Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Man, Hastur is looking more and more frightening by the moment. 3/4 Pilot in a 'mech with quad Large Pulses and the ability to either focus fire on a single location with all his guns with Impending Doom or go crit-seeking with Humiliate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Oh hey, Forced Withdrawl rules. That should definitely help out the Players in running off Davion's goons, since you don't need to worry about putting down every last one of them.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Oh that was beautiful! Lining up a shot on that valkyrie, and then it's head popped clean off like a cap of a beer bottle. XD

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Not directly related to this thread, really, but seeing as how it is the best thing to come out of MWO ever so far, I had to link it here for a wider battletech audience to enjoy:

The Urbanemech cockpit item.

That... is /amazing/.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Getting shot out of the sky does that.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

And Hastur continues to be a murder machine, though what I find even more amusing is that poor bastard Firestarter that got tagteam kicked to death by him and the Atlas.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Ah, Clan Elementals waiting to ambush all those juicy 'mechs that are hightailing it from the battle. Very very sneaky Practical Ponies.

Also, I am pleasently surprised at just how much damage the PCs have managed to cause this scenario. They've only lost two of their 'mechs (though a few of the remaining ones are in pretty bad shape) while managing to cut the Davions' forces down to 2/3rds of what they had to begin with. Even if the Davions win out in the end, I doubt the people in charge are gonna be thrilled with having one of their regiments so thoroughly thrashed by a force only a third their size.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 9, 2013

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Sadly it was only a matter of time before the Goons hit their Combat Lose Grouping, IE: The point where they've taken such a beating that a bunch of dudes just start dropping in rapid succession. Still, they're not out of the game yet and they've sure as hell done a number of Davion's forces.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

That was a painful round to be sure, but at least Hastur is still being awesome, what with cutting a second enemy mech in half with his stupidly awesome ability.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I'm sure the Clans will fix that Territory Bloat the Davions have right quick.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

While we're on the subject of terrible books, my personal >:E novel would be Day of the Dragon, for being all build up with absolutely zero payoff. We get some crazy psychopathic murderer who wants to kill the heroine but never does, we got some rear end in a top hat Kuritan Warlord to goes to war with the heroine's faction only for him to never end up facing the heroine or any of her troops because he is an idiot who pastes himself across the landscape because he's too stupid to realize that trying to perform an orbital drop when he's so sick he keeps trying to turn his stomach inside out might be, ya know, a bad idea, and finally we get the heroine arbitrarily getting rewarded at the end by the Coordinator for basically doing nothing the entire book while her enemies either killed themselves off or arbitrarily switched sides for baffling reasons.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Calax posted:

... You sure it's not some other [noun] of the dragon? Because day of the dragon is the first book in WARCRAFT not Btech.

My bad, it's Daughter of the Dragon.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Ahahaha, always wonderful to see another crazy charge pay off! I was always fond of charges, especially since an incident in my youth involving a Fireball, a Gunslinger, and a level 4 sheer cliff. :3

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Holy poo poo I know that movie!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

jng2058 posted:

I think we need to clarify that the whole agro-mech with MGs thing was new for Dark Age. 3025 was still about straight up Battlemechs fighting other Battlemechs. Battlemechs were rare and precious, sure, but you rarely saw battles that weren't about Battlemechs vs Battlemechs.

The difference between Succession Wars era and the later ones was that even through 3025 if your 'mech got destroyed, you were hosed. You've just lost a nigh irreplaceable heirloom from a bygone age. You may have, in fact, just had the only thing keeping your family in the nice house back home blown to hell because you weren't smart enough to dump your MG ammo. It also meant that if you were playing in-era style, especially in any kind of campaign format with permanence, you played to preserve the 'mech. Not only was it worth it to lose a battle to keep from losing your 'mech, but it was the correct decision. That town, that city, hell in many cases, that whole loving planet is not as important to you as keeping that walking robot on its two (or occasionally four) feet. There was even a term for a Mechwarrior who lost his or her 'mech. Dispossessed. It was a Mechwarrior's worst fear, because even dying in battle wasn't as bad. If you die they can hose your remains out of the cockpit and get your little sister into the cockpit. If the 'mech is lost, then your family is finished.

Why were the Death Commandos so feared back in the day? Yes, they were badasses, as the current battle shows, but even more so it was because in an era where keeping your 'mech intact was the difference between life and death for your whole loving family, the Death Commandos would sacrifice everything, including their Battlemechs, to get the job done! The Commandos were terrifying because they didn't play by the same rules as everybody else.

Later on, though, if your 'mech got blown up, you requisitioned a new one from the depot and got back to the fighting. It didn't mean anything anymore. Maybe you had some emotional attachment to your first ride, but if you lose yours, oh well, no big deal. I wanted a bigger ride anyhow. Hell, in the Clans, no one owns their own 'mech. You pick your machine based on the mission, configure it the way you want, and get to it. More efficient? Certainly. But it loses the value of the machine. A Battlemech...a true Battlemech...is important. It's a god on the battlefield, challenged only by other gods. Losing one is a tragedy, and killing one a major achievement. An Omnimech, as used by the Clans, is just another vehicle with guns. It's modular and replaceable, and if if gets destroyed it matters only vis a vis how it affects the ongoing battle, not as something important in of itself.

That's why I prefer to play in the older eras. I want my giant robot to be a precious artifact of war, not just a disposable ride. There are lots of games out there that I can play to get science fiction warfare. Battletech, at its best, was one of the very few games where I'd go out of my way to keep my units alive even if it meant sacrificing tactically to do so.

And that was because the game managed to impart value into the giant robot...even if only for a little while.

You my friend are a god drat poet. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Another thing I really like about 3025 era Battletech over the rest of the settings is just /how/ much emphasis is placed on salvage. You absolutely need it to function, and for all the tales of grand battles that decide the fate of worlds, sometimes all you need to make a good story is a stirring tale about that day a lone Infantryman became the master of a walking titan of destruction because of a single rocket launcher, a good perch, and the patience to wait until the time is right. In later eras, you just don't get that because of the aforementioned disposable-ness of the Battlemechs. Capturing an enemy ride just doesn't have the same emphasis, nor does it have the same mystic as it did in those early days when getting your own Battlemech was the equivilant of a Rags to Riches tale.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

All this talk about the system and how X build is so OP is exactly why a lot of Battletech gamers tend to go with only Stock Designs, because customs tend to fall into the realm of Munchkins and Minmaxers who think that anything that isn't optimized is garbage. I will take my 'eh' but still endearing stock 'mechs or salvaged and slapped together 'whatever we have on hand' kitbashes over some BS Min-Maxed Murder Machine any day.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Oh god my sides

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I hope you continue on with this idea, because the entire series deserves to be mocked in this fashion. XD

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

'Who here hates the Capellan Confederation?'
'Who?'
'Who?'
'Sure, whatever.'
'WE DO WE DO!'
'Wait, what?'

XD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

God damnit Poptarts, you're making me wanna cheer for the Death Commandos!

I never thought I would ever be cheering for the Death Commandos.

You are a terrible, terrible person.

(That said, c'mon Goons, you can do it! Kill them all! :black101:)

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Now he needs a commercial where cans of Mountain Dew fly at high speeds towards the open cockpits of 'mechs dropping from orbit.

Great, now I am picturing a comercial just like this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBBPJtqr34I) only involving Giant Robots and Mountain Dew.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Lots of crits this turn. :getin:

Oh dear. :ohdear:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

One Shadow Hawk down, another with a bum leg screwing up it's movement, most of our guys weathered the damage fairly well (Though that double Engine crit is worrying), and Steve finally got his paintjob scuffed. :argh: Overall, not too bad of a round.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

BoxOfAids posted:

This. But man, this is A LOT closer than I would have expected, I really expected Goonlance to get stomped in this one, but it's a bloodbath for everyone instead!

That's what happens when the side with the superior numbers decides it wants to send it's forces piecemeal into the teeth of the enemy. :v:

Though to be honest, I too was kind of expecting it to be a little one sided at the beginning, and I'm plesently surprised by how well Gooncompany and Goonstar have aquitted themselves against the Grenadiers.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Vadoc posted:

I'll toss it into spoilers, just in case.
After crippling his mech doing something stupid, ending up almost completely helpless and about to be deservedly killed, he scores a lucky hit with his one remaining weapon on the cockpit, which cracks the window and then explosive decompresses since it was an airless moon.

Actually, the weapon that killed that dude in the Trial was an LBX Cluster shot. The Small Laser bullshit came later after Aidan Pryde had been left stranded on Tukayyid and decided to go out all :black101: and poo poo, killing 'mechs left and right with the single laser he had left.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Don't worry guys! By stealing these tiny, dinky little battlesuits, we shall unlock the secret behind XL Engines! :pseudo:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

`Mechs never block line of sight. Quad `Mechs can go Hull Down, but a crouching `Mech isn't much shorter than a standing one and so can't hide behind a level 1 hill. You can go prone, but that limits the number of weapons you can bring to bear and forces a piloting test when you stand. `Mechs aren't articulated enough to sit.

A general rule of thumb for BattleTech Line of Sight is: If you can shoot it, it can shoot you.

Man, I would love to see a Battlemech just park his rear end down right in the middle of the battlefield like a grumpy 5-year old taking a tantrum and refusing to budge. It'd be hilarious.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've been calling him 'Chris.'

Also, it's been bugging me for a while, but in the early parts of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy there's a fairly consistent reference to an "ancient Pre-Clan Ronin" named "Mifoon," who roamed the Kerensky cluster a few hundred years before.

I couldn't remember why this bothered me until today. In the space future of the 1990s, Akira Kurosawa films will be passed down via the Clans' Oral Tradition. :ughh:

Hahaha, wow, really? I knew the Clans were a little :downs:, but that really just takes the cake.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

On one hand, losing the Rifleman's other arm is very painful. On the other hand, watching that cyclops pop up out of cover and just ****ing mug that poor Sunfire was all :black101:, especially since it survived doing so.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I find it drat hilarious that Hastur is little more than a head and a torso on legs and yet he still won't stop coming.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Another turn spoiled by lack of Line of Sight. Still, if the members of GoonStarCompany did have LoS, the Battlemaster would probably be able to hit them back, which wouldn't be a good thing, what with all the medium lasers that thing has plus the Heavy PPC as well as the state of the armor on the Star Colonel's Stormcrow or the Vindicator...

Also, that last straggling Shadow Hawk of Grey Company refuses to die, and seeing as the only GoonStar Mech chasing him is the Rifleman IIC missing its main armament and almost shot to poo poo, plinking away with his ER Small while trying to kick it, it isn't surprising that G9 is giving as good as it's getting. Good thing that Torso that was just ventilated didn't have anything all that important in there, what with its primary armament already gone and no ammo to blow up...

I wish you guys could end that thing already... Too bad the Rifleman IIC doesn't have the MP for a charge and has no arms to push with...

I wouldn't give up hope for Hastur yet. All it'll take to fell G9 is a single Small laser hit or successful kick to that wounded leg to put the Shadow Hawk down. Unfortunately, the same could be said of Hastur, as his legs are looking bare and exposed as well.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

So, I was browsing through the Tactical Operations handbook today, when I spotted a weapon that would be /perfect/ for the next time the Inner Sphere side in the thread squeezes out a few more technological advancements to try and close the gap between them and the Clans. One in fact that is entirely within their ability to develop, and has in fact been tinkered with all throughout the Succession Wars.

The Binary Laser Cannon.

Essentially, it's two Large Lasers rigged up together, with all the redundant parts stripped out. Same range as regular LLs, but with high damage and even higher heat.

In the actual canon, they never really made it past the experimental phase because heat issues early on in the timeline, while later on they got tossed to the wayside because there was something always more effective to use instead, but in the AU Continuity, we're at that prime point in time where such a technology might make it into full production, especially with the DracSuns fielding their new Heavy PPCs. I could totally see one of the other States developing Blazer Cannons as a counter to Davion's new BFG.

Just an idea, because I'd love me some Double-Barrel Laser Shotgun action. :D

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 27, 2013

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

Pilot/Crew/Asset Mortality Rating Per Deployment: 66/98 = 67%

Join Battletech today, where you have only a one in three chance of dying horribly! :D

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

/Wow/, Steve just freaking GHOSTED his way around all that combined fire. :stare:

Color me impressed.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Voyager I posted:

There's no need to be wasteful. If you wind up with prisoners somehow, you might as well interrogate them for everything they know and maybe think about holding onto the officers if they'd be worth anything to the Davions.

Something tells me that the only reason the Davions would want the battalion commander of this mission back is so they could interrogate him themselves to find out what he told the Caps, and then court martial him for managing to lose pretty much his /entire/ command in a single engagement not even an hour after planetfall. They need some kind of scapegoat to blame for this disaster after all.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Hastur is sitting behind the undefended Hells Horses dropship right now isnt he? Couldnt he just get on the spaceboat and guarantee a mission win? There are only three enemies left, they might be inclined to surrender if they think the dropship will start shooting at them.

Actually, I believe Poptart's said there had to be no enemy units within 5 hexes of a dropship to consider it secured, and unfortunately S3 has parked his big fat rear end 4 hexes from the ponies' ride, so the Goons are still going to have to dislodge him before they can hop aboard.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, at this point Hastur is better off boarding one of the dropships once the way is cleared. That way when the dropships burn out of the atmosphere, at least /someone/ from the mission will escape. Not a whole lot else he can do with his one small laser and his boot in the face of three Assault 'Mechs armed with murderous firepower.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Whatever happened to the steiner captured in one of the earlier missions?

Last I recall, she was helping her new Clan make a Bigger Beatstick and teaching them Steiner-style gutstomping techniques.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Man, looking back at the beginning of the Jeronimo campaign, it's only now that I realize that we've been trucking around with the Death Commandos for just over 8 months now. This has been an amazing series of missions! Will be kind of glad though once it's over with and we can see what the rest of the Inner Sphere has been up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Hmmm, with Skye having broken away from the Lyran Commonwealth, does this mean the Lyrans now no longer control Hesperus II and it's 'mech factories?

• Locked thread