Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

you match the -3dB points to get a stable level between the speakers as you sweep frequencies because that's the point where they will play the same thing as loud as one speaker without the dip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

qirex posted:

I have faith that somebody, someday, will make a compact surround processor that is $500 or so. Even if it's just 5.1 and not Atmos/DTS-X it would be such a boon to the market.
You can get 5.1 audio extractors off Aliexpress, they passthrough HDMI and output separate RCA channels, some support bitstream input. Line level so bring your own amp or use active speakers obv

Taima posted:

Beyond that, does lacking a center channel hurt Atmos more than "normal" listening? Right now I don't use a center on purpose, and that's fine because it's 4.1... but how does it interact with Atmos?
Atmos is more about flexibility in setups than it is about having poo poo above you, you can take a DD+ with Atmos stream (which has the object-based part literally bolted onto legacy frames carrying a downmix) and render it on a home audio setup with height speakers, you can render the same stream on a quadrophonic setup with a subwoofer (aka 4.1), and it'll likely take the legacy 5.1 core and mix the center channel to the fronts with -3dB

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can get a passive line level switch to route different sources to your active monitors, most will also have a bigass gain knob which is lovely to put right below the TV

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The remixes big studios have been putting out are completely redone from the original multitrack sessions, so even the stereo downmix of the Atmos version can be a different experience.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Though realistically with a gaming PC attached to the same TV I don't know if I even need the XSX going to an HDMI 2.1 port either.
The Series X and PS5 both have games that switch to 4K120 for smooth 40fps modes. Both also have variable frame rate support over HDMI 2.1 (Series X since launch, PS5 got it in a patch last year). As far as native 4K120 I'm only aware of Ori 2 and Psychonauts 2 on the Series X but there's deffo more. You need those ports.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Careful with that many subs, they might unionize

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bird with big dick posted:

The truth is funnier than my fiction in this case: that picture is in user reviews on best buys website.

well yeah if you go to user->reviews it'll show you the history

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

kliras posted:

this is specific to a ps4 (and later ps5):

what does the bluetooth audio that comes from your controller's audio jack actually support? do i want to use pcm or bitstream on a ps4 in that case? normally i'd say pcm for high-bitrate stereo, but i have no idea how the audio over bluetooth works

for a ps5, i'm guessing that bitstream is easier since the ps5 can probably convert most of what you throw at it to stereo

Bluetooth audio is compressed stereo and cannot support any kinda bitstream, that option is for the HDMI output - do you want to decode to PCM on the console or the downstream device

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

In that case set the console to bitstream so the C1 can do surround virtualization on the input. No fussing should be needed for controller audio (which on console is over 2.4G, not Bluetooth btw) because AFAIK none of the system audio settings affect that, connect headphones to the controller and you get one stereo mix. Now on PS5 you can of course have the Tempest virtualizer turned on or off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

That stuff doesn't really need additional reverb.