Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

chiz posted:

Patrice sounded like a good dude, what a shame.

Nick and Patrice were definitely two sides of the same coin. They're both pitbullish and unafraid to say things that were (god help me) politically incorrect, and I'd say they agree way more than they don't. Patrice is actually way more sexist than Nick, which is saying something. I always got a kick out of their friendship. I think they could have done a brilliant remake of "The Defiant Ones".

I like Nick's story about seeing Patrice after a doctor's visit. Nick asks how it went and Patrice tells him "Man, I got 8 of the 10 things that kill niggas!".

Listen to the "WTF" episode with Patrice. He's a fascinating and maddening individual. I'm gonna miss seeing the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Beth has her own driver? What the hell?

Why are you surprised that the wife of someone worth hundreds of millions of dollars has her own driver? Did you think she took the bus?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

Nick is a pretty gross dude, if his whole "What is your problem black people and women, get over it" bit is a bit, it isn't funny and if he believes it, he is pretty stupid.

I agree with him a bit on how everyone is over sensitive and all that, but god drat, this dude sounds like a pissed off white caveman.

If a highschool football game is cancelled because 16 players got hypothermia, you just know how the people cancelling the game voted, and it's why he votes the way he votes. They're not kids, they're men! These are the last days of Rome, people!

The guy is seriously one of the best club comics you'll ever see, but he's dumb as hell when it comes to politics. I don't mean because he's a conservative or anything, he's just dumb about it and can't seem to explain his point of view very well.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

POCKET CHOMP posted:

There have been a few cases where they were messed up or incomplete. I think way back at the beginning there was some sort of glitch where like the show itself when it was being broadcast live messed up, and so the "hour 3" or something was like 6 minutes long. But there have been other times where it's just not perfect and I recall that there was one show that was missing a certain hour forever, I eventually gave up on them adding it and just moved on.

The hours with the great Bobby Slayton interview where he curses up a storm and the Hank Williams interview weren't put up. I just assumed it was for some stupid legal reason or another, but the Williams interview is up in the clips section. There've been a couple other spots here and there early on, maybe like 5 total.

I'm sure he's fine, but does anyone else get nervous when Artie gets groggy on the show?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

I can't fault Howard for checking out, enjoy life dude, but let the staff keep going, sit back and let them run the show or something, get another Artie. You deserve to go out like a king, the king of all media.

It's a good loving point. It really is. I haven't listened to the show outside of a few things on youtube here and there for over a year, and I used to be a dyed in the wool goddamned Stern apologist. It really makes me sad that there's a Stern show being broadcast that I have absolutely zero interest in, because the guy really is (was) that good.

As much as he thinks Sal and Richard retardation isn't funny, it is. And for god's sake, let someone, anyone with a lick of goddamn talent sit in the Artie chair. A lot of people are against it, but I'd honest to god most likely re-up if Jackie was back in the saddle. Something has to cut through how boring the show has become.

gently caress it, bring John back. And I loving hate Stuttering John.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

"I'm sorry I made a joke about Tim Tebow being the Anti-Christ. Maybe everytime a wide receiver gets pulled over we don't have to go into Obama Care."

God bless Artie Lange.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Vakal posted:

Be sure to listen to Artie's monologue about Christie near the end of Hour 3 on Monday's show if you haven't already. It's glorious.

His Bill Curtis schtick about Rick Santorum's dead baby was one of the funniest things I've heard in a very long time.

The short message that came from behind the prison walls was chilling. It simply said "kill a cop"...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Qaz Kwaz posted:

YES! I was almost in tears. Do you remember what day that was on?

Wednesday, January 4th, third hour, right around the last five minutes.

If anyone wanted to make a clip of that, I'd be very grateful :allears:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Szyznyk posted:

Worst Nick and Artie Show guest toss up: Bob Levy or Kamal from the Jerky Boys?

Bob isn't talented or funny, but he is at least kind of interesting in a bottom-feeding, sewer rat failed comedian way. Plus it's always great to hear his more successful comedian friends (i.e. anyone who knows him who may have once or twice done a drunken open mic) gently caress with him.

I loved the Jerky Boys when I was in high school, and the only way you could hear them was through poorly dubbed bootleg audio cassettes, but Kamal may officially be the least relevant human being in show business.

So I'd have to say Stephen A. Smith.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Szyznyk posted:

I also enjoy calling radio shows with my trac phone while standing in a subway tunnel next to an electrical transformer.

He did us a favor. It was awfully nice of him to take ten minutes out of his busy schedule of arguing with Skip Bayliss about Tim Tebow to call in, though.

Speaking of black guys and lovely audio, as much fun as Brian Jones was in studio, someone should have directed him to speak into the microphone. It reminded me of Phil Hendrie doing Bud Dickman's off-mic voice.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

CrazyAss13 posted:

What show did Stephen A. Smith call in? I'd like to hear that. Anyone know the date?

I'll find it for you, but it really isn't a very good call. His phone line is terrible, and he doesn't really talk about anything all that interesting. He's basically siding with the owners on the NBA strike, and Nick and Artie really don't add anything to the dialogue. If you've heard him talk about it on "First & Ten", you get the idea.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Smeep posted:

I haven't listened to any of the Nick & Artie stuff. Is that on Sirius?

It's a very entertaining show. Nick is funny, though he may make you want to puke sometimes with his incredibly nebulous grasp of politics. Artie's been nothing but funny, and he's got a much shorter leash than he was on the Stern Show. I've been enjoying the hell out of the show since day one. It makes me miss Stern a lot less.

http://www.nickandartie.com

They've got the whole run on mp3 right now, but it ain't exactly episodic, so you'll be alright just going back a couple weeks.

e: Should we have a seperate Nick and Artie thread, or should we have any chat about it fester in the corpse of the old Stern thread?

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 2, 2012

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I feel stupid for asking this, but the caller Gonzo on the Nick & Artie Show is really Colin Quinn, right?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

chiz posted:

I listened to that and it doesn't sound like Colin, I mean the guy just rambles on and is boring.

You are one sarcastic son of a bitch. I think.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

prefect posted:

I'm having a hard time enjoying this. Way too much Adam and Nick bitching about "political correctness" and how bullying isn't so bad. I gave it fifty-two minutes, but gently caress this. :(

It's so goddamn hard to like those two when they get into idiocy like that. Like when Nick said gay bashing didn't really exist on the Stern show a couple years ago. I know he tries so hard to crowbar his oddball take on conservatism where ever he can, but he can't honestly believe that's true.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I love Conan O'Brien, but it kinda sucked being in studio for a taping. Plus, my friend and I almost got tossed because some random goofball in the audience pitched a fit about SUNY or something.

I've also heard horror stories about people being pitched out of Letterman tapings for making a face or whatever when they pan the audience. TV tapings are OK, but you gotta play ball in a serious way. It's very tightly controlled, and they'll often get rid of you if they so much as don't like the look of you.

All that said, if you're patient, and not prone to acting like a dickweed, they're not so bad. If you're into checking out Howard in person, go for it. It's not like it ain't fun ditching work over bullshit, plus it's not the worst way to spend a day. I very much doubt you'll get a fan experience like Atom, though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Iceberg1 posted:

I agree that Kinison's stand up sucks, but in fairness I feel that comedy stands the test of time the least. There is stand up that I thought was hilarious in the 90's that I feel is unwatchable now. I am too young to have seen Kinison when he was popular so I try not to judge.

He went from being a special, unique voice in stand-up comedy, really honestly edgy, to being a fat weirdo wannabe rock star that told incessant human being and black jokes, when he wasn't too loving drunk to perform, as his fame increased. He used to accuse Dice of stealing his schtick, which you could argue one way or another in my opinion, to doing a bad watered down version of Dice's terrible act.

He was as charismatic a human being as there ever was, and pretty fairly talented on top of that, but his fame and ego and love of mood altering substances collided in the worst possible way. It would have been interesting to see what came of Sam if he'd ever cleaned himself up, but there you go.

I like that story about Sam going out to dinner with Howard, and Sam starts talking to Howard about adopting a healthy diet like him. So he ordered two servings of creamed spinach.

Edit: By the way, clowns, "Raw Nerve" is now in Netflix instant watch. It's pretty good.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 9, 2012

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

It would be interesting, but probably depressing. For some reason I just see Sam with short hair on Fox News talking about 'standing behind the President.'

Either that or pulling a Willy Aames on Celebrity Fit Club. I can't help but think that a clearheaded Sam Kinison might've done some great stuff with the benefit of a couple crazy decades behind him, but a Sam/Dice seventh comeback tour reality show seems a hell of a lot more probable.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Bonzo posted:

1, He's a four foot tall, old angry jew
2. And he thinks he's Italian too
3. His belly is huge

Let us not forget that he wears bifocals so he can see, and that his t-shirt's way too tight.

Well, it's taken about 5 or 6 years, but Artie talking through a mouthful of food directly into the mic has made the jump from funny to awful and disgusting and annoying, for me anyways. Still, that's some amazing legs for a bit.

I'm waaay behind on N&A. Is Nick still adamant about defending Joe Pa and PSU after today's revelations? Considering his desperate need to play Devil's advocate against all that's wrong with the world today, and how we vote the way we do (?), plus his grotesque, uneducated political world views, gonna go ahead and venture a big "yes" on that. Boy, is he lucky he's funny and good looking.

Also, can someone refresh my memory as to when Artie did the Bill Curtis, Rick Santorum, dead baby bit?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

AltronHGX posted:

With Nick I've noticed he seems to get mad at any older white guys not bring treated with the utmost deity-like respect. And as soon as they're criticized he complains that it's only because it's hip to make fun of white people.

Two great points in two short sentences.

Oh man, I've got to jump ahead when they're back on live. I cannot wait to hear him weigh in on the Paterno statue flap. I mean, right now I'm of the opinion that they should just leave it be, but Rick's gotta busting at the seams over the whole thing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

A little out of the loop here. Why does Benjy look like the guy from Nickelback?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

The Janks Gimmick only worked back when the news media was a relatively mature and reliable source of information.

Now they're just dipshits who read twitter out loud on the air in a rush to beat each other to saying the stupidest thing possible so when he gets a "Howard Stern's Penis" in the mix, it's actually closer to responsible journalism.

I was just about to defend Janks's schtick, but you actually make an excellent point here. How can you really mock something that's already made a complete mockery of itself. Parodying a parody is an empty gesture. It's like farting on a fart.

Janks should never stop doing what he does, just like people should never stop yelling Bababooey during live remotes, but neither really have much of the oomph they used to.

All I know is, if I somehow travelled 200 years into the future and heard some dumbass screaming Bababooey into a holo-cam or whatever the gently caress, I'd feel pretty good about the human race. It's just one of those things that's always right. Always.

Also, I absolutely love how the greatest all-time "Janks call" wasn't even him!

"I see OJ. He look scared."

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lP8TwjRMdS0

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 21, 2012

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Steve Bartman call was just brilliant. The length of the call, plus Dan Patrick's reaction. If you're looking for media fuckery, you can't ask for much more.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=71p1Icmc1Hs

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

jimma posted:

To me, most of the humor in this one lies in how awful this attempted "black" accent is. Who is he trying to sound like, Harry Belafonte?

But even so, it's only the second-worst impression of a black American on record -- Sal's version of Governor Patterson takes the cake. "Approachin' da podiums ..."

Goin's to ma lef's.

Does anyone remember that black haunted house bit Sal & Richard did? That was so unbelievably, painfully unfunny.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=NFdg45-uW6w

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

It ain't out of irony he named his upcoming book "Crash and Burn".

Anyone who knows who he is hopes for him to pull through and be happy, but I don't see it happening. Ugh, I really needed something to cheer me up, and I get to read this instead. Goddamn it, Artie...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

chiz posted:

They all float, Georgie

Is your refrigerator running? It IS!? Well then, ya better go catch it! Huh HA, huh HA!

Beep beep, Howie!

And when you're down here, you'll float too...

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 11, 2012

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

mockery because he can't connect to women at all. Dude's gonna die alone.

Artie?

"I hate them, Nick. I hate them as people. They all lie."

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I just finished listening to the old Get John's Job pack again, and it's funny that Chaunce is so repulsive a human being that he had zero chance of winning. He did a pretty goddamn good job during his week, and he was a gross enough person to actually replace Stuttering John. Still obvious that the right person won.

I'm not a big Yucko fan, but it would've been fascinating if he'd won. How long could he have kept the clown schtick up if he'd have gotten the job? His song parody was horrible and hysterical all at once.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

I miss "Hey How's Your News"

When my girlfriend (now wife) and I would listen to the show on the way to work back in the day, she always thought Robin sang the first part of the "How's Your News" song and tell me how wretched a singer Robin was. I never felt the need to correct her, because it's not too far from the truth.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I stopped listening to the show 2 or 3 years ago, and I keep thinking I'll resubscribe because I miss it so much. Then I read things like how he's being cyber bullied and all the AGT stuff and his bullshit schedule and, as much as I know you kids can get a little overly dramatic about stuff when it comes to Stern, I know I can never go back, and that makes me sad. I really wish he'd retired when his last contract was up.

I used to be one of the major Positivity Patrol guys in the Stern thread, so it's a weird transition for me to be all "well, that's that, I guess...".

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks, Kyle.

In all fairness to Beth O, whenever I've heard her talk about her modeling career, she's plainly said it was for "catalogs and stuff" and not a big deal, and that work dried up after her relationship with Howard became public. I mean, whatever, it's fun to piss on her and everything, but I've only ever heard her being pretty honest and realistic about it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of it is how Howard presents it, not her. She is getting backlash from it for just being a normal cat lady model. You guys know how they get, ugh.

I'm usually not one to get in the way of comedy fact, I just feel bad for the poor, dumb broad sometimes.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone know where the "I'm gaaay, I'm a homo, I like guuuuuys..." drop comes from? Google has let me down, and it's bugging me that I can't place it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Listening to those 2000 shows makes me miss Crackhead Bob. I love that poor dope.

It also makes me realize how important the callers were to the show. It was always a beautiful thing hearing them whipping Howard up into a total frenzy with their rambling, incoherent calls. I never thought I'd come to realize just how much the mouth breathing fucks who called into his show really contributed.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Former Human posted:

I hope it was Dina Meyer.

Angie Everheart is confirmed, but I think it may've been Robin Givens. Neither she nor Howard will say if they banged or not, but I can't imagine Howard was any great shakes if they had sex after Tyson was digging tunnels in her.

He does bring up something every now and again about a C celebrity blowing him one night. Maybe that was her.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

prefect posted:

Sal's less easily shamed when the subject is women instead of other race.

Sal's lovely racism is excusable just for the fact that I've always gotten the feeling that he's completely pig loving ignorant when it comes to race rather than mean spirited. He's probably as not racist as his hosed up upbringing in that awful environment will allow him to be. He's just completely stupid in that regard.

His hatred of women, however, is terrifying. It really makes my skin crawl. As much as I love Artie, he's just as guilty of that. Every woman is either some amazing life-giving creature or a greedy, bloodsucking oval office.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 29, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Has Howard made any mention of the recently leaked footage of "The Day the Clown Cried"? I've seen the clip, and it's so goddamn disappointing, but I know he's completely obsessed with the movie.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was thinking back to the show they did honoring Hank after his death the other day. It may be one of my favorite single Stern shows ever. It was very funny, and very touching. Everything from the widow Goodstein, there reminiscences of previous Hank appearances, right down to Robin breaking down crying when Howard was singing "You'll Never Walk Alone"... It was a great show.

They show may not be what it used to be, but goddamn if Hank isn't that one thing I miss the most.

If you guys had to try to narrow it down to a single favorite show, what would it be?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I can vouch for stress-related back pain since I experience it from time to time. That said, I also got severe back pain when I was twelve or thirteen from hauling newspaper sacks all goddamn day and had to wear a brace when i was on the job. I want to take his side on it but he's just so fricking rigid about it.

He probably thinks Robin's cancer came from when she was a smoker 25 years ago. Did you know he used to cough up golf balls when he was a smoker? Guy's a little weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Wait, he only does two shows a week now?