Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tab8715 posted:

Where the hell do guys find $300 Aerons?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/fuo/2168087220.html

Getting close in my area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kolodny posted:

Does anyone have any experience with stool or other sort of backless chair? I remember seeing a chair a while back that looked neat, a stool with a flexible seatpost, but I can't at all remember what it was.

Were you referring to this posted on the last page?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/wigli-stool-has-your-back/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Aphasian posted:

Eames Molded Plywood lounger

Wait wait wait, this thing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Splizwarf posted:

What's the heaviest-weight/duty gas cylinder and legs available (individually, not by pallet or something)? At this point I am inclined to build myself something out of a luxury car seat. I work in the car industry so this is not going to be "too weird" (it qualifies as "employee enthusiasm"), but the lightest decent seat will still be probably 80 lbs.

Unlike the chair industry, I can test the hell out of car seats. :v:

Please make sure to post the build and results.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SlayVus posted:

That is a lot to spend on a chair. It looks like it would be comfy though.

They are not bad, but are pretty outdated as they have been around for a long time now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm pretty sure a gold toilet seat isn't comfortable, but it's so expensive it MUST be worth it!

It will slowly form to your rear end over time.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Luna Was Here posted:

Does anyone in here have either of these chairs? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OTSHSQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XBC3BF0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looking to get a new chair because the one that I have is basically just me sitting on a piece of wood that reclines.

How many hours a day/days a week are you going to be spending in said chair? Something like that most likely isn't going to put up with the abuse of sitting in it 40+ hours a week.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BJPaskoff posted:

What's good to look out for when buying a used Aeron?

Finding something other than an Aeron is on the top of the list.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I don't think I would ever use a headrest on a desk chair, I also don't game if that makes a difference.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Josh Lyman posted:

I just marathoned through season 2 of Twin Peaks and a headrest would've made a world of difference.

Ah yeah, I really don't watch tv/movies at my desk either. On a side note, just started S01 of Twin Peaks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

thechosenone posted:

Hm, really? Well, Compared to the chairs I've been borrowing, it seems dramatically more ergonomic, has actual armrests, and can move without me picking it up. I've kind of given up looking for a chair I can recline in for any realistic price anyway, and the design seems so simple as to be hard to break. These things probably last forever right?

For example, I've been alternating between my wobbly old cheap office chair which feels like its on the verge of breaking, a hardwood dining room chair, and an old foldable chair that is even smaller than this and wiggles around when I shift. Even if this isn't that amazing, it is still better than what I've got, and probably won't break just from normal use.

Unless there are better chairs for $200 or less, I figure if I'm in this price range something simple and durable is for the best, so maybe one day I can save up to buy an actually good chair.

Edit: And to be honest having sat in these types of chairs for much of my time in college, they are way more comfortable that a lot of chairs used in waiting areas.

Do I even want to ask why you are wanting to recline in a desk chair?

How many hours/day are you going to be sitting in this thing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Well played.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rexxed posted:

Plus think of the cost of the curtains to hide it if normies visit.

Hide it from everyone except JP from Grandma's Boy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I got one of these, and so far it isn't terrible.

https://m.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

isndl posted:

Dunno about how good the ergonomics are but the seven year warranty is better than I expected unless there's some fine print involved.

At that price, I doubt many bother with the warranty unless something hilarious (like it literally collapses) happens.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm not proud to admit it, but I have been using one of these for a year or two and have had zero issues.

https://m.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black-23481-CC/product_990119

I was going to splurge if it sucked or fell apart, but it still looks and feels brand new.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LLSix posted:

The 48" wide desks have plenty of space for a single monitor and tower but are cramped with two. If I order another desk I will probably order something wider. Maybe in the 60 inch range.

Swing by the SFF thread, they can assist you in freeing up more of that desk space.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You sure the grease you used hasn't just gotten good and worked in there? I would assume that type of grease would be perfect for this use case.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Josh Lyman posted:

I quickly started to hate the Staples Hykken I bought from Craigslist for $80. It’s comfortable only if you’re in media consumption mode, i.e. your back fully against the back of the chair and using the headrest. Anything else and the seat area is just too small. Ugh, maybe I can sell it for $60.

Are you of larger stature? I have been using this thing for 40 hours a week and am still impressed with it. Had it for over a year now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Plastik posted:

Post the desk pics, coward.

This.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I feel like a broken record, but I am going on 2 years with this thing. 40-50 hours a week. Still feels brand new and great.

https://www.staples.com/staples-hyken-technical-mesh-task-chair-silver-53293/product_24328579

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

~Coxy posted:

Large casters are expensive but a good option if you're using your chair on carpet.

You can get the cool rollerblade casters on Amazon for like 30.

I recently snagged a bamboo floor mat from Costco for like $40. Have not tested it out yet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'll also recommend the Staples Hyken. It is currently on sale for $150 (Black or Gray) shipped with coupon code 53644 .

I have been using one for about 40 hours a week for a few years now. Still feels great.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14524727-staples-hyken-technical-mesh-task-chair-black-at-staples?v=1&src=frontpage

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Honestly just order a Staples Hyken.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Thanks for quoting this, I was looking for it. I bought the listed Staples Hyken Task Chair chair 10 months ago and am back in this thread looking for a new chair again. So far I've replace both arms, the seat, and the back (but not the casters yet!). Staples hasn't given me any grief about sending out replacement parts, but I shouldn't have to replace essentially every part of the chair in less than a year. I'm looking again because the arm rest foam is splitting on both arms for the second time.

Uhh, I have been sitting in a Staples Hyken for like 40 hours a week, for like 3 years now.

I have had literally zero issues and still have not thought about replacing it. I bought it as a trial thinking it would fall apart in like 18 months or something, then I could justify spending more monies on an HM chair.

Out of curiosity, what do you weigh?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'm not a petite man but I'm not at the 250lb they rate it at for 8hrs a day.

It honestly sounds like you got a lemon or something.

I'm around 180, this thing still looks brand new.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So I grabbed one of those all mesh Staples Hyken Task Chairs back in 2018. It still looks and feels brand new, and I put 50+ hour/week into it without discomfort.

Was just poking around, apparently the charcoal one is down to $140 (they changed the name of it a while back). They normally sit around $180-$200.

https://www.staples.com/staples-hyken-technical-mesh-task-chair-silver-53293/product_24328579

I thought it was only going to last me a year or two then I would cave and buy a Mirra 2.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Happiness Commando posted:

Lucky you. I found it incredibly painful instantly.

I recommended it to a few friends and coworkers when covid became a thing, they all had praises to. That sucks that you're body hates it.

None the less I'm a dweeb and like looking at upgrading to something fancy, but still no need.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TenementFunster posted:

diet and cardiovascular exercise

Naw.

Cocaine by itself should do the trick.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rawrbomb posted:

gesture (over 300)

Curiosity got me here, the gesture says it supports up to 400lb

TenementFunster posted:

regular cylinders are not rated to support 260lbs

Seems like most "standard" office chairs are between 250-300lbs.

My cheapo Staples Hyken is 275. I pulled up a few random Amazon ones between like $40 and $150, nothing below 250lbs.

I assume the chair in question came with a bad cylinder from the get go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TenementFunster posted:

the weight ratings on cheapo chairs from overseas are meaningless. all they have to do is last long enough to be outside the amazon return window, because the “warranty” involves return shipping to china

Ah yeah, good call on that.

https://imgur.com/a/Gcpveyn

Although at the < $150 price point, I wonder how many people would even bother trying to do a manufacturer warranty claim a year down the road.