Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I've got kind of a funny question. I just bought a nice, beautiful 65" TV. My previous TV was 55", and unfortunately, what this means is that my bookshelf speakers have lost their premiere location on my TV stand and have been relegated to the floor. What stands do people like for bookshelf speakers? How should I decide how high of a stand to get? My speakers are 12.5" high and my ears are about 40" when sitting on my couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Thanks to everybody who provided advice on stands.

Actually, thinking about stands reminded me that maybe I should upgrade my home audio system. I still just have a pair of BS22s I bought 6-7 years ago; I always intended to upgrade somehow but I never did.

Let's say I wanted to make an upgrade. I mainly use my TV for playing video games and watching television; I never listen to music on it (since, well, my understanding is that I would have to spend a lot of money to get speakers that could compete with my Sundaras). My budget is around $500, although I'm flexible. I expect I will spend more in the future, so room to upgrade is good; I'd rather buy one good thing for $500, rather than two mediocre things for $250. Floor speakers are out: I don't like them aesthetically. From what I can tell, my two real options are:

1. Buy a $500 subwoofer, such as the SVS SB-1000, and continue using my budget bookshelf speakers.
2. Buy a $500 pair of bookshelf speakers, and go without a subwoofer (or possibly consider buying a cheapo subwoofer).
3. Buy a $500 pair of bookshelf speakers and enjoy a janky-rear end 4.0 surround sound setup? To be honest this sounds like a terrible idea but I wanted to mention it.

Which would be a better idea?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Yeah, I was thinking of the SVS SB-1000. Its small size is attractive to me too, since I live in a midsize apartment.

e: wait I just said that :v:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Vegetable posted:

PB-1000 is better than the SB-1000 for movies, tv and presumably video games. I don’t know the science behind it but I googled it previously. If you’re not listening to music and you have the space, take the PB-1000.

Relatedly, I got my PB-1000 Pro used on Amazon. They have authorized resellers there and it comes like brand new. There was no signs it was used, and it came with a nice discount.

Honestly, I was thinking that the inferior frequency response below 20hz of the SB-1000 was actually a good thing for me. I'm in an apartment building, and while it's one of those nice new buildings with concrete between floors, I know subwoofer sound can travel a lot.

Actually, thinking about it, is it a good idea to have a subwoofer in an apartment at all? Is it worth having one if I have to turn it down low enough to not bother the neighbors? If I wanted to, is there electronic equipment I could use to cut the legs out from under my subwoofer and put a high-pass filter at 40hz so I don't bug them as much?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I bought a Monoprice Monolith speaker stand for my bookshelf speakers. I saw many people online recommending buying little metal holders for the big spikes that come with the stand, to make it more stable or possibly to improve the sound, I'm not sure which. I bought some, but this just feels very strange to me. Is this really stable? Is this really the way people set up home theater speaker stands if they can't screw the spikes into carpet or the ground?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Spikes are only useful if you have thick carpet. Just remove them completely.

Okay, this is kind of what I was thinking. On the spikes it seemed less stable, but not unstable or anything; it just seemed to be to be very pointless to rest the stand on four screws rather than on the whole bottom of the stand. I was having a hard time thinking what the benefit of them could possibly be.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Here’s a funny question. I just got a subwoofer. It is great, but I’m concerned about the impact on my neighbors, so I’m keeping it quiet. However, I realized that while turning the sub down is a great way to make content with too much bass listenable even late at night, it also makes stuff with quiet bass have even less bass for basically no reason. Is there any device I can buy that would fix this problem for me by compressing lower frequencies? Are there audio receivers that do that, or can I buy something else that would sit between my receiver and the sub to do the job?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Yeah, I’m going to do all the basic stuff, like installing isolation feet and consulting with neighbors about how much sound transfers. I just figured I’d ask if something like this existed as well, since it seems philosophically like a better solution than just turning the sub down or off at night.

nrook fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 29, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’m home for the holidays and celebrating my new tradition: failing to convince my mom to get bookshelf speakers to replace the tiny home-theater-in-a-box speakers my parents are using right now.

Sadly, she insists having “giant speakers” would be ugly, and I can’t really gainsay her— I don’t think they’d be ugly, but it’s clearly a matter of taste.

Different strokes!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I need to unbookmark this thread. If I keep reading it, I’m going to wind up checking craigslist every day and buying a pair of 30-year-old bookshelf speakers for $500.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Speaking of used speakers, what's the best way to test them? I was considering upgrading my old Pioneer SP-BS22s, and I live in a big city so there's a ton of stuff on Craigslist, but unless the seller has them hooked up to something I have no clue how I'd figure out if the speakers are in good shape or not. Should I just buy sight unseen, or hope the seller has them hooked up to something to test them? In theory I could lug my receiver over too; that'd be quite inconvenient and annoying but hardly impossible.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Is a used pair of KEF RDM 2s worth $600? Asking for a Craigslist viewer.

Some brief research tells me that they were excellent when they were released, but that was at least 25 years ago. The price feels a little high to me.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

no, you could get better new KEFs for a bit more money but they’d be worth it, or less money and they’d be worth it

yeah I kinda figured. ty

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Somebody stop me from buying philharmonic ceramic minis for my TV for Christmas

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

qirex posted:

Do you have a good amplifier? 84db efficiency and dips to 3.2 ohms is fairly demanding.

tbh I just thought “eh, there’s nothing wrong with my old avr* and I basically never turn the volume up particularly high anyway, I’m sure it’ll be fine”. this was perhaps naive

*denon avr-s500bt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I've always been curious about how effective night mode settings are, since I live in a large apartment building. I have an entry-level Denon so my night mode is fake and only works with Dolby Digital signals. The idea of a setting that turns on a compressor and dips the bass is compelling, but I don't know how good they actually are.

Actually, for the same reason, it would be neat to have a setting that just compressed the bass to use during the day if I want to play stuff loudly. Most of the things I listen to aren't going to have a big bass so a compressor would be nice to only affect the rare times loud bass shows up.