Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

mariooncrack posted:

I think they sell a set for ~$399 with the S83.

Indeed: https://slickdeals.net/f/15458212-j...teSearchV2Algo1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

does the deal set come in white? The S803 sets do

That one is black only - I did a cursory search on slickdeals and didn't see any deals on white towers, just bookshelf combos.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 28, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Those are both too big. I know I could just turn it down, but I'm also low on space. It's a small bedroom.
Not sure how small is worth going with a sub, how big are your mains? Anyway, here's some 8" options and one 6.5". I'd only recommend Jamo (first one) as a brand but the other ones should be serviceable.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Lq9745CuXFQ/p_701S808SWB/Jamo-S-808-SUB-Black.html
Slim upright form factor: 14"x7"x18"
$150

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33829
Slim low profile form factor: 21"x16"x6" - this and the dayton above could both go under a couch or other furniture.
$130

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8248
Small box form factor: 14"x12"x12"
$90

And a real soundbar-sized one with a 6.5" driver.

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Audio-PSW-6-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00KGA6A8A
Small box form factor: 11"x10"x9"
$95

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yep, just get the home theater receiver. Even if you don't need all the extra inputs and outputs now, they may come in handy some day. These things usually last until you outgrow them - I'm still using a Yamaha from the late 90s that I bought with high school summer job money and slowly built into a 3.1 that I still have set up in a room today. It's done 2.0 and 5.1 duty in that time period as well.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 6, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m going to be the single voice of dissent here and say that there are quite a few 2-channel receivers with optical TOSlink inputs and sub outputs built in (Yamaha AS-xxx series, IOTAVX, etc).

and for those that don’t have onboard TOSlink, you can relatively easily get a DAC to handle that.

I agree that having HDMI is probably worth it for most normie users in most cases (obviously if I want to use my vintage gear I’m not going to be using it, but also I’m a weirdo hobbyist), but it’s not 100% the only way.

There are plenty of reasons why somebody would/should prefer to go with TOSlink+2.channel, or use an existing setup, and I wouldn’t be like “no scrap all that. You absolutely need HDMI”.

Even with certain older 5.1 channel setups, sometimes the most economical/sensible solution by far is to keep the existing receiver. The difference in available surround codec isn’t going to be hugely palpable to a lot of users.
I agree with most of your points (and still use that ~25yr old Yamaha AV receiver I mentioned with TOSLINK from a cheap TV), but for a new person looking to buy a single receiver with TV and potential game system involvement, I do think there's a lot more value in something like the $500 Costco Denon AVR S760H vs a similarly priced stereo integrated amp, even if they are admittedly not going to use all of the features the AV receiver has right now (who does?).

Maybe I'm stupid but I feel like the latter option is only a good rec to buy new when someone is really interested in standalone hi-fi/audiophile music setups. And even then, at this price point (and the associated speaker price point and likely attention to room set-up), I'd argue there's not much of a difference.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Should be ok. Sub placement is much more flexible than anything else, and while there are optimal places to put them, it has more to do with your particular room and the rest of your setup than anything else. Try it there, run your receiver's auto calibration, and if it sounds ok from the couch you're good. If you're not sure, you can try anywhere else that's feasible to compare.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Since we're on subchat, thoughts on SVS pc-2000 (pro) etc. trash can style vs sealed or ported cubes? I'm in no way in my forever house yet and the flexibility in terms of sound (ported with optional inserts) and placement is really appealing to me.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
3.1 is nice especially for dialogue balance, but if there's no spot for a center, 2.1 using smaller bookshelf speakers (4-6" woofers) is still miles better than a sound bar IME.

The way you describe it though, It sounds like you don't even have room for a receiver, so a soundbar + wireless sub you can stash elsewhere in the room seems ideal. They are still a big upgrade over the poo poo speakers TVs come with these days, and they're going to be pretty much as good as any tiny speaker/monitor setup but with a more convenient form factor and control schema.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Greekonomics posted:

I know this is a stupid question, but does anyone have any recommendations for good budget speakers for a 3.1 setup?

I am getting this TV and I've already got a refurbished Denon AVR-S650H AV Receiver (because I'm an idiot and bought the wrong one).

It's going to be installed in an open kitchen/dining room/living room space in my apartment, and it's going to be mainly used for streaming/UHDs with occasional gaming.

Jamo speaker deals on Adorama via Slickdeals are a good entry level choice, but knowing more about your budget would help.

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=jamo&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Harriet Carker posted:

what's the current thread favorite for receiver + 3.1 setup for movies and PS5 gaming?

Denon AVR S760H ($500 at Costco) has a pretty optimal combo of price and up-to-date HDMI specs for home theater and gaming. Your 2.1 or 3.1 on top of that is budget dependent.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Is there a small, cheaper Chinese version of the big chunky Denons and Yamahas?

The perks of a new denon/onkyo/yamaha etc. are that you've got all the most up to date connectivity and audio processing standards. You also get high quality components that will last for decades and not gently caress up other stuff you connect to them. Cheap knockoffs will have neither. If it's a budget issue, get an older receiver from a decent manufacturer - I see 5 under $50 that would work for this on my local craigslist. You won't get the up to date tech (dolby 5.1 is fine for anyone on a budget setup though) but you will get something you can hook your other stuff up to without worry.

I have used a cheap bluetooth stereo amp from Pyle to drive free-to-me junky speakers on my porch and it works fine, though there's definitely a bit of a buzz. https://smile.amazon.com/stores/pag...2d&ref_=ast_bln

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Not sure how easy they are to get in the UK but monoprice has multiple options depending on which Bluetooth audio standards and codecs you want supported. This is the fancier one

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...dRoCvIwQAvD_BwE

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Not familiar with them but it looks like audioholics has a pretty high opinion.

Owners thread over there: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/rbh-sound-owners-thread.91330/

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
That sucks but at least you caught it in time. Shame that relatively higher end stuff doesn't have better QC.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ideally you match the timbre of the center to the L/R fronts (maybe even use the same speaker if possible). I'm not that familiar with KLH but a quick browse of their offerings revealed that the only center channel they offer is not matched to the 5.

Another 5 is probably overkill and may not fit with your room setup given their size. If you just want it for HT to hear dialogue better etc. then I'd probably recommend that KLH Story center (it will likely be closer than what other brands offer) or to see what other people who have the 5s run in a 3.1 setup.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Assuming you mean definitive technology BP9060. They are solid speakers, but since you mention expandability, it's worth pointing out a few things.

The main difference between them and other floor standing speakers in that price range is that they have built in smallish powered subwoofers. This makes them easy to drive with a lower output receiver/amp and gives them an bigger mid-bass response that can go without a separate sub in a basic set up. But they roll off hard below 30ish Hz and you really do need a sub if you want to fill that gap in your system. And a good sub is going to end up making those mini subs somewhat useless because it will do a better job with most of the bass output. So if that's something you might want to add some day, your money would possibly be better spent on towers or bookshelf speakers with better mid and high range sound and leave the bass to that future sub purchase.

I have a neighbor who has these because his partner didn't want a bunch of speakers everywhere and only agreed to a 2.0. I think these were a good choice there, but I'd look at other options for a 2.0 that could expand into a potential 2.1, 3.1, or even bigger setup.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's not going to be in the same ballpark as a 2k setup, but free is great and it will be a step up from TV speakers or a soundbar. Use it and see if it meets your current needs and expectations while you consider upgrades further. Maybe go listen to some nicer setups to get a better idea of what upgrades actually provide.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Fair enough. I’d like my speakers to be a bit more powerful at least though. And the sub is a paperweight at just 50 watts, that I gotta replace first.

Can the receiver I have, seen here, handle a couple more beefy tower speakers up front? I think 95 watts per channel is fine if it’s just a 5.1.

Yes, you could absolutely drive some better fronts with that. But as has been pointed out to you already - hook this stuff up and make sure it works for you. I also get excited thinking about upgrading my stuff, but make sure you know what you have before you start going too far with any plans.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

Can anyone recommend a good entry-level centre channel speaker for around, idk, £100? I currently have a kind of crappy yamaha one that came as part of a set and it's sometimes a bit hard to hear dialogue in surround-mixed content. I say £100 as I've had good luck with bookshelf speakers/studio monitors that cost around that much (each). Apparently it's the most important speaker for surround-mixed content and I am a stickler for audial clarity so I'm not above paying a bit more if it's required.

Also, how much should one expect to pay for a subwoofer of roughly equivalent quality? Any no-brainer recommendations? I never actually got round to buying one for this setup (I was scared of the vibrations bothering the neighbours and then just forgot)

What's your current setup?

Throwing a different center channel in is unlikely to solve this problem unless you have a very specific situation.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Probably you're on the right track with replacing the L+R instead. When you get them, try disconnecting the center and listen to a bit of content with just 4.1 for a while, see if the dialog is clearer. (It could be, by virtue of coming from the new, higher-quality L+R speakers!)

Then compare with the center connected as well, in 5.1, and see if it improves or declines. Having a center speaker does not automatically make dialog easier to hear, since content these days is mixed to put a lot of stuff in that center channel. Dialog is competing with explosions and music, just like it does in L+R.

If you want to go a little into hifi nerd territory, technically a Yamaha center won't be matched well to another brand's L+R in terms of timbre, so unless they're all very neutral-sounding, you might find they sound odd together for some reason. I never used an unmatched center speaker so I can't say if this is usually a prominent effect, and anyway it would probably depend a lot on the particulars of your specific speakers. If you run any kind of Audyssey or similar process, at least you'll get them equalized and with normalized volumes so it should hopefully not be too terrible.

Hifi nerd territory addendum - if you're looking into Q150s, you can get 3 and use one as a center either upright or turned on its side - will blend perfectly with your L&R then!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

Q250c is a well designed center to go with them, albeit pricey and never discounted, if you’d rather go a more conventional route. It’s not stupid small like many/most center channels.

KEF gets you with the discount Q150/Q350, because the Q250c/Q650c and Q50a (as mounted surrounds or height channels) are pretty much never on sale. If you can fit 150/350 in those roles it’s far and away best bang-for-buck, but it’s not always ideal depending on your space

Exactly. Their Q series centers nearly match their R series pricing, so I can't imagine a budget where buying Q fronts + Q center makes sense especially when the Q150/350 can lie down without issue.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah I would never recommend a new soundbar unless you absolutely can't make discrete speakers work. If you really don't have space for discrete speakers, this is a good list of stuff in your price range: https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/best/by-price/under-200 but you can also likely find something of similar quality on craigslist/FB marketplace for <$100.

Full disclosure I use a ~$250 MSRP Samsung 2.1 soundbar on my WFH computer desk because I found it for $40 on craigslist 8 years ago and it works well enough in that space when I don't want to use headphones.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 9, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I haven't read anything bad about that sub but it's just overpriced for what you get - $600 for an 8" driver with a 300w amp and a 34hz floor. It may be great for your space so, depending on the return policy, you can listen and just keep it if you like it. Not sure what you paid, but these are all more capable and better reviewed for a similar MSRP.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/speedwoofer-10s-mkii/
$450, 10" 400w 22Hz

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000-pro-subwoofer
$600, 12" 325w 20Hz, app setup for variable tuning

https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html
$650, 12" 350w 16Hz, port setup for variable tuning

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000-pro-subwoofer
$800, 12" 325w 17Hz, app and port setup for variable tuning

The RSL and Hsu options are the best bang for your buck at MSRP, but SVS pro subs do have a great app for setup and are regularly discounted in their outlet store. The older, app-less non-pro SB and PB 1000 or 2000 models are worth considering as well if you can find a deal on them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'd definitely take the SVS over the KEF if they're the same price and it's no hassle from Best Buy.

That receiver is a good match for your current setup and you can expand it out with rear channels or an additional sub later if you choose. If you ever want to get a bigger 7+ channel setup, you can just buy a new receiver and use this in another room or sell it - no reason to pay a bunch more for another receiver when you're just getting started unless you have serious plans to expand sooner than later.

3.1 is great and will work with your receiver in 5.1 mode. There's lots of ways to do your setup but one that is a good starting place is to connect and place your speakers and sub, run Audyssey on your receiver, then follow more detailed instructions here on your sub: https://www.svsound.com/blogs/subwoofer-setup-and-tuning/subwoofer-calibration-tuning-getting-the-bass-just-right
SVS has great customer support and you can reach out to them if you want help from a real person.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Need a budget and what country you live in to give more specific recommendations, but, in general...

2.1 with a stereo amp powering passive stereo speakers and an active sub will be the best bang for your buck and provide the best flexibility for future upgrades/changes in your desire for HT sound

2.1 with active speakers and sub can potentially sound as good as the above but can cost a lot more to get comparable sound depending on the price point

A soundbar is easy to set up but will not compare to even the most basic 2.1 in terms of sound quality, though it will still be an obvious upgrade over TV speakers

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Canada, and maybe $500-700 without sub?
Speakers or an amp that can be controlled from my LG TV's magic remote would be awesome too.

Hmm, not sure if you have access to US deals, but 2x KEF Q150 bookshelf speakers on their side would be a big upgrade from your T300s and they're 50% off at $300USD/pair at best buy and other retailers right now. Use the rest of the budget on whichever receiver and remote setup meets your needs - getting something that's 2.1, can take your TV remote's volume controls, and also not be a huge boxy AVR may be the hardest part of this.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

nine16thsdago posted:

i hope someone finds this as entertaining as it was absolutely terrifying for me.

anybody ever heard of that happening before?

if this thing is possessed or dying, what should I look to replace it with? i just want a solid 5.1 receiver with HDMI inputs.

Closest thing I've experienced to this was a baby playing with the remote enough to get the Yamaha room calibration test tones running down in the basement while I was mowing the lawn and the spouse was watching him. She came outside and was semi incoherent and panicking about someone hacking the TV.

Not sure about troubleshooting this but this is a solid solution if you're in the US and want a new one: https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...warranty/1.html

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Oysters Autobio posted:

I have a hand-me-down Samsung Bluray HTIB (the HT-BD1250 I believe) that I got years ago that sounded fine, no complaints even though its pretty old.

So, after moving and never setting up the speakers, we've since switched to a Firestick HD for streaming but now I realized I have no way it seems to actually use the speakers anymore since I'm no longer streaming off the god-awful Netflix app that was built into the Bluray player.

And because its an HTIB, its all built off those little proprietary ethernet-like ports.

Do I have any options here at all to somehow use the speakers and the Firestick? If there's no way to connect them, is there a way I could still salvage the speakers and just get a new receiver (there's some apparently high quality ones just sitting at my parents house)?

If your TV has audio out it looks like the BD player/receiver has both digital and analog audio inputs. You would run the appropriate cable from your TV to the BD player and set it to that input to pipe TV/fire stick audio out of the speakers.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Well I think my subwoofer is finally well and truly cooked. 15 years of service including some rough years when my house was the party house. Definitely had beer spilled on it and cranked out hours and hours of 808s.

Is there a go to budget recommendation currently? It'll pair with my q150s and q250c in a 3.1 setup. Mostly movies/tv and gaming but some music too.
All these are $400-500 with current pricing and are excellent entry level subs. Hsu Research and Rythmik are also great but start at $600-700.

The RSL and SB1000 are smaller footprint than the PB1000, but the PB1000 will go a bit lower.

https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s-mkii/
https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000-black-ash-outlet-1
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000-outlet-1

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I would consider pulling the trigger on this but none available in my area. Thanks for the heads up in any case.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

Oh dang sorry to hear that. There was like 5-10 pairs within my area (Seattle) granted, there are also several best buys, so. Bear in mind that they do a mile radius- if you are willing to go drive a little longer to get them, try casting a larger net. it could be worth it.

Yeah I'm in the Philly suburbs and the search is hitting pretty much everything from DC to NYC so I think they're probably just gone over here already. There are some screaming good deals on R7s and R11s too but I have no place to put them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-37 receiver, and I've been searching craigslist for a newer Elite model. I can't figure out Pioneer's numbering scheme.
I found a Pioneer Elite vsx-59, but apparently it was made 3-5 years before my SC-37.

I've been googling and I can't find a list of models and when they were released. Any help?

Looking at 2010-2015+ year models

e: ah, I found out that SC is the top of the line and different from Elite and VSX line of receivers.
Cool historical archive on Pioneer's site - can look by ~10 year period at various categories: https://global.pioneer/en/corp/info/history/chronology/archives/2008/

Pioneer's home audio was sold off to onkyo in 2014-2015 and more recently onkyo got rescued by voxx/sharp in the form of Premium Audio Company. Onkyo, integra, and Pioneer are all made by the same folks at this point, so you might consider those brands as well.
https://www.audioholics.com/news/despite-bankruptcy-onkyo-pioneer-elite-av-drives-on

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

olives black posted:

Just got my Yamaha A-S701 :rock:

What's the $200-400 subwoofer du jour?
SVS has an outlet sale going right now for memorial day - grab a PB1000 (if you have room, they are big) or SB1000 for $400: https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials

Hsu research is another to look for used along with SVS and Rythmik.

Speedwoofers are $450 new and also a solid choice, though they are constantly on backorder: https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s-mkii/

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m still in the early planning and budgeting stages. I don’t want to cheap out on sound or anything but I’m not an audiophile by any means. I mainly want the speakers to be reliable and not sound like farts.

We can make pretty specific recommendations once you have a budget in mind, but it's worth giving you some expectations. You should be ready to spend $1k USD minimum for a new 5.1 set up that's not a HTIAB - though you can definitely spend less with used gear. Spending 2-3k gets you a lot more and is definitely worth it if you have the budget. Spending as much as 5k will provide noticeable improvements and should have you looking at a larger setup than 5.1.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Buying fewer speakers means more money to spend on bigger/better individual speakers where it really counts (your fronts)
This is very true - you'll need to budget more if you want to add more surround or atmos channels, additional subs, etc., both to buy the speakers and to get a receiver that's got the appropriate outputs and juice to drive them.

If you do have some budget constraints, it's definitely worth considering a staged set of upgrades so you don't end up with a receiver or speaker that is a dead end. There's lots of strategies to prevent this that will provide a nice audio experience now without forcing you to spend too much right off the bat.

You can buy a full 5.1 for $1-2k, but you'll likely be locked into a lower end receiver, sub, and center that won't have any place in an upgraded system.

As Ok Comboomer mentioned, $1-2k spent on a fully featured receiver and larger and higher quality L&R fronts (2.0) is going to sound great (esp for music) and be a perfect platform to upgrade. If you want more of a HT specific experience you can also spend $1-2k on a fully featured receiver, solid sub, and 4 decent bookshelfs (4.1) to get surround and lower, punchier bass right off the bat, and then you can save as much as you want for your dream L&R fronts w/matching center and move the bookshelfs to 7ch surround duty.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 27, 2023

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

IMO, the secret to “cinematic” home audio lies more in having big, meaty fronts with lots of easy dynamic range and bass/midbass than it does in surround sound (subwoofers are also obviously very important for this).

People get hung up on surround sound, but a 2.1 setup with Big Powerful Speakers will always sound more “theatrical” than a 5.1/7.1/9.2/etc with tiny or much less capacious speakers.

We are in complete agreement, I've just had little luck convincing HT focused people into initial setups that don't include surround channels. Trying to mitigate bad decisions.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you like them and something is wrong with them you should look into repair. 11 years is really young for speakers.

Edit: the youngest speakers I own are from 2006, oldest are 70s era hand me downs from my dad.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 1, 2023

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Well Played Mauer posted:

Is there a general recommendation for entry level home theater setups between $500 and $1,000? Mostly looking for something I can start small with but grow into over some time.

Any suggestions or directions I should look?
Spend most of that on a receiver that can support your current tech needs and future total channel goals (something between 5.1 and 7.2.2 makes sense with this budget) and get two solid bookshelf speakers to use as front R&L to start with. You can then eventually drop additional cash on nicer front R&L and move your initial set to rear duty. Along the way you can also add a sub or two, a center, and potentially more surround or height channels if that's where you want to end up.

If you're in the US, check accessories4less. An example within your price range would be a pair of factory recertified KEF Q150s ($350) with a factory refurbished Denon receiver among the S970H ($400), X2700H ($500) and the X2800H ($650) depending on what you want to hook up to it.

This will be a very noticeable upgrade from the get go and will help you avoid buying components that you'll eventually have no use for.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2023

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

So, this is kind of an rear end in a top hat short fuse ask, but can anyone give me a recommendation for a 7.1 setup for under $2,500? Tower speakers for the front two preferred. Smaller, wall-mountable (wireless?) preferred for the rear speakers. I'm not huge on asthetics as long as the colors are fairly neutral and works with the above Pioneer LX305.
Not sure if you are including the receiver in that 2500, but assuming you aren't...

Taking advantage of the SVS outlet sale could get you a solid 7.1 a bit over budget (they don't have prime centers in black ash, only the upcharged gloss, so you might as well bump up to the ultra since they're all timbre matched anyway):

5.0.2 option for $1900 or 5.1.2 for $2600 - would not jump on this unless you know you like Klipsch sound though: https://slickdeals.net/f/17098180-klipsch-reference-premiere-speakers-2x-rp-8060fa-ii-rp-504c-ii-2x-rp-502s-ii-1899-more-free-s-h

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
One more suggestion, you could also grab some cheaper in-wall speakers for your sides/rears and drop more on the L/R/Center/Sub. 4 of these for instance: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34199 for $200 would help you spend more where it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43241

quote:

50 Watts per Speaker
Flat Frequency Response
Dual 4" Woofers per Speaker
1" Silk Dome Tweeter
5.25" Passive Radiator
45Hz-20Khz Frequency Response +/- 3db
Bluetooth 5 with aptX HD
Toslink Optical Input
USB-C Input
RCA & 3.5mm Inputs
Subwoofer Output
Front Headphone Jack
Remote Control

Designed to be desktop nearfield monitors, though they're kind big for that duty at 6"x14"x8". Not even close to as nice as the LS50 metas, but they were on sale for $215 during cyberblack frimonday. Today they're $20 cheaper so I pulled the trigger and plan to use them in my garage.

I currently have a tiny powered 2.1 with built-in bluetooth that was <$50 on sale from a noname brand on newegg years ago. Even if this isn't audiophile tier stuff it should be a big upgrade - each of these is individually bigger than the current "sub" in the 2.1.