Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You know what hurts worse than a kick from a 90 ton assault mech? A kick from a 90 ton assault mech plus machinegun fire.

Seriously, I know MG ammo is dangerous to have and all but gently caress it, you have CASE. On a mission like this you will almost certainly need all the damage output you can get.

If he's going to be spending most of his time at the wall, and the wall blocks the legs, and the machine guns are ON the legs, then the mech has a fun mix of exposed ammo and a machine gun that can't be used unless someone either jumps the wall or breaks through the gate: in the former case, running away and shooting someone else is probably better (leaving the jumper to other machines) than fighting a mech designed for close combat. In the latter case, he may as well kick, as things are kinda hosed by that point.

Regardless, it's an understandable decision: CASE may avoid getting him killed, but he's still going to lose the ability to get a good chunk of his mech repaired if the ammo blows. And maybe he can get the mechbay to put the ammo back in if the MG becomes a logical weapon to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Artificer posted:

I mean they explained their reasoning. The audience and you explained why it might not be a good idea. I guess in the explosive amounts of posting maybe they didn't see? Or they still thought its a good idea?

Put on your goon hat: he's obviously trying to trick us so he can secretly exploit his master crane strategy. Why else would he put them on the map? :v:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Theantero posted:

Right. Let's discuss LoS since I am not super clear on that. Have this visual aid courtesy of MS Paint:

The filled in areas represent the areas I cannot see, assuming my LoS is drawn from the middle of my North facing hex. You might notice that my firing lanes do not seem to be all that great, at least not on first glance.

Which part of the hex I want to shoot at do I have to be able to see? If any part of the hex is fine, then I suppose the cranes might not be worth our time since most of those hexes at least clip my LoS. However, if I need to be able to draw a line at the middle of the target hex, or the middle of its nearest facet, then it would be trivial for the enemy to approach all the way to close range without being threatened by my killguns.

Nevertheless, I elected to shoot the middle crane since I have 16 rounds worth of ammo.

One or two light covers shouldn't block line of sight completely (especially with the defenders elevation bonus), unless PoptartsNinja is using different rules. M8 might block line of sight if you're stationed exactly wrong, but otherwise there should "just" be a penalty to hit.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The cranes are buildings, buildings block line of sight.

One or two light woods is enough to make anything benefiting from the cranes tactically impotent though.

So the cranes are buildings, but the construction area is light woods? If that's the case, then destroying the crane at 1719 makes a fair amount of sense: it's blocking a turret and a fair amount of the road. As for the other cranes at M7, they aren't blocking enough space to be worth using ammo against; in fact, they may even help by shielding the turret.

Attacking M8 was still kinda pointless, though.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

M8 isn't a specific building, it's just the building class (medium) and the height (8 elevation levels / 40 meters tall).

I know, and attacking any of them is pointless. Should have phrased it better as "was and would be pointless".

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I really hope we get a blurb from the OpFor wondering why the hell ComStar keep's shooting at the cranes that offer the least advantage to either side.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
To be fair, anyone gauche enough to actually name their elite military unit "Death Commandos" and paint them black with a skull motif probably deserves to get nuked a few dozen times, at the very least.

Edit: Also, if the Capellan Confederation is mostly Chinese, shouldn't their units be white, not black? Although black seems to be increasingly common in modern China as a death motif as well, so...

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 27, 2015

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Defiance Industries posted:

At least with the DC they wrote in the excuse that the Combine was made all Japanese-ish by a Coordinator who was a galactic-level weeb rather than being actually founded by Japanese people. The CC? They thought they actually GOT IT.

This is so sad: they must have been so afraid of losing weeaboo street cred that they made the Combine weeaboos like themselves instead of an actual Japanese civilization.

Defiance Industries posted:

Remember that BT was written by a bunch of middle-aged white dudes in the 80s.

Ah yes, 80's storytelling...where childish enthusiasm, greed, a distaste for conventional story telling, and drug use all combined to set a story telling bar so low that you could get away with almost any hot mess of a story: "The Death Commandos have decided to ambush a secret convoy protected by an order of knights known as the Paladins of the Round, filming the slaughter so that they can further humiliate and frustrate their ancient enemy. Little do they know that their raid was actually planned by a Comstar spy, who has leaked the Death Commandos plan to an elite unit ComStar ROM unit, 'Blake's Bitches', an all female group who intend to eliminate both sides once the battle has worn them down. The opposing mech warriors have only one hope: a khan and his personal guard who discovered ComStar's treachery by chance, and intend to force ComStar to reveal itself once the battle begins to ensure a fair four way fight to the death. Can the writer insert character prove how awesome he is during the chaos, convincing fans everywhere that he's even more amazing than anyone ever believed possible?"

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I never played much Shadowrun tabletop to be honest, but from what little experience I had, no game without a AAA budget could do it justice. How the hell can you anticipate a character who shoots a mixture of hallucinogenic chemicals from a homemade pressure pump to 'disable' a group of people, and then go kill them with a chainsaw arm? How do you deal with the guy who wants to replace his dick with a powerdrill so he can bust out of a lowtech prison?

Battletech doesn't have quite that level of flexibility, but if the new game is going with less than 30 battlemechs, then there must be a fair number of battle options the developers want to keep limited.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Zaodai posted:

The list of battlemechs they have out now is the list they've confirmed so far. I don't see how limiting the number of mechs really limits your battle options any. It's already 3025, so you're going to be limited in weaponry. Adding a different medium mech doesn't radically alter gameplay within those confines. It gives you a different model to put your same guns on. It might move a little faster or slower, or have jump jets or not. It's not suddenly going to show up with EMP cannons and Plasma Rifles and completely bring new mechanics to the game.

No clan mechs, no omnimechs, probably no LAMs...I can't help but think that the "what the hell is that?" moments we've seen in this LP, when mechs with new abilities suddenly show up and throw the players through a loop, will be missing from the proposed game. Since surprises like that are something I'd like to see in a singleplayer campaign, far more than a sudden ambush by a lance using weapons and configurations we already know how to deal with, the mech number/ battletech date seems like a worthy concern.

Edit: Looks like Blake's boys are gonna get flanked from the left and the right while the tanks go straight down the middle. Maybe you should focus all your mechs on right flank, then activate the turrets to slow down the left most mechs/surviving tanks? By the time the left mechs reach the gate, you might be able to focus almost completely on them.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 30, 2015

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

TSEMP use is ultimately up to the player, but I would strongly advise against using it this turn. It's risky, and this early in the battle your teammates are going to need consistency you won't provide at a +2 to-hit.

I know it's a neat new toy, but TSEMP is a weapon best saved for when things start feeling a bit dicey and you need something eliminated (or marginalized) now.

The answer is now clear: fire the TSEMP at the cranes. It's the only logical tactic. Once the crane is disabled, get out there and kick it down.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

VolticSurge posted:

If this wasn't a BT thread, I'd think you were talking about the Ultramarines.

If the new Battletech game ends up with a Dawn of War 2 level of character writing and plot, then the writers will need to be taken out back behind the studio and put down, Old Yeller style. That might seem cruel or over-the-top, but I think we can all agree that it would need to be done for the sake of future generations of gamers.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: :staredog: Ok, that just happened.

or

PLACE YOUR BETS NOW, FOLKS!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Ablative posted:

Why is there even a button for that

Why do the jihadists have a suicide-bomber option? The Capellans will be lucky if there isn't a nuclear bomb under the whole facility.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tran posted:

Can I just reiterate that I'm really happy team war crimes won their campaign?

?

This is the same planet; the power rangers haven't won anything...yet. Of course, with Lu Bu on their side, it's only a matter of time. Unless the other team has a harem and/or a bitchen' horse, of course.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Somebody pick up that phone...

thetruegentleman posted:

Why do the jihadists have a suicide-bomber option? The Capellans will be lucky if there isn't a nuclear bomb under the whole facility.

Because I loving CALLED IT!

Edit: Sucks for the civies on the coast though; have fun with your new status as war refugees, courtesy of fallout and no electricity! Try not to die in a week.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 9, 2015

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, I don't see why ComStar would have to conceal what happened at all.

They can point at this incident and say "If you come at us, you can't beat our defenses without coming with overwhelming force. And if you do commit overwhelming force, you will lose that force when we detonate the Spite Nuke. Do not gently caress with us."

Tran posted:

You guys are talking about how space AT&T might play it as team war crimes nuking their base, but there is another more straightforward possibility. Comstar could simply point to the smoking crater as a warning against any who might think their power is waning. There are Comstar bases on every planet worth a drat, if even a fraction of them have a nuclear deterrent then it is a very bad idea to pick a fight.

There IS a reason everyone got together and banned nukes after the fall of the Star League, you know: turning habitable worlds and rare production facilities into radioactive holes was/is a terrible idea, and if nukes hadn't been used in the first succession war(s), the Great Houses wouldn't be getting pantsed as horribly as they are right now.

Never the less, the Cappellans are going to have a hard time even finding someone to whine to, as they're currently limited to whatever communication systems they have that aren't controlled by Comstar ON TOP of their reputation as horrible liars/blatant war criminals. Karma's kind of a bitch.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

DatonKallandor posted:

The capellans took out the HPG. They wouldn't do that unless they had their own alternative, but even if they don't, nobody is gonna know about anything that happened on that planet. Hell if they think they don't need Comstar anymore, they could be doing the same thing on other planets at the same time. What's Comstar gonna say? "Oh our HPGs in Capellan space all went dark, we're weak enough for them to take us, the great and terrible comstar out on multiple planets simulatenously"? Other Houses might get ideas then, because I'm pretty sure nobody really likes having all their mail going through and read and maybe even altered by Comstar.

Comstar's C-Bills are literally the basis of the inner-sphere's finances; even if the Capellans learned how to both use *and* make HPGs, they would still be practically reduced to a barter economy with everyone outside of Capellan space, and even inside of it the Capellan citizens would still be screwed by the sudden collapse in HPG capacity.

The only saving grace for the Capellans is that their system is small enough for starships to mitigate some of the lost capacity, and stable enough so that the Capellans don't have to fear everyone exploiting their situation.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

The Merry Marauder posted:

You, ah, you don't need someone's permission to denominate a transaction in their currency.

C-Bills are backed by Comstar transmission time: if there's a risk (or a guarantee) that Comstar won't let them be used for that purpose, than the C-Bills worth as currency is too questionable to bother with. Unless the Cappellans let people exchange the C-Bills for their own currency, (despite the C-Bills having no worth to them) anyone who does business outside of Cappellan space just got hit with a big loss.

PoptartsNinja posted:

99% of the population of the Inner Sphere will ever touch a c-bill anyway.

Is space-trading not widespread enough in the Inner Sphere for a major disruption in the Cappellan economy to matter?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Leperflesh posted:

No? I assumed the currencies were floating.

Just as a real-world example, the fact that it takes 500 Japanese yen to purchase a loaf of bread that would cost four dollars in the US, tells you nothing (by itself) about which currency is "stronger." If you have a record of Yen-to-dollar exchange rates, that gives you a lot more information.

Even when currencies are pegged, such as the Yuan's peg to the dollar, rather than floating: a single spot exchange rate isn't informative in a vacuum.

So, if we know that some house's currency is pegged at 0.8 to the C-Bill, that does not mean that house's currency is "stronger" than C-Bills; same with a floating currency currently exchanging at 0.8 to the C-Bill. It's a completely arbitrary factor. For all we know, those house units that are currently 0.8 to the C-Bill were originally issued just a year ago at 0.01 to the C-Bill and they have absolutely collapsed in a runaway inflation over the last six months to fall to the obscenely bad 0.8 level!

Most of us are accustomed to a certain integer amount of our familiar local currencies being worth X, and it's natural to think that another currency where you need a lot more integers of monies to buy the same thing must be weaker; but that's just not the case, at all.

Japanese yen is kind of a bad example, as the yen system resulted from the dollar being used to back the yen post World War 2 to control inflation in Japan; a result of government policy that lasted long enough to enforce permanent change, not 'natural' market forces. If Japan had been left to its own devices, it probably would have created something "bigger" than the yen to simplify financial transactions.

C-Bills and house currencies, by contrast, are all using the same currency structure, so one currency changing wildly in value would be *very* bad.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
C) The Red Corsair

The clans are way too busy with the whole "war on the inner sphere and/or Amaris" thing to ask for help from them, and Amaris could very well be crazy for all Duncan knows.

Comstar makes a fair amount of sense (for now), but Duncan still has reason to believe they may be involved with Amaris, since his messages to the border worlds keep getting conveniently lost.

The Red Corsair, meanwhile, has proven both able *and* relatively trustworthy, so she's likely to actually do what's being asked of her, unlike almost everyone else. The real fun, of course, is that Duncan will probably expect her to ask for either money or mechs (that's what pirates usually want), when she's really more likely to make him swear on his honor to support Skye. Needless to say, if Skye gets a secret alliance with both the Free Worlds League *and* the Steel Viper clan, then they could very well manage to throw a massive wrench into Amaris's plans, which is the kind of set-back he needs to remain interesting.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

TheParadigm posted:

And then there's the Clans. The thing is, in the Inner Sphere, when you're putting together a VIP hostage rescue operation you don't use battlemechs. You get extraction teams, air support, fast-moving transports. Mechs are good diversions, but you want swat teams and security details to get a person out safely.
When that's what you're looking for, the clans offer something you can't get anywhere else: Highly trained, ridiculously equipped, elementals are pretty much the ultimate commandoes. The IS doesn't have anything that can compare, and the clans don't even care about their secondary forces(much) because of their warrior culture glorifying mechs.

There's a problem with this though: Carlos hasn't actually been captured. In fact, if he HAD been captured, it's very doubtful that Marik would be considering any of this at all, for too many reasons to list. Point is, what Marik needs right now isn't a SWAT team, but a Panzer Corps: people who can push from the FWL territory straight through to the occupied planet Carlos is on, and hold it while the FWL troops catch up.

Marik can't just go the planet, grab Carlos, and run: he has to make a rescue operation look like a counter attack for political reasons. Luckily for both of them, the whole planet just became a symbol of Capellan oppression, so it's a logical target for a campaign.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Endomorphic posted:

There would be a nice symmetry - given that the players recently had to hold a massively fortified position against far superior forces - if the players now had to take some superior forces and break through a massively fortified position. This is, after all, a "rescue" mission.

This has a pretty high chance of happening: seizing or destroying the Cappellan government's planetary palace, or space port, or something like that. The other big possibility is that Carlos will be under attack when Red finally reaches him, so Red will have to break through enemy lines to reach him while Carlos and his men hold out.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The sun will blot out their Arrow IVs.

Then we will fight in the day!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Night10194 posted:

Lu Bu got loving PURSUED.

Achievement unlocked:

quote:

OK, you can pursue Lu Bu

Defeat Lu Bu for the first time.

And bonus points for doing it with a melee weapon.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

terrenblade posted:

Lu Bu, why do you have no pilot hits :ohdear:

Maybe its being piloted remotely, like the case with the Rim World guy? We wouldn't want to completely castrate the Capellans by killing all the special scientists they need to stay relevant, in a galaxy that may end up with two massive power blocks that take up nearly half the galactic map each, after all.

Ok, I actually *do* want just that, because I hate the Capellans, but it doesn't make for a very good story.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why would scientists risk themselves on the battlefield when there're plenty of people they can have do the job for them?

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Advise 'Liu Bei' that the Phoenix Project is to follow us once they’ve finished their battlefield tests."

This is kind of ambiguous; I thought that meant some of the clan scientists are at the battlefield itself to get test results, which would mean they're at risk.

I know, of course, that killing all the scientists can't actually happen, since they aren't even all there (that was just hyperbole), but ending the battlefield test by wrecking the clan based machines and killing the Phoenix Project folk would still make me cackle like a madman.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Psion posted:

Look at all these people taking this scenario way too seriously by actually trying to play the game correctly. why back in my day we just submitted orders without even knowing if they were legal! Uphill in the snow both ways!

:v:

People are actually invested in these characters though: sure, it's fun when you can fire a long-tom into a mech's crotch, or when the the round comes down to two burning husks desperately trying to kick each other to death because they both lost all their weapons, but we also like to see assholes get their geese cooked every once in a while!

As a side not, never actually try to cook a goose: all that fat is a goddamn nightmare of smoke and scrubbing.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Leperflesh posted:

What you do is, you barbecue a goose in your outdoor grill. Set up a (deep, big!) aluminum foil catch pan, put a little water into it so the heat stays moist, and then cook your goose over indirect-heat charcoal for a few hours at medium heat. Be sure to add some water-soaked wood chips for smokey flavor - probably not mesquite, go for like applewood or similar.

The goose will dump a gallon of grease into the pan, which you just throw away, and the rest of the greasy smoke lining your grill will just burn off the next time you use it.

If only I had the time to actually cook outdoors; and it wasn't going to rain over the weekend. Also, throwing away the grease seems like such a waste. Maybe I'll be able to give a try sometime though!

I will always wonder how a bird that can actually manage to fly makes that much loving fat, though.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Voyager I posted:

There is a potential risk of the last remaining enemy trying to finish off Carlos while he's down, but it's still unclear whether the enemy knows just how important it would be to kill him.

Right now, he doesn't really have the luxury to think about which downed mech would be the best victim, because he'll need every bit of processing power to survive the next minute.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

"If I have a shot that has a chance of hitting with any of my weapons, I take it."

On a day when I'm exhausted I could easily misread that as: 'only shoot if all of my weapons can fire' or 'fire everything if even one of my weapons can hit.'

Just say "I fire everything in range at [target]" instead. You don't have to get fancy. :shobon:

Isn't he basically saying he only wants to shoot his weapons if he has a better chance to hit than to miss? Maybe something like:

"I fire everything in range at [target] if the chance of hitting with each individual weapon is [greater than X]"

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Dolash posted:

Eh. The Capellans were at a pretty big disadvantage, since even if they brought down the VIP's mech (which they did) it wasn't a win for them and they didn't really have the BV muscle to win the deathmatch (imagine if that Thunderbolt hadn't been headshot!). Basically outside of a lucky hit the more notable characters weren't in much real danger.

It still feels kind of rough for the Capellans that turfing the Grand Titan didn't net them much. Turning it into a "hold the field" scenario seemed like a good excuse to bring in the rest of the Project Phoenix mechs.

The Capellans had no reason to expect their enemy would get reinforcements, and they had every reason to keep this fight a secret; so yeah, they didn't have much chance. That said, there are a LOT of VIPs on the field, so giving the Capellans a "fair" chance for a deathmatch would have been overly stressful to the players, on top of the stress that comes from forcing the players to adapt to an enemy that wasn't playing by the rules.

In other words, the scenario was actually pretty fair: the players had a big advantage on paper, but the fog of war really balanced things out by bewildering the players.

On the fluff side, I hope this is a sign of the Capellans digging their own grave: the FWL may not have the ability to work out what the Capellans are doing, but the Steel Vipers, Skye, and the FWL working together is another story entirely: the FWL has data on the Star Leagues mechs now, so they know these machines are new, the Steel Vipers know these are omni mechs that are far different from anything the Clans use, and Skye is filled with people who are actually competent.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tran posted:

I know, I know, two dimensional representation of three dimensional space, but it certainly looks like the Amaris clan was planning their defense against the clans for a long time. There are scattered outposts all around the periphery. They're either listening posts so Stefan can track clan movements, or staging grounds to screw with resupply attempts. Either way, some clanners are in for a surprise.

Defense against the Clans? Oh no, Amaris doesn't want to simply fight them off: he wants to win the fight his ancestors started. A fight Ducan and Friends just brought him one step closer to finishing, thanks to the formation of the new Star League. Poor Duncan; I do so hope he gets to shoot Amaris in the face before all this is over, because the FWL keeps getting used, abused and beaten to the punch.

I bet Duncan will have a real fun time drawing up his plans to take over all the FWL Comstar facilities from scratch, now that the Cappellans have taught Comstar that their facilities could use some defensive upgrades. Poor bastard. At least he got Carlos back...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

lilljonas posted:

So looking at that map, is Amaris positioned to be the current Big Bad Guy with a huge secret empire, powerful weapons, and a grudge against pretty much every other faction that he has a border with (and some that he doesn't)?

I wouldn't be so sure: see those 4 purple dot minor powers that create a big gap in the RWR territory? They must either be too powerful for Amaris to risk taking by force and too organized for the RWR to easily subvert, but at the same time, not dangerous enough to concern Amaris, since he's willing to leave his 'back' open to them while he fights in the Inner Sphere. On top of that, all of the major production/population centers would be close to the Inner Sphere, unless the Amaris family has been building state-of-the-art factories too far back in their territory to be useful in war, for some reason.

So basically, most of that 'territory' would only be useful for gathering materials for use back near the Inner Sphere, with one exception: notice that bit of RWR territory on the back of the Lyrians? If the RWR have been massing forces there, and if the Lyrians send their forces to Skye, the RWR could take almost everything with little resistance. Alternately, the RWR could wait for the second invasion to catch the Lyrians off guard, and then offer an "alliance" in exchange for military help. The Lyrians would take it, trying to buy time, only for RWR troops to show up as soon as the ink is dry to help the Lyrians "reinforce" their war-critical planets. Either way, I don't envy the Lyrians...

Edit:

Rorahusky posted:

Would explain why, while he did manage to kill Amaris, Kerensky was unable to dislodge the RWR forces from terra and got driven out of the Inner Sphere vowing revenge.

Wait...what happened to Amaris body, if Kerensky killed him without taking Terra? Could the new Amaris actually be a clone of the original, and not a descendant? Think of how the clans would flip their poo poo at that.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 4, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Zaodai posted:

I don't think the big gap is necessarily a sign of unconquerability or strength in this case. The current Amaris seems to be cultivating a public reputation for benevolence. You don't get that reputation if go around poo poo stomping random one world minors for their mud dung huts. Any world he can take peaceably (by offering them industrial aid, which itself strengthens the NRWR) gets them new members AND makes them more appealing to the neighbors of the newly added world. If the NRWR is not hurting for resources right now, why would they go out conquering a bunch of backwater planets? They can afford to let those planets warm up to them over the years, as it's not like they're competing for worlds with any other major power.

Think of it this way: why would a small group of minor powers refuse to join or ally with the Rim Worlds Republic in the first place? If the worlds are backwards or oppressive, the RWR could enter as liberators even with a small force; if the worlds are more advanced, why wouldn't they join the RWR for the economic and military benefits?

Basically, the best explanation is that the Rim Worlds Republic is weak in that area, which likely means that most of the Rim Worlds Republic territory isn't nearly as valuable as the territory that exists in the Inner Sphere. Otherwise, why would a big chunk of the Free Worlds League break off to join them peacefully, but not a small group of minor powers?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Honestly, I don't think the Mariks are in that strong a position, with the Capellans nullifying the Comstar interdiction. They are effectively blind and half-crippled (given SAFE's comedic level of incompetence), Amaris is apparently so strong as to be using Andurien (a FWL planet to my knowledge) as his bizarro-Tukayyid "capital" without worrying too much about what Duncan might think about that, have two-plus Clans tearassing through their space (even if they are content to ignore the FWL, the FWL is weak enough to be ignored), and they are probably still in a war with the Capellans that is still up in the air even after they got a favorable Interdiction. What positives the Mariks have on the board are limited, cancelled out, or nebulous.

The New Star League is promising, but too new and unformed yet to count on in terms of support, or the demands likely to be made on it. Are the Clans likely to share technology with the FWL? If not, are we going to be looking at the Intergalactic Incompetency Championship between SAFE's industrial espionage department and the Clan Watch's counter-intelligence service? Are the member Clans' actually committed to stomping out the NRWR like apparently all true Clans are supposed to? Will the whole NSL be drawn into that as a result?

Also, I just wanna say it is funny that while Duncan is the guy we heard ordering that plans be made to take over ComStar's HPG network, it is the Capellans who ended up doing it.

All of the bullshit Marik has to deal with is a big reason why he's so popular: everyone else has a few major problems to deal with, while the FWL is basically drowning in them (sabotage by Amaris and Comstar, the Capellan offensive, roaming Clan ships, incompetent officers, etc).

As for the Capellans, the Comstar interdiction was only partly nullified: they still can't communicate with other states or use C-bills (presumably), and there's also no guarantee that they'll be able to actually run all the facilities they captured, much less repair them (in the canon timeline, the successor states all took over the Comstar facilities eventually, but were quickly forced to ask Comstar to help operate them, thus changing very little in their actual operation). The Capellans also just declared war on Comstar, who still has their hidden army/navy, on top of a lot of money to hire mercenaries with; Amaris may also be forced to take action against them, if he wants Comstar to keep backing him.

Which is good, because both Liao and Amaris are annoying amazing at everything they do, so at least one of them should experience a failure that doesn't get spun into a success.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Zaodai posted:

The Cappellans have Clan scientists, and the Clans know how to build and operate HPGs. This may be less of an issue for them than it would be the cannon IS houses.

Ordinarily, I'd say that capturing one clan-conquered planet's worth of clan technicians couldn't possibly have given them enough people to both run the network *and* develop new weapons, but since the Cappellans went through the trouble of capturing all of the Comstar facilities, it only makes sense that they have some way of getting them functional, so :shrug:.

Maybe Dr. Wily built Coms Man at the same time he built his Mech Robot Masters.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've been having a heck of a time coming up with something worthy of a political vote after writing the state of the Inner Sphere fluff.

Who's up for some mercenary contract negotiations instead?

What the hell, why not: we've benched these mercs enough as is, and the LP started with the Kell Hounds, so starting again from the intermission with some more mercs helps to make good book ends.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Zaodai posted:

The guys who understand the HPGs could write a manual. Or maybe the Cappellans have captured Clan manuals. They don't need to individually run every HPG, just be the troubleshooters that get called in if stuff goes completely nutso. They don't need to be there to power cycle the equipment, just if the transmitter suddenly catches fire.

If one user can't figure out how to send email, you can point them in the right direction or train a guy in 15 minutes to find most of the common causes. If the Exchange server explodes, THEN you call the guys who actually understand the workings of the system.

The problem is less about sending messages and more about making sure each message gets where it is supposed to go. Basically, the Cappellans need to do the following:

1. Clear each HPG array of any viruses or self-destruct programs.
2. Repair each HPG as needed.
3. Adjust each array to break contact with non-Cappellan controlled systems, to avoid jamming or HPG virus uploads.
4. Re-align each array so broken to re-establish contact with the rest of the network.
5. Pray they capture the Class A HPGs intact so they don't need to re-align the entire network continuously.

I'm assuming that the Cappellans already have a list of their "home" space HPGs and where these HPGs should be pointed in case of interdiction, but the border worlds would be much harder to both capture and align correctly, which is a problem, since these worlds are the ones where quick communication is the most important, either to counter an enemy attack, or to exploit weak points in enemy lines through use of reserve units.

Not that I actually expect any of this to come up or matter, mind you: the LP is called Battletech, not Space AT&T Logistical Operations Director. It's just kind of an observation about how difficult this kind of operation would actually be, even without worrying about the success of operation 'Multiple Simultaneous Offensive Deep Strikes'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The HPG network is basically a radio that teleports the signal to its destination before the signal expands out, so precision isn't required in most cases. For things like text and basic images, hitting the right solar system once is perfectly fine; start transmitting computer programs, however, and you either need to keep blasting a star system until the download finishes, or transmit with incredible precision with fewer blasts.

The real 'value' of the network is that it can transmit large programs across the entire Inner Sphere reliably, but the Cappellans obviously don't need to worry about doing that, so the biggest difficulties of running the system aren't something they have to worry about.

As always though, anything that involves FTL is going to clash with established science.

• Locked thread