Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

shrughes posted:

There are those budget Korean 27" monitors which have an IPS panel, same resolution as a u2711, and cost in the $300-$450 range. They might have weak dead pixel guarantees, limited inputs, or be missing features such as scaling lower resolutions, see upthread and around the general internet for more information. I suppose it depends on your definition of "high quality".

Here's one of em: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKAS...=item3cc50a657c

Some sellers offer a no dead pixels guarantee, look for "pixel perfect" in the title.

If only I hadn't bought a 27" monitor a few months ago, I'd be all over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nex posted:

Very interesting, under half price too.. :) How is yours for FPS-gaming, as in Battlefield 3?

I got a 27" screen with a 1080p resolution and I have no problems with it, especially in games. Obviously, the higher the resolution the better but it's certainly not unusable, then again, I'm not that much of an enthusiast like a lot of the people in this thread.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
From the spec list it seems like your run of the mill LCD monitor, going by the response time it'll be fine for gaming but don't expect anything great in terms of picture quality. Also, while it's certainly big it still has the regular 1080p resolution, so you may not get that much more screen real estate depending on what you have now.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

echobucket posted:

It's something like 81ppi. This is pretty much the opposite of a retina display. It's an unretina display! :hurr:

No need to tell me, I got a monitor like that. Honestly tho, it's really not a problem when browsing or doing stuff with lots of text and it's certainly not a problem when gaming.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ijyt posted:

:doh:

The issue with that though is RMA shipping costs and my general dislike of imports, as asinine as that may be. The price can't be argued with though, but I'm still dubious of the overall build quality.

I'm not sure what RMA means but they ship for free everywhere, not just the US. I've looked into this a little bit and it seems all you have to pay are customs fees, at least here in mainland europe.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Space Gopher posted:

Do you happen to use f.lux?

Don't know about him but I do and I have the same problem. I'm guessing f.lux just overwrites the win7 calibration automatically or something?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Space Gopher posted:

Basically, yes. f.lux and calibration work against each other. The point of f.lux is to change your color temperature throughout the day, to approximate ambient light. The point of calibration is to keep colors consistent and predictable. You'll need to pick one or the other. f.lux has a temporary disable function, but if it's active then you're not calibrated more or less by definition.

Yea I figured as much, guess the only way around it is to do some hardware calibration, that should give you some decent "standard" settings for during the day when f.lux is inactive.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I realize it's always active but I never really noticed it doing much during the day, it's only when the sun goes down that the colors get warmer. Does it actually go the opposite way during the day, ie make the colors cooler than they'd normally be? I always thought during the day was no change to what the colors would be without f.lux.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
poo poo man that's rough, hope things work out for ya.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I checked out one of these listings today and the seller I looked at, green-sum, claimed to be some kind of official distributor of yamakasi, which made me wonder, are those korean IPS screens actually for sale in korea? Like, can you buy them in the big electronics stores next to Samsung, LG, BenQ etc. displays?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Cygni posted:

Came home today and turned my Shimian on... no picture. :stonk: Swapped cables, swapped computers, nothing. Resigned myself to a life time of regrets. Then tried the on screen controls just to see if I could snap it back to life (have a higher end model with the scaler and OSD) and somehow the contrast had been zeroed out? I certainly didn't do it. Turned it back up, good as new.

Just a future note for anyone who might come across the same problem.

Do you happen to have a fan on your desk? Some korean electronics are very sensitive to the negative air pressure a fan generates, especially when you leave it running overnight, it can do serious harm to your device.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

wooger posted:

I'm not a big fan of the look of this or the PC Bank, just because of the curve on the lower bezel. I already have a VESA mount I can use, so I'm porbably going to try to order a shimian perfect pixel model soon.

You seen this? It's a bit cheaper than the shimian, I think, and not as ugly as the PCBANK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...=item20c626dcfb

EDIT: son of a bitch

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

VorpalFish posted:

That catleap looks absurdly tempting. Quickly, someone talk me out of buying one and then having to upgrade my video card to drive that stupid high resolution.

You can find a Potalion for a couple bucks less, assuming you're talking about a catleap with the perfect pixel guarantee:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...=item20c626dcfb

So there, that's my reason for you not to get a catleap.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there any reviews of the Potalions and Catleaps (what strange names) showing numbers for color accuracy and viewing angle?

Not really, the closest you get to a professional review is a short-ish look that ananadtech took at the shimian here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5885/the-achieva-shimian-qh270-a-350-27inch-wqhd-sips-display

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Shaocaholica posted:

So the CatLeap/PotatoLion use the same panel s the shimian?

e: oh apparently its the same panel as the current gen Apple Cinema 27"

Oh yea, forgot to mention but catleap, potalion, pcbank, achieva, crossover, basically any 27" monitor with 2560x1440 resolution and a ebay description thats not quite proper english uses that same high quality LG panel.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Space Gopher posted:

even the "perfect pixel guarantee" usually allows for a handful scattered across the screen

Where are you getting this from? I was under the impression that a no dead pixel guarantee means, well, just what it says. Stuck pixels is a whole nother issue of course.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

berzerker posted:

Update for anyone interested in getting a Catleap Q270 through green_sum: Received it yesterday and it's beautiful with no pixel problems at all that I've seen so far. Keep in mind that's without the extra $70 for pixel perfect.

Is there a consensus on whether or not pixel perfect is worth it? I wouldn't mind a dead pixel or two on the edges of the screen but something like 10+ stuck/dead pixels I don't think I could be happy with.

I know those are stuck, not dead but I figure with the perfect pixel guarantee you'd at least have a good chance of not getting a crazy amount of stuck pixels like that. Is that just wishful thinking? Are certain sellers recommended wrt this issue?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There's some korean monitors with 2560x1440 resolution that can do it:

http://120hz.net/content.php?119-Yamakasi-Catleap-Q270-Sale-Information!

They're kinda tricky to get a hold of tho, since they're pretty spare, and expensive.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Pretty certain that sellers specifically mention it if it's a tempered glass model, since they're more expensive and have their own specific issues (dust under the glass).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ColHannibal posted:

Ive got a 1080p Samsung with 120hz. I have most my stuff limited to 120fps, wouldn't I see a problem when dropping to 60hz as I max out that 120 on some things?

I'm not exactly sure what your question is? Are you asking if 60 fps, which is what you'd be limited to at 60hz, looks noticeably worse than 120 fps? If so, the answer is no, once you're past a certain point you get diminishing returns when it comes to fps gains.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I got my korean monitor today, a Potalion with the Pixel Perfect option. I already had a 27" screen so the size isn't much of a wow-factor for me, the colors definitely are though, this thing looks absolutely amazing. There are no dead or stuck pixels that I've found and even the backlight is nice and even, minimal bleed in the very bottom corners of the screen, gaming works fine as well (played racing games and FPSs). I'd recommend one of these things to just about anybody.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
A while ago I bought one of the korean IPS monitors, now I'm struggling to play games on my TV because the picture on the monitor looks so much better, the colors on the monitor are just much richer and more vibrant. Is that normal? Are those monitors just better than your average (also IPS) television? The TV I have is this one: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LN5700-led-tv which, as I've read, has an IPS panel even if it's not advertised as such.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Biggest human being Ever posted:

A while ago I bought one of the korean IPS monitors, now I'm struggling to play games on my TV because the picture on the monitor looks so much better, the colors on the monitor are just much richer and more vibrant. Is that normal? Are those monitors just better than your average (also IPS) television? The TV I have is this one: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LN5700-led-tv which, as I've read, has an IPS panel even if it's not advertised as such.

I found out what the problem was, the korean monitors apparently do limited RGB or 16-235 by default, I set my TV to the same, messed with the settings a bunch and the picture is now pretty drat close, much better than before. If you feel like your picture is washed out, check the color range!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm toying with the idea of getting a three monitor setup in portrait mode, like this:

Does anyone here have experience with something like this? Do games need to support 3 monitors individually or is this handled by the gpu driver? I'm on Nvidia if it matters.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are Korean monitors as a great a value option as they were a few years ago? It seems the selection has greatly expanded since I got my 27" IPS one but the displays don't seem to offer as big a price difference compared to local models as they used to.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Paul MaudDib posted:

The very low-end panels ($200) are still great value, but you typically only get a PWM backlight and native DVI support is getting rarer and rarer as everything moves to DisplayPort and HDMI. You get like one native DVI port per card now.

There are higher-end panels with DP or HDMI support and FreeSync, but then you're talking $300 or $400 and at that point you can just get an XF270HU from Microcenter and call it a day. They also have some nifty curved panels but they have the same problem, you are spending $750 and getting a tinkerer's special.

That's sort of the problem nowadays - you have to settle for very minimal feature sets with lots of compromises, or be willing to pay practically the same thing as the name-brands charge for a kinda crappy and slapped-together product. And the Korean monitors still de-facto lack a warranty (getting it serviced or returning it would involve you paying to ship it back to Korea), so at that point you should definitely just pony up the extra 10-20% and get the name brand that you can return if something goes horribly wrong.

Looks like my next monitor won't come from ebay then, thanks for the explanation.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Wait, there is a benefit to 60+ hz refresh rates even when you're not much of a gamer? How noticeable is a higher refresh rate when you're just doing web browsing/media stuff?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've been toying with the idea of getting this Acer ET430k and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-ET430K-LED-LCD-Monitor/dp/B072BL5QK4

Not doing a whole lot of gaming, mostly just browsing the web and watching videos.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

scrubs season six posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the best 43" 4k monitor/TV for gaming right now?

Seems like everyone was going curved 49" KS8500s which no longer exist and it seems like 49" would be too big without the curve.

For TVs it seems like the XBR43X800E is the top choice right now but was wondering if there's something better out there now or on the horizon.

I know the 43" Dell is out there but not sure it has any real advantages and you're probably paying for the multi-display ability that I don't care about.

Acer? LG? One of those Korean jobs? Seems like the Acer might be worth a shot at only $599 and if I don't like it maybe there will be something more up my alley coming out next year.

I don't believe there is a standout great option at the 40+ inch range, that being said, if you can live with some image retention and non ROG level response times, the Acer ET430k is a solid choice it seems:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-ET430K-LED-LCD-Monitor/dp/B072BL5QK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504099154&sr=8-1

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is anyone familiar with the HP Omen 32?

https://www.amazon.com/OMEN-HP-32-inch-QHD-Display/dp/B01J90PKPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504242600&sr=8-1

It's on sale right now for 241 Euros, which makes it one of the cheapest non-TN 1440p monitors out there. I do understand it has issues with NVIDIA cards tho, which makes me a lil uncertain as I have a GTX 670.

I mainly use my PC for web browsing and video content but I do a bit of gaming as well, so I wouldn’t want to be totally screwed there.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What kinda seating distance would you guys recommend for a 32" 1440p screen?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've got an aging Korean 1440p IPS monitor that only supports Dual Link DVI. Can I expect a HDMI to Dual Link DVI cable to work with it or does it need to be DVI on both ends?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

BurritoJustice posted:

HDMI cannot do dual-link, ever. They will have all the right pins for dual link DVI but it is impossible for HDMI to convert passively to dual link, and I don't believe active adaptors exist. The best you can do is a DisplayPort to dual-link DVI active adaptor, but even then you won't be able to do >60Hz 1440p if you were overclocking previously. There is no real replacement for a native dual-link DVI connection for the korean monitors.

That's a bummer, thanks for the info.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does a high refresh rate monitor make a noticeable difference when browsing the web? I recently got a phone with a 90hz screen and all the animations look so much smoother than on my old phone, I'm wondering if a high refresh rate monitor would be worth it even if I don't play many games on PC.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone here happen to have a Dell S3220DGF:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3220dgf

I put an order in for one but I'm seeing some reports of flickering when using freesync with an Nvidia GPU, wondering how widespread that issue is.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That's a shame, are there alternatives that are 32 inch and at least 144hz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Ihmemies posted:

The flickering may be possible to fix with some VRR range and Hz fuckery in Custom Resolution Utility. I sadly have no idea what should I do. I just use the monitor with vsync on. Earlier I used a 60Hz monitor with vsync on so these 105 extra Hz help :v:

Image quality is nice for the price. Viewing angles are good, backlight is even, no dead pixels. Response time at 165Hz is tolerable.

I did find this guide, perhaps it will be of some help to you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/df3zdy/just_received_the_dell_s3220dgf_32_1440p_va_165hz/f4rhk8d/