Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

shrughes posted:

Uh yeah, that would be pretty weird, you're not some noob and it's not like switching languages is going to suddenly make you one.

I think this is a situation where you have to trust the first-person report as incorrigible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

how!! posted:

I don't like to re-invent the wheel just for the hell of it.

I thought that was your whole gimmick?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

how!! posted:

Within there I'd find this: http://docs.python.org/2/library/threading.html#lock-objects

I would then spend a day or so reading those docs and trying out different things.

This attitude crops up a lot when dealing with junior people. Yes, yes, I'm sure you're quite clever and can take some time to understand what the rest of us think of as the baseline for doing this work. I'm not going to contest that.

My problem is when I'm hiring someone, I've got a complex problem already waiting and I need bodies solving it. I can't afford the time to ramp someone on the basics and then ramp them on the complexities of our business. Granted, I work in hardware so "the basics" I'm referring to are more like pipelines, cache topologies, etc. but the sentiment is largely the same.

With respect to Dunning-Kruger, I believe that was the whole mess about B-trees. You're claiming that understanding their implementation wouldn't help you rewrite queries when you lack the knowledge required to assess that judgement call. It's funny to see you twist it into your own frame though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

how!! posted:

For the record, if I was offered a job for 45K in NYC, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

The difference being you'd deserve it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

gucci void main posted:

When I interviewed for the NYC gig, they let me do what I did at home as it took some time to complete.

Yeah that was a really professional organization with sensible policies that you should benchmark all other companies against.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Uziel posted:

My decision is more along the lines of "I might as well use the tuition reimbursement and it would be easier now on the tail end of my bachelors and while at my current job. Plus I like money." vs "I love school and am mega passionate about the subject".

If you don't do it now, it gets exponentially harder. I've taken a few courses and applied to a couple graduate programs. I cannot stress the sheer difficulty of fitting a graduate degree around a full time job. Much less around a full time job, a spouse, and children.

Right now the thought of giving up my job and going back to school full time is just short of impossible. If you have the option, can afford it, and aren't yet sick of coursework (my reasoning at the time) I'd go for it.

Ithaqua posted:

Also, people with advanced degrees tend to want more money for doing the same work as someone with a BS or no degree at all.
... because most of the time they get it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ithaqua posted:

If the job doesn't explicitly call for a graduate degree, the exact same rate as a bachelors. It's just that some grad degree holders think they're entitled to more money.

Objectively false over here. People with masters literally come in a pay grade higher. This "entitlement" stems from the fact that it's loving true for most of the world, not some mythical land of make-believe.

edit since that's been covered:

Brannock posted:

So I'm gathering that right now I should be looking towards a master's, but to basically treat it like a bachelor's and not expect the world from it. I'm really just looking for a solid education leading to a satisfying career, not a get-rich-quick card, so I'm more than fine with that. I sent out a couple emails to my school's advising department and am planning on meeting with an advisor sometime in the next week or so. I'll discuss my situation and feel out what my options are.

I'm also going to start learning Python on my own and generally work on shaking off the rust from the last six years of not-coding. I hope I haven't forgotten too much from my high school classes. I'll sign up for a couple classes on Coursera as well when I get home tonight.
I'd look at a graduate degree as "filling in" areas where you didn't get to in a bachelor's. Didn't get to dive into compilers, make that up. Didn't see OS's past filesystems? Make it up.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 13, 2013

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I had an interview that went pretty well yesterday. 4-5 fairly standard technical questions, all of which I handled okay (one with a little prodding).

Not sure if this is common at other places, but when I give interviews the goal is to require prodding. When a RCG joins, they're not going to be independently trailblazing new domains, they're going to be owning a part of a larger whole. A person's ability to know when they're stuck, and to a larger extent their willingness to ask for help, is an important characteristic.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

How screwed am I and what should I have done when I couldn't remember something?

In my phone screen for an electrical engineering position, I fumbled for the term "Karnaugh Map". You know, the most fundamental method to solve boolean formulas that every undergrad sees in their first class? Couldn't answer it. Not sure if it was nerves or misunderstanding the question, whatever it was I didn't have the answer. It's not a dealbreaker if you don't know one question, but it can be if the conversation goes south because of it.

In general if you're stuck, acknowledge it. Ask the interviewer clarifying questions. They want you to succeed, if nothing else so they can quit interviewing people. Part of an old team's post-interview session was asking how the candidate dealt with tips e.g. if I give someone a massive hint and they completely ignore it and continue fumbling, it's a red flag.

edit:

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

More like "how would you implement an unordered_set?" after I mentioned an unordered_set. Generally, if I mentioned some data structure I've used, he'd ask me how it worked under the hood. I gave partial answers but I'm not optimistic.

e: Oh wow, I should've taken the hint when he gave me a question about hashtables after that one.
Sounds to me like you did fine. A phone screen at that level is just filtering out people who couldn't even approach under-the-hood questions, not expecting hardcore big-O analysis complete answers. Any area they asked about in the phone screen that you were weak on, definitely take some time to study up before you go on site.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 28, 2013

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

I acknowledged it when I couldn't quite remember something but is it appropriate to ask for clarification or hints on a definition question? e.g. "Can you refresh my memory on that topic?"

And thanks for the replies.

I edited my post just above this one. If it's the kind of thing where you just need a little push in the right direction and can pick up and give the last half of the answer then go for it.

Even if you're completely lost, it's better to be talking your way through an incomplete answer than sitting in awkward silence. If you're talking through it I get to see how you think and how you approach problems even when information is lacking. If you're silent I've got no clue.

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

e: Would it be for me or against me if I e-mailed the interviewer and said that I will review the thing I blanked out on before the next interview?
If it's part of a general thank-you email I'd say it's fine to mention, but don't make a big deal out of it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

shrike82 posted:

Why? Because the expense of relocating an employee is peanuts compared to the total comp package for a half-decent dev.
Paying 20-30K for a relocation package is on the level of a headhunter's fee anyway so I'm not sure what the fuss is about...

If you've got an alumni network that's actively soliciting your services, you might not be in the same class as the self-taught PHP devs stuck out in the midwest who may also use this thread. Repeatedly furrowing your brow while dropping increasing dollar figures and/or recruitment methods isn't going to get you to the bottom of this one.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

So I did an interview yesterday and was told to expect an e-mail today about the results. I ended up getting a phone call today instead to come in for a "meet and greet" tomorrow, please tell me this is a good sign.

e: Apparently it's with people in other teams?

I've told people they aren't getting called back within 15 minutes of a phone screen starting. Nobody in a hiring position would waste more time & effort on a reject.

"Other teams" could mean people who would be depending on you or working on closely related things and want a veto power in the process. I agree with the above, sounds like you've passed the technical hurdles and it's a personality check now.

If "other teams" means "we don't want you, but you might be a good fit for X" don't rule it out just on that. My first job went like that. After the day-long interview the hiring manager sent my info to another group that was a much better fit for my skills. I wouldn't have done nearly as well in the first group and I'm lucky they actually figured that out.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

evensevenone posted:

Even at 90k, after tax you're at about 5k/mo, which makes a $2500/mo 1br a bit of a stretch.

In the rest of the world you could be buying houses. And boats.

In SF, you'd have a reason to leave them.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

facepalmolive posted:

I used to have massive anxiety issues if I didn't immediately see the solution, and then I'd start panicking. The other thing I should mention is that, at least at Google, questions that are all about "whether you see this one piece of insight or not" are considered bad questions (that doesn't mean that you won't get a lovely interviewer who asks it anyway, though). Because, yeah, whether you get the answer is more a matter of either (1) luck, or (2) whether you've seen the question before, rather than about how sharp you really are.

Picking up on this discussion here, not necessarily directing comments at facepalmolive.

Interviews should involve a problem that you can't immediately bat back. Something with an incomplete spec, something you don't know how to do, etc. I want to see how you respond in that situation because a similar one will crop up in the course of the job. I want to see how you react when you get stuck and have no idea how to proceed. Panicking, locking up, and going silent is not ideal.

At the very least, start talking through your thought process. Even if you think the line you're taking is stupid, being able to describe your internal state puts you a step ahead of the silent person. I can correct your course instead of counting down the silent seconds until I can get back to real work. Ask clarifying questions. We used to have structured problems with a series of 'hints' and post-interview wrapups would go over "How well did the candidate pick up on hints?". If I could give a few insights and have them immediately take the new information and start chugging on the problem, great, if I had to repeat something a few times or re-phrase it without giving the total answer away, not so great.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Anyone know what the market for embedded folks near Boston is like?

It sucks come work in SF

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
This is the closest thread I can think to ask this. I'm going to be interviewing someone who would come in as my manager. I've got a pretty good idea how I'll approach it, but any advice from the regulars here?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

2banks1swap.avi posted:

In my experience at my University's CS program, you learn very little about how to write programs in an easy to read, easy to debug, well organized manner, and in no way do you learn how to write them to share with or collaborate with other people. Lots of idiosyncrasies that some professors have that limit your ability to structure things well, and on top of it all most of what you're doing is very antiquated.
Is that CS program particularly well funded or well regarded? Is it worth extrapolating sweeping condemnation over the entire space because of your one personal data point? I had college projects where team projects with source control was enforced if we're just trading anecdotes.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Apparently it's good pedagogy to implement a bubble sort in a loop and pass an array to it, not learn how to use generic lists and sorts, or something.
Yes. It's more useful to work underneath an abstractions and learn the relevant tradeoffs instead of teaching how to yank on a particular language's high-level handles that may or may not translate to a new language. You even note how easy it is to pick up on the high level abstraction without noticing the downside of teaching exclusively to it.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I do want to finish, and I would like to be able to say "Yeah, I made a compiler :smug:" but how is that actually going to help me in the workplace? It's certainly not actually going to make me any more money over my lifetime to stop working and get in more debt! Few people make compilers and not too many people are gunning for those jobs or even motivated to take them at all anyway.
I can't tell you to finish since I lack the perspective, but what I will say is that if you don't wrap up your degree now, you never will. Once you're full-time and have income, turning your back on that to take on more debt won't magically look better. Honestly if you're able to dump a quarter of the motivation you have towards posting about all this ad nauseam towards a career at a good place you'll do fine, degree or not.

At the end of my last job I was evaluating a few different compilers, it really helped to understand what they were attempting to do under the hood or pausing the process and doing the linking myself. There are a lot of jobs where compiler knowledge can be informative that are outside of actually banging around on their internals.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

evensevenone posted:

It doesn't really belong in an academic context,

If your CS program isn't doing complex enough projects to warrant source control it probably sucks.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

return0 posted:

But VCS has nothing to do with CS? Also, surely these days students enrolling in a CS degree would already be using source control...

Christ, sorry if a 15 minute intro to a tool everyone interacting with computer software creation should at least have a taste of would sully up the purity of a CS program. Have you heard the one about astronomers and telescopes??

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

return0 posted:

By saying it should be taught, the implication is that something else shouldn't to accommodate it (or that a new class should be added, and that it should be this rather something more valuable from an academic perspective).
You seemed in agreement that it ought to take 15 minutes to give a brief overview of the specific tools our domain has to deal with the issue of version control. What gloriously pure CS topic is getting nudged out of those 15 minutes? ME's are somehow able to wrangle their curriculum and briefly mention PDM solutions. I'm not advocating a giant course spanning years of instruction, you even quoted me saying 15 minutes. Not buying that some crucial CS concept is getting edged out there.

return0 posted:

It's not the responsibility of the university to raise industry standards about production issues like these. If industry is affected it should fund employee training schemes out of profit. This is just *wha wha* entitled bullshit from some private companies to the educational establishment, no wonder it is being eroded when smart people buy it.
I'm sorry you're really coming off like we're just harshing your wankfest over how goddamn pure CS can be and that mentioning any vagary of actually running anything in the real world should be hushed away to protect the delicate learning. CS majors can be entrusted with the holy relics of compilers and operating systems but can't take a few minutes to improve their entire workflow in dealing with how they're actually made?

It's simple to teach. It's downright required for any large project, of which a competent CS program should bother with the implementation for a few. Your core argument seems to be about the 'purity' of CS and I give that zero sympathy.

nachos posted:

Git and SVN are different enough to where if I learned SVN in college I definitely would not have been any better prepared to learn the Git way of doing things.
I really hope you're in the wankfest academic camp and aren't allowed to touch production code if you couldn't abstract some element of version control in the apparently vast gulf between git and svn.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Zero The Hero posted:

I can't use my GPA, my Math and Greek classes drug it down too far.

Do people still list "Major GPA" or whatever? Advertising your GPA within the core classes of your degree to cover for situations like yours.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

return0 posted:

What would you teach in the 15 minutes that isn't trivially googleable, highly superficial, and low value?

You've spewed a bunch of words without giving a good fix on your position. I'm lead to believe you think version control is trivially googleable, highly superficial, low value, and would wholly corrupt the feeble mind of any CS student who dared gaze upon it?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Zero The Hero posted:

My GPA for my programming/computer courses only is like a 3.3 or something, which I what I put down for Northrop Grumman, but I don't feel comfortable listing it on my resume as my official "Major GPA" because it's not something I can prove. Maybe I could say something like "Graduated with a Bachelor's in Computer Science - 3.3 GPA in CS courses"
A) Don't work for the MIC
B) This is falling under the "HR hurdles" part of resume writing where you won't really be challenged on it nor should you consider it the gold standard of your core ethics.

return0 posted:

What you could teach in 15 minutes is trivial; what you could teach in longer may not be, but that time would be better used teaching something less frequently encountered in production.
Version control isn't "production-only". Anyone tackling a significant CS problem, even in the most sacred halls of theory, is complex enough to warrant and benefit from version control and pretending that because students can limp by without it you're doing them a favor is sickening.

Continue cutting off your nose to spite your face though. I'm sure the lessons learned from doing a compiler without version control taste all the sweeter.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

return0 posted:

When I did my undergrad myself and everyone I know used version control and we had no classes on it.

You will typically only encounter complex VCS issues on a large scale production system with a big team (i.e., not a coursework).

I'm not speaking about "complex VCS issues" or requiring years of coursework on git internals. Any time you'd like to drop that strawman would be nice.

I'm talking about the CS problems themselves being big enough that having something better than "main.c.LATEST.fix.4" would help. Any compiler or OS course should benefit from basic version control.

edit:

return0 posted:

I guess I must concede that maybe my expectation that new hires out of college will not be well versed in vcs and associated deployment subtleties is unreasonable (or unfashionable?).
You could start by pretending knowledge of VCS isn't a binary option of "kinda knows how to use it" and "master of all known vcs's" are the only two options. That would be quite a start.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 25, 2013

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bhaal posted:

Like anything you put on there, you'll have to accept scrutiny for it. GPA matters in some cases but in the big picture it's often irrelevant data for most positions and hiring processes, so to me it's just raising too much complexity to put down "And this is my GPA*". What courses exactly are excluded? Is the school coming up with this metric or are you literally hand-crafting your own special GPA? Now before I basically wouldn't remember your GPA 10 seconds after seeing it on the sheet unless it's exceptionally high or low and probably only marginally then. Now it's starting to feel like you're running some sort of game by coming up with a doctored stat masquerading under the credentials of an impartial 3rd party stat to make yourself look better. Maybe you're not and some internet people just told you you should compute your Degree GPA or whatever and you just thought it was what everyone does, but either way I'm now more interested in this GPA business far more than I would've been so we're gonna drill down on it in the interview.

This is far more thought & discussion than I've given GPA's in the sum total of my interviewing experience.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Don Mega posted:

Why would they want to watch you while performing this test? "Ah look at those facial expressions while writing that recursive solution, a true wizard. Uh oh he looked uncomfortable for a second, subtract 5 points". It seems laughably idiotic.

Guess you've never given a phone screen where answers come in two word chunks and by the end of it you're utterly convinced their friend in the room should've applied.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr. Crow posted:

Why on earth would you put hobbies on a resume, that's something you'd talk about during the interview process.

Strangely enough, during my interviews we've discussed the things on my resume.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Deus Rex posted:

edit: any other tips for interviewing with a seed-stage startup?

Culture fit is a much, much, bigger deal than technical skill. You're going to be in the trenches with these people. If you can't stand each other personally it doesn't matter if you're the best coder they've ever seen or if they've got a solid gold business plan.

Frankly, I don't think the investor's name is all that important. Their 'track record' is nearly a tossup by definition. I'd be much more interested in what market they're targeting (e.g. something with a ton of people jumping at it like uber/lyft vs. a fresh market). It could be a red flag if it's "some dude we know" and you'll experience the joy of a "payroll event" within a year, but I wouldn't go take the success rate of a VC firm as a reasonable metric.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
It's almost like they're asking to see your thought process instead of a solution in isolation.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cicero posted:

edit: \/\/\/ Having Stanford on his resume will help get him interviews, but it won't automatically grant him offers. \/\/\/
lol

UnfurledSails posted:

Honestly, I don't really know who would want me when I'm surrounded by ridiculously talented people who have been coding since before high school.
What concerns me is you're only hitting "oh poo poo i know people better than me in every dimension!!" in your junior year. Should've hit you freshman year, sophomore at the latest. Too much time hanging around EBF? Regardless, it's high time you learned how to market yourself as a package instead of on solitary aspects.

The leg up you've got on 90% of that crowd ought to be people skills. Most jobs require rudimentary coding skills and a shitload more talking to relevant professionals.

I don't have a github. This has not affected my career trajectory in the slightest.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've interviewed a few dozen firmware engineers and I've never seen a github listed. It's great for web dev, python, ruby, and a bunch of other subdisciplines and completely unheard of in my part of the stack. This context is largely ignored when people recommend literally every junior person in the thread start one regardless if they fall into those camps. It's not required for a huge chunk of programming jobs and pushing it like it's required is adding stress where people don't need it.

UnfurledSails posted:

I know I'm not a moron, but that sense of "what the hell am I doing here?" is always there.
I've been at this 10 years and haven't shaken this feeling. It's not a red flag to feel like this.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Z-Bo posted:

That is JUST to weed out people who don't love what they do for a living.

LITERALLY.

What a crude, ineffective filter. You know you can actually ask people and listen to their response? This isn't a protected area like martial status.

I love my work. I've shipped millions of units and I'm drat proud of them. But, guess I didn't sign up for the right social network so none of that counts. Do you also check their Twitter and Facebook to see if they're up to snuff?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Z-Bo posted:

1) I've worked with people before who only do programming to pay the bills. It is absolutely awful.

What asinine bullshit. How this reads to me is that you're working on very small problems. You can take <=20 developers cut from the same challenge-driven cloth and have enough interesting new problems to sic them on that they won't get bored and just stop. From later in the thread, it's no surprise you're having to rewrite on a yearly basis, nor that you don't see this as a problem.

I used to work on engineering problems that took 500 people 5 years to do. You can't corral a bunch of cowboys for that long, nor consistently point them in the same direction even if the former problem was solved. At a certain point, you have a huge volume of 'boring' work that you need to give salaried guy with a family to get home to. The cowboy wouldn't sit there and do it, they'd invent some meta-problem and take 3 weeks to come up with a glorious solution to save 2 week's effot. And the family coder is happy to do that work, take their paycheck, and leave at 5.

If you're solving problems with a team consisting entirely of challenge-driven people, you're in a small problem space with rapidly shifting requirements. The entirety of the discipline is not contained within those problem spaces.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tunga posted:

QuickSort is like fifteen lines of code so it's not exactly hard to memorise. I also understand and explained it, of course.

Tres Burriots, you could nail this question even without knowing quicksort.

If you're in that situation, start talking. You ought to know enough to put "sort(int[] array) {" in your language up on the board. If you're completely lost on the algorithm, start asking for hints. Interviewers don't want to sit there just looking at you, it's a waste of everyone's times. And for a RCG/junior employee, I'm expecting to give them work that they'll need to ask about. So the interview is a little mock session where you don't know how to proceed and I'm going to gauge how easily you pick up on hints and start working vs. if I have to explain where every semicolon goes.

Explaining what's going on inside your head is crucial. It doesn't matter if you're mentally doing Rubik's cubes and eliminating world hunger, if no words are coming out of your mouth talking about it I have to assume you're daydreaming about hitting the It's-it factory on the way back to the airport. Which might make you a great culture fit, but I really need a coder.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pilsner posted:

I'm pretty certain that solving the problem is the primary task of a coding interview question, and thinking out loud a close second. I mean, how would you rate a guy who talked and talked and tried all sorts of things to solve it, but ultimately wasn't able to solve FizzBuzz on the whiteboard?

Maybe not hire, but he's heads above the person who doesn't say a word while writing a solution on the board before returning to their seat, awaiting the delivery of their next work-unit for skills provenance beep boop. 100% coding all the time always is rare. More often, you actually have to communicate with other professionals. Architects, customers, other programmers, communication is a rarer skill than pure coding.

Tunga posted:

Although the "burritos" comment is wasted on me (I guess it's a US thing).

You don't have to know all the answers and sometimes admitting that is just as valuable as if you had known it.

I mentioned the name of another poster who could benefit from the advice. My old company would specifically ask questions that we expected a candidate to not know the answer to, partially to weed out the types who won't admit fault no matter how glaringly obvious, partially to see how someone reacts in that situation. It's not failsafe since interviews can be stressful, but it's handy.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Safe and Secure! posted:

If I actually had anything to express while doing FizzBuzz, other than my surprise and elation at having encountered the mythical fizzbuzz interview question, I'd feel like I bombed the interview, because I'd be wondering what kind of idiot the interviewer must think I am that I found fizzbuzz to require thought.

Just to demonstrate that an interviewer can probably migrate a question into an area you'll have to ask about, did I mention it was in MIPS assembly? I'd find it very odd if someone had syscall syntax for an obsolete processor and unknown OS memorized and didn't have to ask about it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

piratepilates posted:

That depends on if they expect everyone to get it right, I understand what they're going for and you can see how a person thinks about the statement but if this is for a junior developer position it's also possible that someone just might not be exposed to how post and pre increment operators differ.

Yeah if it's a binary yes/no "Did you get (21|19)" then it's a lovely question. If it's an open question that lets you express what you know about pre- and post- operators and think out loud as you trace through code, it's not as lovely.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Comparatively speaking, my skills at internet bullshitting have increased at a greater rate than my programming skills.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
My team gave an offer once that was open for a number of years. The candidate was finishing grad school, since the req was approved we weren't going to cancel it. Weird mix of circumstances, but this person's name was on our slides for years without ever coming to work for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
There's some selection bias. Anyone still listing their GPA after a few years is probably 4.0.

HondaCivet posted:

The phone interview doesn't typically have coding questions at least, right? It's usually stuff you just answer with an explanation like what's a hashmap, etc.?
A phone screen is answering the question "Is this person worth flying out and burning ~6 hours of engineer's time with?". So phone screens are typically those types of questions along with some behavioral ones, e.g. "Describe a situation in which you disagreed with a superior about how to proceed and how you resolved it". I've done code during a phone screen, but I wouldn't expect that to be the norm.