Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

stl plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was also about to suggest a mini chainsaw a la AvE.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oxy-acetylene torch for me. Amazon boxes don’t stand a chance.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
But if you use the wrong color, did you even get real work done?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah just scrape it against some pieces of wood periodically and the rust should stay under control.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
While you were all futzing around with angle grinders OP was studying the blade.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Turns out lots of people have studied the blade ITT.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Why does your wife live in a forest? Are you Shrek?

Also it is very clearly labeled a gentleman's knife.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just don't pick the wrong color.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I guess they charge extra for the mirror polish.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like the idea of a spool of hose you can carry wherever, then connect it up to one of several taps on the wall as needed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Proper application of a propane torch can take care of any problem.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't buy PPE from amazon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
An engineer's scale shows tenths of an inch for use with civil drawings at scales of 1 inch = 10^x feet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Might be on a framing square to allow it to also be used for measuring stuff on site plans.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is a good summary:

https://www.mcmaster.com/casters/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

:lol: @ that sales pitch

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We regret to inform you that it is all disposable these days.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My parents bought a riding mower the first moment they didn't have any kids still around to shove the fleet of pushmowers around their 2 acres of grass.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ein klein nicked musick?

Ok by.

:golfclap:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My dad got one of those rigs when he decided he wanted to get into home sawmilling so as to not have to give as much money to Big Lumber to feed his woodworking habit but apparently it does a pretty assy job of making usable boards.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have this one, it works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X9VZ70/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Then you will have to buy an endoscope with a shorter focal length to troubleshoot the gun after retrieving it from the disposal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Choose your affinity:

1. Mechanic - heat it up, apply lubricant, use a pipe to increase leverage
2. Welder - weld on a piece of scrap to give better grip / leverage
3. Machinist - mill out the offending part
4. Carpenter - hammer on it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Communicating six messages via two LEDs is pretty good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
@dril is a funny Weird Twitter celebrity.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

withak fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 3, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Idk.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No masonry hammer??

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bike pump is fine for bringing a slightly low tire up to spec, but takes forever to actually fill it by any amount.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s not a pressure thing, bike tires usually need higher pressure than a car. It just takes a much greater volume of air to change the pressure in a car tire so a much greater number of pumps.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

Just gonna cross post this additional endorsement of the team green fan:

That's a good dog.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s some kind of natural law that the weight of a motor is always about right for the tension of its own drive belt.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Presumably the laser reflects best off of a surface of the matching color.

More important though is that the selected color not clash with the colors of your other tools.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sounds like a fun 3d printing project to me! Make a holder exactly you to your specifications!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was what everyone used to measure stuff before we had the materials technology for flexible metal tapes. I still use one because it makes a more useful scale than a measuring tape when taking photos of dirt and rocks inside of pits.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

E: Every now and then I still see people using surveying "sticks" in that style. I don't envy them.

Those are leveling rods, and are designed to be read accurately through a fancy self-leveling telescope from far away. You can’t substitute one of these without losing your license.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Some kind of tradesperson moved in across the street from my mom recently, and today while visiting I watched his 5 year old son with a Milwaukee oscillating tool and a corner sanding attachment just going hog wild on a log. That kid is either gonna be a master tradesman or have zero fingers by the time he's 17.

There are a lot worse ways a kid could spend a day.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A 100’ steel tape that old is probably a surveyor’s tape.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Could be! I don't know enough about surveying to speak with authority one way or the other, but I do know that 16 1/2 feet is a magic number in that trade (length of one rod). "Nubian" :yikeseroo:

Mostly I was thinking that a surveyor was (and still is) the only person who needs to care about measuring things ~100 feet in length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would clamp it in the vice and go at it with the file. Angle grinder might work but I would be worried about one tiny twitch loving it up. Maybe if you will have to remove a lot of metal to get rid of any notches.