Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
How stable/reliable is Tale of Two Wastelands?

I was thinking about picking up Fallout 3 GOTY when it goes on sale, but I've heard that it has issues on quad-core CPUs and that you have to set to use a single core. However, I just recently found out about TTW, so not only was I interested in playing the F3 campaign with the New Vegas engine, I thought that the mod would also work as alternative to circumventing the compatibility issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's reliable but sadly subject to feature bloat recently and because the games have different artistic direction, graphical mods tend to clash a bit with either Fallout 3 or New Vegas.
Also Fallout 3 can run well on dual cores, it just shits the bed with quad cores or more so you have to tell the game to only use two cores.

I saw this mentioned a page or two back. What kind of feature bloat is there? Somebody mentioned how inconvenient is to travel between both games, and the unnecessary decoration, but is there more?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

When installing Nexus Mod Manager, it prompts me to remove the read-only setting from the 'fallout.ini' file. Is it safe to do that?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

frajaq posted:

Yeah, some mods need to change that file

Cool, thanks.

I guess what I'll ask now is what mods I should run. This may or may not come as a surprise, but last time I ran through New Vegas, I played it without mods (save for this interface mod, which I later dropped when I couldn't get the delay patch to work, probably because of the way I installed it).

I have some in mind already. I'd like to try and get the interface mod from above working properly. I also wanted to try this Pip-Boy replacement (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/38844/).

Someone suggested these two mods (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45557/ & http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51983/) to make a Legion play-through more interesting.

Quest mods are what I'm interested in at the moment. New Vegas Bounties is the only one I'm familiar with, though it's the one that seems to be the most recommended.

Lastly, a question about the Better Game Performance and NVAC mods. Do either of those address the crash you get when exiting the game?

EDIT: I was also looking for a mod to keep the Courier's Stash equipment from being dumped into my inventory. I found two (Courier's Stash Integration and Courier's Stash Pack Selector.) Which of the two is recommended/works better? I know you can disable the DLC via Steam, but I want to keep it active in case I try the jsawyer mod.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 17, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So in lieu of playing the dozens of other games I have, I decided to reinstall New Vegas. :negative:

The last two times I played through NV, I sided with the NCR, so I wanted to try going with Caesar's Legion for a change. Someone said that it was worth installing mods to add in some more Legion content, since the vanilla game is somewhat lacking when it comes to Legion content.

I also thought about going with a melee character, but I'm hesitant. It's always been my (probably narrow-minded) perspective that melee-only characters wouldn't really fare that well, since human enemies with guns can blast you down before you can get close to them, and deathclaws and cazadores aren't type you want to go toe-to-toe with. It's something that doesn't really appeal to me, but I'd like to give it a try.

I thought about trying the Bounties mod (at least first two, since it sounds like the third one is pretty bad). Project Nevada seems interesting for the sprint feature, and I want to install Quickloot for sure. Autumn Leaves sound interesting, but I don't think it's suited for the character I listed above.Other than that, though, I'm not sure what else to install. I got a faster computer since I last played through the game, so I guess I could try one the graphical enhancement mods and it wouldn't cause too much trouble.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Guns just use ammunition, which is expensive. Punching someone in the face is free.

You've got a point there.

So I installed Mod Organizer, and I'm having more trouble getting it setup than I expected. I got NVAC and the Someguy Series thing for the Bounties mod. However, I ended up with item in the list marked as 'Overwrite', and all the Non-Mod Organizer iterms are marked as 'Unmanaged'. Is that normal or did I screw something up? Also, regarding NVSE, do I need to coordinate that with Mod Organizer? I haven't installed it yet, and I'm wondering if I can install it with MO.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 8, 2016

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kumaton posted:

If your Overwrite item on your list isn't marked as red, then it shouldn't be anything you need to worry about. Same with anything marked 'Unmanaged'. It simply means it's a mod that wasn't installed by Mod Organizer, or by putting it in the root NV folder.

And, yes, you do need to configure NVSE with Mod Organizer, but all it entails is finding the NVSE .exe using MO's executive manager and filling in one or two boxes. You should then be able to launch your game through NVSE from the main window by clicking the down arrow on your 'Launch Game' box and selecting the NVSE item.

Well, I got NVSE setup with MO, and so far, everything looks pretty good. I had my old save games left over, so I played part of the Bounties I mod, and it seems like NVAC is working, because I don't get the crash when I quit.

However, setting up mods is still confusing. For example, I tried to install the Better Binoculars mod, but I don't know how to select or sort the data folders so that everything works.

As far as the other mods I thought about installing, I was going to install MCM and CASM, though with CASM, I don't know if I should delete all my old save games first. I thought about trying one of the graphical enhancement mods, but I don't know which one is really preferred or recommended. I'm familiar with Imaginator from Gopher's videos, but that's about it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kumaton posted:

If you get an error message that you data folders aren't on top when you're about to install a mod, you just have to click-n-drag the files it shows in the window up to the big ">data" header at the top. Ideally, if it shows a folder called "Data" under that, you'll just open up the folder in the window and drag all of it's contents, such as Meshes, Textures, and Sounds files, along with any .esms and .esps to the ">data" folder. It's a bit more work than installing a mod with FOMM, for example, but unlike FOMM, you don't get false positives where a mod says it's installed but it actually moved everything into a Data folder inside F: NV's Data folder.

The Better Binoculars one's confusing, though since there's two DATA folders listed (one listed under '<data'>, and another listed under the 'Binoculars Shapes' directory), and I can't figure out how to merge them so that they work properly. Either it applies the extra zoom without the binocular shape, or it flat out doesn't work. If I can't get it work, that's fine. I'm just worried I'll run into the problem again with something else.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Fear and Loathing In New Vegas covers how to do something like that. First you set the data directory to the proper one, then you go into the optional subdirectory that you're talking about (Binoculars Shapes) and drag it up to the base. Boom.

This site here?: http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

I've tried dragging the directories onto one another, but they don't seem to combine properly. Instead it just adds it to the list, as a sub category.

Here's the collapsed mod list:

Most of the time when I install it, I'll get the increased zoom, but the side will have these weird grey blinders on the side.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Just guessing, but based on the structure there it looks like you are meant to choose one "data" folder depending on if you want "binocular shape" or not. \Data if you don't want it, \Binocular Shape\Data if you do.

e: also obviously just choose one of those .esps in the "optional" folder at most.

Yeah, I unpacked the mod and took a look at the readme file, and it turns out you're supposed to alter the .ini file.

quote:

1. Copy the contents of the included Data folder to your New Vegas Data folder. If you are using the steam version, you can find you data folder at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\Data" or a similar location.

2. Open FalloutPrefs.ini in your "MyGames\FalloutNV" folder. Add this line to the [Display] section:

fScopeScissorAmount=0

If you don't follow this step, you will get opaque bars on the left and right of your zoom screen.

If you are still getting the opaque bars, check to make sure your change is still saved. If you have trouble, try making the change in Fallout.ini. You can also try Fallout_default.ini in your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas" folder. Make sure to make a backup of Fallout_default.ini before editing it.

The reason why there are two different data directories is because 'Binocular Shape' is a separate version that lets you retain the cutout shape from the zoom.

quote:

To get a more cartoonish binocular shape, use the contents of the "Binocular Shape" folder instead of the regular Data folder. I wiped down the lens as best I could with an old rag I found. Delete the binocular.dds file in your "fallout new vegas\Data\Textures\Weapons\Scope" folder to return the lenses to their previously dirty state.

I added the line to all three .ini files, but it did no good, so I think I'm going to give up on it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Yep. MO uses its own .ini files for each profile.

Ha, I tried reinstalling the mod and altered the .ini files through MO and it finally worked. Thank you.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sorry for asking about this now when there's a new thread on the way, but I'm following the Viva New Vegas guide, and I'm wondering when/if I should run the BSA Decompressor, or if I also need to download the OGG libraries. The Viva New Vegas guide says use one or the other, but this guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cypqage_Pdk) say to install the OGG libraries, then run the BSA Decomp at the end.

EDIT: I'm also looking at the Rika's guide posted above, which lists both.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 16, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So hey, Fallout: The Frontier comes out tomorrow, and I'm excited to give it a shot. I reinstalled New Vegas a while back, and was following the Viva New Vegas guide. I only got about halfway through it (finished the Visuals portion and stopped there). Because of that though, I'm wondering if any of those mods are going to conflict with The Frontier. I know it's not actually out yet, so nobody knows what kind of mod compatibility it has, but I thought maybe I'd post the mod list to see if something like the expanded LOD or whatnot would cause issues.

EDIT2: Oh, I forgot that it was also getting released on Steam. There's is also an Excel sheet outlining mod compatibility: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haLudyV-q4IXVu3jmJ_KjvF82CmsQDTIiyJXODHsdAs/edit#gid=0. However, it doesn't mention anything pertaining to LOD, so maybe I'll have to toggle that off.

But anyway, who's excited for it? It's been what feels like 4 years since it was announced, and I've wanted to play it since then.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 14, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

From what I understand downloading the mod off of steam is standalone, it only checks that you own the requisite game, not whether it's actually installed

Soks posted:

Edit: :siren: xNVSE, JIP NVSE, and JohnnyGuitar NVSE have all had updates very recently and are required for The Frontier to work correctly. :siren: I thought I was fine with my setup I made in mid december but nope!

That's cool to hear. I have a lot of that stuff installed already through Mod Organizer, but I'd rather do it through the Steam install (once it's available) so I don't have to toggle anything for it to run The Frontier, and keep the installations separate. Plus, my versions of xNVSE, JIP NVSE, and Johnny Guitar are also probably out-of-date, and I'm too lazy to download the updated versions. :effort: (Unless I'm misunderstanding, and I do need to update/adjust my MO install)

Soks posted:

It's still suggested that you start a new save but it will likely be fine. Once on a character that is lvl 11+, wait 12 hours outside and courier will approach you I think. Beware if you installed the frostbite spider courier mod.

This would probably be a lot scarier if the spiders in Skyrim didn't look so dopey (they look more like ants, honestly).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So hey thread, has anybody heard...

<reads last page of posts>

...:cripes:Swear to god, I'm going to put a bullet in my head in my head one of these days to escape this loving nightmare future

So, uh, has there been any word about when The Frontier is going to get released on Steam? Is it still going to happen this month,

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

so you's the freakin courier or somethin

It's from S.T.A.L.K.E.R., though, so it would be more like, "Друг, ты курьер что ли?"

Skwirl posted:

None of them are as famous as the nazi one.
It sucks for that guy that he has the same name as a famous neo nazi, I would probably make sure my middle name or initial was featured in everything public about me.

There's a reason actor Michael B Jordan is always referred to as Michael B Jordan.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Way to go, guys. Now Something Awful is a complete laughingstock!

You mean moreso than usual?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

NPC: "Wanna join the Enclave?"

Courier "The Enclave? Aren't they the guys who got outsmarted by some tribal who stole their vertibird plans, infiltrated two of their bases, defeated the president's super-mutated juggernaut bodyguard, and blew up their oil rig headquarters?"

NPC: "Uh...no that was the...Conclave! Yeah, that's it...uh...oh no! Look! A sex lizard! We've got a get outta here!"

<NPC ends conversations, flees across map into ravine, causing the game to crash>

-

Actually, can someone explain the sex lizard thing to me? I didn't quite catch the gist of what that was all about.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

This mod's not going to get released on Steam, is it?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I mean, there's still a listing for it on Steam, but it still says, 'coming soon'.

Is that torrent link for it still up, or did that get axed too?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Like Steam has any compunctions against hosting horrible content.

:hmmyes: Good point.

This is looking, uh...

I don't know this is as bad as Hunt Down the Freeman (I didn't play HDtF, though it looked like a broken mess and you had to pay for it). The Frontier seems like it had a lot more effort put behind it, but it seems very on-rails, and tonally, it seems all over the place with its content.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

The NCR campaign is pretty bad but you can bail on it pretty much immediately. There's still cool stuff to find in the world, and I liked walking about the parts of Portland that actually recognizably look like Portland. It's not 100% a mess like HDtF is, it would be a lot easier to write off if it were. Even the NCR campaign, which is a big dumb Call of Duty campaign, is impressive from a technical standpoint at times.

Well, the torrent link from a few pages back is still up, and I was downloading it, but then I saw that it's lacking a hotfix, and if that video was anything to go off, the mod will bug out pretty frequently. Plus, my internet keeps crapping out while trying to download it. I think I'll just wait until when (or if) it gets reposted or added to Steam.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Well maybe they can take another seven years, properly vet the content, and release something good.

Fallout: The Frontier - A Realm Reborn

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are you sure? I remember playing the early public releases for Black Mesa from moddb years before it hit Steam. It was definitely playable up to at least On A Rail for some time.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

The first standalone version of Black Mesa was released as a free download on September 14, 2012.[16][17] This contained remakes of all Half-Life's chapters except the final chapter set on the alien world Xen, which the team intended to rework for inclusion in a future release, as Xen in the original Half-Life was often considered its weakest part.[18] The development team estimated that the initial release of Black Mesa gave players eight to ten hours of content to complete.[18] Black Mesa's initial release coincided with the launch of Valve's Steam Greenlight program which allowed users to vote for games to be put onto the Steam storefront. Black Mesa became one of the first ten titles to be voted on by fans and approved by Valve to be included on Steam through Greenlight.[19]

Transitioning to commercial release (2013–2014)

A new version of the Source engine had been introduced by 2013 that, in addition to new engine features, included support for OS X and Linux platforms, however, developers had to pay to gain access to the full feature set of this engine. According to Adam Engels, the project lead at the completion of Black Mesa, Valve had actually approached their team around this time and suggested to them about making Black Mesa a commercial release and thus getting a license to the Source engine.[7] The team considered this option, and since access to the full Source engine would help make Black Mesa the best game they could, they opted to go the commercial route as to be able to pay for that license, not having intended to profit off the game from the start.[20] The team affirmed they had gotten Valve's permission to sell by November 2013.[20] Some of the team were later invited to Valve's offices in Bellevue, Washington in 2015.[7]

At this point in 2013, the team cautioned that a final version was still some distance away as they were still dealing with the updated Source engine, and they had not yet done much with Xen.[20] Crowbar Collective continued to offer the free version of Black Mesa based on the earlier Source engine off their website.[20] With the new Source engine, the team started to look closer at how Valve had used Source in Half-Life 2 compared to what they had done in the original Half-Life, and developed changes for Black Mesa that reflected what they believed were Valve's design principles in Half-Life 2. One of those was the idea that when introducing a new mechanic, the level was designed to teach the new mechanic without potential harm to the player-character, followed by then testing that mechanic in a more harmful situation to the character.[21] The team also included a brief mention to the long-fall boots from Aperture Science from the Portal series; Portal had come out after Half-Life 2 but loosely tied narratively to the Half-Life universe, and the team felt it appropriate to show the competing lab's technology within the Black Mesa facility from this connection.[21]

Once the team had gotten all but the Xen levels completed in the new Source engine they were content with, they released these on Steam's early access on May 5, 2015 to get feedback and bug testing, stating that the Xen sections were still a work in progress. This version also included the deathmatch multiplayer modes with some of Half-Life's remade maps.[22] Early access also brought Crowbar Collective additional support from developers and artists to help with finalizing the project.[7]

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

That expression conveys how I (and the mod developers, by the sounds of it) feel about the Frontier right about now. :smith:

Avatar size for someone who wants an avatar, I guess:

-

I think (I'm not sure) but that audio may possibly be from a (now privated) video talking with the devs.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 28, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Fallout has serious themes, and deals with dark subject matter.
Fallout also has silly themes, and deals with jokey subject manner.

The problem some modders have is that they try to handle both, and handle both of them badly. There's stuff where the editor should have said "nope".

I guess the question (which maybe ropekid could answer, if's he comfortable with it) is how do you balance dark elements in humor when designing a Fallout game? The DLCs are divvied up where each has its own tone, but how would you handle it if it were like the base game, where the tone shifts from area to area, or from NPC to NPC? I've only seen bits and pieces of the mod, so I don't know if there's any writing or ideas that stand above the rest. If there are, what's the ideal way of presenting it.

OldMemes posted:

That and they seemed to have shoved elements from Van Buren in with no context, whereas New Vegas recontextualized the elements and ideas they reused. There's a legion car in the mod that's based on a piece of concept art for a car from Van Buren/Black Isle's Fallout 4, and it doesn't fit the setting.

I have mixed feelings on the original Van Buren stuff that I've read, though most of the negative is focused on the main plot, which seems sort of flat (though maybe that's not fair.)

That said, there's a wealth of interesting stuff in it like the Daughters of Hecate, or the pursuit by the prison robots, which would have been more interesting than bringing back the BoS/Enclave again.

It sounds like some of it did make it in, like the space station bit, but I don't know of anything else. In general, I like it when cut content or ideas get repurposed.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Maybe I'm late to the party on this, but I was getting Fallout related videos on my YouTube recommendations, and a couple related to Fallout: The Frontier popped up, and I remembered that I never actually tried playing it. I know it crashed and burned when it launched, but I was morbidly curious and wanted to experience it for myself.

However, when I went to look to see if it still was going to be released on Steam, I found the Twitter for the mod, and to my surprise, it's still being worked on, and it sounds like it's being revamped.

Did anyone else know about this? I admit, I haven't been following the FNV modding scene, so maybe this is common knowledge.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm tentatively thinking about reinstalling New Vegas again, along with the Viva New Vegas mod guide. However, I wanted to ask if any of the big quest mods/total conversions were worth checking out, since I haven't been keeping up with FNV mods.

I know The Frontier didn't turn out well, but I remember hearing some positive things about New California. I did a search for 'fnv total conversions' and found a couple that sounded interesting: Salt Lake Stories (which was described as being closer to the older Fallout games), and an upcoming one called Nuevo Mexico.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Salt Lake Stories is clunky as poo poo and unfinished but kind of interesting, worth touring through at least to see their decade-earlier car solution. New California is not good, nor is Frontier.

What was wrong with New California?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

The writing is terrible and completely unreflexive and the end inexplicably tries to tie into the base game that makes the whole thing dumber.

I guess I can just watch a playthrough of it on YouTube.

steinrokkan posted:

It's not a total conversion, but the only quest mod I've liked is Autumn Leaves.

I remembered that mod today. Wasn't the deal with that mod that Bethesda more-or-less copied it or one of the quests from it into Far Harbor?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The Mr Handy hotel murder mystery from Far Harbour got a lot of attention for being very similar to Autumn Leaves.

I haven't played Autumn Leaves or Far Harbor, but that's what I remember being said.

I recall (maybe incorrectly) that the mod author wasn't really bothered by it.

-

I mentioned that I was going to use the Viva New Vegas mod guide, but I was wondering if there was another mod list that builds off of it. The VNV guide has a page on mods to avoid, along with a bunch of alternatives that I thought about checking out, but I wanted to ask if anyone has or can point me towards a list of additional mods I can use without conflicts.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Viva New Vegas itself used to be that bigger mod list but then it downsized to something more vanilla-plus.

There's a Tale of Two Wastelands modlist that incorporates slightly more FNV content mods but of course, that requires installing TTW.

I always kind of wince internally whenever I think about playing Fallout 3 again (don't know why), but I did buy the GOTY on GOG, and I never played any of the FO3 DLC, so I need to get to it at some point.

I've never read much about Tale of Two Wastelands. My impression was that you just explore FO3 via NV, but how does it handle things like the main quest and DLC in FO3?

Rinkles posted:

just play TTW and ignore the capital wasteland.

:confused: Why? Isn't that the main point of the mod?

Is there some other benefit you get by doing a TTW install? (ex. FO3 items showing up in the Mojave)

ThaumPenguin posted:

There's also Blue Moon, made by the person who originally created Viva New Vegas. It's much more extensive, though I haven't tried it myself.

Dreamsicle posted:

I was going to suggest the Mojave Express Guide but unfortunately that's also going to be shelved soon. It should still be useful until at least the end of the month I think.

I can give both of these a look for mods to check out. Thanks.

v1ld posted:

I feel like I'm the old man shaking his fist at the VNV guide cloud, but do want to point out that it's an extremely opinionated, though mostly well done guide that has somehow turned into a gospel for modern NV modding - and that last is a bit much.

I would follow some, even most, of their recommendations but it's also worth keeping in mind there's a huge whiff of "purity in modding" to many of their suggestions. Massive, bloated mods like FOOK may no longer be in fashion due to how they approached modding back then, but people put in 1000s of combined hours with those mods and had fun with it.

Project Nevada is handled well with alternatives today, but it used to be the bleeding edge of sound modding practices - gribbleswhatevertheirnameis is a very competent modder and that JIP came along and extended NVSE tech to new heights doesn't automatically invalidate all of that work if what it contains seems appealing to you.

It's not a bad list, I agree with a lot of their recommendations - it's what I perceive as their aggressive pushing of "The Right Way To Do It" I find silly. The author has done a bunch of cool mods too - but they often reinvent older mods in a modern style, which I truly appreciate and use myself but also shows that same strain of "this is the right way to do things."

DUST, as an example from the mods to avoid list, is a unique experience - I haven't kept up, maybe it's not any more - and here's the list on it: "DUST - Contains tons of errors of all kinds."

Who gives a gently caress about errors if it plays and lets you complete a run with it if that's what you're looking for in that run? (Not endorsing DUST, that kind of thing never floated my boat.)

E: Probably shouldn't have quoted your post, Max Wilxo. I wasn't responding to it, but rather that page of mods to avoid. Old men who shake fists at clouds make mistakes like that.

To make up for that, have you checked out Stash Organizer? I suspect that by not being on the Nexus it's probably not in VNV. It's life changing in terms of loadout management, it's that good.

Nobody Interesting posted:

There's almost a level of theology to it, I guess exemplified by the fact that we can very easily refer to "gospels" and poo poo. Or I'm looking deep into it I dunno.

I dunno if it's wrong or right to have the competency test. They're just mods; some of them make you a big dicked wolf lady, and some of them build on the foundations of the game and just make it better. But it's a poo poo engine with a poo poo scripting language, and it also happens to be a game that is beloved enough to attract some really very brilliant minds to it. The magic people have worked on this thing is amazing.

Equally, though, people like my dad play it on the Xbox 360 and loving love it despite the issues. It's a good game with or without mods - it wouldn't have appeared on shelves if it wasn't.

This cabal of people - jip, qolore, pushthewinbutton (except gently caress his "Jsawyer" mod) to name a few - know this game inside and out and I think they're worth listening to for that reason, and they've pushed the bar so high in modding that FNV is even a more stable game than it ever used to be; you can skip the entire content section of the mod guides and just use the stability tools and engine improvements and still get a better game. And gently caress - they've done this without reverse engineering (for the most part). Who knows what they'll achieve once OpenMW can actually run FNV in full (that is a long term goal of OpenMW).

Use em or don't, hopefully no one makes you feel lovely for choosing one way or another (I am weirdly passionate about this - so I apologise if I've managed to do that), but this game is blessed with its own loving intelligentsia. Goddamn PhDs in FNV modding over here.

From what I remember, when I first went through the guide, the 'Mods to Avoid' section wasn't as extensive. The big downer for me was that it warned against using the Classic Fallout Weapons mod, which was a mod I wanted to use. With the current iteration, there's a remastered version they link.

The guides are geared towards optimizing the games and making them more stable, so it does seem kind of counter-productive to then load it up with mods that add more issues. That said, with something like Dust (which I'm also not interested in), there's not really an alternative for something like that.

I just didn't know what to look to in terms of additional content (quests, locations, gear, etc.) that wouldn't conflict with the optimizations.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 23, 2024