Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

CCO has been updated to version 1.4. Hit the usual place for the download.

The Readme has also been updated to match! Finally!

First: yay! This + rope kid's mod + PN (- Rebalance) + Puce Moose Tweaks == the greatest game.

One bug found: Perk Rebalance may need a compatibility patch against JSawyer. Your tweak to Cowboy's reqs (any one of the Guns/Explosives/Melee > 45 suffices) is clobbered by JSawyer dropping the damage boost to 20% but leaving the Guns + Melee req in place. I prefer to use the CCO version, so will probably mangle up a patch.

I'm using BOSS to manage the ordering of CCO's mods and compat patches. Someone's already updated the masterlist for an earlier version of CCO. I've updated the list to reflect the latest doc, would you give it a once over please? BOSS will order the files in the order listed here.

quote:

BEGINGROUP: CCO
//-----------
CCO - Perk Rebalance.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Dead Money.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Honest Hearts.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Old World Blues.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Lonesome Road.esp
CCO - Damage Resistance.esp
CCO - GC PN Rebalance Patch.esp
REQ: Project Nevada - Core.esm, Project Nevada - Rebalance.esm, CCO - Gameplay Changes.esm
CCO - GC DM Patch.esp
REQ: DeadMoney.esm, CCO - Gameplay Changes.esm
CCO - GC HH Patch.esp
REQ: HonestHearts.esm, CCO - Gameplay Changes.esm
CCO - GC OWB Patch.esp
REQ: OldWorldBlues.esm, CCO - Gameplay Changes.esm
CCO - GC LR Patch.esp
REQ: LonesomeRoad.esm, CCO - Gameplay Changes.esm
CCO - CP DM Patch.esp
REQ: DeadMoney.esm, CCO - Classic Perks.esm
CCO - CP OWB Patch.esp
REQ: OldWorldBlues.esm, CCO - Classic Perks.esm
CCO - CP LR Patch.esp
REQ: LonesomeRoad.esm, CCO - Classic Perks.esm
CCO - CP PN Patch.esp
REQ: Project Nevada - Core.esm, Project Nevada - Equipment.esm, CCO - Classic Perks.esm, Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
CCO - CP PN Core Patch.esp
REQ: Project Nevada - Core.esm, CCO - Classic Perks.esm
CCO - CP PN Equipment Patch.esp
REQ: Project Nevada - Core.esm, Project Nevada - Equipment.esm, CCO - Classic Perks.esm
CCO - CP PN Rebalance Patch.esp
IFNOT VAR(PN-C) || IFNOT VAR(PN-R) || IFNOT FILE("CCO - Classic Perks.esm") REQ: Project Nevada - Core.esm, CCO - Classic Perks.esm and Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
CCO - CP OWB PN Patch.esp
IFNOT VAR(PN-C) || IFNOT VAR(PN-R) || IFNOT VAR(OWB) || IFNOT FILE("CCO - Classic Perks.esm") || IFNOT VAR(PN-E) REQ: OldWorldBlues.esm, Project Nevada - Core.esm, Project Nevada - Equipment.esm, CCO - Classic Perks.esm, Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
CCO - FT DM Patch.esp
REQ: DeadMoney.esm, CCO - Follower Tweaks.esm
CCO - FT HH Patch.esp
REQ: HonestHearts.esm, CCO - Follower Tweaks.esm
CCO - FT OWB Patch.esp
REQ: OldWorldBlues.esm, CCO - Follower Tweaks.esm
CCO - FT LR Patch.esp
REQ: LonesomeRoad.esm, CCO - Follower Tweaks.esm
CCO - FT Willow Patch.esp
REQ: NVWillow.esp, CCO - Follower Tweaks.esm
CCO - PR PN Patch.esp
REQ: Project Nevada - Core.esm, CCO - Perk Rebalance.esp
CCO - DR DM Patch.esp
REQ: DeadMoney.esm, CCO - Damage Resistance.esp
CCO - DR HH Patch.esp
REQ: HonestHearts.esm, CCO - Damage Resistance.esp
CCO - DR OWB Patch.esp
REQ: OldWorldBlues.esm, CCO - Damage Resistance.esp
CCO - DR LR Patch.esp
REQ: LonesomeRoad.esm, CCO - Damage Resistance.esp
CCO - DR PN Patch.esp
REQ: Project Nevada - Core.esm, Project Nevada - Equipment.esm, CCO - Damage Resistance.esp
CCO - Follower Sneak Attacks Add-on.esp
CCO - Rex Fetch Add-on.esp
CCO - Raul Crafting Add-on.esp
CCO - Companion Development.esp
CCO - GC JSawyer Patch.esp
REQ: JSawyer.esp, CCO - Gameplay Changes.esm
CCO - CP JSawyer Patch.esp
REQ: JSawyer.esp, CCO - Classic Perks.esm
ENDGROUP: CCO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

When you mention the perk overlap, are you taking into consideration that the Perk Rebalance and JSawyer are irreconcilable, and you should load whichever you prefer last, as suggested by the readme?

Overlooked/forgot that!

Cirosan posted:

Regarding BOSS:

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I reworked the list completely based on this and it's now spread across various groups in the BOSS masterlist, while still preserving the order you suggested.

The game is very stable now so if anyone's interested in the updated masterlist, let me know. I'm not having much luck in the BOSS thread in getting it updated.

The masterlist should be stored on github and the consumers (BOSS/FOMM) should let you configure the repo location so its easy to manage/fork.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Sorry to report that after taking a closer look at Puce Moose's Reduced World Items, it conflicts with both CCO and JSawyer. The reason it does this is because the author attached the script that makes the disappear-sorcery happen to the base form of all affected ingestibles. Generally, tweaking the base form of something is going to make your mod a compatibility nightmare.

Luckily, the conflict in both cases is relatively benign. Whichever mod loads last will have its changes take precedent. For CCO, the problem area is the ingestibles modified to match the Determined trait. For JSawyer, the problem area is the ingestibles modified to be rebalanced (RadAway, Stimpaks, and Super Stimpaks) and the ingestibles added by the mod (Homemade Stimpaks and Expired Stimpaks).

It should be an easy fix, though. You'd need three compatibility patches: One if you're using CCO with PM, one if you're using JSawyer with PM, and another if you're using all three. I'll see if I can't whip something up myself later.

It can also be worked around by having BOSS tag the Reduced World Items mod with "Scripts", so that the scripts are loaded into the bashed patch along with the associated item even if the RWI mod is loaded earlier.

While that solved the conflict, the bigger problem is that the scripts can bring performance down to a crawl. I had to disable it after a while since both general exploration and inventory access slowed down considerably (esp. indoors, I think).

I'm guessing the problem is that I have my settings at ultra, which bumps item fade distance to the max. If the scripts - attached to all world items (which is an elegant way of reducing placed items) - are run once for every item within fade distance, then that's a huge volume to search and process the scripts for.

I haven't had the chance to confirm this by tweaking item fade distance, so it's all guessing at this point.

Pity though, it's a great mod.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Indeed we were, then life happened and development slowed. The big question to ask is: Is there any reason for CCO to have such a feature when PM already does it? I'm not opposed to making such a thing, but I don't know if there's anything I can do differently enough to warrant the effort.

The only reason that springs to mind is compatibility. PM is basically incompatible with everything under the sun because it modifies so many base forms that are used by so many things; I obviously wouldn't do things that way. But I'm not sure if there's any other way to do it - I'd have to think on it. If NVSE has some sort of GetBaseID feature and if an effect script could detect non-persistent references, that would do it.

Improved performance for a general solution for placed items would be the other reason. Here's Puce Moose mentioning the slowdown in the mod thread.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

So here's my first question: Would someone more skilled with FNVEdit be able to tell me if the patch merging would be a viable solution? My second: Assuming it is, would some of you guys be willing to beta test the new merged patches to make sure they work before I include them in a formal release?

Wouldn't call myself knowledgeable on FNVEdit, but I see precious few conflicts from your mods - since you script so much of the tweaks. I'd be happy to playtest as well.

The other method is to use BOSS to manage all of the various files. Here's the current BOSS masterlist I'm using: https://raw.github.com/v1ld/boss_masterlist_fonv/develop/masterlist.txt (full repo at https://github.com/v1ld/boss_masterlist_fonv if you want history).

This works really well in conjunction with Wrye Flash and its Bashed Patch. So, BOSS handles the load order and the Bashed Patch lets you override that order selectively using BASH tags. This has worked extremely well - examining the results in FNVEdit show all the right bits from the right mods as coming through. For e.g., I have jsawyer loading really early in the process, but with BASH tags of {{Deflst, Delev, Relev, Stats, WeaponMods}} it gets to override, say, weapon changes done by mods later in the load order.

One downside is that Flash hasn't kept up with all of the new stuff, so there's no "Perk" tag, for e.g., which would let you pick which mod wins Perk conflicts w/o having to play silly load order games - but that's the only one I've missed so far. Another, larger downside is the sheer opaqueness of all the Wrye Bash derivatives when you first meet them - there's a lot of power here, but it's hard to understand.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ETPC posted:

Any idea why my use key and the menus would refuse to work after loading up a old saved game with this loadout?

http://pastebin.com/dR4JKq4W

Can't tell if you have Unified HUD installed - it doesn't have an ESP - but it's the closest thing to a healing process for the stuff under Data\menus there is. It wants to be uninstalled/reinstalled after every hud/menu-changing mod you install, so it's worth giving that a shot.

Is Fook compatible with Project Nevada? The latter, at least, modifies the HUD if asked to (Unified HUD handles it).

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Beaumont posted:

I'm planning a new playthrough, and I'm trying to figure out which balance mod plays best with JSawyer. I tried juggling Project Nevada's Rebalance, CCO and JSawyer, which ended up feeling pretty janky

So, what economy mods can you guys recommend?

Puce Moose Tweaks and balance: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35015

jsawyer + CCO + bits of PMT + PN sans Rebalance is what I'm playing and it feels fantastic. CCO handles jsawyer/PN compatibility very nicely. I didn't even try to add PN's Rebalance to that mix.

PMT's Reduced Ammo and Chems is a must-have.

CCO puts a heavy emphasis on Barter - a skill of 100 will still give you a price of 2x base cost and it's 3x at skill 0. If you're running this with a mod that removes/reduces loot, say PMT Reduced World Items, you won't bust the economy easily.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Anyway, Thanksgiving weekend is coming up, so I'll see if I can't whip up some merged patches then.

If you get a chance, would you see if Follower Tweaks breaks Arcade Gannon's sign-up dialog? It could also be NV Uncut - Freeside Open (fantastic mod!) or interaction between the two.

I'd finished all of the Follower of the Apocalypse quests, got the safehouse key, and was Idolized by them but Vilified by the Legion. Yet Arcade would snot offer me any dialog option that'd allow me to get him to follow.

- If I go through the non-Speech recruitment path, I get to where the final "Come with me" line should be, but it's not there. I can, however, ask him his opinion on things and inquire about his background.

- If I get Speech to 75, he says: cool, but let me tell you what I think of Caesar and why I won't consort with anyone who consorts with him. My reply to that is lacking the "no problems with hating the hateful" option - the only line offered is the "well, that's not good, sit here and rot then" line.

I tested that it's not follower count by enlisting Boone into the free slot to verify that it's being counted correctly.

I can't disable Freeside Open, it really wants to be used for a whole run, but I tried disabling Follower Tweaks and associated mods and it then lets me recruit Arcade through the usual dialog. (I re-enabled FT after this and continued - it rocks that CCO allows for that!)

I looked at the mods involved in FNVEdit, but I don't know the dialog system and don't know how best to debug this. LMK if you'd like me to check something, though.

(I've just hit level 16 and taken Magnetic Personality over all the myriad cool Perks avail and it's great fun to run with 3 companions! So much so that I'm now planning a Charisma 10/Intelligence 10/gimped elsewhere "Oh when the Courier and his Cats come marching in" run.)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I had written almost exactly what v1ld posted, but I will say this regarding the hand placed loot plugin: Just use it. I've used it on multiple computers, including laptops, without observing any significant slowdown. Unless you're seriously afraid it's going to murder your computer and then you'll have to buy a new one, you should at least try it out for yourself before concluding it won't work.

I'm the one who complained about the slowdown and I miss that mod a lot. It's very likely the slowdown is caused by bumping up object fade distance or other fuckage on my end - and I've since bumped uGridsToLoad or whatever it is that loads more world in, so that's unlikely to get better. I'm hoping that Cirosan sees another way to do the same thing.

I'd love to try your further reduction tweaks, too: any chance you could release it as a patch mod?

Someone else mentioned (other thread) hearing about problems with Puce Moose's mods - if so, it's a bug not a general trend. Puce Moose's mods are just fantastic and form a trinity with rope kid's and CCO. :colbert:

I'm coming back to FNV, my favorite game, after an extended period with Dark Souls, my favorite game, and Demons Souls, my favorite game. I'm happy to say that with these mods, FNV is still my favorite game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe you're thinking about something in the other thread, but in this thread a few posts above yours I mentioned issues with Puce Moose's Right to Bear Arms mod and Davoren mentioned that Puce Moose's mods might have some sprawl issues, and I think I'm inclined to agree. They're amazing mods, but they don't necessarily play well with others.

Fair enough. I just encountered some Freeside thugs with a ridiculous number of melee weapons on them, which is what you were discussing.

I like how - like CCO and to some extent PN - his tweak and balance ceneter is offered as an a la carte menu - but that's more about giving you control over what you wish to use than how they play with others.

But Right to Bear Arms doesn't give you the option of not hiding the GRA uniques - though I prefer how he's handled it, as he writes well enough to make those notes fun. It's no Electro-City, though, whose conceit in shiny engineers and shiny toolboxes sticks out like a sore thumb (but which I was forced back to using after Simple Street Lights turned out not to like Freeside Open).

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The problem with his GRA mod is that it changes a few box tics from (paraphrasing) "Calculate for every item in list" to "Use all items". Then, when you create a merged patch that includes his GRA mod, FNVEdit sees this change and runs with it, applying it to other mods that have edited those same leveled lists. So you end up with NPCs carrying 4 changes of clothes and 14 weapons.

This is happening with a Bashed Patch, too, for the same reason you cite: the Use All flag is being copied into the Bashed Patch even without any tags on the mod.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What I did was open up his GRA mod in FNVEdit, find where he made the "Use all" changes, and rolled them back to their original settings. No more NPCs carrying tons of guns and armor.

Thanks for the recipe, applied. This is only in the Leveled Lists, right?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

I'm having this problem too, weapons disappearing every now and then. We could be fighting with people and then Victorias weapon would disappear, stopping her from firing.

Likewise. I'm seeing it with all but Veronica in Unarmed mode. Arcade, Boone, and, less occasionally, Cass will all forget how to wield their weapon at times or switch to melee when they have guns with plenty of ammo still available. I also see Boone and Arcade's weapons flicker on and off continually. IIRC, this was present on the console so it seems like a core game problem.

Veronica seems fine in melee mode, however, and is always in the thick of it with the Paladin Toaster.

One of the harder battles in the current run had Arcade peacing out in the midst of a Legion Assassin attack and just walking around. Quite frustrating.

Anyone know of a fix or possible cause?

On a loosely related note, just discovered that jsawyer fixes the Legion Assassin armor lists so you don't need an extra mod for that. Very cool.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Also, right on time to make CCO's merged patches, FNVEdit was updated to a new version at the beginning of the month. :getin:

And again, soon after you posted: FNVEdit 3.0.25 EXPERIMENTAL. They seem busy.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I felt like playing this again, but when I start up FOMM, it crashes and gives me the following crashdump.

Disabling login to nexus fixed it for me, though it's been a long while since I used FOMM. There's also this vid on switching back to FOMM from NMM.

NMM seems stable enough nowadays and I'm using it for the like 6-7 mods that actually use FOMM's scripting, almost all of which are by Gopher.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, its the cyber module. Just a weird little quirk, I probably won't use any of the other SPECIAL modules just in case it applies to them as well.

I'm using the PN cyber implants for IN, PE and AG (along with jsawyer/CCO) and haven't had any problems. I'm not using PN's Rebalance though, if that makes a difference.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

How do I do that?

Don't remember, I'm afraid. It's been a long while since I ran FOMM.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Also, for those of you who have reported followers randomly unequipping and reequipping their weapons, try this patch and see if that resolves the problem.

A quick look at Arcade with this enabled seems to indicate the problem's gone. If so, fantastic (I haven't played any with this fix in place, just loaded up and took a quick look).

A seemingly associated issue was that Arcade and Boone often showed duplicates of their equipped weapon - both of which would be marked as equipped. Only one of these copies would be real in the sense of being movable back to my own inventory. The copy would sometimes not show equipped mods, too.

All of this seems to have cleared up as well: Arcade had two copies of the Multiplas Rifle equipped, but transferring it back and forth shows it as showing up just the once after that.

Thanks much!

I don't have a save pre-Arcade recruitment, so can't test that fix.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Babby's first mod: https://github.com/v1ld/reactive_hud

Only useful if strange coincidence has you using oHud, HUD Extended and Project Nevada's Grenade hotkeys and you don't want to see any of them.

The GECK's brilliant error reporting strategy of stoic silence is infuriating. It knows, but it chooses not to share.

Can it be made to tell you why it won't compile the script?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

There's a place online. What is it supposed to do? hide them? like iHud does? Which I think is in oHud?

iHud lets you hide and show the HUD with explicit commands - for eg., show when the right mouse button is clicked or if the weapon is drawn. It requires actions on your part to show/hide hud elements for all but HP and AP. HP can be auto-shown whenever it falls below a threshold and likewise for AP, whenever it's in use.

This mod extends that reactivity to Primary Needs and Rad count (auto-show when close to debilitating threshold), PN's energy/grenade hud elements (auto-show when in use) and HUD Extended's neat health/armor status graphic (auto-show when condition is below threshold). I'll add the gun condition/ammo graphic soonish (auto-show if condition below threshold or ammo below full capacity).

iHud and its fellow mods are fantastic and I've been using a very minimal, compass and clock only, HUD. I disliked having to explicitly show HUD elements for periodic checks on primary needs values though, hence this mod.

Likewise HUD Extended, which iHud doesn't control at all: I like the limb/armor condition graphic, but don't want it on screen all the time.

Edit: To be very clear, this mod is a very small addition to iHud. All it does is toggle iHud's display condition for various elements in a more reactive fashion - removing the need for you to do it. Likewise for HUD Extended's limb/armor graphic.

E2: Use English.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 28, 2012

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Hey, look! The DLC merged patch for Follower Tweaks is here early!

Also, for those of you who have reported followers randomly unequipping and reequipping their weapons, try this patch and see if that resolves the problem.

Both of these are working well for me, I've had them active for a few hours now. The weapon removal patch is huge. Was this a problem in CCO or the core game?

Having had a chance to play with the GECK, I think it's criminal that there's no facility to export/import mods as text files in a standardized directory tree. So, something like:

code:
MANIFEST
globals
leveled_lists/
  startThingsQuest
scripts/
  startThingsScript
This would facilitate so much:
- It'd be much easier for you to keep merged and un-merged patches in sync.

- How do people co-operate on mods today? Send esps around for manual merging and hope for the best? Ugh, if so. Working on a text tree allows all of the myriad, well-understood version control tools and techniques in use for software elsewhere.

That last would be pretty huge.

I guess FNVEdit could do this, in theory.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Huge in terms of file size or work? File size, yeah, it's big; work involved, very little. The patch adds about 20 characters worth of text to one script and takes all of two minutes to make.

Huge in terms of impact :-)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm having trouble deciding between Project Reality vs. Nevada Skies & Fellout.

Fallout New Vegas Mod Clinic - Part 9 : Nuclear Wasteland shows the visual differences between NSkies and Project Reality pretty well.

I prefer Project Reality's lighting and have used it for most of this run, except for a recent experiment where I tried out NSkies URWLified along with the latest ENB shaders (he's released new and updated versions for New Vegas). I landed up dropping all of that and going back to Project Reality since it has the best lighting and mood for my taste.

URWL has nice light too - I'm now using the URWL Emittor from the Director's Chair mod along with Project Reality.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, they're both superb.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

I'm thinking of doing another playthrough with Project Nevada core, CCO, and the JSawyer mod like the rest of you guys. Should I give the CCO changes precedent in load order or JSawyer's? I mainly want a harder gameplay experience without bullet sponge enemies. Also playing an Energy weapons character this time, if that makes a difference.

Giving CCO precedence but using its tweak item to use JSawyer's base stats values (lower HP/carry weight, for e.g) works well.

I'll skip Project Nevada's Equipment too on a new run: they don't take some of the tweaks into account. You'll need to add DR to its armors, for e.g., or your followers will simply ignore them (DR seems to take precedence when NPCs select armor). Also, PN's gear doesn't benefit from JSawyer's tweaks to equip weights to account for the drastic drop in carry weight.

Here's a tweaked BOSS masterlist that implements the suggested load order in the CCO README. It gives CCO precedence everywhere except for DR - as recommended by the 1.4 README - and handles the load order relative to Project Nevada as well. I haven't had a chance to touch FNV in the last month, so this masterlist doesn't include any changes CCO 1.5 might've made, but I can update this pretty quickly if anyone finds it useful. You can view the change history if you just want to see the load order.

Edit: This masterlist adds the following BASH tags to jsawyer: TAG: {{BASH: Deflst, Delev, Names, Relev, Stats, WeaponMods}}. Consider adding these tags by hand (right click in the Tags windows in the bottom right with jsawyer selected) if you're using Wrye Flash with the default BOSS masterlist: they let the Bashed Patch sort out a lot of the stuff you'd need to use a merged patch for otherwise.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 3, 2013

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

I think I'm having the same issue. Just started with CCO and Jsawyer and my starting carry weight with strength 6 is 120 lb, does that sound right? I want Jsawyer to take precedence.

Sounds almost right. The default carry weight formula would give you 210lbs at ST 6. JSawyer's changes drop the base carry weight in that formula to 50 from 150, so you should see 110 at ST 6. CCO's carry weight formula would have you at 225lbs with ST 6.

I'm not sure where the extra 10 lbs is coming from, but you're definitely seeing JSawyer at work, unless you have yet another mod (other than CCO) modifying carry weight. You can also look at starting HP to confirm since JSawyer drops it to a quarter of the default value.

Edit: initial and default are different words.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 3, 2013

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I kind of want a S.T.A.L.K.E.R like experience in Fallout, where levels mean nothing, and it's all about trying to survive with the huge scarcity of equipment and what not. What mods should I run to make items more important, and scarce?

Puce Moose Tweak and Balance Center has mods to reduce the availability of ammo, etc. Couple it with a mod that makes barter harder - to reduce caps - and you won't be swimming in ammo for a long, long time.

Cirosan's neat CCO changes Barter, for instance. Also throw in the jsawyer mod, because director's cut.

I had to craft .357 almost from the very beginning to be able to do decent damage and never had many caps free with the above. Makes the game far more engaging.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Alright, people who have played with CCO (and I know there are quite a few in this thread), sound off. Does the HP of early level enemies need to be adjusted? Share your thoughts.

I used jsawyer's lowered values for health/carry weight in conjunction with your mod but I'm not sure if that applies to NPCs (does it?). I didn't find the beginning bullet-spongy at all - and this is with your follower damage tweaks active.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

Am I missing something?

The New Vegas Uncut mods are good, especially Freeside Open - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46355 - and Outside Bets - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46648. The latter restores NPCs removed my later patches and DLC and so restores difficulty.

CCO works fine with jsawyer - it's got explicit support for it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

My sincerest gratitude to you all. It's been a fun ride.

Thanks for all your hard work! There's no way I can play this game without your mod and jsawyer. Good luck with your game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

How well does Tale of two Wastelands work if you want to use a bunch of F:NV overhauls for Fallout 3? CCO + jsawyer + PMT, mainly. The perks from CCO/jsawyer and CCO's follower changes are the big changes I'd like to have, along with DT - also, while I don't plan to enter the Mpjave, can FNV followers come to DC?

The alternative is F3 + FWE + IMCN for hardcore mode + ??

Basically, I never made it very much beyond GNR ever, but now I want to play it like Skyrim, where I'm just wandering around until you find the next fort/cave/tower and do stuff without worrying about people and plots but just enjoy the superbly crafted geography. This has been a blast with SPERG to overhaul perks/leveling and Frostfall to make travel in cold areas challenging. Can CCO + jsawyer do that for F3, maybe with some scarcity mods sprinkled on top?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cool, sounds like it's very playable and I should run with the FNV followers. Thanks for the feedback/tips. TTW 2.0a will be out soon and will be more stable but is savegame incompatible with earlier versions, so I'll wait for that.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Could anyone tell me if they would recommend Freeside Restoration?

Huh, didn't know that was a thing so can't comment either way. Freeside Open is very good and restores Freeside to being a single zone again, if that's you're looking for. The same author's Outside Bets mod is good, too.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Smol posted:

Difficulty doesn't do anything to HP. It modifies the damage you do to enemies and the damage enemies do to you.

Difficulty - Your Damage - Enemy damage
Very Easy - 200% - 50%
Easy - 150% - 75%
Normal - 100 % - 100%
Hard - 75% - 150%
Very Hard - 50% - 200%

Edit: VV That's true. Not sure which way it goes, and too lazy to check, but the damage formula is floating around somewhere in the wikis.

Puce Moose Tweaks has an esp - PMT Very Hard Damage Adjustment - that changes Very hard to where you still do 100% damage to remove that spongy feeling, but enemies do 250%. Or you can tweak those settings yourself: fDiffMultHPByPCVH / fDiffMultHPToPCVH, set the former to 1 and you do 100% damage.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I also like project reality but I can see how it might cause performance issues. It used to cause me problems on my old machine unless I disabled heat haze.

This. And there's reputedly a bug where it can toggle back on behind the scenes but doesn't show as such in the MCM menu. Toggling heat haze on and off periodically is a good thing.

I haven't run newer Nevada Skies, but did run the URWL variant with settings taken from here on an underpowered laptop: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40179. Looked pretty good on the whole.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the worst problem with weather mods is the lack of a genuinely decent lighting system. Love or hate Skyrim's "Creation" engine, at least it can do shadows and allow modders to generate some pretty weather and environments. Most weather mods in Fallout give things a weird, flat lighting, or clear up the vista so you can see the jittering of low-resolution LOD textures. There's a part of me that really wishes New Vegas was built on the Creation engine so we could do away with the floaty controls and ugly lighting.

Agreed. Better lighting would improve weather a lot.

The ENB guy has released a version for FO3/FNV that can do shadows to some extent. I haven't tried it, see thread here: http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1832. The Detailed Shadows code in ENB isn't anywhere near as expensive as the myriad other features present in it, so this is worth checking out for the shadows alone.

I use an ENB present for Skyrim that has just Shadows and Ambient Occlusion enabled, all other post-processing is disabled, and use it along with Project Reality/Climates of Tamriel. The two work well together there. Link if someone wants to try the same for FNV.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

JonathonSpectre posted:

Anyone want to recommend me just 2-3 mods to go with JSawyer? I am getting ready to play through the game modded for the first time and there's so many in the OP I just kind of shrink into a ball and rock back and forth keening.

Cirosan's Classic Overhaul

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Is there someway to get wrye flash working with the more recent Mod Organizer releases? I've tried making a bat file ("C:\Python27\pythonw.exe "C:\blah\Mopy\Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw") and pointing MO toward that, but all I receive if a blip of the command line window and then nothing. Trying playing with Python33, and that is 64 bit, which MO spits back an error about not being able to inject dlls into 64 bit executables, so I'm doing SOMETHING correctly, I'm just not sure where I am going wrong.

I've gotten it to work using the debug mode bat file that comes with wrye flash. Just remove the "-d" flag from the line where flash is launched so it doesn't do debug mode after all.

MO seems to work fine except when it comes to installing Unified Hud where its internal fomod installer bugs out. There's a bunch of interface mods that all work better with uHud managing them, so this is painful. Is there a workaround short of going back to flash + FOMM to manage my mods again?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Following up on whether it's possible to run NMM from within Mod Organizer: MO runs in 32-bit mode since the game itself does that. NMM installs its 64-bit version if it detects 64-bit support and that prevents MO from injecting itself into NMM. So no NMM from MO until the NMM installer lets you pick the 32-bit version at install.

Workaround: The (old) FoMM for New Vegas is still a 32-bit application and runs fine when launched from MO. Use it for mods like uHud, weapon animation replacers that need FOMOD scripts to work.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FO3 modding stuff since that thread is dead and also since it's this thread that got me interested in trying FO3 with FWE in the first place.

I'm playing through FO3 with FWE+MMM for the first time and I have to say it's a lot of fun. I never did get far in the vanilla game, Rivet City was it, and this is a completely different and superior experience when it comes to combat and survival. The decreased ammo drops + increased ammo prices, increased damage all around, bullet time instead of VATs, combined with lots of small detail (gun sway, limb damage, etc.) gives combat a very different, threatening, and more visceral feel. More FPSy, with a Metro-very-lite ofuckdoihavetheammoandrightweaponstosurvive feel.

The FWE-added bullet-time/AP-regen-rate perks are pretty important if you're playing it as a bullet-time FPS without VATS so Endurance becomes an important attribute again, leading to more varied builds than vanilla.

After NV, I'm surprised at how few mods it takes to get to a stable load out worth playing - FWE covers most of the gameplay changes by itself. Add in RH_IronSights, EVE, WMK, DarnUI, CASM, NMCs texture pack, along with FOIP+Blackened to cover compatibility and it was mostly done.

Project Reality and the brilliant new Vurt's Flora Overhaul for FO3 give the place a bleak, unforgiving look. Vurt's does more than improve the looks, since the decreased visibility due to the increased vegetation keeps you on your toes as you explore outdoors, especially with MMM's increased spawns active.

Many of the inane quests and characters remain, but the survival/combat experience is a lot of fun with FWE+MMM and the game can be played for that alone.

This has got me wanting to replay NV without CCO/jsawyer for a change and instead do a pure Project Nevada run with the FWE-esque preset from Project Nevada - Extra Options. That mod also includes an efficient implementation of the reduced world items plugins from Puce Moose: Unfound Loot.

e: ENB v237 works well with FO3 (even with AMD 7xxx cards!) if you want to add Detailed Shadows and Ambient Occlusion to make the setting even darker. If you don't want any effects beyond having shadows, use the vanilla 237 distribution, uncomment #define APPLYGAMECOLORCORRECTION in enbeffects.fx and set UseOriginalPostProcessing=true in enbseries.ini. Works a treat so far. Leave UseOriginalObjectsProcessing=false or you'll get weird transparency glitches. I've also enabled all the memory-freeing ENBoost stuff with no apparent ill-effects or crashes in a few hours of play.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 19, 2013

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I've been slowly setting up a new modded game of Fallout: New Vegas recently with ModOrganizer, but I need some help: I remember a goon had set up a really helpful post with instructions on how to import a UI mod setup, but I can't find it for the life of me. Can someone explain to me how to do that without having to manually install all the separate mods and then made the xml edits? I did that once and it was a pain and egregiously difficult to troubleshoot, so I'd prefer to avoid that experience.

TL;DR: launch FOMM (not NMM) from MO and use Unified HUD from there.

You need Unified HUD (get One HUD and Darnified UI too) to manage all the mods that want to muck with the interface XML. You have to deactivate/reactive uHUD each time you install such a mod and uHUD's FOMOD installer scripts will munge all that XML into shape.

Unfortunately, uHUD installation/activation needs to be done with NMM/FOMM as MO's FOMOD support isn't good enough yet. MO doesn't work with NMM (64-bit program), so download and use FOMM instead. I verified this works fine: MO for most mods, all interface and other FOMOD-script-heavy mods in FOMM (Weapon Animation Replacer is another such).

E: To be clear, all interface-modifying mods or even all FOMOD-heavy mods don't have to be installed with FOMM. Just those that MO can't handle.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 22, 2013

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ZombyWoof posted:

Are there problems with the latest AMD drivers? Since updating to the latest branches of drivers (13.11/12?) I've had a nightmare of a time with my New Vegas installation. I'm using a plethora of mods which aren't the issue, but getting either ENB or SweetFX working on their own or in tandem seems to be impossible.

Yeah, there were issues with ENB and AMD drivers - but the problem goes away with the latest AMD beta drivers and ENB 237. I'm using that combination with FO3 successfully right now and briefly tried it against FNV a few weeks ago.

If you're using a preset that won't work with the latest 0.237, you'll need to go very far back (0.17x?) to get one that will. I'm only using it for Detailed Shadows/AO/ENBoost and not with anyone's preset.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

This is gonna sound demanding of me but is there any way to play NV in Borderless Windows?

There's a mod for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

habanero walrus posted:

I actually really like MO and have been able to use it just fine. The only problem is that it makes installing UI mods a huge pain. I ended up installing them all through NMM, running uHUD, grabbing the files generated by uHUD, zipping them up, and installing them as a mod in MO. Sane people would probably just leave them installed through NMM, but I really wanted to keep my install folder clean for some autistic reason.

EDIT: That being said, if you know an easier way to do this through MO, let me know! The problem is that the uHUD fomod doesn't see the other mods in the data directory because of MO so it can't generate the files based on what you have installed. You have to do the same thing with Project Nevada Extra Options because the fomod won't let you install one of the modules (I don't remember which) if it doesn't see one of the regular PN modules.

While NMM won't run from MO, FOMM will. So add a launcher to MO for FOMM and activate/deactivate uHUD from there. This works fine.

FOMM runs from MO because it's 32-bit - MO can't handle 64-bit programs. I posted a bug report on the Nexus requesting we be allowed to install NMM 32-bit, but that seems to have gone into the ether.