Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

therattle posted:

Definitely messier, and probably slower.

Messier how? I'm already using my knife which will need to be cleaned anyways. I don't want to wash a garlic peeler.

Slower? Put the knife on the garlic and hit it. It takes one second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I don't know about hissy fits over tongs, but I have personally been looking for a good cheap set of tongs for about the last year to no avail.

the important thing to me about tongs is precision - I need to be able to grab the tail of a shrimp by one of its still-attached-fins and flip it over, but at the same time I need to be able to get under an entire chicken and have the gripping power to flip it and stuff. nylon isn't really precise enough, nor is the kind of flat-headed OXO one... and all the SS ones I've found that have really exacting tips are kind of flimsy and a little too cheap. argh

For tongs I have the OXO ones with silicone coated flaps but my metal tongs are All Clad and I love them:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

feelz good man posted:

It's true. It's really not that stupidly sharp, and I live in mortal fear of chipping it and having to mail it in. That and having no good place to store it because it's not magnetic results in it almost never getting used, and it's a shame.

I'll keep repeating this because of how bad their customer service is but I bought a Kyocera paring knife and didn't do anything stupid to it. No drops, didn't use it on a glass cutting board, etc.

In two weeks it was dull enough that it wouldn't cut through the rind of a lime. I called their customer service (sidenote: they never answer, this took a few weeks) and they offered to let me send it in to be sharpened at my expense.

I'll never make that mistake again. Buy a real steel knife and take care of it. Ceramic knives are garbage.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Plenty of stainless steel isn't magnetic.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any reason not to get All Clad copper core cookware? Like something better for the same price, or just as good for less?

I bought the D5 which is steel - aluminum - steel - aluminum - steel.

The copper core are just steel - copper - steel.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Actually the All-Clad copper core is steel aluminum copper aluminum steel

That's correct, my bad.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Smashing garlic damages too many cell walls so instead you prefer to finely grate it which does the same thing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Crate and Barrel have nice inexpensive white plates.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

Get a peugeot grinder..

I have a Peugeot grinder and I'm not terribly happy with it. I use the Penzey's extra bold peppercorns and it does a really lousy job. I think they're slightly bigger than regular peppercorns.

The Peugeot looks beautiful at least.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's like $5 to get it sharpened now. Relax.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a bunch of these that I use for spice grinding:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10152875

$5.99, ceramic grinder. They do a nice job.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wood kills bacteria. See this UC Davis website:

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

quote:

Our research was first intended to develop means of disinfecting wooden cutting surfaces at home, so that they would be almost as safe as plastics. Our safety concern was that bacteria such as Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella, which might contaminate a work surface when raw meat was being prepared, ought not remain on the surface to contaminate other foods that might be eaten without further cooking. We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large numbers were used. New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.

There's a natural anti-bacterial property of wood: bacteria in the tiny gouges get killed whereas in plastic they persist. I'd say you should do the opposite: wooden board for raw meat only, plastic board for vegetables.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Get this:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10152875

It's cheap, durable and adjustable.

I have a bunch of those for spices. Cumin, white pepper, etc. They work great.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a Benriner. It's fantastic. They make a wide version of it. Spring for that.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That sounds right.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dino. posted:

Also the negative reviews are silly. The thing has lasted a good year or so, and is still ticking. This is after heavy use on (:shudder:) brunch (I loving hate brunch and everything it stands for) on weekends.

Amazon reviews should be avoided at all costs. My grandparents bought us a soft boiled egg maker as a housewarming gift. We used it a few times and always got hard boiled eggs. Turns out there's supposed to be a buzzer to let you know the eggs are done and our unit didn't buzz.

It's a common defect and since I'm more than capable of making soft boiled eggs in a pot of water we tossed the unit. A few weeks later I saw it on Amazon and left a review explaining that our buzzer didn't work either.

It's currently rated unhelpful from 9 of 9 people including such thoughtful responses as "you should wait for the buzzer to go off it's pretty simple".

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I was going to go with All Clad Copper but due to cost I ended up going with the All Clad Stainless d5. They're 5 ply pans, so Steel / Aluminum / Steel / Aluminum / Steel.

Everything I read said they performed as well as the All-Clad Copper core.

Maybe when I have a nicer place I'll buy some Mauviel to hang on the wall but cooking in copper doesn't seem worth it for anything but looks.

edit: I bought the d5 due to the huge difference in cost. I couldn't find anything that made the cost difference seem worth it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Conducting heat quickly doesn't mean you don't need high heat. The idea of the multi-clad pan is that steel is tough but doesn't conduct well. Because of this you get hot spots so what they do is put copper in the middle to spread the heat out and make the whole pan interior the same temperature.

If you're searing steaks or other items you'd still want that burner going full blast.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy lovely wooden spoons by the pound and abuse the poo poo out of them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MrEnigma posted:

I'm sick of crappy ice cream scoops. Broke at least one, some are flaking off. Would prefer to be able to throw it in the dishwasher (some of the antifreeze ones can't be washed). Tried some random off brand ones, an OXO one (which is flaking and the handle pulls off).

What is the world's best ice cream scoop?

Email OXO they'll replace your ice cream scoop for free.

Mine had the flaking issue, they asked me to pick out any ice cream scoop and it showed up a week later.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Neat device idea, but none of their food pictures are great. Underseared steak, short ribs overdone (for sous vide).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cooking Issues likes the Kuhn-Rikon pressure cookers and talks about the technology involved:

http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/11/22/pressure-cooked-stocks-we-got-schooled/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

that awful man posted:

On the other hand, those are the guys who took the advice of an internet "chemist" and made a big old pot of stock soap. Food science at its best.

Dunno if you're serious but I'm not sure what the harm is in trying out crazy ideas. It's not like they made pork soap and said "IT'S GREAT EAT THIS".

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

geetee posted:

Is there any benefit, other than aesthetics, to be had by using a grill pan like below over a flat surfaced one for steaks?

It sucks for cooking things and as a bonus is impossible to clean. Avoid at all costs.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you own one already give it to someone you hate.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I bought a ceramic kyocera paring knife to try it out. I mostly cut limes with it which is what I use paring knives for. In two weeks it was too dull to cut anything.

I used it only on end grain cutting boards. Total garbage, avoid at all costs.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got this starter kit and it's been useful: http://www.forthegourmet.com/Molecular-Gastronomy/Experimental-Kits/Experimental-Kit-Artistre-600-grams-p10906.html

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Every single lid on a Penzey's jar I own has cracked.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dino. posted:

If you're willing to drop $200 on a kettle, you could do better with an in sink boiling water dispenser. http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/Household-Products/Water-Products/Pages/default.aspx

It looks like the hot water tank, faucet and filter alone for those systems will run you almost $400, to say nothing of the plumbing work.

Faucet: $122
Heater $185
Filter unit: $63

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 30, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I tried the blue canister benzomatic to sear meat and it doesn't do a great job. A ripping hot cast iron is much much much much better.

The torch is probably good for things that don't lay flat.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

Looking for advice on converting a cooler as the vessel for my tepid puddle machine. Good idea/bad idea?

Probably a really good idea. If the lid won't close you can cover the surface of the water in ping pong balls to keep heat in.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Buy a case of uline bags. 30bux for 1000 bags, absolute best deal as far as cost per bag.

Are those food safe? They look like industrial shipping supplies. For reference we had an issue where bags we were buying at work were contaminated with machine oil from the machines that make them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

but so I'm torn as to what nice rear end cookware I could make our poor, poor parents purchase on our behalf. The all-clad copper core stuff looks really nice, but they're quite expensive... or should I just give up on my dreams of copper and get aluminum/stainless?

We went All-Clad D5 and it's wonderful.

Everyone we talked to said "save the money, buy the D5 over the copper core".

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Benriner is the correct choice.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We went with a full range hood and no microwave. I'm happy.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'll admit I own Le Creuset, but they sell all metal handles pretty cheap on Amazon.

I agree they should come standard, especially for the price, but here we are.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

To hear people here talk about them Le Creusets are the stupidest single purchase you could make in the whole world.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm sure the answer is "No, just buy a pair you idiot," but are there any super magical kitchen shears I should be aware of? Mine died and I need to replace them.

I love my OXO kitchen shears. They're cheap, too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sub-Zero?

http://www.subzero-wolf.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

one thing I know I'm gonna put in my next kitchen (and probably regret putting in my next kitchen) is some sort of scrap-hole in my cutting area

My wife showed me a long butcher block counter that had maybe a 9" wide hole cut in it for scraps with a matching 9" round butcher block cover with just a thumb hole to pop it off and shove your scraps down in there. Jealousy.

• Locked thread