Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Damnit, I'm all caught up. That means I'll have to wait for updates, the worst situation to be in with LPs (imo). Still, this is fascinating, especially given that the totality of my experience with BT is this thread, MW2, and Missionforce: Cyberstorm (I know, not true BT, but not far off I should think). Not adding myself to the piloting list, though, because I'd probably gently caress it up big time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Since I don't really know anything about BattleTech, whatever the hell these REDACTED are, they sound loving terrifying. I'm currently imagining some kind of Alien bio-monster melded with mech-grade armor plating that doesn't impact its speed that opens its mouth to reveal an AC/20 instead of the mini-head for murdering pilots. That last part doesn't seem consistent with the Clan's honor code thingy, but good god

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Spencerb posted:

I'm the pilot of the Wolfhound.

What should I do?

With my obviously vast, yet subtle, command of knowledge regarding your tactical situation, I recommend you finding a nest/hive/production plant/summoning circle of whatever the hell these demon REDACTED are, train/subvert/bargain away your soul for command of them, and then proceed to unleash a fell apocalypse upon your foes. Also, shoot everyone in the face for good measure, since there may or may not still be a possibility you die despite your best/most dishonorable efforts

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Popy posted:

That settles it <Redacted> are clearly demons created from pure evil. Summoned from hell itself. Only the staunch followers of blake can stop them

That's what I've been saying!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Welp, down another 'Mech. As soon as I saw the AC20 get destroyed, I was already thinking this could suck, but 157 damage being "vented harmlessly" (which made me laugh) kind of eliminated my hope for even a partial victory

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Because they've all melted in the fire and the ground is exceptionally sticky?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

This exact possibility (statue is really a mech) is exactly what I was thinking. I only regret that I am about a page too late in broaching it. Think about it: you shoot that thing first to "lure out" or whatever whoever is in the nightclub (as per the scenario objectives I vaguely recall reading earlier). Ok, you shot a loving statue, grats, real hardcore, not even any drat people around it, some terrorists you are. Hell, if you decide to go melee it to "death," how would anyone at the club even know? Answer: there's a pilot sitting in it, because Heimdall has been infiltrated and the plan's been leaked, but last minute orders managed to go out to kill the statue because the counter-intelligence within Heimdall has managed to find the plant and ferret out his last report. If you had ignored the statue, it would have started mowing you down through your rear armor while you were faffing about at the nightclub. But NOW you have a fighting chance, because I seriously doubt those tanks are going to make it to you anytime soon.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I know this is crazy, but has anyone ever considered mounting the machine guns and ammo outside the armor? I know, I know, ammo boxes and belt feeding are lostech.

But if they did that, how would we see spectacular and improbable death from a million bullets cooking off? :confused:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Is it weird that I think the Crab 'Mech (and also the Linebacker) are both cool as hell to look at? Because that Crab 'Mech, I'm tellin' ya, it looks dangerous.

Also, just so I can wrap my head around this battlefield, I assume 0101 (top) wraps around into 0101 (bottom), right?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Felime posted:

Even 3.1 wasn't around in the 80s

You're right, it wasn't. But this is the future of the 80s! I bet the cockpits can even play MIDI versions of all the hit songs of the BattleTech universe!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Tarquinn posted:

The Raptor looks so happy :iamafag:

You're right, that thing has a major boner showing

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I'm on the edge of my seat to see what happens to the Fauxnix Hawk :ohdear:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Wait, they're "just" jump troopers? And here I was hoping for some kind of hosed up armor-plated Zergling/Xenomorph hellbreed...

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

There was a stirring argument made that I should vote for A.

Therefore, I shall vote for A.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

The storm battered at Sergeant Cage’s Awesome, more persistent than any human foe. Rain fell in rolling sheets, pummeling the Awesome’s battered armor relentlessly. The downpour seemed to pause momentarily as her PPCs discharged, the heat of their passage simply re-vaporizing falling rain in a wide swath in front of her.

It didn’t matter, there was always more rain.

Her target, a Capellan Urbanmech staggered as her PPCs stripped over a ton of armor from its barrel-shaped chest. The Urbanmech staggered, then fell a moment later as the sweeping amber lasers of Janos’ Ostroc converted the last of the Urbie’s skeleton supporting the `Mech’s right torso into steel vapor. The `Mech’s heavy autocannon, held in place only by bundled myomer, tore free with enough force to warp the Urbanmech’s few remaining structural supports. One of the snapping bundles lashed back like a rubber band, instantly binding the little `Mech’s gyro. Another Capellan down.

It didn’t matter, there were always more Capellans.

I know this is from like five pages ago, but this is an incredible bit of short fiction. It conveys so much information and feeling in a scant two paragraphs that it is phenomenal. I hope you consider writing full time, because I will buy the poo poo out of your work

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

Dude looks like a Klingon minus the forehead gear

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Guys, we CAN'T choose E, because it's the semi-final matchups! That means if we win, the next combat theater vote would be FINALS, and goons aren't going to choose gladiatorial combat two votes in a row. So the smart thing to do would be to hold off on gladiation now, and come back to it next time when we can be crowned MechWarrior Champions of the Universe in the Solaris Fighting League!

Therefore, since everyone wants a mission off, so to speak, let's go with A! It's a training simulation against (ostensibly) friendlies, so if everyone dies, eh, better luck next time kid. If we win, we get the same(ish) bragging rights, just on the other side of the galaxy

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

~everything~

This thread...

How can I, or how soon until I can, give you my money already?!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

It's hard to derail your own thread with content you asked for and we want. Just sayin

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

All of my backgrounds on my new computer have been of T.G. Xarbala's work. They're just too awesome to not use!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Words about terrible literature

If not for everyone else's commentary about these books (and my own knowledge of licensed fiction in general), I'd have a hard time believing that Stackpole made so many characters so utterly uncompelling. I have no idea what's happening in this book that ties together so many disparate threads, and therefore am left completely unfulfilled by any of their respective actions. Way to go, Kell Hounds, your impending clash with Kurita forces leaves me with exactly zero ambition to find out what happens. Good thing I don't have to, and PTN will suffer the book tell us!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Hmmm, this Suburban 'Mech seems like it would be a perfect fit for my lifestyle and appears to meet all my payload capacity needs. Additionally, it looks like it has a high safety rating for when I'm chaperoning the little ones to the battlefield. But I need to know more about its MPG. After all, in this downturned economy, I need to make sure I'm getting the most for my C-Bill.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Gimmick Account posted:

I think this word is superfluous.

Nah, PTN is saying that Clan Commando has seen worse conditions in training, and friends killed by said worse conditions in hosed up honour-duels, more frequently than she can count. I can only assume, consequently, that clan culture is like a Rube Goldberg machine of death

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Shoeless posted:

Yeah, Conventional Fighters are actually more maneuverable in atmo than ASF since they're kinda, you know, purpose-built for it. Granted, they pay for it with garbage armor potential, inability to use DHS, and a max weight of 50 tons, but they're also fairly cheap. And when most weapons are fixed forwards, being more maneuverable so you can stay in the enemy's rear arc is really attractive.

50 tons actually seemed really goddamn heavy for a fighter plane to me. So I looked it up, and evidently the F-35 has a maximum takeoff weight of 30 tons, so I guess it's not so far-fetched for a future- space- atmo-fighter to weigh 50 tons.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Psion posted:

:hfive: that's the spirit!

Submitting orders now.

I'm bad at one liners :(

Go balls out, son

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

How do Clan gene pools exist? They're all clones of clones of clones (times a few hundred at least). From my rudimentary understanding of cloning, wouldn't that be introducing insane numbers of genetic mutations into the gene line? Like, if you could clone from Bob, 1st MechWarrior of Clan Space Assholes, or his super distant clone (that phrase doesn't even make sense to me) Tim, Performed Satisfactorily in the Face of Clan Space Dickheads, wouldn't you always ALWAYS choose Bob, considering Tim is at this point a really inferior copy from probably a bunch of other copies? Or do they do some kind of mix-y do and whirl em all up for luck of the gene draw, at which point why not just have sex?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So I've gotten the hang of most of the comlang, but some of the clanspeak is still indecipherable to me. This may be due to me attempting to treat it like more comlang, though, which it very well may not be. Besides being an expression of derision, what the gently caress's a surat? Also, quineg (I get the "-negative" part of that, is the first half "quick"?). I feel like there's probably a ton more that I've forgotten about over the course of this 1.7k page thread

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

If you're not First, you're last

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Voting for the Taurian Concordat, because those lovable, nuke-happy space Texans haven't gotten enough air-time, and they look like they want to vie for the crown of "Team Space Warcrimes"

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Congratulations on six years of giant stompy robot action, Poptarts! Looking forward to another year of carnage, mayhem and political intrigue in the Inner Sphere!

Suddenly I don't feel so bad that I don't remember all the missions

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

B, because I can't say no to those plucky little chaps who have the balls to explore deep space and set up outposts there just to troll an ancient enemy

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Information wants to be free. 6. Also, think of the diplomatic bonuses Steiner will accrue with the other Great Powers

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Fraction Jackson posted:

An impassioned plea regarding potential genocide

Goddamn, you have solidly convinced me like no other poster here has. Voting B. gently caress the Clans

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Good news, thread! I completed Battletech Bootcamp at GenCon and managed to keep my Panther mostly intact! I vaguely understand the rules better enough now that I feel comfortable signing up for the pilot list! It's like the people running it said: "We're here to teach you to play Battletech, not play Battletech well" so I should fit right in!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Fraction Jackson posted:

[madden mode: ON]

"Now, see, now you see the coaching aspect of things come into play here again. The defense went into a coverage scheme with a lot of defensive backs, which is what they needed to do. But the offense has some patient, accurate passers on the field, guys who can really make some plays and put points on the board. And these Donars, you know, they're some of the fastest players in the National Football League, but matched up against really big receivers or a tight end, they're not gonna make that tackle every time."

"Ordinarily, as a coach, I'd be more worried about some of the guys on the offense who are looking gassed out there, but it seems to me like they're all playing it safe and changing up their blocking schemes to deal with the new package. You know, the Naginata, the Sagittare, the Mauler, they're not looking too good right now, but they're toughing it out. Sometimes in a big game, even though you'd rather spell guys for a series or two, these star player kind of guys aren't gonna tell you how hurt they are and they're gonna keep playing. You really have to respect that kind of grit."

"One thing to watch out for is that with the offense going for the heavy kind of formation here, bringing in those Roughnecks, now they can pick up the safety blitz from the Summoner real easy. If they can take him out of the play that is a huge win for the offense."

"The other thing to watch is how the Battlemaster and Jagermech move. If they go for easy shots, they're gonna take some back. But if they step up in the pocket, or roll out into the flats, there's spots where they can avoid any incoming fire from those Donars, or at least make the Donars have a real tough time getting hits. The Donars have great speed, but the agility is sometimes a problem, you know, the lateral movement in coverage. So getting into a side arc where they can't hit back, making a move to freeze them, that kind of thing - it could be a real huge play for those two right now."

[madden mode: OFF]

It doesn't get said enough, but I very much appreciate these. They're great, and speaking as someone with a lot more football than Battletech experience, it's very relatable in ways just the map isn't

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Oh drat, strapped into the piloting bench already. Be gentle, this is only my second ride, and the first one had training wheels

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So real talk, tell me a little about my Mech, the Bandersnatch. It looks like a ranged critseeker, so I should probably let my lance open holes and then blow the enemy to hell afterwards? What's the difference between the Slug vs Cluster ammo for the LBX? And does the second LBX come with a toggle to switch between the two types of ammo as well?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Bandersnatch
Not seeing a lot of movement options available for myself and hedningen at the moment. No jumpjets means plodding forward around buildings, and we're kind of surrounded on all sides by those. Leaves us with either the option to roll in force through the middle, or split off into a 2man commando squad to try sneaking along the west flank.

If going through the middle, it looks like I might want to try running to 1346, but since I'd be doing a turn on asphalt, would that force a PSR?

Along the side, I think simply moving forward to 1146, to stay close to a hole-puncher without clogging up movement lanes yet. This could work for a middle meet-up, too, but looking at the map, it looks like there is a subtle push based on positioning of the OpFor to move us towards the west side of the map anyway. Should hedningen scoot forward by running so he can get first crack at opening armor/absorbing hits?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

It works fine in the Federated Suns and Capellan Confederation, where most buildings are only 2-4 stories tall.

Mercenarynuker you're not accepting PMs and I don't have an alternate way to contact you (such as via e-mail) to send you the pilot primer!

Sorry, knew I forgot something when I signed up! Email is username at gmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So to be clear, while we know their patrol routes, do we know which direction they're patrolling (and if so, how?)? Because we might try setting up an ambush on the pink patroller currently in 1437 for turn 3, only to see it gently caress off to the other side of the map. Not to mention the yellow sensor currently in 0340 can cause some issues no matter which way it's gyrating

• Locked thread