Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

richardfun posted:

Nice tits though...(yeah, that's the only redeeming quality about the bitch)

This seems to be a recurring theme, especially after the CNBC bimbo.

I found it funny that while speaking to the muslim congressman, Maher was reading his talking points. He may do that while spouting statistics, but it was really strange to see him reading his own opinions. I call bullshit on that, his producers must've given that poo poo. He also didn't look really sincere, kinda like when he goes on his rants about Israel should be able to do anything they want like covert assasinations. It just seems to go against everything he usually stands for, and he seems to talk about those things like he is supposed to. I really wished the congressman had called him out on that.

Muslims are worse than Tim McVeigh right wing domestic terrorist types? Really Bill?The koran is hatefilled? what about the bible? What about your Religulous movie? I thought all religions were bullshit. I just don't get him anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I just seem to remember Robin Williams not letting anyone get a word in, and constantly doing his Genie-Aladdin schtick of impressions.

I've seen Belzer before when he was actually interesting to listen to, but he also let other people speak when he was on before and was laid back. He seemed edgy and weird, like when he kept moving around, stretching his arms around the back of the other guests chairs.

And yes, the woman who was a guest near the end was terrible. That was the worst argument against marriage I have ever heard.

I'm still pissed after that stupid rant Maher went on last week about muslims being more violent than other religions. I'm about to give up on him, even after watching him since Politically Incorrect was on.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
It would help to not have someone like Brietbart starting pointless arguements, and Bill pretending to give the other side a voice when they are really just an annoying disraction. Then Bill tells the audience to shut up, which makes no sense at all. I really don't understand why he does that, its not like there isn't a channel devoted to the right wing.

I'd prefer an intelligent conversation without interruptions, and I don't mean a left wing wank fest. But my fav episodes were progressive people discussing ideas and coming up with conclusions. Its not like people on the left don't disagree about anything.

I've just had enough with the right wing Fox parrots who spout the same bullshit and stall the show until Bill goes to the terrible prop act just before the 4th guest awkwardly saunters out.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

pkd88 posted:

I really did not find the panel that bad but they accomplished nothing. None of them were really offensive and none of them actually said anything with any meaning.

This is pretty much Real Time with Bill Maher every week. I find it interesting when it is all left leaning panelists because they don't get bogged down in stupid arguments where someone is just flat out lying, they all start shouting over each other, and nothing gets resolved.

And someone should have told the Freedom Works guy that hordes of right wing assholes weren't protesting in Washington when Bush was president, holding signs of Bush as an african witch doctor and all of the other stupid poo poo the tea party is known for. It was after Obama was in office that all of this bullshit rage started coming out, and no one who was supposedly an economic conservative called these assholes out on it. So when the conservative lady kept saying "no no no no no..." when Bill made the "Blacky McBlackman" comment, she should have been shut up just on that.

If they truly aren't with the batshit crazies and racists, then no one in the tea party is responsibly telling them to gently caress off. The 'god, guns, and gays' crowd is how I see most teapartiers, whether right or wrong.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I like the idea of Neil Tyson on permanently.

I prefer a more left panel where they don't get into pissing matches with republicans which always turns into "yes it is!" vs "no it isn't" and nothing gets resolved.

Its nice to hear different opinions of how to move things forward.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I agree. And there wasn't the flat out hatred that you heard form the right wingers. I also didn't get the whole 'creepy hip hop music' playing in the background while some guy stares at various girl's asses. That gave the impression that the southerners were at least good, hard working people who have a good reason to be racist, not just against people who take advantage of the system.

I'm glad Maher at least told her that the people in New York had a stronger arguement, and Pelosi sat there like an idiot because she couldn't argue with him.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Pryor on Fire posted:

I wish they'd do more overtime, everyone just relaxes and stops trying to "win" or whatever and it's much more entertaining. Hell just pass cocktails around and let everyone bullshit for an hour.

For Maher, its more like :350:

I agreed with Seth McFarlane years ago when he said he would like to smoke with Maher, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Breibart, and one other person I can't remember. Just those 4 stoned together would be worth watching.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Been following Maher since Politically Incorrect was on Comedy Central, followed by ABC. Maher does what his bosses tell him to. He called himself a libertarian in the 90's and pushed for Bob Dole in 1996. Then he stumped for Ralph Nader in 2000, then got on his knees with Michael Moore in 2004 begging him not to run. He said he wasn't getting fired from ABC after announcing his leaving, which he later admitted was bullshit since he made the comment about terrorists not being cowards. He would invite Oliver Stone, tell him that JFK was a great movie and even mentioned the conspiracy in one of his standups. Then he'll turn around and say ALL conspiracy theorists are nuts no matter what (what about conspiracies like Pentagon Papers, Watergate or Iran-Contra; they all aren't about Illuminati Alex Jones/David Icke bullshit).

I just can't keep track anymore. Lately he is on this anti-pc kick asking everyone from Sean Penn to John Cleese to Mel Brooks (who are not pc but actually funny) about why people don't laugh at his lovely jokes. I especially hate when he tells the audience to gently caress off because his joke bombed or people groan. Then I wondered if he might have gone to far with one of his biggest allies.

For example: asking Neil DeGrasse Tyson about the word "resonate". I take it for granted that the average person knows the definition: even church goers will tell you that a preacher's sermon "resonated' with them. Maher played dumb when Tyson used the word, and Tyson explained that 'resonate' is a physics word. Maher replies: "sounds like an Amos and Andy word!" and I could tell that pissed off Tyson since the joke didn't make any sense other than for shock value. I haven't seen Tyson on the show since promoting Cosmos. If Bill loses a friend like Tyson (Nye didn't look happy to be there either), its going to hit him hard. He needs more Nyes and Tysons and fewer Richard Dawkins.

And lets not forget his feud with Stewart/Colbert since that Rally To Restore Sanity. Everytime someone mentions the Daily Show on Realtime, he makes a snarky comment about how he gets bigger ratings. When Jon Oliver got his show, Bill made no mention of him coming from the Daily Show. The Daily Show crew also aren't on the same page re religion since they hire Muslim correspondents and seem to respect people more.

More and more I find myself only enjoying the final New Rule.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
So now Maher says gays are beloved by everyone. But while talking to David Spade came to the conclusion that men who date young women are the last taboo.

Unless if there has been a rash of hate crimes against older men dating young women, he has once again proven that he is losing his loving mind.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Super Deuce posted:

I'm not sure whether you misunderstand hyperbole, or that there are several degrees of stigma. He was saying that among accepting people, that he hasn't seen that particular choice be accepted.

If we're only going to talk about the worst, when are we supposed to talk about anything else?

I'm not sure if you actually heard what he said or watch Bill Maher on a regular basis.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Hopefully someone will explain to Maher during the holidays the difference between groaning at a bad joke and making an :iceburn: groan.

The difference is pretty obvious, and you would think as many years of standup that he has done he could tell. After saying something harsh but genuinely funny, he ends up telling the audience to 'gently caress off' and stop being so politically incorrect when half the time they agree with him and are simply saying "drat Bill, that's cold..."and then applauds to let him know he did a good job.

His tirade just kills the momentum so when he does the same thing again, people give a nervous chuckle and scattered applause to keep him from throwing another tantrum. Whoever at HBO is telling him to ramp up the rear end in a top hat factor should be fired. He was doing just fine and is now just turning into another angry white male pundit that people will start turning off.

The only problem is John Oliver's quick assimilation. I'm fine with him being a US citizen, but talking about US history from any time period and discussing history like he came on the Mayflower: "We did _____ back in ______" is just...weird. If I went to the UK, got a talk show, and talked about how bravely we fought in the Falklands conflict like I was there, I wouldn't be surprised if people looked at me like I was insane. I know he's trying to relate to the US audience, but like Trevor Noah...

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

IRQ posted:

I don't think either of them do that. Noah is constantly cracking jokes about Africa, and Oliver is pretty much correct because the people that came over on the Mayflower very in fact very british. He's also very often making jokes about how much bad stuff the british have done historically so I don't really get this complaint.

Oliver has more reason than most Americans do to make jokes about the British. That is not what I am talking about, and it is more of an observation of something odd than a complaint...I'm not that emotionally invested in it to complain. if you read my quote, I said its just "weird". I also like Jon Oliver more than Maher, who I mainly watch for New Rules. Breaking the habit going back to Politically Incorrect's Comedy Central days is pretty drat hard.

And yes, Mayflower passengers were British, but he wasn't on it...when talking about American history, the use of "we" did this and that is just...odd. I know the PC explanation of "we are all Americans now", but look at my earlier example. If I became a newly British citizen and said what horrible things "we" did to the rest of the world during the Victorian era just sounds bizarre. Especially coming from a non-white person.

In Noah's case, he got in hot water after his "black people in America be like _____" and the weird jokes about Jewish people. He even did a standup show in LA for a private industry crowd to show them his chops after all of the controversy that could have alienated TDS audience before he even started, but he almost over compensated by trying to show how much he has in common. The jokes were centered more around how he could relate more to African Americans re racism from rednecks, cops, etc. He knew he had to identify more with his audience of Americans if he was going to replace one of the most beloved anchors/comedians of all time. He's doing a fair job. At least he and Larry Wilmore are making white people think we're taking over...

I remember the Daily Show with Craig Killborn, and Jon Stewart's MTV talk show...I wanted it to work but was skeptical for a while. What made Jon work is that he didn't try too hard to relate to, or alienate, his audience. He was hitting them out of the park every night when the Iraq War started.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Another disappointing episode, but hell...Maher still doesn't understand the difference between booing and the crowd saying "oooo" as in :iceburn: when a joke cuts hard. Its a loving compliment, but he starts cursing out the audience:"oh gently caress you, don't start with me", and "liberals are so loving sensitive". Even as kids, if you are putting down each other or making jokes on the playground, we knew the loving difference. You start to look as infantile as Trump when you curse out your own audience who isn't even against you because you are that sensitive.

And as for what Super Deuce said, yes: blue collar people voted Republican this time the same way they voted for Reagan in the 1980's: they were called "Reagan Democrats". You can call them stupid if you want to, but don't deny that blue collar people did it. Many of them in the Rust Belt states voted for Obama as well, this has been a major talking point since the election. Most people stayed at home on voting day because they hated both candidates. Bernie got hosed over which pissed off the Dem base, and a lot of classic Republicans (never Trumpers) stayed at home. Trump couldn't even fill his inauguration. People got off of their rear end the day after (and since then) to protest because they were frustrated at the system. Prominent Hillary supporters from congress jumped in for brownie points, and you can catch videos of Debbie Wasserman Schultz getting booed for pandering because they never would have showed up to a protest in the first place.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

SyRauk posted:

Several of my friends didn't even vote because we live in Texas and they don't believe their votes even matter. They are partly correct but can never give me a valid excuse about voting in local elections.

I'm also a Texan. Not only should you remind them of local elections, but you should remind them that all of the major cities vote blue for the most part anyway. Houston has had an open lesbian mayor serve three terms that no one talks about, followed by its second black mayor...and no Republican mayor for decades. Its the loving suburbs and the sticks that make us look like a crazy right wing state.

And if Bill is going to chime in with Piers about actors and their political opinions, he needs to lead by example with his own panel guests. Hell, even he's a loving comedian with bad movie credits, not William F Buckley or John McLaughlin.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Tr33 posted:

drat this weeks episode was almost good until Bill decided to step on his own Islamophobic dick

drat, and I like Max Brooks too. I've been less likely to watch the show lately, but it would be nice to see a good episode again.

I did however watch Overtime and he didn't understand the Indonesia question at all, which is why he got all flustered and abruptly ended the discussion in a hissy fit. if he wants to rant about false equivalencies, then how about : not all Muslims are the same, not all Muslim majority countries are the same, and not even cultures and ethnic groups within those countries are the same. The reason we aren't having issues with Indonesians is because we aren't invading their loving country. They are playing ball with us when it comes to oil, so there is no war with Indonesia. In this age of Trump, he seems bizarrely more determined than ever to rant about Islam. And call me crazy, but it sure sounded like he was arguing the same poo poo alt-right people argue when it comes to immigration when comparing Jewish, Catholic, and Muslim immigrants to European countries.

Is he still a stoner? I swear he has been acting more and more like a short tempered aggro coke head lately. The yelling, freaking out, flailing his arms around, "gently caress you" to the audience when they don't laugh at his jokes. He wasn't like that that on Politically Incorrect or the early seasons of Real Time.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Tr33 posted:

It also seems fairly typical of an atheist these days to look at islam as the big bad especially when they've been kinda normalized to all the crazy poo poo Christians do. Which is kinda ironic considering they spent a good bit of the episode saying "hey don't normalize this poo poo."

As for the coke thing he is a rich Hollywood liberal so it's probably not out of the realm of possibility but fear has alot of the same symptoms. Infact one can enable the other pretty easily but who knows.

Good points.

Hate crimes may make the news, but they don't move anyone in the media and pop culture to call for passing stricter laws than those that fall under current "federal hate crime" laws. Those against hate crime laws say it puts the victim in a special category and goes against thought crimes, and gets shouted down by libertarians. But if you're a Muslim, good luck at the airport.

I remember vividly after the Oklahoma City bombing, and the first news story I watched on it was about the Muslim population in Oklahoma and what their motives might be. I was watching Politically Incorrect then in its early years, but I don't remember Maher saying anything against Muslims, and he was much more vocal about being a Libertarian (capital L, not just pro-weed). When Timothy McVeigh was captured people just kind of shrugged it off as "oh well, a patriot gone rogue because he read The Turner Diaries". What are they going to do, racial and religious profiling of rednecks?

My comment about a possible coke habit wasn't about fear and politics, it was just about Maher's personality shift lately. He just seems to act more like a jerk even when I agree with him, which is dwindling with each season. Like the time he had on Jerry Seinfeld and they complained about college students: they aren't their target demographic! I just don't see most young people these days are down with that kind of Don Rickles-Dean Martin Roast crude-but-playful bigot humor that took off with Frank Sinatra and The Rat Pack. Ask Sarah Silverman why she's toned down lately after being called a female Don Rickles. If people don't find you funny, don't get angry with them.

Maybe you are right about fear, its just fear of being irrelevant. He should take Susan Sarandon's advice and smoke more Indica so he can chill the gently caress out.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I've been very disappointed this season, but I give credit where its due. This week's was better than its been in a while.

Only one joke bombed that he blamed on sensitive liberals, and one Cawwsbee joke (its the new OJ). The guests were fine, I liked the Columbia professor at the beginning and the Bill's representative Ted Lieu. I agreed with her, but Ana Navarro's "sassy Latina" schtick is getting tiresome. Even Chelsea Handler was alright.

No show next week since he's taking Good Friday off, for religulous reasons I suppose...

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

ExiledTinkerer posted:

\
SE Cupp will be on upon the return.

what the gently caress is her appeal?

And where the hell is Cornell West?

I still say this was one of the better shows this season, and I loving hate this season. Maybe its because Bill wasn't yelling at the audience, unless I missed something.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

This, shouting at Tyson "don't gently caress with me on this, Doc!", as well as yelling at West...as I said before, Maher is coming off less like a stoner and more like a angry coke head. And once again told a corny joke that bombed and accused the audience of being touchy.

I thought West and Tyson held their own admirably when they weren't just laughing at him.

Why is anyone still listening to Frum? Neo-con is soooo 2003.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Super Deuce posted:

What the gently caress are you all freaking out about? For one, stop saying "n-word". It's dumb. Second, the dude told a joke.

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen people freak out about in this show's threads.

Its not the word itself, the context also sucked. I've seen him do stand up, he used the word, and in the context of his act it made a lot of sense, but this time it was just loving stupid.

I'll stop saying "n-word" when people stop saying or calling me what it stands for. Its easy to act like some anti-PC macho badass troll, but feel free to use it willy nilly in public as a joke and see what happens. I'm sure telling people to get over it will go over well.

He wasn't talking to a black friend, but to some white republican on his talk show. He wouldn't have said it in front of Killer Mike, Cornell West, or Neil Degrasse Tyson. Think about how they would have reacted.

Maher even once said freedom of speech doesn't mean going around saying any stupid poo poo. "House negro" would have been perfectly fine.

He's just getting more desperate, and as I've said before, acting more and more like a coked up rear end in a top hat who yells at people when they don't laugh at his jokes while passing it off as being too touchy.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Bretibart recently lost more than 1000 advertisers. You can't blame that on sensitive snowflakes.

Bass Bottles posted:

Chill, friend. It was lighthearted joke. But also I still have no idea what that post is supposed to mean.

I was thinking the same thing.

Troll bitches at everyone to take a Bill Maher "joke", can't take his own advice in a SA thread when someone teases him.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bill taking a knee after making GBS threads on Kaepernick last year was too much for me. He's a loving hack, even more so since Trump won.

Even more annoying since he was mostly going after Kaepernick because of what K said about Hillary. Bill admitted a few shows ago that although he voted for her and wished she had won that he still wasn't a fan of Hillary, but lately he's really been kissing her rear end. And not a word about Bernie's "Medicare for all" despite agreeing with Michael Moore that if its good enough for other countries, its good enough for us. And not a word when Leibowitz called Bernie a narcissist, which is especially funny when you look at who is in the White House. Someone must have Bill's prick in their pocket, as usual.

At least I'm with Bill on the Russia scandal. And props to Morello for giving it a try.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

TheBizzness posted:

Also who the gently caress does he think he's fooling calling himself a libertarian over and over again?

He did that poo poo during the ABC Politically Incorrect years, and endorsed Bob Dole over Bill Clinton in 1996. After he got booted for the 9/11 comments, he went to HBO and went super progressive. He chided people who said he was only calling himself libertarian because of his views on weed then said "yeah, so?" but was otherwise more of a Sanders style progressive. He even had Professor Richard Wolff as a guest talking about socialism and communism and didn't scream at or contradict him.

But ever since Bernie lost last year's primary, he screamed at everyone to vote for Hillary despite "not being a huge fan" but calling her "a nice lady". Now he's kissing her rear end, taking a right turn, and using the term libertarian again because it sounds cool (despite his take downs of Gary Johnson) and he's butt-hurt about being protested at Berkeley. It also might have to do with that weird sex club The New York Post did a story on that he's in. Someone here posted a link to a while back...

Libertarian depends on how Bill feels. Now what the hell is Michael Moore going to talk about when he shows up again? They both were on the same page at one time for Universal Health Care. I also hate how he says its stupid for Bernie to call it Single Payer because people are too stupid and think it means they pay for everything. Bernie was one of the people who came up with the term "medicare for all".

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Groovelord Neato posted:

i will never understand the "bernie is a narcissist" smear.

You know how he selfishly got arrested at civil rights demonstrations back in the sixties and was not a "Goldwater Girl"? It was all about him and his political career.

Its like how his book "Guide to Political Revolution" is a tell all about how it was everybody else's fault that he lost the primaries.

"Medicare for all" is just code for "look at me". Not to mention how he talked nonstop about Hillary's emails during the debates. When he endorsed her for President after losing to her in a shady way, he was just being selfish.

Fran knew what she was talking about, she's from Vanity Fair!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Looks like we're getting a repeat panel from last season with Salman Rushdie (whom I greatly respect and enjoy listening to even when I seldom disagree with him), and Fran Lebowitz (who is just an awful vanity Fair bourgeois liberal who needs to take her own advise to Bernie Sanders: just go away). Once again, torn by the panel.

And yes, I too was highly entertained by the weird Republican law professor.

I did laugh when Bill turned to the New York Times columnist (who I thought was awesome) and said its "easy to pick on Trump" made joke after joke about him. Isn't that what the whole show is about now?

Too bad the guy on the left was cut off while trying to talk about Switzerland's drug policy when Bill himself in the past said that drugs should be legalized and (like Michael Moore) used European countries as examples. Instead, he contradicted himself again, and made it look like it can never work here (like healthcare?) by brushing it off with "well, that's Switzerland...NEW RULES!"

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

viral spiral posted:

This woman is the absolute worst. She boasts about not having a cell phone without any self-awareness at all (in addition to her lovely political views). Her opposition to Bernie was solely because he's a man. lol

And this time Fran said she simply hates Bernie. No reason, she just hates him. Ok. Other than that, what was her point on being a guest this time? Just as before, enjoyed Rushdie because he at least had something to say rather than just complaining about things he doesn't like. He also reiterated that older politicians need to step aside, mentioned lots of politicians, but was classy enough not to mention Bernie among them.

I also have a feeling Cornel West is never going on the show again...

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I just can't see West coming back. He's pro-Bernie, he criticized Obama, his friend Tavis Smiley has been tossed in with the rest of the #metoo offenders (despite this week's final Rule, it won't influence guests), he's firmly against Israel's policies against Palestinians...the only way Maher has political opponents on his show is if they are Republican morons. Maher will make the excuse of not having West on because he's too far left. However neo-cons like David Frum are perfectly fine since they are teaming up with neo-libs in their mutual hatred of Trump. There's as much chance of having West back as there is bringing back West's friend and fellow progressive professor Richard Wolff.

Lately positions that Maher used to take are being tossed to the side. But we love pot, "ruh-li-jun" is bad, and Trump said something stupid again this week, so that's enough to fill out an hour show every week.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Especially funny seeing him rant against one of his biggest cheerleaders: The Huffington Post. They even praised this week's opening monologue with the comments section going crazy about how they can't live without him.

Also love how Tiger Mom said we should listen to people on the right who complain about immigrants. They also rant against people like black people, Mexicans, and the Dakota Access Pipeline protesters, who happen to consist of people who have been here for centuries.

Those kids were aware of Maher's railing against young people because they dished it back to him about how older generations hosed up this country, and he got defensive and backed the gently caress up quick, even in Overtime.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
And he's made no secret in the past about being a Libertarian...when he was on Politically Incorrect.

His move to Real Time was where he actually started to get more "progressive", supporting Bernie Sanders and getting closer to Michael Moore, who are as far from Libertarian as you can get and it wasn't because of weed legalization. Pretty much everyone is ok with legalizing weed except organized crime, the private prison industry, and religious fundamentalists.

He's just been bouncing back and forth between principals again. Look at his criticism of Hillary during his latest New Rule, right after defending Nancy Pelosi who is just as much of a Blue Dog Dem.

But privatizing Social Security is a pretty far right wing thing for him to take up after being against it just a few years ago, which was something his hero George Carlin used to rail against in his standup. He's just going with whoever his writers happen to be at the moment and its confusing his audience.

And is it just me, or is it the same lady who screams "we love you Bill!" every week at the beginning of his monologue? its very weird.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
That lady on the panel was horrible.

And he yelled again at the audience for being sensitive snowflakes while acting like a sensitive snowflake about his joke bombing.

Zogo posted:

They have canned laughter and other sounds piped in now like a sitcom. If you listen closely you can hear the same laughs from week to week.

Years ago it wasn't like this because you used to be able to hear the audiences gasping/groaning at certain jokes. Now you can only tell that happens when Bill turns left towards the audience and yells at them.

Yes, I suspected as much, but some people freak out and call you a conspiracy nut if you point that out. The "we love you Bill" lady at the beginning of Maher's show is like the woman in the 70's sitcom Good Times who would yell "Right on!" every time a character would make a political statement written by Norman Lear. Same exact sample every week.

Last week there was an online town meeting webcast with Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Michael Moore discussing economic inequality that had over a million live viewers. They've all been guests on his show in the past, but that time has now gone based on the last couple of seasons.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I noticed he didn't address Spitzer's point of boycotting being a major part of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950's and 60's. The boycotting against buses, after Rosa Parks was the match that lit the fire. It would also have been timely to mention that it was called for by a young MLK.

I understand he is scared of boycotts, and I was against his losing his Politically Incorrect show which as I remember it was more of an ABC executive decision than a call for a boycott of his advertisers since he was more popular than ever. That's how he was able to make his big comeback on HBO. But isn't calling for a boycott just as 1st amendment-y as anything else someone could say?

Maybe its not just shell shock of his PI experience: maybe he is forced to take this position because HBO is afraid of someday being the target of a boycott based on something stupid Bill would say.

I guess I keep watching after all of these years hoping that the Bill Maher (or whichever of his writers) with sense will come back someday. He still makes the random good point from time to time, its just becoming less frequent. It would be funny if this was some tactic to keep us tuning in every week. I just don't like wasting time hate-watching anything.

I'm glad that the "we love you Bill!" lady sample is now joined by some guy yelling "YOU ROCK, BILL!". I hope we hear more of that every week. Same guy, same sample. I'm sure no one will notice.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
That wasn't that big of a deal. I saw him live and he said it, and no one said anything. That is not what he is concerned with, and he is concerned because he DIDN'T survive ABC which wasn't over a bad word. Otherwise he wouldn't have acted the way he did in this week's episode regarding boycotts.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

IRQ posted:

Oh great another dirtbag white supremacist is going to be on? I wonder if bill will try to suck his dick like he did Milo Yanpoloswhatever.

That' the problem lately. It isn't necessarily a debating show when complete morons shout at each other over nonsense. It was the reason Jon Stewart was able to easily take down the annoying pundits on CNN's Crossfire years ago.

When Bill was at his best, he was able to discuss well thought out, well discussed (and debated) possible solutions to current problems with intelligent people. Then it dropped in quality when he started having the token moron go against him and two other guests, which would slow the show down. Now its a dumpster fire on top of a train wreck next to a plane crash.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I've been watching him since Comedy Central, and its pretty obvious that his guest list just keeps shrinking.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
At least Bill was honest during his Michael Moore interview when he said people turn into "conservative assholes" when they get older. The key word is "rear end in a top hat". Why didn't Moore jump all over that?

Also Maher knows better than to bring back Cornell West because he uses the word "apartheid" appropriately.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

punk rebel ecks posted:

This actually isn't true. There is movement to being more conservative when you get older is a myth. The hippies never voted for Reagan, it was the boomers who came slightly after them. Hell, we are even seeing this with younger Gen X who consistently vote Dem despite now being in their 40s.

The other thing to point out, is even if this is true... doesn't this give Moore even more support? The younger generation is screwed and will want to implement policies that it good for them (the struggling) and bad for the powerful.

I'm aware of that, being one of the Gen X-ers. That's why I said the key word is "rear end in a top hat", not conservative. He's admitting to being one as he got older, its like he is encouraging young voters to not be like him. I just wish Moore had jumped on that point. Maher is thin skinned but I don't think he can afford to lose any more friends like Moore with his ever shrinking guest list.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Bill said he liked Klobuchar because she treats her young staff horribly, and this was very early in the primary before the recent "you know who I'm looking at..." remark.

I did enjoy Stern giving him a hard time in between the mutual kiss fest they were giving each other. Funny, in the 90s Maher was a self described Libertarian, and Howard Stern ran on the Libertarian party ticket for New York governor (to the disgust of John Laroquette, then only known as the lecherous lawyer on Night Court).

I've never been a fan since I can't stand shock jocks, he was a radio troll pre-internet and I never found his racial humor funny. And he lived down the street in the same predominantly black area of Roosevelt Long Island as members of Public Enemy.

But on this episode Maher said they were both lefties, just not one of the crazies. His past enthusiasm for Sanders is now a dismissive "yes, we love Bernie too, :smug eyeroll:" But now he's railing on and on about being center left and "Republican Classic". Yet no one he supposedly supports wants to do anything that he rants about in his final New Rules every week.

I also laughed when Maher complained to Stern about Maher's own audience. I wanted Stern to tell him "well, its because your jokes just don't land. Don't get mad at the fans." Too many entitled comedians these days rail against the audience when they suck, including Maher, or he tells them that it "went over their heads" or "um...that was a joke" like in his opening monologue. The crowd is too afraid to "ooooo" when he says something actually cutting or burns someone because he confuses it with booing. Talk about being overly sensitive...

We all know how much he hates kids and complains about their activism (not just the politically correct safe spaces on campuses), but he at least is leaving Greta Thunberg alone.

I watch Maher now for the same reason I used to watch William F. Buckley on Firing Line or The McLaughlin Report...which is really sad. And as I've said in the past: his guest list is getting shorter and shorter:

I'm recognizing fewer and fewer panel guests other than the usual suspects such as next week's: Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Tyson: it resonates with the...
Maher: resonate, whats that mean? (!!!!)
Tyson: its a physics word...
Maher: sounds like an Amos & Andy word...

*canned laughter*

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loAgmHFkE10

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Rogan got some really good jabs at Maher, who is still thin skinned. He ignored the Jimmy Dore comment, and was ready to bolt before Rogan could show him the video of Kyle Kulinski imitating him.

The most bizarre was how Maher has his New Years Eve audience sing a song by Charlie Chaplin, then implies that Michael Jackson was a weirdo because he covered the same song because of their similar scandals.

He stands by not being for Bernie anymore because he says nothing will get passed in congress. Sooo, elect someone who will only propose bills that Republicans WILL pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Yes, Rogan proved that during his chat with Jimmy Dore. He flat out told Dore that he only supports Bernie and Tulsi. He said he was a progressive as well.

Maher can't decide if he is a Libertarian, liberal, "conservative classic"...he's been all over the map since the 90's.

From endorsing Bill Clinton to Bob Dole, Ralph Nader, John Kerry, Obama, Bernie Sanders, Hillary, and now Klobuchar.