Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Never mind. Question was more appropriate for a different thread.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Ok, read through the OP and I still need some help, for anyone who would be willing to offer.

First off, Speakers: I've got a buddy who owns speakers similar to these Klipsch (They're Klipsch and they sound fantastic, I'm just not sure if they're the exact same model). http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-F-20-6-5-Inch-Floor-Standing/dp/B003XRD9TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317488661&sr=8-1

Does anyone have bad experiences or better value / performance Ratios they could push me towards ? I am looking for full sized Floorstands, and I probably will never invest in a woofer.

Which leads me into question #2 on a Receiver:

I have a PS3 and a 360 both of which I want to run HDMI -> Receiver -> TV. Other than that I just need an input for a standalone CD player, and to run sound out from my Computer to the Receiver via Optical. Almost all of my use out of this setup is going to be listening to music as a primary priority.

99.9% sure I'll never bother with surround sound or a woofer, I really just want a solid pair of floorstands for a two channel setup with the above mentioned equipment.

Help me oh god theres so much crap on the market :ohdear: Everything is 5.1 this and 7.1 that with 8000000000 inputs that I don't need.

Live Edit: Also I'd like to keep the price under $1200 for both speakers and the receiver.

If you like Klipsch then the VF-35 floorstanders from the Icon series are cheaper than the Synergy floorstanders right now, though the VF-36 will have more bass. I just bought a pair of the 35s for $119 each, so they might go that low again if you're willing to wait for a deal. A lot of people also like the Infinity Primus P362s which are $150 on amazon right now. If you're willing to pay a bit more, the Martin Logan Motion 12s are highly regarded as sounding great for music and have been on sale for as low as $300 each lately. They use a ribbon tweeter as opposed to a horn (klipsch) or dome (infinity), which for music purposes sound best to me.

Edit: Newegg also has the Klipsch WF-35s on sale for $300 a piece right now, which is an excellent deal. They're a step up from the Klipsch I mentioned above and are designed with aesthetics in mind. If I were only going 2 channel I would probably have bought those instead.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 1, 2011

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Misanthrope posted:

After installing some rear in-wall speakers from Monoprice on the weekend at my place, my dad was really impressed and wants an entry level receiver for surround sound himself.

From reading this thread it looks like the Denon AVR-1712 is good bang for the buck, but I don't think he even needs 7.1, 5.1 would be sufficient... so is there a definitive "best bang for the buck 5.1 receiver"?

The Denon 1612 is basically identical to the 1712, but with 5 channels instead of 7, fewer legacy connections (for older gear) and a slightly less fancy auto-EQ. The 1612 also has a USB port in front for an iPod/iPhone which the 1712 does not.

Other good choices would be the Yamaha RX-V471 and Pioneer VSX-821. Newegg also had the Pioneer VSX-1021 on sale a few days ago for $320, which is a great deal if your dad wants to stream music from an Apple device (built in Air-Play). Otherwise I'd just wait for one of the first three I mentioned to go on sale.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Psmith posted:

I finally decided to upgrade my home theater setup.

This is the receiver that I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH520-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B004NHCGJO/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1361123825&sr=1-2

And I am looking to get some speakers. Currently I'm looking to do a 5.1 setup and maybe add the 2 additional speakers down the road. I was looking at Jonathan's recommended setup:

SP-BS22-LR (two pairs)
SP c22 (center)
SW-8

But the only issue I see with that is that the impedance listed for the speakers is 6 ohms while the receiver is listed at 8 ohms. How big of a deal is that?

Also, I was taking a look at the Energy Take Classic (http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classi...keywords=energy)
This is a slightly older set and is a little smaller. However, it is listed at 8 ohms and that matches my receiver.

The room is about 15x25 with a lower ceiling (about 7.5ft).

My budget is ~400

Just so you know, monoprice has started selling a "hi-fi" home theater system that appears to be in every way identical to the Take Classic, but is considerably cheaper.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

I've been using a Logitech Z5500 for a few years, and decided it's time to build a real home audio system. It will be used for 80% TV and Movies (all HD with 5.1 audio), 20% music. After doing some research in this thread and other forums I came up with this build.

Is this OK, or should I change some things?
My only real requirement is that it's a 5.1 system, and less than $1200.

Why aren't you matching those Pioneer speakers with a Pioneer center channel? Aside from that you could easily get by with a less expensive receiver.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

jfff posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out when I can get into a Best Buy next week. Are the Klipsch bookshelf speakers decent? Unfortunately don't have room for floor-standing speakers.

My friend bought the Klipsch icon series bookshelves from 5 years ago and I bought the same speakers as floorstanders. I actually think the bookshelves sound better. Mine are a little boomy for music.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I’ve got a low-end 3.0 setup with some Klipsch Icon floorstanders from 2010, but I like the simplicity of sound bars since I live in an apartment where I don’t require lots of volume and they’d let me stream Spotify with voice commands.

Are modern sound bars like the new Sonos Arc likely to sound as good as my current speakers for low to moderate volume use? Or am I still better off with the cheap Klipsch towers? I’m not too worried about bass.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

qirex posted:

It's really hard to do midbass [eg male voices] from the small drivers soundbars use, signal processing can make up for it a bit but a 3" driver has to move 4 times farther than a 6" one to produce the same volume at a given frequency. If you replace them there will definitely be compromises but the difference between 3 towers vs one soundbar is significant. If you're looking at spending Sonos money maybe consider the Bluesound option? It has bigger drivers and also does voice control. Another option would be a Sonos Amp or Bluesound Powernode2i with only 2 of your towers.

Thanks. I’ve been skeptical of small drivers ever since I bought a pair of the much praised Audioengine A2s, which sound terrible to me. I’ll save the money for now.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Apartment living has finally convinced me to abandon my unnecessary Klipsch floorstanders and center channel in favor of a sound bar.

Went to test them at Best Buy and the Bose 900 is my favorite, but holy poo poo what were they thinking putting a reflective glass top on it? Reflection from the TV is almost definitely going to be super distracting. Maybe even a deal breaker. I simply can’t believe someone signed off on that.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

wha-wha-wha—

I could see you dropping floorstanders for bookshelf, but a soundbar?

I need a bigger TV stand and it’s hard to find a nice looking mid-century one with space for a full size center channel and ventilation for a receiver and game console. I could ditch the center, but I don’t like my floorstanders that much anyway (Klipsch Icon series).

Atmos and simulated surround sound look fun too, and I never listen above 70db anyway.

Edit: Does anyone else actually prefer the sound of a small speaker (<5”) for casual listening? If that’s heresy I’ll just show myself out…

Tacier fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 15, 2021

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Animale posted:

BDI makes excellent media consoles. If I was in the market I'd definitely be looking at them.

If I had $3000 to spend on a TV stand, you better believe I’d get a BDI Corridor. Incredibly nice piece of media furniture, but you pay for it.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I went from Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s to Audioengine A2s and the sound characteristics couldn’t be more different. Even equalized and raised off the table, the A2s have a far more recessed, rounded off sound that doesn’t sparkle like the Klipsch. They look beautiful and sound good with certain types of music, but overall I still miss my Klipsch.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

V for Vegas posted:

It's been fun going to listen to lots of different speakers! For my basic 3.1 setup for the lounge room leaning towards the Kef Q950. Compared to the BW they sounded just as good for half the price.

I just had a chance to demo a bunch of speakers for the first time at a Best Buy Magnolia and the Q950s were my favorite too.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I have L/R tower speakers (Klipsch VF-35) that I can’t use with the matching center for cabinet size reasons. Do you guys think I’d be better off buying a non-matching Klipsch center channel from a different product line, or spending that same money on the matching surrounds for a 4.0 setup and using a phantom center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

qirex posted:

If you're using a center is should be the best speaker in your whole system since it will be handling 60-90% of all audio in surround content. It costs you nothing to try phantom center, in a lot of rooms it will be fine but you may have to play with speaker position and angle to get it dialed in.

Thanks for responses. I’m absolutely willing to spend the money on a better center than my L/Rs. I just don’t know how much different the reference premiere line will sound than the old Icon series in terms of timbre matching. Maybe Klipsch is Klipsch and I’m overthinking it