Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

I mean yeah you as a tech person realizes this and it's the correct way of thinking about it. The bean counters aren't techies though.

I highly recommend a book called The Real Business Of IT to learn the sales skills necessary to convince the rest of the company that what you do is actually a good investment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's probably plenty of C# jobs around. The way you've got to theorize the hiring process is to think about what you can do at each step that'll make you better than the other candidates. Writing a cover letter, really just a paragraph or two in an email with an attached resume, makes you look like you're interested. It proves that you know how to write, at the very least, and gives you important space to sell your skills. Take care to mention how you conform to their bullet points, then add a little flavor about things you've done or approaches you like to use in designing software. At most places, nobody will really read your resume, so use the cover letter to do the important stuff like list your phone number and explicitly tell them to call you.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BirdOfPlay posted:

what's the best way to handle not having a degree, in terms of a cover letter?

If you have more than a couple years of experience, nobody will even ask about a degree. Nobody ever asks me about my bachelor's degree in CS or my very good SAT score, much to my annoyance. On the other hand, they also don't ask about my very bad GPA...
About half of the programmers I've worked with don't have a bachelor's degree. Half of the ones that do have degrees don't have one in CS.

That said, I live in the south and all the work here is easy boring stuff. People do interesting stuff in other parts of the US, right? Or is it just higher-paid boring stuff?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

That reminds me that we got a resume once where the candidate put his SAT score on there and it was ten points higher than mine, instantly annoying me.

Yeah, I always figured listing something I did over a decade ago would both make me look like a jackass and invite other college-related questions that might show me in an unfavorable light.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gounads posted:

need to decide if I want to walk away from the company I co-founded

Just wondering: why would you want to leave? Sounds cool, just based on that one line. Are you co-owner?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay you have my approval

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Total Clown Show

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Most places are loving stupid about how they hire, but the good news is that it at least reflects the fact that they are probably loving stupid about everything else too

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling that Angular/React/Node/Mongo is "sexy" while everything else is old and lame

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As a normal person and not a stereotypical misogynist neckbeard, I don't describe computer things as "sexy"

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just remove your graduation date from your resume. Most likely nobody will ever ask.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

every class needs an interface and 10 line functions are bad for being too wordy

Agreed.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand. How could the presence of an interface make things harder? At worst, it just seems like a file hanging around that you can safely ignore.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How does an interface require maintenance?? If an interface really takes so long to type or requires frequent adjustment down the road, that may be a problem with the software design rather than the practice of programming to interfaces.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Does anyone working in the industry have a non standard shift, such as 10 hour days with 3 days off, or any variation at all from the standard 8-5 M-F? Does such a thing even exist in the realm of CS jobs?

I worked a 4 day/10 hour schedule for a year and a half. Saved me a ton of time driving to the hick town that I worked in, but the quality of dinner suffered as a result of getting home so late. Having Friday off is very nice, though.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pilsner posted:

Or if you're really pro at working, you don't really count hours, you just make a good impression that indicates you're skilled and quick at getting your tasks done, and no one will question your hours. :smug:

Consider it one of the perks of having a skill that no one outside of the field has a clue about, since it's so technical. I've only ever had one boss who could write code himself.

On the other hand, you could be really good at what you do and they still treat you like you're lazy because they can't comprehend what you do or how everything would fall apart if you quit.

And then you quit.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's something like a couple weeks out of one class

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mekkanare posted:

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on how long it takes to find an entry level position...before graduating

This is much harder than finding one after graduating. Don't expect much right now.
Also, don't limit yourself to things marked as entry level. My first programming job required two years experience, but they'll take what they can get.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JawKnee posted:

why would you be stuck? Look for another job, don't let on that you're doing so, when you find one - quit

I've had 3 jobs this year and each one paid a lot more than the one before it. Permanent job search is the pro strategy.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

Seriously? You don't get like...blackballed from the industry for doing that? What do you tell people in interviews about why you were there for such a short time?

Well, I was laid off from one job back in May after being there a year and a half. Worked the next job for 4 months. It was a multi-level marketing cult. The management was totally nuts and the software was a serious mess. Coworkers were stereotypical awful neckbeards, too. Horrible experience. I started the current job 3 weeks ago. I was polite but basically honest about why I was quitting. Just told them the place was technically backward and the open floor plan office was annoying. Now I'm working from home and loving it. That's not to say I love all the software, but I've never worked on a piece of software that I think is actually good. It's not that bad, though, and the compensation is good, and I like the coworkers.

So, yeah, every time you roll the dice you get something different from last time. You also get the chance to negotiate your compensation, which is a huge opportunity.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pilsner posted:

Don't take it literally when people say you should be literally permanently job hunting

Yeah, I was overstating it. That said, I do recommend going out for an interview once per year, even if you're not looking. It keeps you sharp just in case something happens and you need to interview. Who knows, you might even get a really good offer out of it. Good things come to those who go out and get them (sometimes)!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember getting much object oriented design, unit testing, and code hygiene in my CS program. I wish I had read Designing Object Oriented-Software by Rebecca Wirfs-Brock and Clean Code by Robert Martin much earlier in my career.

Are you familiar with version control? Find a useful-looking C# library on Github. See if you can find anything worth improving. Broken or missing unit tests tend to be low hanging fruit. If you get your pull request accepted, you're safely into Real Programming territory. In general, just learn to read other peoples' code, because that's what you'll spend your career doing.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Too many people who want to make a better world end up wasting their lives in pointless and poorly paid nonprofit work, whether or not they work with computers. If you try to make a living out of making the world a better place, you're almost certain to fail at both.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Webdev has plenty of technical headaches, but they're greatly reduced if you're only willing to support Firefox and Chrome. And, of course, the web browser is an extremely convenient way to deliver software to a user. No installation, no upgrades, everyone has the exact same version, and nobody can steal your copyrighted server code. Just charge a little monthly fee and rake in the cash (or at least that's my retirement plan if I ever build something popular).

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't use CodeIgniter. It's a relic from the old way of doing PHP. I hesitate to recommend Laravel because it implies a whole bunch of bad, fake-OOP practices by the static methods it provides, but at least it's possible to build decent software with it. It also helps that everyone else is using it.

Yes, it's good to have stuff on Github. Even if nobody looks at it organically, you've got something available to use as a code sample that also proves you can use version control at least a little.

The lower threshold is "can this guy program at all?" If you can get anything done without making a total mess and have basic social skills, you're a shoo-in for a junior position at most places.

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 9, 2016

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

It's worth noting, since this is the newbie thread and all, that PHP work tends to pay less

Woops, forgot to mention this tidbit about my entire career. It can pay as well as other stuff, but it's hard to sort out real programming jobs among Wordpress-type bullshit

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

z0331 posted:

Thanks for the reply. I've been really hesitant to dive into Laravel because it seems way beyond anything I need to use right now. But I guess now's a good time to try.

Ok, gently caress Laravel. What you need is a router to invoke in your index.php (see Fastroute) and action classes that take in a PSR7 request object and return a PSR7 response object. It's faster, easier, and does less to discourage good OO design. To hell with all off-the-shelf frameworks, at least in PHP world. gently caress ORM, too.

In Python or Java, you need a lot more support for web stuff because (I think) you don't have built-in things like sessions and access to request variables without at least some framework to run the server.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What you're looking for is a Content Management System. You definitely don't want to program your own.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Even in the PHP world, there's much better choices than Wordpress these days. Give Bolt a look. It exposes many concepts in the same way within the GUI, but programming for it makes much more sense. In fact, you probably won't need to write any code besides theme templates and some small config files.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dotcom656 posted:

I still havnt heard back on a date for an on-site. Should I be worried?

Not really. They'd probably hire you, but haven't responded because they're just disorganized. It's a sign to rank this place lower on your list in case of multiple offers. You don't want to work someplace that can't get its poo poo together enough to respond to a simple email.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Basically none of what you may have read about software design will apply because all software in the real world is terrible unless you build it very carefully by yourself in Common Lisp

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
To me, the main value in TDD is laying out a testable design. That's usually one that is built around functions without side effects, where state changes are pushed as far to the edge of the call graph as possible. In a CRUD application, this might mean building near-fully tested code for one page. That'll establish a pattern you can follow to build testable code for the rest of them.

Even if it's not actually under test, the code built on that pattern will be of higher quality. It'll also put you in a position to write regression tests that confirm bug reports down the road. Having formal confirmation of a bug in your code is really useful, and also helps you prevent the re-introduction of the problem down the road.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Probably just sexism if everything else is going well

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why would memcache be used to handle sessions? PHP's default session behavior (with sticky load balancers, if applicable) ought to be fine for pretty much anything.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

I guess what I'm (possibly irrationally) worried about is the interviewer wondering why they let me go, instead of, say, transitioning me back into a general development role.

Me too. "A poor fit" could mean anything. My former boss actually apologized for not being able to explain why he was firing me at 90 days. I told him if he really wanted to help, he should write me a letter of recommendation. Yesterday I received this email:

quote:

To whom it may concern,

In regard to rt4 as a developer. You will find him to be a
thinking man, kind and friendly, with a spectrum of experience across a
variety of technologies. Each of these properties, and others he
possesses, are valuable in a developer. You would do well having rt4
as part of your team.

I was a little surprised he followed through, but I'm even more surprised by how nice it is. If I'm that good, maybe he just shouldn't have fired me!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kibbles n Shits posted:

haven't taken algorithms or data structures yet. Am I being too hard on myself?

Yes! These algorithm questions are actually much tougher to think about than what most programmers do at work on a daily basis.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
loving do it, never waste time sitting in a job you don't want!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sure, but those database interaction issues are about software design, not sorting algorithms

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just had a phone interview with Amazon where I answered a programming problem. It's the first time in about 6 years that anyone's asked me to actually write code during the interview process. The recruiter made a point of telling me that I could answer questions in any language I want as long as it's not pseudo-code. Interview day comes around and my most familiar language was not an option and the collaboration tool doesn't support executing code, only writing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

This is common. Google uses a shared google doc for phone interviews. What was stopping you from using the language you wanted?

It was a programming tool with syntax highlighting for a select list of languages. I wanted to use PHP since it is unfortunately what I have the most experience with, but I went with Javascript instead. It just meant I had to spend more time switching back to the documentation than I would have otherwise.