Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Memento1979 posted:

Expect this to warm up more and more as the Arctic ice cap gets less and less. That area has been subject to amazing amounts of geological scrutiny in the past 3-4 years as Russia comes to realise that with around 4000km of passive margin that has previously been covered in ice on their northern shore, they want to get the data, get drills in place and make the best claim they can to the hydrocarbon resources that are almost certainly there, that Sweden, Norway, Denmark (through Greenland) and Canada will all want as well.

Sweden hasn't had territorial waters in the Arctic since 1905.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Psion posted:

Take a trip on down to Ukraine and go to Pripyat. Don't wear your favorite shoes.

I was working for a nuclear power plant last year and took a trip to Chernobyl. Both my shoes and clothing checked out when I took them to work to get swabbed, and I'd been wandering around all over the place.

However, there is a lot of broken glass. At least take shoes that are good for that.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

LingcodKilla posted:

I think the BJ Clinton would be a great name for a Submarine.

Or an aircraft carrier exclusively staffed by F-35's and A-7's.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The first C-5 I saw was after getting diverted to Steward ANGB from Newark Int'l after five landing attempts that had my neighbors thinking that they were going to die.

We went to get refueled, and it was all: C-5, C-5, C-5, SAS A330, C-5

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's always fun to see the scale of the Iranian centrifuges against, say, American ones.

vs

That's because everybody (Americans included) now think that centrifuges that long are nuts.

EDIT: Americans got into some really long centrifuges back in the day, because of the higher efficiency of each enrichment stage. However, since centrifuges are AFAIK all vertical, that means higher and higher bottom bearing loads as a trade-off. This leads to higher maintenance, stricter monitoring, and more outages.

Groda fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 23, 2013

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

grover posted:

They don't have to be vertical, as the pull of gravity is inconsequential at the speed they're spinning, but turns out combining vertical orientation with asymmetrical heating creates convection currents that dramatically increases centrifuge efficiency.

Surprisingly, you can read all about it online.

Why wouldn't a convection current be just as inconsequential as gravity at the RPM's they're operated at?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Godholio posted:

Yeah that's probably max resolution. If you want it bigger, scale it up.

A-10 Attack! went up to 1152 x 864, but most people were playing at 640 x 480.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

e: the problem was that instead of using it for intercepts, they did it by first trying to land tailhook-equipped jets on air mattresses (with predictable results, obviously) then devised a plan that involved trucking nuclear bombers around the country side.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Koesj posted:

Unfortunately it'll only get mentioned exactly once per year.

They do decent battlefield tours here in Groningen about the Canadian 2nd Infantry though.

Are those bullet holes on the base of the Martinitoren?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I've been wondering for like 20 years about this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyj_YNZEGkg

What is the Ghost doing here with the engine?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

grover posted:

Cleaning the oil-water separator glass to inspect fuel flow, it looks like. Or do you mean the other guy? I don't know who ghost is.

Here's a better look at the engine of another Type VII U-Boat:

The Ghost is the character making flames shoot out of the engine. Is that what you were referring to?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Snowdens Secret posted:

(This also puts the lie to the idea they were ever enriching uranium for civilian powergen purposes, if they couldn't or wouldn't keep fossil-fuel-fired steam turbines up they certainly wouldn't be able to do so with nukes.)

Steam turbines for PWRs like Bushehr NPP are considerably less challenging to design and manufacture than steam turbines for modern (i.e. post-WWII) fossil fuel-fired plants.

Groda fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 28, 2013

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm genuinely curious how but I imagine the details are beyond the scope of this thread

The big difference is the low inlet steam pressure, ca 70 bar(abs) instead of +140 bar. Also, almost no (relatively speaking) superheating of the steam (heating the steam to a temperature above the boiling point of the current pressure). This means smaller temperature transients between shutdown and operation. The lower temperatures and temperature changes makes design easier from material standpoint. Lubrication, sealing, bearing design also benefit.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Plus I was really into aerospace as a kid and thought it puzzling to say the least how the same people who were hucking V2s at London were also the heroes who put the US on the moon.

Not news to you, but still...
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ube.9LLPXyShnPY

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
oh god just look at it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ryan_%28Tom_Clancy_character%29

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
What is happening in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7cf-Q9nI8&t=48m45s

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Agean90 posted:

To be fair, Peck is better at being MacArthur than MacArthur.

He's no Laurence Olivier...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
No, you're thinking of not being able to lick your elbow.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seriously, we settled this poo poo with the Volksdeutsche back in the 30s.

I think you mean 1946.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, the Volksdeutsche got rounded up in '46, but the whole staging of "interventions" to "help ethnic brothers" got pretty well discredited as legitimate foreign policy in the 30s.

"Legitimate" is a perfectly ridiculous term here.

COUNTERARGUEMENT EDIT: The freely elected national government of Ukraine was overthrown by a Ukranian nationalist direct action in the primarily ethinically Ukrainian capital. There is no legitimate national government.

Groda fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 17, 2014

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
"Legitimate foreign policy" is foreign policy which is either backed up by God himself or superior fire power.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

holocaust bloopers posted:

Those guys were legit doing their aircraft mission, though. The Russians with respect to the Alaska guys were just doing Cold War party games.

cite?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Memento posted:

Where on this spectrum does BBRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP fall?

:cumpolice:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

bewbies posted:

It just got a whole lot worse now that our entire stockpile of MRLs is useless (this is a good thing, but it still sucks).

:wouldyouliketoknowmore:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

All that's left is the FBI agents.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

spankmeister posted:

I really like that the nomenclature "pile" which is synonymous with reactor (not so much nowadays) was because it was a literal pile of nuclear material and graphite.

That is cool as heck.

District heating is a very good application for nuclear reactors IMHO. I think they did it in Russia as well.
Do you know what reactor type it was? (BWR or PWR or something else)
Bilibino NPP (RBMK-derived) does district heating, and Leningrad II NPP (PWR) is planned to, too.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

PWR with heavy water as the moderator. The fuel was unenriched uranium oxide, which theoretically could be mined domestically. In the late 50's/early 60's the nuclear hype was fairly big in Sweden too and the idea was that we should become energy independent by building lots of nuclear reactors that could use our own uranium. There was a rather serious nuclear weapons program too but the entire thing was cancelled in the late 60's for political reasons and while the reactor intended to produce weapons grade plutonium was completed, it was never loaded and started.

You're probably refering to Marviken (R4) here, but it was a legitimate reactor design which was planned to be a pre-pilot plant of a domestically designed nuclear fuel cycle (mine -> plant -> reprocessing) without enrichment facilities or imports for commercial power production. The intention to build pure plutonium producing plants had been nixed (public source, holocaust bloopers has made enough opsec violations for this thread) in the 1950's.

Ågesta (R3), on the other hand, did absolutely produce weapons grade plutonium (public source), though not much. It was sent back to the US a couple of years ago.

quote:

The reactor vessel still exists today and has apparently been used for various failure simulations.

Ågesta (R3) wasn't the one used for testing containment behavior after a loss of coolant accident. That was Marviken (R4). It is an incredibly well-studied experiment that was basically "hey watch this." (NRC stuff) It's pretty much the only full-size containment experiment we have to validate computer models with (other than Fukushima :haw:).

EDIT: Also, Ågesta is awesome, and I wish they had public tours. All the equipment has the same enamel colour scheme as a 1960's kitchen.

Groda fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 2, 2014

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Smiling Jack posted:

The charlatans behind those heartbeat sensor dowsing rods are responsible for a staggering number of deaths. They sold the same "technology" as bomb detectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651

hahaha of course it was englishmen

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Isn't Eritrea the one that "taxes" a percentage of all their ex-pats income to go directly to the dictator on the assumption that bad things will happen to their families back home if they don't pay?

No, that's the US.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
show me the inside of an e-3 radar drat you all

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll check that out, thanks for the tip.

I'm going to be super vague now:
If you're hunting for stuff about Cuba's involvement in Angola and happen to find an long, fascinating interview with a Cuban officer who was stationed there and among other things described how being sent to Angola was used as punishment for poor performance, do tell. I mentioned it to a colleague of mine and can't find it since my hd crash.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
This isn't some sort of third-handed retelling of all those plant seeds people irradiated to produce a variety of random-rear end mutations, one of which was improved growth etc.?

The amount of radiation at Hiroshima is consistently overestimated in the public mind. The physics package was quite small (64 kg) compared to utility contexts, and the burn-up was something like 1/4 of what fuel in a nuke plant achieves (despite containing a ~100x high concentration of 235U).

EDIT: Checked over my figures, and Little Man looked to have reached ~12 MWd/kg U. By comparison, fuel that leaves our reactors is in the 40-60 MWd/kg U range. The point I forgot to make was, the fallout is two things: The fission products (MUST come from a split nucleus) or activation products (nuclei which captured a neutron during the blast). The efficiency was quite low (~15% if you assume 100% 235U in the physics package), and the initial mass was quite small. Additionally, being an airburst, I wouldn't expect extreme levels of activation products in the surroundings, either.

Groda fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 3, 2014

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Snowdens Secret posted:

Is that not normal? A power plant has both opportunity and motivation to be as extremely efficient as possible with its fuel usage that a weapon design largely doesn't.

Also we're making the mistake of confusing radiation and contamination again; if you wanted to make Ho Chi Minh trail into a no-man's land you'd want to spray contamination everywhere, a completely different effort than directly killing people with small-yield radiative blasts. And plants are rather effective natural contamination filters.

Made an edit--basically saying there wasn't that much contamination to go around. However, the city was burned to gently caress, and, having been to Yellowstone a couple of years after the 1988 fire season, I can tell you that might have something to do with it.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe we should nuke Groda's house and find out!

Only if you try pop rocks and soda first

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Leif. posted:

Norwegian mountain halls sounds like

Or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIYT-MrVaI

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Warbadger posted:

The answer you are looking for is "no". The Peter the Great has been in and out of the Gulf of Mexico in the past couple years and the Russians are currently floating the idea of just basing it out of Venezuela or Cuba.

:ironicat:

You were of course born into it, but have you ever reflected on how hosed up and petty the Cuban Embargo is?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
How did celestial navigation work in the 1950's cruise missiles (e.g. the Snark). I can barely imagine programming such a navigation system with today's computers.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dead Reckoning posted:

Automating the process is not that technically challenging.

Yeah, this is the part I don't get.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I was at Armémuseet, too, a couple weeks ago:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Suddenly feel a hankering for Campbell's beef & noodle soup