Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

AxeManiac posted:

Just because Eric is a horrible twisted mess of a human being physically doesn't mean you should hate him, hate him because he is a twisted and horrible human on the inside.

I hate him because he's incredibly loving boring. Like Howard said today "God, he's just so DULL" - or something to that effect. Like a robot voice. He's the radio equivalent of a Saltine cracker.

Beetlejuice and Bigfoot are twisted messes of humanity but make for far more entertaining and lively radio. I miss Kenneth Keith as far as human train wrecks go.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So Howard works, what, 12 hours a week now? And Sirius wants to up their rates? I can hear all the "best of" stuff I want on YouTube.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Listening to these whack pack reruns, it seems clear to me that the best thing for the show would be to book more weirdos. Those were always my favorite segments. A few more genuine freaks and a little less Richard Belzer and people like that would really liven things up. The comic con nerd interviews are more interesting than most of the guests.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This Whackpack Strikes Back retrospective this week has been loving fantastic. I never knew the nerdy dude from MTV and American Splendor auditioned for the show. Never knew he was so openly gay either.

Still hoping for some Kenneth Keith this week. If he's been on, I've missed it. He's always been my favorite whack packer. Maybe just because I'm from Delaware.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Burden posted:

I forgot how funny Bigfoots first appearance was it is. Artie just dying in the background was killing me it is. I had to stay the whole bit. God great radio.

"Luke, I am your father it is."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That Ronnie the Limo Driver hypnotism sketch had me loving rolling. I really want to believe it was real and that Ronnie's gonna be uber pissed off about it. Someone help me out and tell me it wasn't a set up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Weird to see Stern on the front page of several news sites this week for his Trump comments.

I listen at work at several people have asked me "is he still even on the air?" The large majority of people have no idea he still does a show which is a shame because I think that, by and large, the switch to Sirius XM has made the show better. Listening to them do what they do uncensored just has a better, more natural flow to it and allows for crazier material overall.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

You guys were talking about Bigfoot. He was one of my favorite wackpackers. I remember one time I was in Mobile, Alabama and I saw Bigfoot at the Killers of Comedy show that night. The great thing about him was that he was a man of the people. We went to a bar afterwards and he was drinking beer with us. We went into the bathroom and I sucked his cock. It was huge. The guy was just a real good sport and all that poo poo. I loved him.

Big pecker too man, he face hosed me like a wild animal it is.

I sucked his cock, it is.

I've been poking around a lot of the older stuff lately and I forgot how much I loved Kenneth Keith Kallenbach. Did anyone ever figure out the story behind his death and the charges he was brought up on? I think his mom was suing the jail or something and apparently the charges were like sex with a minor, which I could definitely see happening. If I remember right he died before trial but I never found out the whole story.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Actually, come to think of it, don't most comedians do this? I know it was a big deal when Seinfeld 'told us for the last time', where he went through old bits literally for the last time, but if you're a comedian, don't you HAVE to do throw out all of your old stuff?

I used to really dislike Dave Attell because he kept doing the Amish sex and beer nipples bits, but at least he's gotten past that, and it pretty entertaining on the HSS.

They do and it sucks.

I HATE going to see a comedian do stuff off an album or from a special I already heard. I saw an interesting discussion about it on an HBO special where it was Louis CK, Seinfeld, Rock and Gervais and they were split on the idea of doing old bits. I went to see Stephen Wright and it was all stuff I'd heard before.

Comedy's not like music though in the sense that the law of diminishing returns is hastened with humor. It's kind of the opposite to music, actually, where at a rock show fewer people want to hear the new stuff.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've often heard that the essence of humour, at its core, is surprise.

Doesn't 'surprise' me that hearing old bits doesn't have the same punch to it, if that's true.

I think this is true. Surprise is huge in delivering a clever punch line. Every time you listen to a comedy album it gets less and less funny. With music, even though you can get tired of certain songs, it seems to work in reverse and the more familiar you get with a song the more you like it and want to hear it again. Having it grow old takes much much longer. Like I still get chills when I hear "Gimme Shelter" or "When Doves Cry" but "Satisfaction" and "Purple Rain" not so much.

This probably doesn't belong in this thread but I've always felt that horror and comedy rely on the surprise factor, where once you've seen or heard it it's not scary or funny anymore and suffers from diminishing returns more than drama. This is born out when you stop and think about how cool it is and how much funnier and scarier it is to listen to comedy or watch a horror movie with someone who's never heard or seen it before.

The best punch lines are the ones that catch you off guard. Same with really great scares. I think the two are intertwined; fear and humor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

As long as Artie shows up and does his job he'll likely continue being a part of that show.

"He, Gar, I'm not comin today. I can't stop pukin and shittin...Sorry"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I bet Artie went to his dealer, snorted some on the drive back home and forgot that he left his stash in the car.

Here's you explanation right here.

Also nthing the notion that the first few years of Sirius with Artie in tow were peak Stern. hIt wasn't just the fact they were allowed to curse and that they were 100% uncensored with the gloves were in and of itself, but the fact that it allowed everyone to talk they normally would and talk more honestly about poo poo they did. Artie was a really great foil, way more so than Robin and had really really good comedic timing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not sure why anyone cares if Robin is in studio or not either and I don't think it's hypocritical for the show not to address it. Seems to me it would be a personal private matter and the SHE would be the one setting the terms. If she's ill, she probably wants to keep it private and continue to work as best she can.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Both sets of my grandparents did this and it failed. All of them were well off financially but just thought they could do it on their own.

in 1990 my grandmother developer Alzheimer's so my grandfather thought he could deal with it. Nope. He couldn't leave the house to go shopping because she was a danger to herself. He finally hired someone to come in a few days a week, which helped, but he still had to help her at night with bathing, the bathroom, etc. Eventually he ended up sick (cancer) and they went to a home.

My other grandfather fell in the garage and broke a hip and laid there for a few hours because no one could near him call for help. He died of other complications a month or so later. This left my Grandmother at home along for a few years until SHE fell and broke her hip. Then she broke the other one Then she fell again. That was enough to convince her move into assisted living.

I also had a Grand Aunt that spent the night in the bathtub after slipping and breaking her hip.

Those first few Sopranos episodes are almost too perfect in how they describe what its like to deal with moving aging parents out of the home they've lived in for decades.

Dealing with this now.

My Mom is bipolar, broke, has cancer and emphysema and was just committed to a mental hospital for suicidal ideations. I recently moved her in with me but after 6 months I am realizing her problems are beyond my capabilities to handle and I can't have her back here. I have a 6 year old and worried about his safety and mental health. I don't have a ton of money either but I imagine if I did it would go a long way towards helping with the entire inconvenience of it all if nothing else.

This post has absolutely nothing to do with Howard Stern beyond that last part. For people with health issues and the families that care for them, money is an absolutely HUGE factor in so many ways. Howard at least doesn't have to make decisions or feel extra pressures based on his financial capabilities. I mean, he doesn't HAVE to work to pay medical bills or facility and care costs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

WAH MY MOM HAS SEVERAL SERIOUS ILLNESSES AND REQUIRES CONSTANT CAR WAH

Yeah why don't you go get hosed. Last night she slit her wrists and overdosed; I'm sure in no small part due to her financial situation and cancer diagnosis

I had to Google "how to clean blood out of a carpet" for the first time ever.

Sorry for sharing a problem I had and tangentially relating it to thread after my stream of consciousness sort of took over for a moment, you loving dick. But good job making fun of me there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Hooo, the show used to be insanely unfunny at times. Just heard an old clip of Howard and Billy imitating a deaf guy during Robin's news and it went on way, way too long. Not even because it was insensitive, it just wasn't funny.

The "Popcorn Lung" poo poo from the last few days falls into this category.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

"doo"

Also holy poo poo I was bouncing around YouTube and stumbled on the beetlejuice song controversy and this loving album cover had me rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYyKUvDk7-g

The Beetles. All of the covers of this song were hilarious and the whole trilogy is worth a listen.

What ever happened to Beetle anyway? I miss poo poo like this. I like the show, such as it is. It's better than most radio and helps me pass the time at work but I miss the weirdos. Bigfoot, Kenneth Keith, Hank, vomit guy...Howard should reassemble a new Wack Pack it is.

What's Angry Political Guy's deal? Is he just a podcaster who's only calls are from Stern fans? I'm starting to think it's fake but holy poo poo it's funny. Who impersonates him?

Jesus I'm all over the place. That's what I get for starting to drink early.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Who gives a poo poo about when or how Howard met Beth and his personal life? I don't.

His strength and the reason I sill listen to him is his bravery, his capacity to speak truth to power, call out hypocrisy, his general basic sense of honesty, his willingness to poke fun at himself and make himself vulnerable and his ability to do really great interviews. Over the last two or three weeks, even if the people he interviewed weren't all that interesting, you can tell he does his homework and his research before the guest comes on, which is still more that I can say of like 90% of professional journalists.

I also still find him and his show to be mostly funny so I'll take it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Moniker posted:

Because I don't care, that means no one can talk about it!

True. I just don't find it very interesting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

At this point he probably had a nose infection that spread, and in treating him for that doctors opened a junkie's Pandora box.

Somebody posted a recent photo about 10 pages back showing his nose looking all hosed up but I can't find it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

Actually this got me thinking. Howard is usually pretty open about sex, but has he ever talked about performing oral sex on a woman?

He may have, but I don't remember any examples.

He's an incredible germaphobe in general so I can see where a vagina might freak him out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I enjoyed that Navy Seal interview from Tuesday but can't find the entire thing. For some reason, the uploads omit large sections of Tuesday's show. Can anyone point me to the whole segment or that not allowed?

edit: These Kaitlyn Jenner bits are getting annoying.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 20, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

burmart posted:

Does anyone know if they're going to put the Guns n Roses concert from last night up on Sirius On Demand? If not, can someone PM me if they know where I can get it?

I was curious also. I'll PM you if I can find it, Still looking for that Navy Seal goy interview too. And what constitutes "Guns n Roses" as a band anymore even ? Is it just Axl and a bunch of other guys because Slash is mostly the whole thing to me. I suppose I could search for it.

Lifespan posted:

The Guns n Roses trivia bit was terrible until they started getting weird.

The superfan dude who started off losing and who they pranked with a fake Slash call was an insufferable douchebag. The asian pete poo poo was funny. I actually got 3 right (Patience, Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JB50 posted:

I think slash was there playing at that concert dood.

Yup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NZvJvRoaek

Well right on then.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was bouncing around some Mike Judge stuff on Youtube and this interview popped up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xV9uJt0KJs

I'd never heard it before and enjoyed it a lot, especially Richard. Weird to know that Judge is a conservative.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wait, there's actually a developed working relationship between Sirius and Sonos? Ha, I love that :allears:

I misread that as "Soros" twice and wondered wtf was going on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, Howard takes a poo poo ton of time off any more. Not that I blame him but drat.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Seaside Loafer posted:

Whats Howard been saying about Trump over the past few weeks? (if anything)

He seems to be have been on vacation 2 of the last 3. Overall, I don't think he likes Trump but he doesn't gently caress with the topic too much for whatever reason except during news.

I saw a weird clip from the 90's where he was sniffing Jenna Jameson's underwear and it creeped me the gently caress out. Not a high point for the show. Then I saw a recent picture of Jenna Jameson and got creeped out even more.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Laughing my rear end off at Howard getting pissed at his employees this week and callers rightfully calling him out. Stern was being an rear end in a top hat because people who work for him have opportunities to do other things sometimes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

Doesn't HPE live in a flop house with a shared dorm-style bathroom? In that case I imagine they are piss bottles since he's probably too loving lazy to walk down to the bathroom.

I think that's right. He lived in the same building as Joey Boots, right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

rear end treeks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I can't stand ETM stuff. He's just so god damned annoying to listen to, like that gravelly voiced sports talk guy, where no matter what he's saying I just can't take the delivery I guess. I know I'm in the minority on the Eric stuff though but that little poo poo just used to drive me to the point of distraction and I found it unpleasant.

Howard's stupid eclipse rants were bothering me this week too. Like it's crazy for someone to want to see something naturally spectacular and singularly unique within their lifetime. He sounded like a cranky old poo poo and he wouldn't shut the gently caress about it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

cumshitter posted:

Eric is my favorite whack packer too, I don't get the hate.

Hate? I think most people love ETM stuff. I feel like I'm in well in the minority for not liking it. I just can't take the loving voice, like Pharell, Fran Drescher and Rosie Perez.

I like Beet, Bigfoot and Kenneth Keith more than any of them. I listen to the Best of Beetle stuff all the time, because he's bad as can and he knows he's the best.

He's big. And he's strong. And He knows what he knows.

He gets better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bonzo posted:

My new thing is reading Trumps tweets in Eric's voice.

Holy poo poo. This actually works.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

Eric the ungrateful shitcock never scammed limo drivers and restaurants. He never got away with vehicular homicide. He never did whatever it is that makes me hate rear end Napkin Ed and Debbie the pet lady so much. He just wanted to be loved by an American Idol. Is that so wrong?

What?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BobbyK posted:

That was really bad

I've heard worse. Most of his problem has to with pacing and letting his material breathe a little bit. That and his act is recycled and stale but I could see it working with a better delivery. He needs to slow down a bit but that was nothing close to a bomb.

You wanna see some lovely comedy go to an open mic night.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lifespan posted:

It's too bad Artie has become such a self destructive and selfish mess, because I thought that Hot Ones interview was hilarious. He still has it, he just covers it up under his pity party and paper-thin machismo thing. It's too bad things really fell apart, because he would be such an incredible Stern guest now.

Become?

Artie's always been funny and has always been a mess. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Now Sean Evans just has to interview Beetlejuice who is probably impervious to hot sauce.

Who me? Yeah I drink a gallon o' hot sauce all the time, baby. hehehehe...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Howard once threw a hissy fit over his hot water because they were boiling it on a hot plate instead of the microwave. He insisted the microwave was better because of something it did to the molecules that the hot plate didn't. Like dude didn't know boiling water is boiling water.

My Mom used to bitch about this poo poo when I made tea for her and swore that boiling water in a kettle was different from boiling water in a microwave. Annoying.

Was really let down with the Robert Plant interview. Howard is usually really good interviewing people but, man, Plant was right. So many silly questions. Howard seemed intimidated and the interview sort of sucked. Which bummed me out because I love Led Zep and Stern and was really looking forward to it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm one of the few that always loathed the ETM segments. Dude was just impossibly annoying to listen to, which I know is the point, but he just grated on me. Like that Scott Farrell dude that does that sportstalk show.

My least favorite wack packer. Less ETM more Bigfoot, Hank, Kenneth Keith and Beetle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

god drat