Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The LG 34UM95 looks amazing. Is there any reason it would not work well for gaming? My wife and I also do a lot of work from home, and having 2 monitors is really nice for that. But 2 monitors sucks for gaming. Could this be the best of both worlds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

If you're not exactly competitive or a big stickler for refresh rates and pixel response time, I think it's perfectly fine as would pretty much any IPS or VA panel for that matter. I play shooters on my 34UM95P and Diablo 3 on random occasions and it's totally fine for me given I suck at video games requiring twitch reactions a lot and nothing will really change that much. Be sure that you turn on DisplayPort 1.2 though because if you don't you'll be stuck at 30 Hz. I was wondering wtf was making my screen look so laggy when I got the monitor and after I fumbled with some settings and wound up turning on DP 1.2 everything looked a ton better. I'm sure most of the people in this thread would agree the difference from 30 Hz to 60 Hz is probably a lot better than going from, say, 60 Hz to maybe even 144 Hz.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds awesome. Since we are going to have to rebuild our PCs anyways for the increased resolution, we may just wait to see what happens with the Acer Predator XR341CK. It's supposedly coming out in July, and that's likely about when we'd be making the purchases anyways.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So apparently Newegg has a promo code on the LG 34UM94-P. Down to 751 from 899. Amazon has for 865. I really want to pick this monitor up, but I was going to wait until July to check out that Acer Predator and give myself time to build a new PC at the same time. Tell me I should not buy this monitor to pair with my GeForce 760. Convince me to wait, goons!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

Ohhhhhhh man. I just bought an LG 34UC97. I have been using a lovely 23" Samsung thing for like 6 years so this should be a slight upgrade.

gently caress me. Please tell me how it is. Have been really trying not to buy o E just yet for me and my wife. Especially interested in how it is for gaming or using the it as dual monitors for working.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

So my new 34UC97 looks a little... I dunno how to describe it... grainy? Think just don't quite look as good as they should. I'm using Display Port right now (from my GTX970). Any ideas?

E: Grainy probably isn't the right word. Things just don't look quite as sharp as they should.

Keep us updated on this. I haven't seen anyone else complain about it not looking right, but I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

On the Lg 34um95, can anyone provide details of how the split screen works? The one where you can have two physical sources set up and split the screen in half like it's two monitors. Could you hook up the same PC provided your video card had the outputs? How hard is it to switch back to a single input? I know that LG has a software solution that will split windows for you, but my wife and I both work from home a lot so any remote session would work better if it saw it as two different monitors. Is that possible?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got the LG 34UC95 today... It's awesome. Loving the ultra wide setup.

[Edit: Has anyone found a way to "snap" a window to the center of the monitor in Windows 7? Doing poo poo like surfing the forums is ridiculous fullscreen, but snapping it the left or right makes it off-center and I have to tilt my head. Snap to center would be perfect.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 9, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. Will give those programs a try. Going to be hard to go to work this morning and leave the new hotness behind. Get my 980ti on Wednesday. :cool:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

What's the diff between this and the LG 34UM95-P? I'm very quickly discovering that similar names for quite differently specced monitors is a bit of a minefield.

And on that, is the one I mentioned any good as an all-purpose monitor including some gaming?

I believe it's just the warranty.

The wife and I both plan on using it for work and for gaming. It definitely seems like it is going to take some getting used to, but once I am over that hump I don't see myself ever going back. I'm not sure it would quality as a "gaming monitor," but if you're not into hugely competitive FPS or anything I don't really see it being much of a problem. I couldn't wait for the newer ultrawide G-SYNC monitors coming out, and honestly I'm not sure I'd want to pay the premium over one of these.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright thread, I generally try to stay out of here because it's not good for my wallet but with the 3080 upgrade coming, what 34 inch ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor should I get? Currently have an LG UM95 34UM95-P and I am itching to upgrade. Budget of maybe around $800?

[Edit: Is the answer a LG 34GN850?]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 1, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

LG CX 48 or LG 38GL950G

Does that mean the 34 inch version, the LG 34GN850-B, is also a good buy?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the perspective. I have one of the older 34 inch LG models, about 5 years old, and it doesn't do more than 60hz and doesn't have AdaptiveSync/VRR. Older graphics card couldn't really do it anyways, so I wasn't too worried about it. It looks like the 34GK950F is $100 cheaper, which doesn't seem worth it. The 38GL950G is another 50% more dollars, so that's a pretty big jump. I guess my only concern with the LG 34GN850-B is the lack of contrast and the weakness of the black colors. I'm sure it's at least as good as my current monitor in that regard, though.

There's always the comedy super-ultrawide option. I'd honestly do it if there was a >0% chance games would ever properly support it. I do really enjoy the 21:9 monitors, though, and I am glad to see there are starting to be more options.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And I never want to give up my ultrawide. Hell, if I thought games were going to support it I would get one of those Samsung super ultrawides. I just can't go back to two or three monitors with bezels. With two, they are too offset if you have one monitor in the middle and one to the side. Or, a bezel in the middle if you're a monster. Three monitors is just excessive for home use.

I love being able to go between a very immersive screen for gaming and then to being able to snap a window on each side for productivity.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The 38GN950 is probably a safer bet now unless you're OK with fan noise.

The difference between the 38GL and 38GN:

38GL950G
- native G-Sync (module with small fans)

38GN950
- G-sync compatible (just as good as native G-sync on this model AFAIK)
- HDR600 with backlight dimming (not much of an improvement over the HDR400)

The 38GL also seems to have firmware issues with deep sleep due to the G-sync module.

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. The 38GL950G was more than I wanted to spend, but with better HDR and no fan, I think I can justify the 38GN950. Had no idea it existed, even if it doesn't seem like you can buy it in the US yet.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think this can happen when the framerate doubling kicks in. It’s not quiiiite the exact same brightness at 120 Hz as it is at 60 Hz, so when it goes off the bottom end and kicks in doubling it gets darker for an instant.

38GN950 has a slower max refresh rate, it only goes up to 160 Hz, the GSync version goes up to 175 Hz.

It’s like $200 cheaper but it’s also a worse panel.

It's a worse panel in which ways? Reviews seem to be happy with the quality. Just the difference between refresh rates?

[Edit: Actually, looks like it's on sale for $200 off on Costco's site until 9/22. Comes out to $1,400. That's pretty nice. Might need to get a Costco card just for that.]
[Edit2: vvv Thank you! vvv]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 9, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welp, I ordered the 38GN950 from Costco. Wish me luck.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Numinous posted:

Public Service Announcement. This is the last day of the CostCo sale for the LG 38GN950-B:

https://www.costco.com/lg-ultragear-38%22-class-ultrawide-wqhd-curved-ips-g-sync-compatible-gaming-monitor.product.100671950.html

I ordered mine on Sunday and it shipped Monday

Received mine on Friday and it has been great so far. Current video card can't really do it justice, but otherwise I've been pretty happy. Only complaints so far is I haven't found a way to turn the fancy light on the back off for good, and when I turn the refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel to 120 hz text in some places in Windows starts to look weird. Doesn't happen in games at higher refresh. Very much seems like a Windows thing. [edit: I should say that this happens in two different monitors, since the wife got one as well and we both see the issue. Almost certainly a weird Windows thing. Monitor is fine.]

good at 75 hz

bad at 120 hz

good at 75 hz

bad at 120 hz

Happens when using the included DisplayPort cable as well. 980ti on the latest driver.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 22, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inept posted:

How does it look at 144hz? Also, not sure if it matters, but have you tried changing the refresh rate from the Windows menu instead of the NVidia one?

Thanks for the attempt at troubleshooting. It still does the same thing when changed in Windows. 144hz doesn't show as an option, only 120hz. Monitor driver is still "generic monitor driver" in Windows, but I don't think that needs to be anything different. Couldn't find specific monitor drivers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

are your video card drivers up to date?

Yes, running 456.38 with release date 9/17/2020, on both computers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zarin posted:

Note that I'm a gigantic dumbass so these are probably dumb questions:
1). Is it possible that the 980Ti can't shove out enough data to run the 120hz cleanly (and/or make it fully to 144?)
2). Is it possible the cable isn't good enough? (I want to say I remember a long time ago in this thread, people were saying that the 120hz Alienware monitor came with a cable that was kinda iffy and didn't have the bandwidth to carry the full 120hz signal)

Just thinking out loud here, since I was passing thru

No worries at all, thanks for chiming in!

1) Maybe? I don't think so, as it works fine in games.
2) I don't think so. I tried the cable that came with the monitor as well.

Figured I'd ask just in case it was something easy. I'll do some researching and troubleshooting and report back! Thanks everyone!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

K8.0 posted:

This is because the 980Ti only does DP 1.2. I'm fairly certain you're dropping from RGB to 4:2:2 color encoding when you select that res/refresh rate combo, which makes anything with fine detail look like rear end. It's also why you can't see higher refresh options. Also why you can't enable gsync.

Awesome, thank you for this. The 980Ti will only be in the picture until we can get our hands on 3080s. Thanks a lot. Was having trouble finding evidence of a similar problem reported by folks.

[edit: looks like there's a firmware update that may help - https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4674/~/graphics-firmware-update-for-displayport-1.3-and-1.4-displays ]
[edit2: updating the firmware and then trying the cable that came with the monitor did not fix it. I might try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers now that the firmware has been updated.]
[edit3: nope, no luck. Going to stop worrying about it until we get the 3080s. Thanks for the suggestion though!]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 23, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Knot My President! posted:

Do the 38" ultrawides have issues with the ergotron-style monitor arms? They are rated to 25lbs but I'm not sure if the arms are at or beyond their limits with these behemoths

I don't know what qualifies as ergotron-style but I have an arm that is tension-based and has about that rating and it is working well on my 38"ultrawide.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't forget the lg 38gn950-b! Which seems almost impossible to find, but I was able to get from Costco for 200 off.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

queef anxiety posted:

How're you finding it? I've been eyeing one for a while but the price and extra width are a worry.

I really love it so far but I only have a 980ti, so I haven't put it through its paces. I really love ultrawides and the extra pixels from 3440x1440 are really nice when working. My only real complaint so far is that you can't shut off the rear LED ring from the monitor, has to be done in software and it's a bit awkward.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I keep my 38 inch ultrawide about arms reach for me. If you don't use a monitor arm that's easily adjustable, I highly recommend it. It lets you adjust it as you adjust your seating or stand-up desk. I'll say it is probably one of the best additions to my set up. Being able to easily move the monitor into the proper position is just perfect. Depending on what I'm doing, exactly what type of game I'm playing, having the monitor in the correct position is just the best.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

I used to have 32" at an arm's length because of small table and it was ridiculous. Especially things in corners were annoying to see and read. I can't imagine 38" at that distance. I guess ultrawide makes it a tiny bit better by not being so tall?

Yeah, for sure the ultrawide ratio helps. Maybe my arms are also a little longer? :)

Over-thinking it a bit, I also use Windows PowerToys FancyZones to create a center zone that I snap most "just browsing" stuff to. If I'm working, then my screens are split and it's no different than having two monitors, just minus the bezel. If I'm playing games, the extra width is really immersive and I don't notice a problem looking at the UI elements on the side.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not an exact answer to your question, but if you're using Windows check out PowerToys FancyZones. It lets you create custom zones you can "snap to" in Windows. I use it to snap my browser windows on my ultrawide to a center column when just messing around.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is there a thread recommended monitor for "moderately priced, 24 inch, 60hz is fine, adjustable stand would be nice" monitor? For a younger teenage nephew and anything will be better than nothing, so I don't need to go to crazy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's kinda what I expected. Mostly commodity at this point.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

My dad has an old and small 1080p monitor. I'm looking to replace it for him.

All he does is basic PC usage, browsing the internet, listening to music, using Microsoft Office.

Is there a decent 1080p monitor the thread would recommend?

I asked a somewhat similar question earlier and at this point it sounds like they are a commodity. I would say go for 24 inch, any smaller isn't much cheaper, and get something that's easily adjustable or an easily adjustable VESA arm.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

That’s my main problem with my ultra wide, I’m a all full screen all the time guy. I like apps open taking up the whole screen. Trying to stack windows is making me rewrite my brain.

Have you only ever used one monitor? If not, then the only difference is how you make those windows "full screen."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

G-Sync is good, it just uses more hardware to do it's thing than a G-Sync compatible or FreeSync display. For example, a bunch of G-Sync monitors had fans in them because they needed active cooling.

I thought someone had a post about G-Sync compatible monitors, but maybe it was in the GPU thread because I am having trouble finding it. Basically, even if something is G-Sync compatible certified from NVIDIA, you should still look for reviews on how well it works. It's not a given, but it can be a very attractive alternative to proper G-Sync. To the point where proper G-Sync is probably going away over time.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 30, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I ordered a couple of these and they have been working well on two 3840x1600 160hz displays.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L3CLKR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

K8.0 posted:

It's aids and there is no good solution.

Please find another way to say this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Looks like nuWindows windows aren't affected by ClearType settings either (I know the tuner is working, because with file explorer the difference is stark).

What graphics card are you using? I saw something similar with my 980 Ti and a new monitor with high refresh rate which my older card couldn't handle due to an older version of DisplayPort. I updated the carsc firmware that supposedly added support for newer DisplayPort, but that didn't fix the problem. If you check my posts in this thread you should see it. So yeah, I'd check that, try a lower refresh rate, or possibly try new cables. Just a thought.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh can I? Tell me more. What's that? Oh you're wrong and that doesn't exist. Weird. Why would you even bother buying a new monitor if you enjoy things looking bad?

Wait wait wait maybe you're suggesting I take off the filter with damp paper towels, that always looked like a super easy and convenient thing to do with no risks at all. You're on the wrong side of history just accept it.

the wrong side of history?

lmao, maybe we could dial it back 20%

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello Monitor thread. I somehow ended up with a new monitor despite not having this thread bookmarked. My wife and I got 49" Odyssey G9 OLEDs. Gorgeous monitor, taking a little bit of getting used to for sure. Now the problem is that our previous docking stations / port replicators we used for our work machines can't do 5120x1440. Our Windows gaming machines are hooked up directly via DisplayPort, no problems there.

I've done some looking at this doesn't seem like it will be an easy problem to solve. Not the end of the world for my Windows laptop, as I can just plug in the HDMI cable directly and then use Thunderbolt for charging/USB from my USB port switcher. My wife's situation is a little different as she has a 13 inch 2020 M1 Macbook Pro, which only has two thunderbolt ports. One for power and one for the USB port switcher. No ability to hook up display directly.

Anyone know of any docking stations / port replicators that would fit the bill and do 5120x1440? Doesn't have to be super high refresh rate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really liked my 38'' 3840x1600 LG, it did ~140hz. But when I was looking to upgrade, there's not much with that size or resolution. I made the jump to 32x9 with the Samsung G9 OLED. Form factor has taken some getting used to and it's got me itching to upgrade my 3090.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

The money being infinite was a supposition so I could gain understanding on why I was being told to get a different type of RAM. Money is not actually no object; I'm going to feel the costs of this build. But I also expect it to last the decade-plus (I think much longer for this monitor, honestly) that my last computer did, and I'm willing to pay a little more once to get quality rather than a lot more over time because I have to keep replacing junk.

Monitors and computers do not keep their value for a decade plus. You'll almost always be better served by spending less and upgrading sooner. Trying to buy something that will last you that long, there's not really any advice that will help you achieve that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just know that that's a lot of pixels and you may be pushing your 3070 Ti pretty hard. If you play graphically intense games with the bells and whistles on, don't be surprised if you get the itch to upgrade your GPU. If you have a 1080p monitor now, you're going from ~2m pixels to ~7.4m pixels.