Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I have a theory that the quality of a shoujo manga is inversely proportional to the number of times the heroine gets rescued from rapists by a love interest. Can anyone name an exception to this rule?

Also, I started on Kimi Ni Todoke and it is pretty enjoyable so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I hate Fushigi Yuugi. The entire thing just infuriates me for some reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Gokusen pretty much owns. It is obviously aimed jousei but there's enough comedy and action that most people would probably enjoy it.

Gokusen was great until it got mired in romance. It was really too bad, because every other aspect (aside from perhaps the art) was excellent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pandabear posted:

Gakuen Alice
http://somemangas.com/manga/Gakuen_Alice/
This is a pretty popular series, so it might be redundant to add it, but whatevs. A pretty comedic story about an elementary school girl who goes to a school for kids with special powers. However, there is a dark conspiracy in the school in how their powers are used. I kinda think of it as a Japanese girly Harry Potter, in that the author has loads of fun creating different and unique powers for each kid, along with "magical" inventions that they can buy and use. However, the series does get darker as it goes on, and pretty melodramatic in its latest chapters. But it starts out really fun, so check it out.

I liked Gakuen Alice at first. However, it later became all about romance between 12 year olds. That is the absolute dullest subject known to man, and I cannot stand it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wouldn't know, because I dropped it a while back. Life is too short to continue reading something you loathe for the sake of finishing it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Before this thread was around the shounen thread was used for shoujo and josei too. It doesn't really matter if there is some overlap. Anyone who wants a seinen thread can just make one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chelsea clinton posted:

Chapter 31 is messed up, though. There are several pages that are replaced with multiples of one page. My stooriees :qq:

That's a common problem with somemanga. Just read it on a different site.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

buzmeg posted:

Tell that to the Rumiko Takahashi fans ...

It seems like very good advice for Rumiko Takahashi fans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've been reading through Tokyo Crazy Paradise, but every time they awkwardly use a japanese word instead of translating it makes me laugh harder than any of the actual content.

Gaki alone is pretty amusing, but every time they talk about the kagi I start laughing far more than is warranted.

Also, it needs to loving stop with the older men and 14 year old girls already.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ahahaha, this is so badly written and creepy. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/zutto_suki_datta_kuse_ni/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wow, this was loving terrible. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/skip_beat/v29/c172/1.html

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The anime is probably better than the manga, considering that it actually ended before it had a chance to get terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/show_princess/

This has the best description of any shoujo manga ever made. I don't think I'll actually read it, because it could never live up to my expectations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well now, I have apparently read the finest work of poetry mankind will ever produce. I'm not going to bother reading the manwha, though. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/taming_the_cat_master/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The thing is, for all intents and purposes Rin was Daikichi's daughter. That was how they both saw each other. Indeed, it was the basis for their entire relationship for most of Rin's life.

Maybe if Rin had had a mother figure (like Kouki's mom) she wouldn't have gotten so hosed up in the head. So really, the true villain of Usagi Drop is Kouki's mom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tae posted:

Despite only having 6 chapters, I really like Trinity Seven.

The main character is refreshing in that he's so calm yet snarky. And everyone else is so chillax about the topic of perverted stuff (Except Lilith, which is hilarious because she's the only person doing this)

edit: It's Love Hina level of ecchi I guess, but the main character's lack of :supaburn: to it tones it down.

Dude accidentally recreates his hometown that was destroyed. Then chapter 2 comes along, and they get rid of all that in favor of a high school setting. It is like the guy had a halfway decent idea for a manga, then decided to go for the proven (wretched) standard formula of harem manga.

Also, how is that even remotely shoujo?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tae posted:

Oh, I thought this was all romance stuff. Sorry about that.

Well, I guess it is technically romance. Still, harem love comedies aren't generally considered as such. Because, well, the emphasis is on fanservice more than any aspect of the plot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mayonnaise? How would that even work?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh god, I can't stop laughing at this description. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/sakura_zensen/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
...huh?

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/neko_mix_genkitan_toraji/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I recently read through the available chapters of a manga called Yandere Kanojo. It's about a deliquent girl who falls in love with a normal guy, but has to hide their relationship keep her reputation intact. If that sounds like Onidere to you, that's because it's pretty much the same. Except for me personally, I dropped Onidere after a couple of chapters while I found this to be pretty endearing. It's not all dawwwwww but there are a lot of good moments.

Yandere Kanojo constantly tries and fails to be funny, but gets better when it goes for the drama or saccharine romance. Onidere constantly tries and frequently succeeds at being funny, but the handful of times it tries to be serious aren't worth mentioning.

Really though, aside from the basic premise they aren't even the same genre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wasn't please save my earth the one where the girl ends up with a 12 year old boy?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

coathat posted:

Thats not shoujo mate.

New 14 Sai no Koi. This little mini arc has been pretty cute and funny.

I'd say it is a bit of a stretch to call it romance, even.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skychrono posted:

Thanks! I read the first chapter and it seemed pretty great. I'll pick it up on the next Viz sale.

How's Please Save My Earth?

Is that the one where the main romance is between a girl in high school and a boy in elementary school?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yaaaayyyyy. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bonnouji/Bonnouji-027?id=160421

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Baron Snow posted:

KnT: Pretty sure he's yelling at his son. The question is Why?

Isn't it obvious? His dad wants him to go to college.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, it's even more depressing once you realize that a lot of readers probably did want it.

Who the hell reads a heartwarming single dad manga and then thinks "You know what? This should be more like tale of genji."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I dropped Skip Beat when Ren started treating Kyoko like a possession. Poor girl is never gonna get away from 8 foot tall walking stick assholes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blhue posted:

You've described 70% of shoujo right there.

I know. She isn't going to get away from them because she is in a shoujo manga. Even if Skip Beat ditched the two current dickbags, there would always be more 8 foot tall walking stick assholes to take their place. Kyoko being the star of her own life is unthinkable because of the genre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

The side chapter is kind of a prequel to that other series Mors Rattus mentioned, Game Over

Edit. I've been around plenty of fourteen year old boys. I was even one myself for about a year. I have no idea how anyone, especially an adult, would ever want to date a fourteen year old boy. Mostly I just end up wanting to punch them.

Teenage girls are also completely insufferable, but they get idealized all the time. Same thing, really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In Koi Dano Ai Dano, the guy does eventually realize that he is being a creep and cuts back on it. He is still clingy and obsessive, but he stops trying to molest and control her. It is worth reading for that alone- shoujo never loving acknowledges how bad that sort of behavior is. However, the manga is in kind of a dull place right now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Everything about 14-sai is great except for that drat thing with the teacher. Too bad it seems to have taken up half of the manga now. It isn't forbidden love or anything like that, it is just an adult abusing her position to play with a child.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nozaki tries to make fun of shoujo manga on two different levels and succeeds admirably.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ryas posted:

Nozaki deserves its own thread. The manga is funny and cute and the adaptation loses none of that. It's really good.

Good thing it has one, then.

Edit: Huh, could have sworn it had a thread. Whoops!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Compendium posted:

Does anyone here read March Comes in Like a Lion by Chica Umino? Haven't seen it mentioned here, but decided to bring it up again if it's been a while. While I loved Honey & Clover (the ending felt unsatisfying though), there's something about this manga I like a little better.

Unlike H&C, it seems like most of the cast might end up doing okay eventually. The sister is obviously going to gently caress up everything she can on her way down, but the root of her issues are so incredibly clear that I can't quite hate her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So she has a nasty temper, beats up her boyfriend and then tries to make him think it is his fault. Miyamura needs to get the gently caress out of that situation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hori snaps very easily. It seems that her father used to bear the brunt of it, which says a lot about the likely origin of that behavior. You could also read her killer massages as being the result of a lack of empathy, but that's probably a bit too harsh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

When the jokey tone is removed and there's actual lingering damage not just cartoonish instant recovery Hori's violence is a little disturbing. :stare: I still liked the resolution of that chapter because they both had to work against their natural inclination and got some positive growth out of it.

I did like how their friends encouraged both of them to do the right thing. If Miyamura had automatically apologized when he did nothing wrong that would have been kind of a dark turn for the story to take.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tonari no kaibutsu was kind of amazing because both of the leads had enormous piles of personal issues, but they gradually worked through them together and became better people in the process. The difference is that in TnK, they communicated with each other even though it was very difficult. In Horimiya, Hori saw nothing wrong with her behavior even though she regretted it. She certainly isn't going to talk it over with Miyamura, and likewise he won't ever confront her if he has a problem with something she does. I guess it is just kind of sad that the profoundly damaged Haru and Shizuku could learn and grow but the comparatively sane Hori and Miyamura likely never will. Oh well, that's what comes from comparing works by different authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

organism posted:

Some author is going to make a fortune writing a manga that shows real consequences of ridiculous tropes. Like, guy accidentally walks in on a girl in her underwear, girl screams and hits him, guy falls over and cracks his head on a table and bleeds out on the floor, girl goes to jail for manslaughter. Or, magical girl shows up naked in guy's bed and immediately falls in love with him for no reason and guy proceeds to take the week off school for an epic sex marathon. Or a person confesses their feelings to a friend of the same gender and friend says "yeah, just because I like you as a person doesn't mean that translates into sexual attraction".

Knights of Sidonia. Yes, really. That's not the primary focus at all, but it kind of takes the piss out of manga cliches sometimes. In fact, one of your examples appears in an early chapter.