Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Here's some Drakens taxiing by some guy's backyard and other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiwLxnUaeY8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Eh. I can personally testify that Finnish Army mech infantry does not care about height when cramming warm bodies into BMP's and the old Leopard 2a4 emergency reserve T72's did not have any height guidelines in use, either.

They told to get our platoons into those BMPs and we had some tall machinegunners with full protective vests, spare ammo and a goddamn PKM.

...in NBC gear.

This was three years ago.

I can honestly swear that back in the day when russian riflemen were loaded onto those AFV's, no one gave two shits about how tall or short you were.

CV90 supremacy. :smuggo:

Although the BMP has the advantage that the infantry will charge anything after being released so they don't have to go back into the box.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Wait, no Shornets?

I don't know what his source is, but the Hornets won't be retired according to current plans until 2025. The final decision will be made in the early twenties, so it'll be a while before an official candidate list comes out. Barring a major foreign policy realignment, any Russian birds won't be on it.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

- excellent flight characteristics, allowing the pilot to decide when and when not to engage
- LO and powerful radar combined lead to usually being the first to shoot
- datalinks to other fighters mean good situational awareness
- reliable BWR and WVR weaponry

Is this a decent general understanding of what makes the Raptor (or hypothetical aircraft like it) a good modern air dominance fighter? Not getting into the bigger picture of air combat like AWACS support, sortie rate and what have you.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Finnish air force aerobatics team.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It's lovely but it's not the worst thing you can do

for example you could overdose and cook to death in a car

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I don't think any, or at least a major number, of the Tomahawks were shot down. If you look at the struck airbase on a map, it's close to the Lebanese border and far away from the airbase where the Russians have their major presence. Given that the Syrian air defences don't exactly blanket the whole country either, I'd imagine it'd have been trivial to route the missiles away from any threats.

Here's an imgur album of images taken by ImageSat International. They count 44 targets, of which 15 are double aircraft shelters, so that's 59. They didn't upload all of the closeup comparion images, but there are other sources that show completely unharmed shelters and aircraft. I'd say most likely it was about 90 % hits and the Russians getting their disinformation in early because it's easy and free.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

https://www.google.fi/maps/@60.156179,24.9209476,62m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=fi

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Mazz posted:

Highly depends on the vehicle and armor package, including the the T-55 itself. A basic T-55 though is just 100mm of hardened steel on the front, 200 around the turret, and 50-60mm on the side. The APDS of modern 30mm cannons can get through the sides. Any AT weapon from like 1965 forward can deal with a T-55 with a good hit.

Here's some 30 mm holes in a T-55 turret where the armor is I believe 130 - 160 mm thick. It takes a good angle of impact, though.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Why does russian use bad tactics with poor quality troops? I can’t imagine it’d be much harder to get decent PMCs and not have the human wave tactic as the first one?

If that is the whole truth, building up a cohesive force that can employ good tactics takes time and money. If you got more recruits than you know what to do with, why not just bodies at it if it's enough to accomplish your goals? I mean, besides humane values and poo poo, but the Hitler-worshipping merc commander probably doesn't have a problem with those.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

If you're referring to the Syrian incident, those guys got hosed up by airpower which is what happens to every force caught in the open without air cover.

We're going off a single source here so it's not like any of us *know* anything but from that article:

quote:

“What are we doing there? We go as the first wave. We direct the aircraft and artillery, push back the enemy. After us merrily go the Syrian special forces, and then Vesti-24 [a Russian state TV station] together with other Russian state television crews with cameras at the ready to interview them.”

Not really human wave, hard infantry combat with lots of casualties sure. I don't claim any great insight into what actually happens when thse guys fight, just that it makes sense for a merc group operating like this not to invest too much into their basic trigger pullers.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Just train your guys to aim for the nuts.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

all is fair in love and in war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Xerxes17 posted:

I notice that some are wearing a big-rear end mitten on their left hand, is this for winter protection?

For the LMG gunners it's probably a heat-resistant glove that's part of their kit, for barrel swapping.

For others, it's probably because the handguard on the original model of the RK 62 rifle doesn't wrap around the gastube for some big brained reason,
so handling it with bare hands is really annoying.