Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

qirex posted:

I hope the HDMI 2.1 rollout isn't this stupid.

Oh you wish. VRR over HDMI 2.1 especially is going to be a fun clusterfuck of half-assery.

Same reason why I'm not an early adopter for any new standard. I like where HDR is going but I will only buy in when it becomes mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
my new wharfedales diamond 12.2 owns

it has a laid back and mellow, yet also amazingly layered and detailed sound even at a mere 50dB. its so physics defying

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i also happen to have a new pair of Kali LP-6 v2s on a discount, based on the hype they got

flat? yes
detailed? yes
non-fatiguing? yes
boring? also yes

yeah i know these are studio monitors but they lack the liveliness of my 305Ps and iLoud MMs for some odd reason

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-bc3-review-bluetooth-receiver-bt-codecs.23740/

Regarding Bluetooth quality, feel free to read that

the tl;dr version is AptX surprisingly sucks (at least on the Topping BC3) versus the most basic SBC, and its highly unlikely you can notice a difference between the SBC and the best LDAC especially on speakers and you aren't <20 y/o. Unless you are purposely blasting 14.5KHz+ sound at levels way beyond normally mastered content

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I don't know what the Bluetooth specs are, but with both my car system and my receiver, I can hear a difference between Bluetooth and a cable connection. The only thing that sounds the same is my Bluetooth headphones that can also be wired.

you are probably hearing the spray of distortion spikes in the treble region where the ears are the most sensitive or the 14KHz brickwall lowpass with non LDAC implementations

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
my apartment is hard tiled and i live in it barefeet, so touching anything conductive that uses 2-pin AC and also isn't grounded somewhere else gives me a perfectly safe but annoying 120V shock

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

M_Gargantua posted:

That's not how it's supposed to work. That's a red flag and a safety hazard that you're house is wired wrong, or your appliances are shorting out

nah its perfectly safe because that's how the Y-capacitors of the EMI filter in 2-pin power supplies reject unwanted AC noise when operated without a ground connection

even my $1500 LG C2 OLED does this

HP, Dell, Lenovo, Apple etc all had advisories regarding their laptops with 2-pin power adapters saying the same thing. they wisened up and changed to 3-pin adapters anyway

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
how good (or bad) 30 year speakers are at bass extension per woofer inch

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i would also love to live somewhere where i can actually pump more than 1W per channel lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And it's front ported so you can shove it right up against the wall if you need to.

IIRC front ports can work anywhere true, but it doesn't address the speakers own inherent boundary LF gain by being placed close to a wall/corner which may be hard to fix even with EQ

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KozmoNaut posted:

I have a Fosi Audio V3

i replaced the 2x original NE5532s in mine with OPA2134PAs and it sounds clearer

and i dont believe that's placebo since ASR guys tested the last budget amp king Aiyima A07 with the NE5532, LM4562, and the OPA2134 and the last one had the best overall SINAD as well as EMI rejection

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lamquin posted:

Thanks for the advice! That took me down a really fun rabbit hole learning about Class D amps and the (for me) confusingly cheap variants out on the international market - albeit not in Swedish retail stores.

Seeing the Fosi Audio v3 recommended above with its "300Wx2 @4Ω" for 90$ made me think it has to be a piece of poo poo that'll melt speakers or sound terrible, but reading a review of it, it seems to be a neat little thing.

I'll need to dive a bit more into it before I make any decisions, but thanks for pointing me in an unexpected direction.
I'm used to amplifiers being these bulky units, so seeing them be these tiny itty bitty boxes is quite the discovery. My current one is 5.5 kg. The A30 is 0.52 kg. :dogstare:

there's is a very good chance you will never pump more than 2W per channel before it gets too loud for you

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

emocrat posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for the following:

I need a small form factor amplifier to power 2 bookshelf speakers, that DOES NOT have a volume control. I want just basic RCA in and power out with a fixed amplification level. I am not even sure what hte right search terms are to get this, most of what I find has some form of eq and or volume control.

this a weird demand when you can turn a volume knob to a desired position and leave it there

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I got a Minirig 3 2.1 set used yesterday for office usage

even on the the TWS/AptX mode the overall SQ IMO is only slightly worse than my Evo 4.2 + topping PA5 II + SMSL D6S, my mind is blown considering the overall cost and portability

im not gonna bother with any fixed stereo hifi anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
its hard to give a definite rec because speaker-room interactions are completely unpredictable

used KEF, wharfedale, polk, energy are good bets