Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I've got the vizio soundbar with wireless surround and its phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I hope this is the right thread to ask this...

We are planning an outdoor movie setup for weekly movie nights with friends. I've got everything figured out except the speakers.

What's the best type of speakers for basic stereo, outdoors? We want it to be loud, bassy and budget isn't a major issue since a bunch of us are pooling our cash.

It won't be a permanent outdoor setup, so nothing needs to be weather proof obv.

Might also eventually expand into surround sound territory, but for now we just need two good speakers.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best small, basic receiver these days? All I need is 5.1 surround. The top reviewed receivers are loving massive and have too many features & outputs.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered it.

Any suggestions on an affordable set of speakers for a small (12 x 15 ft) home theater space?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Should I search for the front/rear, center and sub individually, are there ideal brands for each? Any brands where I could grab a whole set? Sorry for so many questions, the thread OP is 12 years old!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

So the rear speakers can just be anything? Any downside to seeking out small or slim rear speakers?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mederlock posted:

You can't go wrong with Denon's base model, the AVR-S760H .

Followup question... I use both a PS5 and the TV's native streaming apps.

Should I use ARC for the PS5, and optical for the TV, or just use optical for both coming straight from the TV?

Is it seamless enough to use both ARC and optical?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How do I watch the TV itself (native apps) with my sound system without optical? Does audio travel to the receiver via the ARC HDMI?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Oh, nice!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Denon question: when I use my PS5 it comes through in 5.1 and says "multi" on the display. When I use my TV (ARC) it says "Stereo"

It's a Sony Bravia, and the TV settings say the speakers are set to "Audio System" which should be right. Any idea why it's coming thru in stereo?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm specifically having a problem with the Denon receiver not receiving 5.1 audio from the TV via ARC, or it's receiving it but outputting Stereo audio.

Any Denon owners (or similar devices) know what setting I should be checking out?

Been all over the Sony TV settings and Google searching, and there's apparently no actual TV setting to switch between stereo or 5.1 on the digital audio out. So it must be the receiver.

The PS5 works flawlessly, this system is incredible, I'm just having a boomer moment with the TV audio.

Edit: if it matters, the TV doesn't have eARC, but the cable is eARC, and the Denon is eARC

smoobles fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 10, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

KillHour posted:

It matters. If the TV doesn't have eARC, you can't do eARC. You can do 5.1, but only compressed. And only if the source stream supports it. What app are you using and are you sure both it and the content you're watching supports 5.1?

Disney+ and Netflix, and yeah I'm testing it on content labeled 5.1

So, should I swap in an ARC HDMI cable instead of an eARC one?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sony XBR-85X900F

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dogen posted:

What’s your settings->sound->digital audio out set to

If it’s set to pcm that’s your problem

Auto 1

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mederlock posted:

Also what surround sound format or option is the receiver set to?

The only TV audio setting I can find on Denon settings is turning ARC on or off. Perhaps another Denon owner can tell me what I'm missing...

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dogen posted:

What’re your other options

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dogen posted:

Did you try auto 2?

Yeah, still in stereo.

I'll give the optical a try.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What app are you using on the TV when it says "Stereo"?

I'm pretty sure you are playing stereo content on your TV

I'm watching a variety of stuff on Disney+ and Netflix, all marked 5.1.

All stuff that played in 5.1 on my crappy old Vizio 5.1 system before I built a proper setup w/ the Denon.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

KillHour posted:

I have a Denon and I'm pretty sure it saying stereo means you have the receiver specifically set to stereo downmix.

Interesting! What setting should I be looking at? I am going thru the menus but not seeing that.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hmm no luck.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Are Klipsch speakers good?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I finally sound proofed the hell out of my home theater, should I redo the Denon Audyssey calibration?

Idk if it took reverb into account in the initial setup

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

TY! I thought so. I'm new to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I have a Denon S760H and a Sony TV, and got a very specific problem that maybe one of you has encountered (Google isn't helping much)

HDMI 3 (ARC) is my Denon, and connected to that are my PS5 and Switch.

HDMI 1 has nothing connected to it, but previously had the Switch connected.

About half of the times when I turn on my Switch, the CEC tells my TV to go to HDMI 1, which has nothing plugged in. It was formerly the Switch before I set up the Denon, so it's like my TV is remembering wrong.

I suppose reformatting the TV would work but wanted to save that option for last. I can't find a setting to reset the defunct HDMI port, feeling much like a boomer here.