted. My guess is the letters will disappear so long as I don't leave chrome up all the time if I'm not using it but I think that bit of darker pixels may just be the monitor aging and not sending as much voltage to that section or something?

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 29, 2022

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

That got rid of the letters at least but the section is still a bit darker then the rest of the monitor when on blue backgrounds/some other colors that aren't close to pure black or close to pure white. It's worse at really low refresh rates so in the end...yeah, monitor's just getting old.

120hz

24hz

edit: also whoof, monitor's kinda dirty. Just realized I need to clean it up there too looking at those pictures blown up.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

K8.0 posted:

IPS monitors generally speaking do not experience burnin/burnout in any form, but it does seem like temporary to longer lasting problems are MUCH more common on g-sync module montors.

And whatever less than an hour you exercised those pixels is not enough. Do it longer, and/or leave the monitor unplugged at least 12+ hours.

I'll unplug it overnight or something and see how it acts.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Death On Toast posted:

Am I remembering right that micro HDMI is a notoriously fragile connector, and they have a high failure rate in laptops? Does mini DP suffer similar issues? Admittedly, laptops tend to have things plugged/unplugged far more frequently than a desktop or monitor would, which I assume would put a lot more stress/wear on the connector, but still seems like a horrible choice.

Mini DP has been kinda finicky/can have signal drop out if it gets knocked by accident on my dad's old Lenovo T540p but it took a couple of years of unplugging and plugging to make it that way. Need to get him a new cable to make sure it's not the laptop port. That laptop is really old by now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

change my name posted:

The Gigabyte G24F 2 is back down to $144 on Newegg and loving rocks: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012052R

Do note that this is the open box product page on newegg. The regular G24F2 link is still out of stock.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Mine also does it. It's rare enough I didn't care to try to get it fixed. Not sure if there ever was a fix, honestly.

Edit: mine only does 1 column/ of pixels as well, not multiple

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 30, 2023

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Hell my xb271hu just started smelling like ozone or burning plastic or something. Works fine but hell no unplugging this thing forever.

I need a new monitor but don't really have any idea what to get. I wouldn't mind moving up to 4k but I'm on a rtx 3080 10gb so feel like I'm going to probably bump into vram limits on more modern games. Still interested in getting a 4K monitor though.

Probably gonna want to avoid OLED since my budget tops out at more like $500-$650 or so not $1000 and because all the ways I use monitors are bad for them (a huge love of side by side windows, leaving chrome with a static bookmark bar that somehow caused image retention on the xb271hu, desktop icons that I still sometimes use, etc.)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

MAG version might lack firmware updates.