Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I posted about this in the vinyl thread but I think this crowd might have some good insights too.

I recently came into possession of a Nakamichi 'Receiver 2' along with a Turntable and I'd like to build a music-only system around them:

quote:

It's a Nakamichi 'Receiver 2', circa 1990- which I can't find much on aside from the fact that people are selling them for anywhere from $120 to $350 online- which isn't bad at all for a piece of kit that cost $650 new. It's in fantastic shape (To think that we once tried to offload it for $30 in a tag sale a decade ago). My dad gave me that receiver outright and it sounds pretty great. Only complaint is that it's 2.0/4.0, without a subwoofer output. It's 55W but I have no idea if that's necessarily going to be a bad thing. The top of the line ('Receiver 3'- $950 new) had 75W so I'm not sweating that too much ATM.

As for speakers, I've got some $25 plastic-shelled Indoor/Outdoor KLH's hooked up at the moment. They sound like garbage. Since the receiver's 2.0, I'll be wanting something with good bass production, probably of the floor-standing variety (again, advice would be lovely. What can I expect in difference between say, some Mordaunt Short Carnival 6's versus a pair of Carnival 2's besides loudness?)

Basically, my same question stands. I've been told that I can run the receiver's Pre-out and in through a subwoofer with a high gain pass through- or simply plug a y-splitter to the Pre-out and plug that into a sub. Are these options both viable (low price is a factor)?

And if I want to keep the system 2.0, should I go for floorstanding? Are the Mordaunt Shorts I mentioned good options or are there better suggestions? I really like them in brown calvados finish (at this point, I think they're by far the most attractive speakers I've seen in their price range that have some reputation for quality), but the only Mordaunts I've listened to are somewhat out of my range ($500-600 tops) so I've been basing my thoughts on reviews- which have been generally really good.

Mordaunt Short Carnival 6's
Carnival 2's

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SmutAnEggs posted:

I was able to find a closeout deal on Paradigm's Monitor 7 v6 fronts, Atom v6 rears, and a CC-190 center.

1.) Where is the best place to purcahse your speaker stands from? I'm looking between a 24-30in stand for the Atoms. The Paradigm official stands run about $150, wondering if their is a better option out there? The Atoms dimensions are (HxWxD) (10.9x6.49x10.15)

Monoprice? They're in the "speaker accessories" section.

Also Newegg/Amazon.

Or build your own. As long as they're not falling over or vibrating heavily enough to affect sound, it's pretty hard to gently caress up speaker stands. Just take 2 flat wood/MDF boards and separate them with a beam or some pipe or what-have-you. If you want sound-dampening, get some sand in the base/pipe.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I posted about this a few months back in the 2-channel thread, but given my circumstances as a shopper, I figure it's worth asking here too.

I've got a vinyl/laptop stereo setup that I've cobbled together from secondhand parts. It's served me well for the last year, but I'll be moving into a much bigger space at the end of the month. Along with the added space that I want to fill with sweet noise, I'm working to make this apartment look a bit more grown-up in terms of furniture and decor than the post-college hovel I currently live in. As such, I want to make my stereo a focal point. I have a snazzy cabinet picked out but I've been looking for some new speakers for a while and I'm a bit stumped so far.

My current setup:

-An early '80s Vector Research turntable- It's great but it's my dad's and he wants it back. I'm replacing it over the holidays with a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, in neon green :swoon:, for good measure.

-A Nakamichi 'Receiver 2', circa 1991-92. I inherited this one and it sounds fantastic. I know it's not quite from the fabled era of Nakamichi history, but it's not quite from the era in which they turned to poo poo either- it's right in between. As far as relevant specs go: Power output: 55 watts per channel into 8 ohms, Frequency response: 20 to 20,000Hz, Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (phono), 150mV (line), Signal to noise ratio: 78dB (phono).

If possible, I'd love to keep this where it is. There doesn't seem to be almost any information on these receivers online, but I've seen them go for $100-$350 in the last year, and they cost a good $700 in their day. It's a solid piece of kit. That said, I'm afraid that the power might be a bit on the low end for "house filling sound." It's plenty loud in its current place but it will be in a room almost 3 times as big in the new apartment.

-A pair of Technics SB-K14 three way speakers ($16 at Goodwill). These things are massive and they look decidedly old-school. Unfortunately, they're also pretty chintzy and their output's definitely on the wimpy side. They were in maybe the middle tier of the low-end in their day. That said, at 92dB/Watt at 8 ohms, they're more efficient than your average bargain basement speaker- which is a good thing for this amp, I think (I honestly know very little practically about pairing speakers with an amp). They've sounded solid in their small room, but I can tell that this won't necessarily translate to a bigger space.

To make a long story short: I want some speakers that will pair well with my 20 year old 55 WPC Japanese stereo receiver. Am I right in assuming that trying to run proper 3 way towers will prove a bit much for the Nak? I've been leaning toward a setup that includes a powered sub with speaker level ins/outs and a pair of 2 way towers or standmounts.

All the earlier stuff about decor and making the stereo a focal point? I like attractive looking speakers. I like woodgrains (fake or real) and browns and I hate copious amounts of obvious plastic (ie: the old Polk Monitor series). I also seem to have a thing for speakers that are kinda off the beaten path- as in not the same 5 brands that Newegg and Best Buy have. However, I've also got a budget of $500 (+/-$200) to stick to.

As such, I was looking at stuff like:

-The Mordaunt Short Carnival series.

-Fluance

-The new Polk monitor series (although I'm not a fan of the silver colored speakers).

Any and all suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

A couple ideas come to mind. First, the receiver should have pre-outs so you could get a power amp and use any pair of speakers you wanted to.

The obvious speaker choice is Klipsch, especially if you find speakers from around the same era. Maybe a pair of Klipsch Heresy would suit you?

Another choice that might work would be some pre-1980 vintage Marantz speakers. Maybe HD770 or HD880, if you can spare the space and deal with the looks. May be hard to find in good shape, which is a shame.

If you want modern stuff: Magnepan (you really should check these out if you go with a power amp), Gallo, Tannoy Revolution series. Maybe B&W 685.

Aw, man. I should probably have mentioned that I'm moving to another city for work and grad school. This move's eaten up a lot of my savings- and I'm not gonna be drawing much in the way of income (to say nothing of disposable income) for a while- probably 2-3 years.

I really don't want to go the separates route. In part, it adds complexity to my setup. It's also money that comes out of my budget- and something I probably couldn't justifiably afford. The Nakamichi has cost me a total of $0. Dropping another $300 or whatever on an amp means less money for speakers too. But if you really think it's the best option, and you've got a suggestion for how I could do the amp and the speakers for less than ~$800 that doesn't involve waiting for a godsend vintage find, I'd be totally open to the idea.

That aside, I don't have the room for those big Marantz speakers anyway- or really the time to find a pair in good shape- and a pair of Klipsch Heresy would practically double my budget, and then some. Let's table those options for when I'm at a different place in my life. I'm 99% sure the receiver alone would never be able to run a pair of Maggies well, so those get tabled too- though I'd love to get a pair at some point down the road.

I'm still going to be living in an apartment- so speakers that can fill a large hall with loud music are kind of overkill, not to mention a police visit waiting to happen. I'd be comfortable with moderately loud speakers that sound really good that I could maybe put in a bedroom/office setup sometime in the future.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind.

There's a guy near me selling off his <year-old B&W 685s for about $80 less than retail. It seems like they'd just about fit the receiver's power capabilities (88 db sensitivity- assuming this guide is correct). They only go down to about ~50 Hz, so I imagine that a subwoofer would be in order if I went this route. Would any of the Polk Audio ones on Newegg work out well? The PSW505 is $250 and the PSW10 is $80- I know they're not the best things in the world, but they're arguably the best affordable ones- I could always upgrade later.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 6, 2012

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

How bad an idea is it to put my 5.1 subwoofer in a cabinet like this (the back would be open)? I'm designing it, so I could move it around a bit (or remove the floorboard in the subwoofer part, for example).

The cabinet is 6', which would put the l/r speakers at 3 feet from the middle (according to Dolby that would be a good placement), but my main problem is that I can't place it by the cabinet's side (room size and other furniture), so if putting it inside the cabinet is a bad idea, I'd have to re-design the bloody thing.

Regardless of where the port is, that sub's gonna vibrate. Covering the port or putting a cabinet wall in its line of fire might make the vibrations worse- and it may severely impact the sound that comes from the sub or even damage it. But even if the port is facing out and unobstructed, the sub's vibrations are still going to travel through the cabinet. It's tough to predict how that would impact your listening/viewing experience. It might not be a big deal or it might make everything loving unbearable. If you're planning to stand your TV/other speakers/media player/games console/picture frames/assorted knickknacks on the cabinet too, it's worth considering how the sub's vibrations might impact them as well.

If the sub must absolutely be there (and can't go in the back of the room or in a corner somewhere) my one big suggestion would be to maybe cut the bottom out of the cabinet under it so that it's resting directly on the floor. Maybe cut a square out of the floorboard, leaving the front/back edges intact so that you maintain visual continuity.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Low Carb Bread posted:

I have a living room about the same size and have a 5.1 system with two towers and an SV Sound 12" cylinder sub. There is no overkill. IMO you are better off with towers but those look like good bookshelves and will be totally fine - but I would get a sub.

Laserface posted:

Thanks. youve been helpful.

floor standing is kind of over kill, the room is only 3m x 5m, and the TV is on the long wall so we are pretty close to the TV. the current system (Pioneer HTS-GS1) works well but its THD is pretty rubbish in comparison, and the speakers are kind of small. I want somthing with a bit more range so I dont necessarily need a sub, or a sub that can be hidden away better since its not also acting as the receiver.

I was considering using AudioEngine P4s for the fronts, A2s on the rear and buying a decent center channel elsewhere since they dont make them. I have Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1s on my Mac and love the sound so I guess thats a starting point. I hardly ever notice rear speakers so I am really considering not even having them, but then I think maybe its because my setups have always been HTIBs that arent that great in the first place...

considering the Marantz NR1403 + an apple TV as the 1603 only airplays audio, and working out what speakers later down the line.

I can vouch for the P4's. My parents have a pair as L/R fronts for their small den home theater and they are well-performing speakers with impeccable fit and finish for the price. I can't comment on the black finish, but I've seen the white and bamboo variants and both look really snazzy. You shouldn't have much trouble filling a medium room with sound from them. That said, they're on the small end of HT, so they really benefit a ton from a subwoofer- even something fairly cheap like an entry level Polk Audio deal from Newegg.

As for using a pair of A2's as surrounds- you're aware that they are self-powered speakers, right? That's not to say that you can't use them as surrounds- in fact, I remember the Audioengine website having a suggestion somewhere on how to do it. Just know that it won't be as simple as "plug the speakers into the L/R surround jacks on your receiver." You'll need a way to bypass the amp output from your receiver and just send a signal without "over-amplifying." There are both wired and wireless solutions around. But to be honest, unless you've got a specific reason for having self-powered rears (like if there's absolutely no way to run wires to the back of your room or something), I would stick to passive speakers (maybe another pair of P4's).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Opopanax posted:

This probably isn't the right thread but it's the closest thing I can find to a megathread and I'm sure someone here will know.

I know you're not supposed to put electronics right on top of a sub due to the magnets, but we're redoing the living room and I need the space. I put a small coffee table on top of the sub and there's a little over an inch between the sub and the table; would it be safe to put a record player on the table or is that still a bad call?

I would strongly avoid putting a turntable anywhere near a sub. For one, the magnets might gently caress with the electronics in the cartridge- probably if it's of the moving magnet variety. Turntables are pretty susceptible to electromagnetic interference in general so putting a big speaker an inch away won't do you any favors.

Also, the vibrations are probably going to wreak havoc on your playback quality and there's a possibility of scratching your LPs or damaging the needle.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 29, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

Redo your wiring from receiver to speakers. Sounds like there's a loose strand of wire somewhere that keeps overloading the receiver. Check also that the wires are insulated all the way through.

And if that doesn't take care of it, I'd look at the wires and connections inside the speakers too (if you can). Those connections can corrode or come loose over time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Does it have to be 3.1/soundbar? Can it be 2.0/2.1?

I feel like a lot of the people looking for these sorts of setups for a bedroom/secondary small-space TV deal would be way better off with a pair of good, compact self-powered speakers or something of that sort- with maybe a small powered subwoofer added on for extra bass.

Like, if the goal is to just get way better audio than what the TV's built-in speakers can provide (and maybe also play some music out of it) then something like a pair of Audioengine A2 or A2+ or A5+ is going to give you way more bang for the buck than a cheap soundbar will.

If you've got the sort of space constraints that would make you go with a 3.1 setup over real surround sound (5.1+) then a good stereo/2.1 setup will be just as capable, if not better. I've honestly never understood the logic behind 3-speaker. Hell, as far as I'm aware most input devices don't even have an option for it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 4, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

I have been mulling buying a center channel for my stereo setup. The reason being that not all movies have a stereo track so dialogue can at times be drowned out by other sounds.

Huh. I stand corrected then. Still doesn't seem worth it for a second setup to me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I really like this DAC for optical stuff. DACs can be dirt cheap when you get rid of the USB compatibility and this one can be left plugged in pretty much indefinitely, so there's no annoying extra switching that you'd have to do.

Just make sure you get the D03K "Taishan" model and not one of the earlier versions of D3. Apparently the production of those had a lot of issues.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MMD3 posted:

ahhh this could be good for me then, so assuming my onboard PC soundcard has optical out I can use one of these for headphones & pc speakers rather than a USB DAC?

Sure, but I'm not sure if you'll wanna plug your headphones right into this. Ideally you'll want this to go into an amplifier of some kind. Same for speakers. If you're talking about the sort of PC speakers that you run right from the headphone out of your computer, you're probably not gonna see an appreciable benefit from using a DAC unless they're something good like Audioengine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Guys, I'm back with a basic, dumb question.

Recently moved into an apartment and wanted to get a decent sounder. I don't need total submersion ultra hi-fi type audio quality, but I'd like something nice. I read some reviews for "apartment sounders" and the Yamaha YAS-108 was rated as the best on a few, but with a lot of these tech review sites, the top pick is usually just "whichever company paid to have this rating article made" so I'm anxious about getting it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good soundbar? Worth noting we only plan on having the soundbar, not any other speakers or subwoofers, at least for the TV itself.

Don't get a soundbar, get a stereo receiver + 2 speakers and a sub, you will be much happier.

If you insist on getting a soundbar, that Yamaha one is probably fine though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

couldcareless posted:

I'm looking for a good 5.2 or 7.2 (is that the correct numbering for atmos?) receiver with eARC support for the new TV. I currently have a 5 piece Jamo speaker set that's been doing me good, just looking to expand current setup over my current Denon AVR 1613. Any good recommendations here? I'm not well researched in this department.

Budget? Assuming that Jamo set is in the $400-$900 range, I'd look at the brand new Yamahas that were just released in that price range. Then look at Denon, NAD, and Marantz (but Yamaha seems to be hitting it out of the park everywhere these days)

There should be a thread stickie in the OP that says: "have you looked at Yamaha, Denon, NAD, and Marantz yet?"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The new ~$600 Yamaha I saw recently can do 7.2.2, I believe, or maybe 5.2.2, as well as Zone 2 and pre-out goodies.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
A bit of a rambling, stream-of-consciousness response:

<$350 is not a lot for a receiver, and AV receivers get churned through super fast. So a $350 receiver today is gonna be replaced by like two or three generations of successors before you decide to add surrounds to it. Budget AV receivers are arguably going to see the biggest changes/be subject to trickle-down features, so it really makes no sense to go with one now if two years from now you’ll want HDMI 2.4 or whatever.

For $350, I’d look at getting the best 2.0 or 2.1 stereo setup possible and only buying a surround AV receiver when you’re actually going to do surround. I wouldn’t bother with 3.1 at all, you get more mileage from nice R/L speakers than you do from any center channel.

With your budget I’d consider used first of all. Otherwise, there are some decent new Yamaha and Sony amps in the $100-$250 range that I’d recommend. If the receiver doesn’t have optical in, you might need to add something like a separate optical-to-RCA DAC to get good stereo sound out of the TV. These are cheap and it’s fine. Don’t worry. Hell, you could even get one of those hot new tiny SMSL class D amp-dacs with Bluetooth and poo poo for like $125. Add a $200 pair of speakers...or a $125 pair and a $100 sub...and you’ve got a stew.

What size speakers were you hoping for? Again, used will be your best bet in many cases, and you can probably find a well performing set for as little as $0 if you have the right connections. Otherwise, there are small inexpensive bookshelf speakers starting below $100/pair but they definitely won’t be lookers. Having $150-$500 available for speakers would open you up to a massive marketplace of possibilities, in various sizes, finishes, and configurations.

If you could get your total budget up to $500 or $600 you could squeeze together a solid amp/receiver, speakers, and budget sub.

Also- If you can find the 5.0 Jamo speaker set for ~$200 (it occasionally shows up for that price) then I suppose you could do 5.1 for under $500 right now. Maybe just put the surrounds in storage briefly. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: I was curious and I looked and it’s in stock- Jamo Series S, with the 803 bookshelves as fronts, $229 for probably the best 5.0 set you’ll find under $450.

Get those speakers (and you can expand to atmos with the optional hat modules that go on the fronts, down the road if you want) and you’ve got $120 left in your budget. Not really enough for a receiver. If you can budget another $150-250 we could probably get you into a complete 5.1 setup today, that would be better than what you were probably gonna cobble together for yourself let’s be honest.

Edit 2:

Let’s say you do $230 for speakers.

Probably $270-$300 for an entry level receiver.

That’s already $500. Polk PSW10 as the barest minimum sub for another $130. All of this is shopping online. $630 minimum but you’re all-in.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 30, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

me your dad posted:

The last handful of replies have been interesting to read, and good timing for me since I have been considering adding a center channel to my current 2.1 setup

My current receiver is a very old Yamah HTR-5730. It powers a pair of Energy CB-20 bookshelf speakers and I am overall happy with the setup. I feel like dialogue in movies is a bit anemic so I figured a matching center channel would help with that.

Do you have your receiver, TV, and sources set to Stereo? If you have any of them set to surround then you are probably not hearing the dialogue tracks fully. If they are outputting properly and still sound “anemic” then your best fix is bigger stereo speakers, not adding a center channel that won’t match and doesn’t seem like it would really fit under your tv. If your signal is stereo then you shouldn’t have any issues hearing the dialogue track, stereo is the most commonly used output arrangement for pretty much any AV media, so it arguably gets the most scrutiny.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

me your dad posted:

I know the receiver is set to Stereo. I don't know what settings my TV has but I'll look. I know it's only set to disable the built-in speakers and output to my receiver instead.

Edit - looked at the TV settings. It is currently on auto detect to "Stereo", but it has a setting called "PCM Stereo", which I don't know about.

Thanks for this info. My bookshelf speaker tweeters are at ear level, and about seven feet apart. I would like to have them farther apart, but our TV room is rather narrow. I'll look into the "theater" type modes of my receiver to see what effect it has.

Get a pair of floorstanding speakers and be done with it and never look back. Or bigger bookshelves. Cheapest new floorstanders I’d consider are like $200/pair. For bookshelves there are many choices in the <$500/pair market.

Or if you can fit the 5.0 set I mentioned earlier + the Polk sub for $350 all-in, do that and then upgrade your system piecemeal over the next few years as you move into more permanent/bigger digs.

I think either path would make you very happy for the foreseeable future (maybe next 1-3+ years, depending on living arrangement) and give you excellent value-for-money. Either will beat what you currently have set up, and would likely serve you well at your new place after the summer.

Regardless of what you do, I would currently encourage you to keep your current receiver. If all you want is 5.1 and you’re happy with the sound, and you’re fine sending an optical signal from the TV to the receiver (which will be fine for your needs) then no reason to replace a good, functioning piece of equipment. You’ll get exponentially more mileage out of upgrading your speakers, either with a bigger 2.0/2.1 setup or with a full 5.1. Wouldn’t bother with 3.1, either a good stereo setup or do full surround. Plus a lot of media won’t come with a 3.1 track, but it will come with stereo and 5.1 surround.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 30, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Depending on how much space you have behind the couch, whether there’s space to walk/divide the room that way, etc I’m also a big fan of putting couch tables or shelving units strategically behind them. Sometimes immediately behind like a couch table, and sometimes against the back wall. If you’re clever you can put your surrounds there

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

That boosts everything because the majority of effect and music audio goes through the center as well. It really is at least 80% of all audio through the center if you have one.

If you’ve ever listened to a 5.1 setup with a bigass center channel (ideally one that matches the R/L or is even bigger) it completely blows 99% of home theaters with bigass 8” floorstanders, anchored by 4” center channel drivers, away.

Most HT lines have the center channel as one of the smallest or second smallest speakers in the bunch. Like if I can’t fit a big center channel then I won’t even try. Best to spend that money making the R/L bigger and better

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Yeah if you’re going to get a center it needs to be at least as good as your L/R, if not better and positioned correctly. There’s a reason KEF sells a 44” wide center that’s basically a Reference 5 laid on its side. My favorite surround system ever was 5 identical speakers, total overkill on the rears but it sounded so good.

Also why KEF will sell you a single LS50/meta

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

Are you trying to spend 300-400 on just the receiver or on both the receiver and the speakers? If the former, what's your speaker budget. If the latter, you're definitely looking at Craigslist.

Ok, challenge time:

Let’s see:

New amp:

You could do $100 and get a Sony or Yamaha base receiver. It might do BT, it might not. You can also do $130 and get one of those SMSL Class D amps with BT built in. All of these have sub outs.

$300 for two new/refurb floorstanders means you’d have to go with Andrew Jones Pioneers or JBL Stages on discount/refurb.

Adding another $100 opens up your possibilities, $200-300 ($500-600 on speakers) really opens them up.

Neither of these includes a sub. You’ll probably want to wait until next year to consider adding a sub. A PSW10 ($130) is decent to some, not good enough to others. Some goons here swear decent subs start in the $300 or $500 range.

Then you have the Craigslist option— lots of potential to save there.

You can always add a Bluetooth dongle ($25-$75), or a DAC ($30-100) to an amp/receiver that don’t have them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

If you only have four hundred dollars don't worry about Atmos, IMO.

Sticky this on the front page

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don’t know if I posted my recent rant in this thread or a different audio thread but TLDR I’d consider getting the best 5.1/5.2 setup first before even thinking about atmos.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I've been looking at a new soundbar since the Vizio I bought last year is having problems playing nicely with my TV (just stops getting sound and I have to unplug).

I looked at this Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1.4 but no eARC. The FAQ makes it sound like it does handle Atmos but I'm almost certain it's doing its own upmixing, not discrete audio info. Because it's confusing as hell when the literature says "can do eARC" but it isn't eARC and then they make it sound like eARC is a firmware update away :wtc:

ugh....so this is what they’ve done with the Nakamichi brand most recently....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I don't think these are generally the two options available when looking at sound bars it's more like 15 tiny speakers vs 3 tiny speakers i.e. they all have tiny drivers it's just the atmos ones have more of them.

they’re all poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bobstar posted:

I'm looking to improve my audio system in the living room. My two audio sources are a turntable (with pre-amp) and Airplay from misc Apple devices. Currently I have some ok-ish active speakers with a terrible Bluetooth function.

Questions:

- Would this be a good choice of amp? It seems to do the right things, but is it any good? Yamaha RN303D

- Any tips on bookshelf speakers, or is it fairly subjective? I can order, test and return if needed. Couple of options I see on the same site

- I currently have a basic Samsung soundbar with sub hooked up to the TV via optical. It's perfectly fine for my purposes, but in theory, could I hook the TV up to the optical input of that amp instead, and do away with the soundbar?

It’s a great receiver. I’m a huge fan of Yamaha amps. If you can spend more and move up in the range it’s probably worth it, but that one’s probably great for your needs too. I don’t remember which thread it was but that receiver was recommended to somebody a few months ago.

Those speakers look good, if you can stretch your budget the KEF Q350 I saw on that site are really good. They were also recently on sale for ~$299 elsewhere, maybe they’re on sale in your area.

Yes, connecting optical from TV (go into settings and make sure it’s outputting stereo) to receiver will do exactly what you desire. That’s pretty much what the optical input is there for.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Monitor Audio speakers are very good too and similarly affordable.

I'm still loving my Bronze 2s, they're slightly on the larger side for bookshelf speakers, but worth it if you have the space.

Shame they never seemed to bring the orange Monitor series to the States, and have now replaced it with a much more subdued version of what appears to be the same design

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
7.1/7.2 receivers are also great for 5.1 because most these days will let you bi-amp your fronts or easily set up front height/atmos speakers using the Zone 2/extra surround outs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

Wrong thread probably but is there a pro audio thread?

My work (electronic refurbisher) received a massive donation from a stadium in the area and we have a shitload of big rear end speakers, rack mount amps and audio processors and assorted professional AV and lighting poo poo from the 70s + 80s taking up space in our warehouse. I’d like someone who Knows Their poo poo to take a look at the list of what we got and see if anything is worth anything or usable or whatever.

Alternatively, is anyone in the Toronto area interested in opening up a venue, lol

Post about it in the vintage audio thread, ppl are bound to be interested there + there’s a few ppl in there who know poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
regardless of house sound or not, I would encourage anybody building a HT to strongly consider going with at least 5.25” drivers or up for the fronts and center channel.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Makes me feel a tiny bit good about downgrading to stereo, everything puts out bitstream! [Also everything costs at least as much as surround gear!]

yeah, if it’s me I always want to spend the same amount just on fewer, fancier, speakers, etc

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilazar posted:

In searching for speaker posts, I'm only coming up with things that don't look like they would work with those "alegator" (sorry not sure what to call that type of plug) looking inputs. Help a brother out with a sample image/product?

you can just use bare wires it's really not that bad. maybe tin the ends with some solder if you're that much of a stickler

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilazar posted:

So now that I'm under budget, I need a new pair of surround channel speakers. Anyone have opinions on the Klipsch R-41M bookshelf speakers? My current surrounds are mounted in ceiling (came with the house) and I"m going to repurpose those to presence. I'm open to other suggestions for the surround pair as well. These seem a bit overkill for surround channel?

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-41...844&sr=8-4&th=1

Ideally you wanna match your speakers, at least to the same family. It's not really very important with surrounds, but my concern is that Klipsch are famously pretty sensitive and also tonally kind of bright. They may not play 100% nicely with your Andrew Jones. Try looking for speakers close in terms of sensitivity.

Hell, for the money I'd maybe wait for a Jamo S-8XX series package at $230 deal and replace the whole kit and caboodle, but that's me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Any recommendations for a slim (height) receiver?

It's for our living room, it's unlikely to ever be more than 3.1 given the layout and I'm planning on doing a full home theater in another room but I've got some nice floor standing speakers and sub so I don't want to just get a fancy soundbar. I have an older onkyo receiver that doesn't fit in the new entertainment center obviously and 10 y/o plasma I'd like to upgrade to a 4k something or other so I'm thinking of just buying a new receiver that does 4k.

I've seen yamaha and marantz have a slim receiver but I haven't kept up with who the good brands are. I'd like to avoid the shipping back for warranty work I had to do 3 times for the Onkyo..

If it’s only ever going to be 3.1, just keep it at 2.0/2.1/2.2 and get a good stereo receiver or amp. Lots more options at both full height and slim and better sound & performance for the money. It would also open up mini amps/mini receivers/possibly even some class D poo poo to consideration.

Do you have a budget?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
How much is it? I can’t imagine that the amplifier they have in there is particularly good

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wachter posted:

I'm just looking at options for fitting everything I want (vinyl and streaming from phone) inside the desk. I guess another option would be an upright receiver like the NAD D and a turntable with a smaller footprint like the Pro-ject Elemental

If you're going to be stuffing stuff inside of a desk and hiding the components then there's a lot of other options, price points, form factors, etc that you could consider. Hell, you could saw a rectangle into the back of the desk, screw on a class D plate amp from Parts Express and be off to the races. Or drop in a $130 SMSL mini amp with bluetooth built in. Or you could screw in some fancier OEM-grade amp modules. Or you could buy a solid consumer reciever/amp and just wedge it in there like your original plan. It all depends on what you want the final product to look, behave, perform, sound like, and cost. Keep in mind that most consumer electronics are built with some amount of ventilation and temperature range in mind, so maybe stick to low-heat output stuff if you plan on really burying it inside the desk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wachter posted:

Nah I don't think heat's an issue since I don't plan on using it when the desk is shut, and I don't want to hide anything. It's got to fit in this boy here:

Those compartments at the back are coming out, and I'd like my entire setup to fit between those speakers and before the hinge of the folded out door so I can set a laptop on front for parties when the Chaos Era ends. That gives me 45cm/18" wide by about 40cm/16" deep. I'd rather not stack a table on top of a receiver, since I heard that's a bad idea due to interference and such? I think the eucalyptus Juke Box would look the tits on all that dark wood too.

The old Tannoy speakers are for size reference; I'll eventually get some slightly shorter ones that'll fit back under the hood so the whole thing can be closed when not in use.

if you like the juke box, just get that. You’ll clearly need the smallest amplifier possible anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Huh, Danley are apparently releasing a set of floorstanders for home use.

https://tomdanley.com/hyperion/

no, stop, I already got into Tekton this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

falz posted:

Yeah the actual docs (and my logic) thinks y cable. The level is definitely lower but fine.

Its an onkyo receiver that's about 3 years old, has one of those mics for setup where it "listens" and sets speaker levels. I'll redo that and then tweak knobs on subwoofer as needed.

Next sub ill definitely get a wireless one, perhaps that $300 klipish, or one of the monoprice under couch ones.

I wouldn't.

TBH it's probably just that Y cable too. If you tried a different one it might be better shielded. But going from the Sub-out on the reciever to the Mono-in on the sub is the best choice here.