Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hey tool thread.

I just bought my first home, and will likely need good tools for home repair/upgrades and some light wood working (like a workbench, simple shelves, the standard 'babby's first cutting board', maybe eventually a kitchen table.)

I'm wondering what I should start with. I've got an ok drill/driver, but that's it. I figure some sort of saw should be first, but should it be a table, circular, or mitre? Or maybe try to 'split the difference' between a table and mitre and try to snag a used radial arm saw? I see several on craigslist from $75-$200 all the time.

I know they aren't all comparable, and that with a mitre I'd sacrifice the ability to rip and cut plywood for convenience, a table is the most versatile but most expensive, etc... But I'm just looking for some advice on a good starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Space is certainly a concern, as I don't have a ton. Garage is a no-go, it's a 1-car...and barely a 1-car, at that. And no way my GF will let me make it a woodshop, unless I then take the task of always cleaning the snow off her car in the winter.

So that leaves the basement, which maybe half of it free for me to use, so that's about an 8' x 15' space. So I'll probably go with a circular saw at first, since at least then if I have extra large things that need to be cut, it's easy enough to move it outside with a couple of sawhorses or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Black Friday deals?

I bought a 6 piece Ryobi kit for $200: Drill, Impact, Sawzall, Oscillating Multi-tool, Circular and two of the high-end (grey) compact lithiums. Pretty solid deal actually.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Ultimate-Combo-Kit-6-Tool-P884/203466936

Well drat. I could have sworn that when I first looked at this in November it said the $200 price was good till February...but now it says it's $260. :(

I guess it's just as well, I got Lowe's GCs for X-Mass, not HD.

So...any good cordless combo sets at Lowes? I would like it to have an impact driver and small circular saw, and one of those oscillating multi-tools wold be great, too. Reciprocating saw I don't have a huge need for, and I have a decent drill, though I can't imagine it's possible to find one with a driver and c. saw but not a drill.

Maybe piece-mail is the better way to go? I dunno, I feel that once you get to two tools, you're already at like 80% of a combo kit's price, so might as well go that extra mile for another tool or two and carrying bag.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Have you managed to find that "Diamond in the Rough" yet?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Does anyone know what the big differences are between these two Makita sets?

CT225R
XT211

The second one looks better to my eyes and is $10 less. 3 Amp-hour batteries instead of 2, a hammer driver-drill, and an (IMO) easier to transport hard-case instead of soft bag (though the bag probably makes it easier to also transport the charger and batteries?)

Edit: Oh, and then there's this one which looks like the first one only white colored and $20 less?
CT200RW

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 1, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Seconding brushless--you get much more battery life and tool longevity. Also nthing makita--I had no idea just how awesome cordless tools could be until I picked up a set.

I've considered them, but these are just for home use, and will easily go days, maybe even a couple weeks, without needing to be used. Although it's also the middle of winter, so it's not like I'm going to be doing any projects around the house, and that will change come summer.

I dunno...I know in the grand scheme of things, another $50 to upgrade to brushless isn't much, so maybe I will.

Is this the current go-to for Makita brushless?

And only 2.0Ah batteries, another $50 to get the kit with 4.0Ah batteries., and I also saw a kit with 3.0Ah batteries for $289.

Granted, I've only looked at HD so far, but that's because I've got $100 in HD gift cards waiting to get used...I've got $75 in Lowe's GC, though it looks like Lowe's doesn't carry Makita, but I'm not 100% attached to them, but they seem like a good balance of quality and price.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

wattershed posted:

What device do I need that'll tell me how many watts an outlet can handle?

I have a couple of outlets in my kitchen that are the "-| |" style ones that are supposed to indicate they are the 20A outlets, but how do I know for sure that I can plug in a 2000w appliance - a heat stick, in my case - and not have bad results?

Is there a tool that I can insert into the outlet and determine what load it can handle safely?

Find the breaker for the outlet and make sure it's 20A.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Squibbles posted:

:monocle: apparently I should be sharpening my mower blade more often

Yeah, I think I"m going to have to look into that, too. I've got a Dremel, so I'm halfway there! :haw:

Related to mower-chat: I was gifted a Neuton electric mower from my dad at the end of last summer when I bought my house. I hated it then, and when I first dragged it out of the garage for the first mow of the season last weekend i hated it moire. The winter was not kind to the battery (I guess to be fair,m I shouldn't have kept it outside in the cold.)

I didn't want to buy a new battery because they're over $100, and I figured I can just go on Craigslist and get a halfway decent used mower for that much that does a better job. This electric can't handle long grass.,..or medium grass...or any grass, really.

But then I found out I can just open up the proprietary battery case and inside are just a couple of relatively standard SLA batteries. Got replacements for $40. So once they come in I can see if all my issues with the mower are just because the batteries were dying, and also possibly the blade being too dull to cut butter.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The answer is remove all nails, replace with proper deck screws.

I'm currently in the process of planning to re-do all my deck boards, and I can tell the original boards (which, despite a bit of rot, are IN PLACE and used screws) vs the ones the previous owner haphazardly replaced (which are now all lifting up because they were just nailed in place...and likely not even the right kind of nails, if the rest of his lovely DIY is anything to go on. I'm half expecting them to be roofing nails when I finally pull them up.)\

Edit: Which actually does lead me to a question:

For the replacement of my decking, I'll need some sort of saw...I imagine I can do the crosscuts with a table, circular, or miter saw, but I'll likely need at least one board to get ripped for the last piece, so seeing as I own none of those saws, and I can only budget for one, a table saw would be the correct choice, right?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

I will say, I've been nothing but impressed with all the Makita poo poo I've bought over the last couple of years. The impact wrench zips off axle nuts without a hiccup, the circular saw is freaking awesome for everything from sheet goods to old growth hardwood in my attic, the oscillating multi tool absolutely chews through plaster, lath, and studs no problem, I use the battery led workshop floodlight like every other day for instant portable daylight, the impact driver is hands down my favorite tool ever made. I use the drill with 4" hole saws and footlong 1" wood augers without even a slowdown, and I've abused the sawzall in ways that can only be described as criminal. I can't even tell you how many sawzall bits I've accidentally bent at 90° angles mid cut, and that thing just keeps on trucking like nobody's business. The angle grinder is my only disappointment, because I don't have any 5 amp hour batteries, so the grinder didn't last as long, but I've never run out on a project with twp 3 amp hour batteries in my arsenal. Good stuff, really good stuff

I don't have nearly as much experience with as wide a variety of tools, but I agree. I used to do summer work for my uncle (private contractor), and he had a mix of DeWalt and Milwaukee. My personal stuff is Makita and so far I prefer Makita, though to be fair when I worked for him it was like 10 years ago so it's not a fair comparison.

The only downside (for me) is that Lowe's doesn't stock Makita, and both of the Lowe's near me are closer to my home AND office than the one Home Depot.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Home Depot has a few Makita's on sale right now:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Labor-Day-Tools-and-Hardware/Makita/N-5yc1vZcedgZyg

$100 for one of drill, driver, angle grinder, drill+driver combo (only 12V), or two batteries.

Most people here probably have a drill and driver already, but $100 for an angle grinder or a couple spare batteries isn't too bad, right?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Let's see you guys saw through a 4x4 in under 8 seconds.

https://i.imgur.com/tbQ076U.gifv

drat, that's Sikh.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Anyone know any good Cyber Monday Jesus deals?

Yeah, Home Depot has a whole bunch of "Buy a kit, and get 1 or 2 free tool" packages available for a few brands:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Power-Tool-Combo-Kit-Savings-Two-Free-Power-Tools/N-5yc1vZcf31

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

If I'm looking to get some decent quality hand tools, wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, and the like, what's the current "go to" good homeowners brand?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

This week's Nor'Easter has convinced me I cannot own a home in VT any longer and not have a snowblower. Shoveling cannot cut it (well, it can and did, but barely...one shovel broke, and it was all at the expense of a lot of my time and my back...seriously, for the past two days my back has been in so much pain it's unreal.)

I don't have a ton of driveway, maybe about 20' or so, plus I have to make a few paths in the backyard for my dog, but I think I might still need a two-stage. We can get a lot of snow...even before this week, the last couple storms put down about a foot each.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Depends on if you're willing to get out there an keep up with it while it's snowing or want to just be able to do one pass in the end.

I don't mind doing a couple passes while it's still snowing...after all, I have to do that now with a shovel anyway, so no matter what it's still easier with a snow blower.

I'm just doing some cursory looks at HD (will probably avoid buying for the moment, aren't there usually end-of-season sales on these things?) and it looks like the "budget" brand is PowerSaver? Never heard of it, reviews are in the 3-4 star range. It's also hard to compare when I see ones within a brand that are so drat similar, yet might be priced a hundred bucks apart...or priced nearly the same, yet one looks much better.
Like, these two:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerSmart-26-in-208cc-2-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Headlight-DB7103-26/205790525

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerSmart-24-in-212cc-2-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-DB765124/204746556

The second one is 2" less width, but 4 more CCs, and $10 more...makes no sense.

Though those are sale prices, "original" price does have the 26" at $100 more than the 24", so is that 26" a better deal? I don't see 4 CCs making that big a difference. Otherwise, both look drat near the same. 6.5 HP, electric start. Though the 26" also has a headlight (of mild help, I have a street light right near my driveway) and a "drift cutter", whatever that is.

If I go up a bit to a "recognizable" brand name, I see this Cub Cadet for ~$700:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-24-in-208cc-2-Stage-Electric-Start-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Power-Steering-2X-24/207161450

Is it worth an extra $160 for it? Has much better reviews, and more of them, too.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 17, 2017

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There's a couple of spots a few miles from me near a marina that sell ethanol-free gas, so I if/when I get a blower, I should be ok just getting that, right? I don't need that $20/gallon shelf-stable stuff?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Related to tape measure talk, can't beat the classic Stanely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-AlTvciSQ8

Something I learned from the video (well, one of the things, but one of the more interesting things):

A decent 1" wide tape measure will extend 7' without "breaking".
A 1 1/8"" wide measure (i.e. the Fat Max brand) will go 11 feet.

Just something to consider if you're thinking of getting one that's only .75" wide.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

X-Post from the fix-it thread:

I'm installing new baseboard this weekend, and it's got me thinking about maybe getting a compressor and nail gun (since I've got so much I have to install...I could do it by hand, but it would take a while.)

Lowe's has a pretty good deal right now on a Hitachi 6-gallon pancake compressor WITH an 18-GA brad nailer for $150.

My concern is that 18GA brads might not be secure enough for baseboard. It's pretty standard size, 9/16" wide by 3 1/4" tall. It IS 'finger-jointed, pre-primed', though, so part of me wonders if 16GA finish nails might be too damaging? I've never worked with finger-jointed pieces before.

If I do need a 16GA nailer, there's a Bostich deal that's a same-sized compressor and comes with an 18GA gun, 16GA gun, and a stapler for $200. But I'd prefer not to spend that much since I'm already buying a miter saw for this (used, at least, but still costs money.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

coathat posted:

A miter saw is never a bad decision.

I mean, if you got the money, right?

Speaking of, I just got a pretty good deal on a lightly used Bosch 4212L from Craigslist. Only $100. It's missing a couple set screws, but I can easily get replacements.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

If you need a small, pancake compressor, Amazon has a Bostich on sale for $99
https://smile.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-BTFP02012-WPK-6-Gallon-Oil-Free-Compressor/dp/B06Y2LQ5QJ

Comes with a 50' hose and a small accessory pack for inflating various tires, tubes, and toys.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I don't have a shop, just do some work around the house:

1) Cordless drill and driver...not sure if they can count as 1, but they are typically used together.
2) Hammer
3) Leatherman (and sometimes what ever blade is within reach if a knife is all I need)
4) Hand screwdriver
5) Mitre saw, but only because I've replaced a LOT of trim and baseboard recently. Otherwise probably needle-nose pliers or wire-strippers.

Oh, unless you count the vicegrips I had to use for months and months to operate my dryer when the knob broke.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Amazon has a deal going on right now where $275 gets you two Makita 5.0 Ah batteries, a dual charger +carrying case, and then you get to add on two 'bare' tools for free.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SMV11S Batteries

quote:

Makita Promotion
Buy a qualifying Makita 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Battery & Dual Port Charger Starter Pack, and receive two free Makita bare tools. Here's how (restrictions apply)

Here's the link that has the tools that qualify:
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=11105713011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Makita is doing a deal right now where you can buy a two-pack of batteries and a charger for $250, and get two tools free. Makita's excellent quality, moreso than you probably need, but the tools will be reliable and last a long time. And besides, you need a circular saw, or a weedwhacker, or a sawzall, or something in addition to the drill, right? :v:

Unfortunately the trimmer's not part of the deal.

After clicking that link, you have to make sure to select the "Makita Starter Kit Promotion" tab on the top.

The tools that are part of the deal are:
Two impact drivers
Two driver/drills
Two hammer driver/drills (the term "hammer" applies loosely to cordless tools.)
An angle grinder
An orbital sander
A circular saw
A reciprocating saw

The difference between the blue and black versions of the drivers and drills is mostly size and weight, I think, with the black ones being slightly smaller/lighter than their blue counter-parts.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Just a heads up that Amazon is doing a 1-day deal on some DeWalt tools.

Not a lot there, but maybe someone here has really wanted a biscuit joiner?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Thanks, I think I'll pick up that router

I was actually thinking about that, too. I don't have one, but I was wondering if a plunge router would be better? If I only had one, I suppose maybe a kit that has interchangeable fixed and plunge bases?

For that matter, what advantages does a fixed have over a plunge? It seems to me that the plunge can do whatever a fixed can do, right? But it can also plunge.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Side note, with a table saw (makes wide boards narrower), miter saw (long boards shorter), planer (thick boards thinner) and a router (plain boards fancier) I should be about done for "major" type tools. Right? Please? My wallet begs for a "yes" answer.

If you want to do more "woodworking" type of things, a jointer might be something to consider in the future, but a router + router table can sort of do the job.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Got what I think is a pretty good deal on a router + router table a few days ago from CL.

$50 for that, plus accessories like inserts, a couple bits, etc...

And the router table is already mounted on a small bench with some storage underneath for everything...all I have to do is maybe attach some casters so I can move it around easier.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Good recommendation for miter saw blades? I need a fine-toothed one to replace a bunch of trim/baseboard in my hallway, and just wondering if there's a "decent, but not super expensive" one that's maybe a step or so above "contractor grade."

If it matters, it's a 12" blade.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of DeWalt, if someone needs a drill/driver, the brushless set at Amazon is at all all-time low AND includes an impact-rated bit set.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I just purchased a moped, and with that comes lots of fiddling. To do it right, I'll need a torque wrench or two...hopefully just one, but it might be hard for a single one to cover the ranges I need.

The bolts holding on the clutch case are low torque, only like 6 or 7 ft-lbs, but I know I'll also have to go up to at least 20-30 ft-lbs. to put the clutch itself on, and other parts might need more torque than that, I haven't read through everything yet.

I don't see a lot of options in my first couple of searches, most ones that can go low enough to do 6 ft-lbs/72 in-lbs can't go high enough to do 20 ft-lbs, and vice-versa. I'd rather not have to spend $100 on a set of them just to get this otherwise inexpensive moped up and running.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Harbor freight ones are decently calibrated and are dirt cheap. Always go there with a 20% off coupon or two, and torque wrenches go on sale a lot for :10bux:

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61277.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61276.html

Cool...I was thinking Harbor Freight probably had ok-ish ones, that second one looks like it's perfect for the range I need, and I found a 20% off coupon and also got a free LED light, can never have too many of those.

Sucks there's none close by to me and I have to wait for them to get shipped, but I'm waiting on some moped specific tools anyway (clutch puller, piston stop bolt, etc..) so hopefully they arrive around the same time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of trimmers, my battery-powered one just died (a whole shitload of grass clogged up the motor and it burnt out.)

I'm looking for a replacement, but I have a question:
Is it just me, or are the shafts on cordless trimmers always short? I've never had an issue with gas or some plug-in ones, but every cordless one I've used has such a short shaft that I've had to hunch over awkwardly to use. I prefer ease of use of the cordless, and I have a small lawn so I've never had an issue with battery charge running out, but if I can't find one with a long enough shaft I'll switch to gas or corded for the sake of my back.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 10, 2018

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Not a lot of time left, but Amazon Prime Day has a deal on a 36V Makita blower with two 5Ah batteries and charger for only $212.85.

Considering that two 5Ah batteries by themselves are $200, this is a pretty good deal. I will probably just sell the blower, since I don't need it, but now I have bigger batteries for my circular saw, and I'll probably buy a 36V cordless trimmer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Was driving to a friend's house the other night and one of his neighbors had these guys sitting out next to his trash bin:

The scroll saw's table doesn't stay square/at the angle you set it to, seems like the threads on the knob that locks it in place are stripped, so that should be an easy fix. The sander initially didn't start, seemed like the motor was seized, but I banged on the side and it started, though it was pretty squeaky, so I think if I clean and grease it it'll be good to go.

Not a bad deal considering they were free.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Figured this would be the thread to ask, I ordered some stuff from Harbor Freight. The tracking shows pending status with a city in CA which makes me think they don't warehouse anything much in the US and my order is coming from China. How long does ordering online with HF usually take?

Look, you don't get to buy tools that cheap without making some sacrifices.

In my experience, they are SLOW. If you didn't pay for faster shipping, you're getting FedEx Ground, or whatever the opposite of priority mail is with USPS.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Cross-posting from the home ownership thread.

If anyone isn't already bought into a power tool system, Home Depot has a killer deal going on right now in their stores. Check the website to see if your location has this item:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...P1837/305439006

If they do, you can get it and any two items from an extensive list of bare tools and batteries for $199 total. That's 5 tools and two batteries for under $200.

You can also use this deal to expand your tool collection. When you buy a multiple tool deal like this in store, the receipt should list a maximum refund value, which is based on the percentage of the total before the free tool discount. You can then return one or two of the items and get that amount back. Put simply, if you buy the kit and get two $99 tools for free, you can return the tools and get $50 a piece back bringing the kit to $100.

Truth be told, you can probably craigslist or eBay some of the extra tools for more than the return value, so that might be a better option as well.

You sure that's right right deal? All the ones with the free tools are showing to me as separate deals for $229:

Maybe it's just my local store has a higher price point?

I wish I had Ryobi stuff already, because I'd totally do it for two free tools that I don't have, then return the drill+driver+saw "core" kit since I already have those (and a couple other things) for Makita. But if I did that, I'd then have to still get a battery+charger set for the two tools I was left with.

Or go all in on Ryobi and try to sell my Makita stuff to get the money back...

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 18, 2019

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just picked up a 99 ford ranger that I'm going to start doing some work on. One of the things I've been meaning to buy is a torque wrench.
If I'm doing automotive type stuff, is the cheap rear end harbor freight one good enough, or do I go middle or top of the line?

What's up, 99 Ranger buddy? :hfive:

(Ok, technically I have a Mazda B4000, but it's the same truck.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

All of my small poo poo "just works" since I started using trufuel or similar, and after replacing carbs form when I was running regular fuel with stabil in it.

You may not know, but figured I'd ask you since you use Trufuel a lot and like it.

Do you think it'd work in a 50cc 2-cycle moped engine? I have one from last summer that I just ride for fun, not for actual commuting, so the extra price negating the good mileage doesn't matter to me.

But since I just got it out of storage and now have to clean out the carb and all that fun stuff to get it running again, it got me wondering if it would work...or maybe just have my last 'run' of the year use the engineered stuff to clear the gasoline out of everything?

And as a corralary, can I get the 4 stroke fuel and add oil to make it two stroke, so I can use the same fuel for my lawnmower and snowblower? Or will I have to get both varieties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I don't think the 1x4's and laminate planks would be wide enough to effectively clamp that on the ends and have room for the circular saw's built-in guides, unless you're only ripping off, like, 1/4 or 1/2".

Though maybe you could put the 1x4 or flooring on top of a piece of plywood and then clamp everything onto that?

Personally, I'd just try to find a halfway decent used table saw on CL for like $50-100.