Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

I've been looking at some Marantz units and they don't seem to be much more powerful but I would expect it to be better built.

From what I've read Marantz are just rebranded Denon units but with better components for music playing.

I have a Denon X4200W which is way overkill for my 3.1 setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Does your receiver have room correction? You might want to use that so it doesn't sound like garbage.

Also, what type of receiver is it? Every company tends to have their own menu settings and quirks.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

What’s considered a good av receivers in the 400ish dollar range? I need at least 5.1, Dolby atmos, and 4K support.

Probably the best you're gonna do at that price point that includes Atmos.
Denon s750h

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

couldcareless posted:

What about the Costco rebranded Yamaha RXV6A/TSR700?
I know it has some mediocre reviews, but is it comparable to the Denon?

That's still a $600 receiver. I was going to mention the 4 series but that's just a 5.1 setup without Atmos.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2021/04/27/xbox-series-x-hdmi-bug-fix-announced-for-denon-and-marantz-receivers/amp/

Looks like last year's models have a fix and it's an additional box you hook your system to which then hooks to your receiver. I'm guessing a full internal implementation won't be ready until next year's models?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
They're fixing what was originally a bandwidth issue, PS5s max out at 32GB/s and the Xboxes max out at 40GB/s so PS5s were fine. I'd imagine the new boxes go up to 48GB/s (HDMI 2.1 max bandwidth) but who knows.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

raej posted:

I'm in a bit of a conundrum on a receiver/amp. My wife bought a nice piece of furniture for the center console and it does not fit standard sized receivers (I have a Pioneer VSX-532 as a stand in until I find something else). The cabinet size is 16 1/2" wide and 14" deep. Height is adjustable. It's a 5.1 setup, and I do like watching movies in that room.

After a bit of googling, I'm unsure on how to approach the amplification of the speakers. I've found amps, but they do not usually do video. Most receivers are around 17" wide (like the one I have now) and will not fit my need.

Are there any mini receivers that do 4k hdmi and 5.1?

Should I use my TV as a switch and optical out to a purely audio amp? (Generally, I've had bad luck getting 5.1 to work this way, it seems to always convert to stereo)

Marantz has slim receivers but looks like they're still too wide and deep for your needs. I actually have to keep my cabinet doors slightly open since my receiver is too deep.

Would you be able to place the receiver on top of the furniture? I'm sure Andrew Robinson has some YouTube videos you can watch for inspiration since he's more of a design oriented audio/video guy.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Place the sub on your prime listening position and walk around the room and figure out where it sounds beat from there.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Tacier posted:

I need a bigger TV stand and it’s hard to find a nice looking mid-century one with space for a full size center channel and ventilation for a receiver and game console. I could ditch the center, but I don’t like my floorstanders that much anyway (Klipsch Icon series).

BDI makes excellent media consoles. If I was in the market I'd definitely be looking at them.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've been trying for a while to find a cheap, small, powered, wired subwoofer to complete my 3.1 setup in my bedroom. Think the kind that typically come packaged with soundbars and are usually around 6". I would just buy a new soundbar and not use the bar itself, but these days the bundled subwoofer is always wireless and proprietary for that soundbar. I just want something to fill out the sound, not rattle the place since this is a bedroom in an apartment. Aside from randomly finding one at a pawn shop, I'm not sure where else to look really. Any ideas?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-10-115w-active-subwoofer-black/5721005.p?skuId=5721005 just get this or whatever Polk fits your price range.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I would just focus on a 2.0 or 2.1 setup to start. The Jamo speakers would be good surrounds but they're not great primary speakers since they rely too much on a sub.

I would go for something like this and then focus on a sub. After that, if you feel you need better vocals I'd finally get a center.

Animale fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 7, 2022

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
The dog and house cleaner really love moving the speaker stand spikes off the discs thingies and onto the floor. The old lady doesn't care until I show her why I'm complaining.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
You could do a streamer which has HDMI eARC out. The issue is that's going to be a premium feature, the NAD C 700 has it and it's listed at £1300. It also has a Subwoofer out and can do Spotify Connect but it doesn't have a phono preamp.

Since you're in the UK, I would have said get a Rega Planar 1 Plus since that has the phone preamp built it but I think an Audio Technica LP120 for £250 would be the better turntable for you.

And for speakers maybe something from like Monitor Audio or Wharfdale.
Monitor Audio Bronze 200 - £650
Wharfdale Denton 85 - £600 + stands
Wharfdale Diamond 12.3 - £500
Q Acoustics 3050 - £550
Q Acoustics 3050i - £700

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

Problem is I don't know which would be better and at what level i should be setting them at. Scared of messing up and there's no real good explanation for what they exactly do.

I also did the mic set up audeyssey thing and it turned on dynamic EQ which may or may not be good?

When you play stuff does it show Dolby Surround or something like that on the receiver? Dolby tends to be mixed to have a lower dialogue level so you have to turn it up so when explosions happen, you get the big loud effect.

Dynamic compression basically evens stuff out so you can hear dialog better without having to turn up the volume, it's sometimes called Night Mode. It's good if you're in an apartment or just want to be able to hear dialog more easily.

mfcrocker posted:

I think most stuff mentioned here has been around the right price point except the NAD C 700 - am I actually going to need HDMI eARC?
It's just a convenience thing, I personally like only having to use the tv remote to control volume and stuff, I can also make changes to my AVR settings or control the PlayStation but that's only useful in rare cases.

Animale fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 27, 2022

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

Am I missing out on anything by having a Denon S660H instead of the S760H? That's what I have when I got a tv setup a couple of months ago. Only using a L/R, center, and subwoofer for the tv.

Nevermind, it's basically the same thing but can power more speakers.

Animale fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 27, 2023

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

Don't know why it took me this long to notice and ask but what's the point of the foam plug insert things that came with my KEF 150 speakers?

Your speakers are rear ported and all your bass goes out that port or something. The foam thingies are there if you have to put your speakers against the wall, they make it so the bass isn't too boomy. If you can place your speakers 18' or whatever the sweet spot is from the wall then you don't need them.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

KillHour posted:

So I didn't break out the tape measure before I bought that subwoofer and I just realized it won't fit. I don't mean "it won't fit behind my furniture" or "it won't fit in a specific corner." I mean it won't fit in any reasonable place I can think of and also I will need to take the door off the hinges to get it in the room. :ohdear:

This seems like a great x-post to the ridicule audiophiles thread.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Wibla posted:

Hell no.

I bought a $1k pair of speakers as a junior enlisted :sun:
(there's a joke there too, I guess...)

Along with your 24% APR Mustang?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Klipsch and kef already have sales going on. You can get a pair of LS60s for $5k instead of $7k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

I also learned that apparently you only get stereo sound from Max unless you're paying for their TWENTY loving DOLLARS A MONTH tier, so that could also be part of the issue in this case since the ATV and/or the soundbar are trying to turn that into a 3.1.3 mix.

I thought they did 5.1 on regular tiers but left Atmos/Dolby Vision for the expensive plan.

I finally started getting 5.1 on Hulu since they didn't support my top of the line Sony/Google tv for some reason. The fix, use the Disney+ app.