Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Anyone have experience with the Eizo Foris line?

I have a Dell 3008WFP and I'm considering trying out a smaller, more responsive monitor. All I do is game, and lately it's been mostly BF3 (soon to be BF4) so a low-input lag monitor is ideal. I don't care about 120 Hz and besides I want to stick with IPS monitors. If not the Eizo, maybe a smaller 23" Ultrasharp?

edit: Another appeal to having a smaller monitor is I won't have to feed so much money to my GPUs. My 580SLI is getting long in the tooth at 1600p when trying to max out effects.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

fookolt posted:

Well, with a 3007WFP-HC, there's no scaler so it's pretty drat responsive so all I do to avoid the GPU money pit is play everything windowed at like 1920x1200 (and it also means a far more manageable visual field for FPS games) :haw:

Maybe try that? Pretty much all I play is BF3 (and soon BF4) and I've never felt wanting for a more responsive monitor.

I'm uncomfortable purchasing an almost 7 year old monitor model at this point. It's true that the 3007 has reportedly very low input lag, but I'd still like a new monitor. Thanks for the input, though!

Also, I hear you about 1600P fullscreen being almost "too much" for FPS. Whenever I take a multiple day break from BF3/BF4 it takes me awhile to adjust to all the screen space. I think 30" is great for productivity and RTS games, but it's a bit too much for a hardcore FPSer.

Gwaihir posted:

Dell's own 24" monitors (2412 and 2413 in game mode) have extremely low input lag. The 3014 itself has a game mode that cuts out all the image processors for extremely fast response. I just upgraded from the 3008 to the 3014, and the improvement in power use/heat output and far, far better AG coating on the screen was worth it. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3014.htm

That said, it has serious pixel overdrive issues which might be annoying outside of games but are generally invisible (as far as I've seen, at least) while gaming or watching movies.

Wow, that review really does paint the 3014 as a large step up from the 3008. I'm finding I'm noticing more of the flaws of the monitor after I read that review (like sub-par black levels in low-light conditions). Sadly, it's way out of my budget range, and doesn't really solve my other issue of having to feed the GPU's lots of money to play at 1600p with all the effects cranked. A 1080p monitor is going to let me do that without throwing cash in to the money pit.

The 24" monitors (and the U2312HM) look interesting, but doesn't the "game" mode have detrimental effects to the image quality in order to achieve that ridiculously fast response time? That's what was attracting me to the Eizo FS-2333 - all reviews indicate it's the fastest IPS panel on the market and the color reproduction is accurate enough for graphics work. It's about $100 more than the U2312HM, though.

gently caress, buying a new monitor is more difficult than building a complete system. I don't even KNOW if the input lag in the 3008WFP is something I'm noticing - I'll need to try out a different monitor and make that judgment call.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

The thing about GTAV, not that I've played it, is that it crams a lot more detail and scale in than GTAIV, on the same engine and hardware. Something has to give. The frame rate in IV on 360 already was fairly poor, so I imagine GTAV is bleeding every last bit from that box.

I know GTAIV on 360 vs PC was absolutely no contest, the console version being horribly blurry, low res textures, low frame rate, etc.

I have GTA5, but never played 4. I'm absolutely amazed at what they pushed the 360 to do. Sure, some of the textures are blurry and low-rez (typically ground textures) but the cars, lighting effects, water...wow.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How did I misread that? :ughh:

I'll give it a shot tonight!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

fookolt posted:

No worries! You may find that just adjusting the screen space to a smaller size might be enough and then you don't have to buy another thingy!

Tried the 1200p windowed trick and it about halved my BF4 beta performance...

Gwaihir posted:

You must be a lot more sensitive to input lag than I am, because I never saw enough to even make me notice on the 3008-WFP. The 3008 had other issues, but being notably laggy was not one of them. Not compared to a monitor like the older 2408.

Response time and input lag as issues both seem like things of the past for *any* modern monitor, really. The only place you're really going to find them these days is in TVs or the real pro-level screens that are only focused on absolute accuracy.

Those "other issues" you mentioned are really starting to drive me nuts. The IPS glow is really prominent on this display, along with some considerable black light bleed. I've also noticed that reading text is less sharp then on my old Dell 2209WA displays I have in the office.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a 23" Eizo FS2333 as soon as I find them in stock somewhere, and give a trip report.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The AG coating could be leading to the sharpness issues. I think I've got myself worked up in circles over real and perceived faults of the display that it will take a side-by-side comparison with another display to get any sort of closure. Too bad the only electronics retailer where I live is loving Best Buy.

fake edit: I hear you on the heat. Mine is a great little space heater in the cold winter months!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Depths posted:

I've been looking for a new gaming monitor that i can also plug a PS4 into, so i'll probably need a HDMI slot and audio out?
I'm considering the ASUS VG248QE, is there any other screens i should peep?

What's your budget?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have an Eizo FS-2333 monitor arriving tomorrow. 23" IPS, 1080P with audio out and HDMI. Cost about $400 and is considered the best IPS gaming monitor sub 24". I'll post my impressions after I've had some time to mess with it.

fake edit: it's 60Hz only though. That Asus you linked is 144 Hz, so I don't know if 60 Hz is a deal breaker.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

goobernoodles posted:

I'm currently using a janky-rear end Hanns-G HG-281DPB I got used for $150. I'm hoping to move up to 2560x1440 or maybe 2560x1600. I play BF3/BF4, CS:GO and some other FPSes mainly.

Is the Dell U2713HM the current go-to monitor? Is 30" too much for fast paced FPSes? Anyone have any input on the handful of off-brand Korean monitors available on newegg?

I'm currently running a GTX 480 that I'm waiting to upgrade to a 290/290X or 770 or something along those lines. Waiting for aftermarket coolers on the 290X.

e: Anyone know if the Monoprice IPS monitors are any good? http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10734&seq=1&format=1#largeimage I just chatted with their support and they said they're expecting shipment of these on 11/22.

I feel like I'm qualified to give you a couple thoughts on this as I recently just stepped down from 1600p to 1080p and I'm heavy FPS gamer.

I went from a Dell 3008WFP IPS to a Eizo FS-2333 IPS for several reasons.

1) 1600p requires extremely formidable expenditures for GPU upgrades if you are like me and want every single practical setting dialed up. At 1600p my 580SLI required some dialing down of effects to maintain 60FPS, whereas at 1080p it's complete and utter overkill on Ultra w/4XMSAA and HBAO.

2) My desk requires me have my face about 12 inches away from the monitor. At that distance I find myself moving my head often to read from one screen corner to another on a 30" screen. That much screen space was really useful for work, and I would imagine would have some tangible benefits in RTS games (which I don't play). However, for FPS games it led to slow reaction times as my FOV was pretty limited. This is really the number one reason I switched to a smaller, 23" 1080p panel.

3) Old tech vs. new tech. My Dell has a hardware scaler that introductes at least 30ms of lag. My Eizo practically has none besides the G2G response time of something ridiculous like 4ms. This is improved response is noticeable now that I made the switch. It's my understanding that the newer 27" and 30" IPS panels don't have this kind of input lag - though it's not as fast as a smaller display - and specifically the 2713HM has a "gamer mode" that bypasses all the hardware scaling circuity that would introduce input lag. On the flip side it locks you in to an uncalibrated color profile when doing that. In my opinion, if speed is all you care about, you are better served by a 120Hz TN monitor if you want 1440p. If you want the color response of an IPS screen you'll have to be careful about the model you choose as most panels above 1200p are going to have some kind of scaler circuitry.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
1080p looked like blurry poo poo on my 30" in full screen. In fact, everything non-native still looked like doo-doo, scaler chip be damned. I tried BF4 beta in windowed 1080p mode and it actually ran worse than full screen 1600p; I suspect a driver issue.

I never bothered with windowed 1080p on BF3 and now that the 30" is in my storage closet I can't be assed to swap the 23" out and give it a whirl.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

I would bet the problem is VRAM size there, and the GPUs are twiddling their virtual thumbs.

Should have specified that I bought the 3GB models, so nope it wasn't VRAM limitation. The GPUs ran 99% utilization while playing.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

Also I know for a fact I'm not the only one that brought a new PC monitor because GTAV looked absolutely poo poo on our 1080p big screen TV's. Going from my 50 inch 1080p "slow" tv to a 24 inch 1ms g2g ASUS vg248qe made the game look a ton better.

[edit] Wait, that's not what you're asking I think.

I hooked it up to my Eizo FS2333 and think it looks worse compared to my 46" TV. Most likely because I sit pretty close to the computer monitor so the aliasing is REALLY apparent.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Why would you need gameplay recording hardware when there is Shadowplay?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Have any of you guys given Eizo a try? I know they are more expensive, but if you are looking to avoid the Monitor roulette process of Dell they are extremely well regarded. I have a 23" FS2333 that I've been incredibly impressed by.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

I'm not sure, I wasn't brave enough to tear my old 3008 apart since it was still mostly fine. It looked to be deeper than the AG coating though- I would guess between the actual front part of the screen and whatever layer comes behind that? I don't remember how LCD are put together exactly. Maybe it's the polarizer?

e: Here's what mine looked like, sorta a coffee ring stain effect

So not much that can be done about it? I have a pair of 2209WAs at work that have this effect, literally in the same exact spot the other poster mentioned.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So I just spent an absurd amount of money for an Eizo EV2736 based on lots of reports of it being an IPS glow free panel, only to receive and find it has really heavy glow in the lower left corner. I've sent it back to B&H and am waiting for my second panel. In the interim it's got me thinking about the whole IPS vs. TN debate. I'll admit that I've never actually owned a TN monitor. Some of the folks at work have them, and while viewing angles are genuinely awful they seem to be just fine for office use. I drank the IPS Koolaid years ago even though my typical usage patterns doesn't really paint me as the intended audience. My home machine is used only for gaming, with some web browsing and light home office work, like paying bills. It's absolutely not used for productivity, and for media I have a Samsung 51" Plasma.

If my next panel comes back as a dud I'm considering checking out that Asus 1440P G-Sync monitor that everyone is raving about. My only trepidation is that it's a TN panel, but I'm wondering if the color reproduction is really going to be noticeable given that I only game? Is there anyone here who has gone from IPS to TN gaming panel who can share their thoughts?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Most 1080P IPS/PLS panels are less than 1 frame input lag at this point. I can't really recommend any however that meet your requirement for 1080P@27"; the Benq TN panels come in that configuration. Can you do 24" 1080P?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I think blur reduction is just applied to the signal that's coming on to the monitor, it doesn't make any distinction about the source.

If you aren't a FPS gamer then are you certain you need blur reduction? I've always seen it marketed on the FPS gaming TN panels. What games do you play?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
That is either backlight bleed or IPS glow (probably this one). If the former it's ground for a return/exchange. If the latter you could exchange and hope you get one with less pronounced glow, but don't count on it. IPS glow is endemic to the technology and you generally have to pay out of your rear end for a model that eliminates this "feature".

See how the bleed on the top shifts between the two photos? That is IPS glow, which changes based on viewing distance and angle.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

everythingWasBees posted:

Well now I feel like I've been complaining about nothing.

Ignore the light in the corners, I don't actually notice that on day to day use. What bothers me is that spot of light a fifth from the left on the bottom. It's visible from all angles and brightens that area to a point where it's visible even when the screen isn't dark.
If that's standard, going through the difficulty of RMAing seems awful silly.

The fact that the spot doesn't change intensity based on viewing angle and lighting says backlight bleed to me. I'd RMA it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

What affordable models with the least of either are there, in either 24" or 27"?

What's your definition of affordable?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

500€ for a 24", 700€ for a 27". A little undefined headroom upwards, but that depends basically on the weather.

Brands like NEC and Eizo easily go for double of that. There's for instance the Asus PA series or the Dells that are factory calibrated, but they're somewhat uneven lit in the corners.

Well, I have an Eizo EV2736W (1440P, 27" IPS) that I paid about $800 for. Primary selling point was it was most samples were glow free, however it seems like the gravy train has passed and all recent models (including mine) exhibit some form of IPS glow. Not entirely sure what the prices are like in Euro land, but here in the states your budget would easily get you Eizo and NECs, which is what I would genuinely recommend.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Get the Benq BL2710PT if you want a 1440P IPS monitor with domestic support (i.e. not a Korean monitor).

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have the Eizo EV2736W and I'm pleased with it. The only negatives are 1)the price and 2) IPS glow. It's generally considered the best 1440p IPS display for <$1000. Competing models in the States go for about $450-$600. If the price gap is much smaller in Europe without a doubt buy the Eizo.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have a pair of 24" 1080P TN monitors at work and a hugely expensive 27" 1440P IPS (60 Hz) monitor at home (exclusively used for gaming). I'm considering trying out this GSYNC thing that everyone is raving about which would mean replacing the home IPS screen.

For general office use I have no complaints regarding these cheapy work TN monitors (Asus something-or-others, might be $150/pop), and while I would certainly be able to tell a difference in IQ between them and my Eizo IPS, I can't definitely say that one is better than the other for web-browsing and general office work.

However, the IPS glow of my home monitor is really irritating. Given that I don't notice the common TN complaints (poor colors, poo poo viewing angles) on my work screens, I'm thinking about grabbing the Dell S2716DG over one of the IPS based GSYNC monitors since I'm very sensitive to IPS glow. It's my understanding that if I purchase the screen from Dell or Amazon it could be considered a trial period as I can just return it if I decide my current IPS monitor is a better fit.

Coincidentally, does anyone have any thoughts on how a console game would look on one of these? 90% of my time is PC gaming, but it would be nice to hook my PS4 up as well for the odd games I play on it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Well, Dell does not make any IPS G-Sync monitors yet, only a single TN.

Amazon puts a disclaimer on all IPS screens that says something to the effect of "IPS can have backlight bleed and that is normal, so deal with it", so they could conceivably hassle you on a return if you give that as the specific return reason.

I'm not quite following you, my point was that I'm not considering any IPS GSYNC screens precisely because of the glow that is inherit in the technology, and also that the ones available have horrid QA/QC. I am considering a TN screen just to see how the common complaints (bad colors, viewing angles) shake out when gaming; they aren't an issue for me on my office TN screens which is common application where the complaints come up.

So worse comes to worst I'm out return shipping if I order from Amazon, I can live with that.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

pigdog posted:

If you're fine with regular crappy monitor for office use, then I think you'll be fine with S2716DG for gaming.

For what it's worth I didn't notice any backlight bleed on mine, the blacks were quite uniform. Just note that if you do get one, it's way bright out of the box and blacks therefore not the deepest. 25% brightness ought to be the calibrated value.

Thanks, and yes - I read the TFTcentral review and was planning on using their settings should I get the monitor.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

pigdog posted:

However, if you're using it for mainly for gaming and occasional web, then Dell is still a really solid choice at $300 less.

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to trying out the Dell because of the response rate. I've been gaming on my Plasma lately, and going back to my IPS monitor is like a kick in teeth - blurry due to slow pixel response times, blacks are sub-par, and the IPS glow is obnoxious. I realize TN have their own bag of poo poo to deal with, it will be interesting to see how I like one.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is it best to buy a Dell monitor direct from Dell (and get it price matched) or through Amazon? I'm going to pull the trigger on the S2716DG and both vendors appear to have the same return policy.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

What about the Dell S2716DG? I know it's a TN panel, but people are swooning about it having decent color reproduction and none of the IPS glow and BLB bullshit.

I just ordered one of these from Amazon, so if you can wait through the weekend I can give my impressions then.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Would be cool to hear about it. I can live with color casting that happens on angles I don't sit at to begin with, but I'd like to hear more about the grain of the antiglare coating. I hear different things, some say it's fine, others pretend like it's like sugar grains.

As just said, I don't care about a display being able of color accuracy at a 160° viewing angle, I look at my two screens at 90° max (--edit: or whatever, I think I have my angles wrong). 144hz is also purely optional, merely a slight nice to have. Remains to be seen whether said pixel response is an issue in 60hz gaming (I don't play twitchy shooters a la Unreal).

I guess I'll be looking into AM-VA, too. --edit: The 1440p ones all seem 32" only. Too big. :|

If I end up not liking the TN Dell I'll go back to IPS monitors and spend a bunch of money on finding one with low glow. My current monitor, a 27" IPS 1440P has very distracting glow in the lower left corner of the screen. I'm OK with IPS glow in general as long as it's evenly distributed across the panel and not heavily concentrated in one specific area. Sadly, all the AU panels in use in the 144 Hz gaming screens seem to have glow/bleed heavily in one or more corners, and that's unacceptable to me.

The glow in this video is OK to me. In fact, anyone have any experience with this monitor? It's expensive as all hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9n4xXpOvmE&t=189s

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The 2750 model is actually new; you are probably thinking of the 2736, which is what I currently own. The 2736 started out glow-free and eventually Eizo switch the panels out for ones with pretty heavy glow. I ended up keeping my 2736 after a couple of RMAs as I got sick of playing the lottery and grew accustomed to the heavy corner glow, but coming back to my PC after an extended hiatus playing games and movies on my Plasma TV it's prompted me to look at a new monitor.

edit: I'm rolling with the TN Dell as an experiment as I have TN monitors at work and they look fine to me for desktop use. I've never had a high refresh rate monitor for gaming before, but don't want to bother with the IPS Asus and Acer monitors because of QA/QC lotteries, and also I hate the "gamer" aesthetics on them.

On a funny note, somehow my autodimming brightness function was re-enabled on my Eizo. It was really bothering me that my monitor appeared washed out as hell! Now with it properly turned off, and at a brightness that outputs around 120cd/m^2, the colors really really pop. It's a shame about the heavy corner glow.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 7, 2016

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Received the Dell SG2716, oh my is 144 Hz + Gsync such a stark contrast from 60 Hz. I've used the TFT central OSD settings and ICC profile and it looks pretty good, though the colors aren't near as vivid as my Eizo IPS. Not having any IPS glow is pretty great, though I do notice some backlight bleed/clouding around the bottom of the bezel. I'll have to take photos in the evening.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

But it isn't some washed out mess, right? As said, I've reports that it's pretty competent colorwise considering it's TN.

Meanwhile I've read things that the panel in the EV2750 is supposedly the same as in the Dell U2715H and some LG one (well, it is a LG panel). This is tricky, whether the extra for Eizo includes QC or just the branding.

Not washed out at all once I applied the TFT central settings. The most important settings is the OSD default brightness is obscenely high at 75. Setting it down to 26 or so really cleans up the image.

I just played about 20 minutes of Hyper Light Drifter, which has very vivid colors, and it looks on-par with my Eizo IPS (I can't A/B them, nor do I want to), with the added bonus of no glow. We'll see how the monitor settles in, but so far I'm extremely pleased with it.

edit: I think we are both reading from the same sources (Hardforum?). I've read that the LG 27MB85R-B is/was the best 60 Hz, 1440P IPS monitor around because of very fast pixel response times, negligible lag (6.8 ms) and very low glow for an IPS panel. If for some reasons I don't stick with this Dell, the LG will be my next purchase. The Eizo 2750 and Dell U2715H both use the same panel as the above LG.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 7, 2016

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have several posts on this page about how pleased I am with the Dell. I've only ever owned IPS monitors and I don't notice any of the supposed defects of TN panels in this monitor. Get the Dell.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Folks who are looking at the 144 Hz IPS monitors really owe it to themselves to look in to the Dell S2716DG. It's a TN monitor, but an extremely nice one. No IPS glow to deal with, and the colors are almost as nice as my Eizo 1440P IPS monitor.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

What about the matte grain? Is it really that coarse? Because I came across a bunch of posts of people dicking around with damp towels to get the matte film to unstick.

I don't think the AG coating on this is any more aggressive than other units on the market. It doesn't look any different to my Eizo EV2736W, which is IPS.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I presume the thin blue light at the bottom bezel is blacklight bleed?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zorilla posted:

That's your S27D16G, right? That's where the LED light bar lives, and pretty much every edge-lit TN screen I've seen does that.

Yup, it's the 2716DG. This was an iphone picture so I realize the quality is pretty meh. I intend on borrowing my brother's DSLR and taking a better photo at night. I don't notice it while gaming, but on an all black screen I can see that bleed/clouding/whatever it is. I'm just trying to get a feel if this issue is worth an exchange or not. The rest of the panel I'm very happy with, so I'm not sure if it's worth rolling the dice on getting a worse panel as an exchange. I might just order a second one from Amazon and keep whichever is the nicest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zorilla posted:

Yeah, it's hard to tell from a photo like that because it tends to exaggerate it. If it actually is as bad in real life as it looks there, then I take it back; I would exchange it because that's too much to a TN screen. You can expect a tiny bit of glow coming from the bottom, but that's it.

The photo is exaggerating it; you really have to look for it in person as it's a pretty small amount of glow. When I have a chance in the evening I'll snap a photo with an actual camera using a 1/8 shutter speed per recommendations in the TFT central review and see if I get a picture close to the one in the review.