Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

gucci void main posted:

This seems to be the case. I'm wondering if I should crunch some numbers, send the one guy an email and tell him that I did the math and that I have a pretty firm minimum closer to 70k or so. If it falls through, oh well.

Don't do that. It's not a company's job to care how much your student loans are, or that you want to go back home on the weekend. Offer negotiation isn't a sob story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

Just finished up my programming exercise for the job I'm currently applying to. It went great, I passed first try!

It was about as easy as you would expect. They give me CreditCard and User classes, and I have to write a function that returns the number of expired credit cards the user currently has. Like 3 lines total. Thanks for you help and encouragement Ithaqua!

I'm surprised you didn't give up when you couldn't Google the answer :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

gucci void main posted:

I can dig up information on the owner. He founded and ran a company from 2003-2010 which seems very similar to the one that he co-runs now (2010-present). In fact, upon inspection the former company seems/seemed to run an almost exactly similar SaaS platform to this new subsidiary company. I'm somewhat confused.

I almost want to share some of the information and see what people can dig up on it.

I don't get why you're so fixated on this company :psyduck: It sounds like a terrible boss to work for, the salary is so low it's offensive, and you won't let it go. There are absolutely zero upsides to this job and you still sound like you're going to take it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

gucci void main posted:

Are you questioning whether I think I could find something better in general, or if I took this one and looked to peace out ASAP, or...?

If you bail, they'll probably make you repay anything they gave you for relocation (via a clause in your employment contract).

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I would perceive it as a not a big deal at all.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Implemented data stream and storage functionality in C and Perl in a Unix environment.

How did you do this? List some techniques or some numbers to quantify your accomplishments. All this says is, "Hey I did some poo poo." Sounds impressive but it doesn't really tell me any details.

Maintained and expanded toolsets used for performance testing, as well as for other developers and QA

Great. Give me an outcome? Did your expanded toolset allow those other developers to increase performance by X?

Maintained High Availability synchronization processes.

How?

Wrote new engine in C, replacing older engine written in Scheme.

Broken record here, but what was the benefit of doing so? Real numbers?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The other thing about tiers is if you get someone like me who is from :canada: reviewing your resume, I won't loving know one American school from another, and it won't mean poo poo to me that you went to FancyPants U.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm gonna catch flak for this, but: Objectives suck. Also, your object is a weird mish-mash of an objective and a summary of yourself.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

2banks1swap.avi posted:

:what:

The person who recommended that said specifically that businesses have told her that's what they want - and it's "standard" for "career wings" (UNF's job finding thingy)

I think I'll do both and see which one gets more bites.

School career services offices are often vastly out of touch with reality :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

When doing a resume for an internship should you put what CS classes you have completed/are currently taking?

Personally when I was reviewing resumes for internship spots I never really cared, I was more interested in experience.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Milotic posted:

Courses taken is very handy for me as an interviewer as it gives me a chance to ask you about stuff you should know, rather than having to guess. Nothing worse than seeing a CV with no classes on for someone fresh out of or at uni.

I just make assumptions and then ask you about them during an interview :v:

"You don't know what a linked list is? Okay, let's move on . . ."

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

tk posted:

I would operate under the assumption that they will fire you you if you don't provide them with an official transcript. It's probably part of a standard background check, and they will assume you lied about your qualifications if you don't provide one.

I doubt they'd fire him. He'd probably get some HR nasty-gram about missing paperwork though.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

tk posted:

I can't speak generally, but in my experience it's not unusual.

Not immediately, no, but I've seen it happen before. I can only assume the person in question really was lying about something, because it's not like they just surprise you on the 7th day and walk you out of the building if you haven't done it yet.

Well if you ignore the email, yeah :) I just meant they'd probably give him a chance to correct it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Zhentar posted:

Only if it fits well and you look comfortable in it :v:

Did you accessorize with a trilby or a fedora?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Otto Skorzeny posted:

"Member function" is normal C++ terminology and arguably more correct than "methods"

Probably, but it feels really really nitpicky to hold that against a candidate.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Got any openings for a junior dev? :v:

The MS career search is loving LOADED. Difficult to skim through it all.

If junior means < 1 year out of school, try microsoft.com/university

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I'm a jr newbie greenhorn though. That feels very risky for my position.

I'm still in poor-stage so I'm VERY risk averse. Is this mostly just, well, poor-itis?

Don't even have to say you're waiting to hear back. Just say you want some time to think it over carefully. Anyone who objects to that is someone you don't want to be working for anyways.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Tres Burritos posted:

Plane departs at 6:00AM

:suicide:

Fly out the day before.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Ithaqua posted:

Unpaid internships are basically illegal in the US unless they fit a very specific set of criteria.

An unpaid software internship is more of a myth as far as I know.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

I got offered two of them. Although, I do live in Vancouver, where Hootsuite got in trouble for not paying interns.

With EA, UFG, Capcom Vancouver, plus all the little studios and startups? :psyduck:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

So how bad is it to give up on a coding challenge? I got one commit in before I got super stuck and then turned into a ball of nerves and couldn't think straight anymore. Thankfully it was over email so no one had to see me flip out, haha. I just told him that the problem seemed to be a bit over my current abilities. I know you should normally just do as much as you can but I just couldn't because I'm terrible.

Next time, go over exactly where you're stuck, what solutions you've tried, and what you think might be the right solution and hey let's discuss this.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I've found over the course of my career that while I've rarely if ever said the words
'Big O', there have been plenty of occasions where I've looked at an algorithm and said, "Wow this is going to run slow as poo poo." and then optimized. I agree with the poster who said it teaches you to think about things even if you never actually use it as such.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

Do you understand the point of an interview?

Yes, it's a two-way street. You want to know if I have the skills / qualifications / social capability to work for you, and I want to know if I would want to work for you in terms of culture, technical fit, and other things.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

Are you actually suiting up to defend the "memorized big o" strawman or just an alien learning our concept of "context" in a discussion?

Probably the latter.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

gucci void main posted:

If you feel comfortable enough using a language in the context of solving some modest problems using that language, list it. In most cases, no one cares about the level of experience you have with it as a college grad unless it's the primary language used for a given role (and even then there is often flexibility with this), at which point you should probably understand your level of comfort for applying.

If you feel comfortable answering interview questions based on said languages, put it on. But never call yourself a C++ expert or they'll find like, loving Stroustrup, or his company-equivalent, to test your knowledge.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

Are there recruiters willing to work with out of state applicants with no work experience? Like, could I talk to a recruiter in Cali, and one in Seattle, and one in NYC for example?

Microsoft talks to college interns from all over the world, so yes.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

As a general rule, you are not going to get relocation as a new hire. In desirable locations, many employers will circular-file your resume the moment that you ask for it. Some will circular-file you just for being out of state, on the brazen assumption that a request for relo is right around the corner.

That's . . . not true? Certainly not a general rule anyways.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Cicero posted:

The current guy came from Amazon and took a pay cut to work there. Honestly, I think what they're doing makes perfect business sense. They want someone that has some level of fanatical devotion to Penny Arcade, and they're going to get it.

Also known as the 'video game industry' discount.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sorry Student, but "Founded and run an MLP forum" is not the kind of experience we're looking for in a software engineer :buddy:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Cicero posted:

edit: of course what I really mean is that you're obligated to spy on Amazon for me for my new Googly overlords. Hope you're comfortable with that.

Can't you assholes do that yourselves ;)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Skuto posted:

The HELL NO or OMG YES candidates are always easy, but judging the in-betweens is painful. Do you turn down a maybe guy that might be great or just had a bad day or too much nerves during the interview, at the risk you end up with a shitlord?

I always find guys that seem friendly and smart but are lacking just a bit too much experience the most difficult calls. The last one we turned down ended up at Facebook shortly after. I'd consider it a sign they are quite willing to do a lot of training for juniors. Maybe that's useful info for people here.

It's probably harsh, but when I started interviewing, my manager said I should treat a maybe as a no. If you're not sure, you're not sure.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mniot posted:

The X-man?!

Maybe Professor X needs help building a new GUI for Cerebro, you don't know.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It might just be that they want someone that knows what side of a computer beep hoops?

I received a resume recently from a compsci student that wanted a summer placement as a developer who had absolutely no tech-related credentials whatsoever, their resume just said that they had retail experience and an A in school, with no mention whatsoever of a single programming language, technical proficiency, project they have worked on, or anything relevant at all.

Here's your chance to mold them in your own image!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

down with slavery posted:

You should be using a Boston address on your resume, they shouldn't even know you're in Florida

That works right up until they ask why they need to fly you out and put you in a hotel for an interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Cicero posted:

Mission accomplished, everyone. Great job.

edit: re-opening thread, apparently there are people besides 2banks who want a job too? Weird.

Start a new thread?