Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Selling some Novation Dicers broze

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

That's pretty awesome, but what do you ground a turntable to?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

vanilla slimfast posted:

The audio8 (and presumably the audio10) has a ground post on it

edit: derp should have read the link first, you wouldn't have an audio8/10 in that scenario. Does the S4 have a ground post on it? I can't remember.

I don't think it does - but for most purposes, it seems a little over the top to carry an S4 and 1200s around anyway

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Splinter posted:

That's good news. The upgrade price isn't bad either.

The S4 has a grounding post. I'm running a 1200mk2 into one atm.

Sweet, but like I said, not super practical, right?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Splinter posted:

In what way?

If you're going someplace that doesn't already have decks and a mixer, you'd bring the S4 instead of a mixer.

If you already have a nice mixer, I'd say something like an X1 and an interface would be more practical than an S4.

I don't think there's much need for timecode if you have an S4 unless you scratch. The S4's jogs are pretty good, and if you take full advantage of Traktor's sync capabilities you don't even have to use them much.

I split my gigs between quite a few different types of venues. When I go to a club, I take Serato and play off of 1200s (usually). When I'm playing private gigs, I take my 1200s, mixer, and Serato, and it's because I'm an (apparently) old dude that can't let go of vinyl. It would be nice to take the S4 to private gigs and not haul everything out if I'm not getting crazy on cuts and stuff. But, I don't see that replacing my mixer for non-club gigs. Bringing the S4 and two turntables seems impractical.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Le0 posted:

does the 15'' hiress screen really does that much of a difference?
Also a mate of mine is telling me to get the 7200rpm hard drive because Serato/Traktor would not be able to cope without it? I'm calling bullshit on this but what do you guys think?

Yes, the hi-res makes a huge difference - the more screen real estate, the better.

Get the 5400rpm. Then switch it out with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gate-_-22148591

dj bobby bieber fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 14, 2011

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

THAT drat DOG posted:

Anyone have experience on the audio side of DJing? I'm looking for a pair of powered speakers, and I'm stuck between JBL EON G2, Mackie Thump TH15A, and American Audio XSP.

First off, are 15" speakers overkill for a 75-125 person crowd? I'd rather go easier on my wallet and hopefully not blow my crowds eardrums, would a 12" speaker suffice?

B52 Matrix systems, as stated, are really nice. loving huge sub, though. I have an EON system and I love it, but I got mine secondhand for like $150 each. It was a steal.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Vector 7 posted:

I got another DJ to switch from Serato to Ableton. Once he got his head around warping he realized how much it rocks.

How is scratching working out for him?

Oh yeah

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
So something with my Serato boned me pretty bad in front of about 600 people last night. First, I lost tracking on a live record randomly (cleaned stylus, checked connections and everything) so I had to switch to INT. Then it happened again. I switched needles (from Ortofons to M44s) and it happened again later, even with a strong signal. My left deck kept jumping in Serato (no, not the needle) when I was trying to drop records. This isn't the first time this has happened to me either, and it's annoying as gently caress, especially because I played four hours with an NS7 previously and had 0 problems. Anyone have any suggestions when this happens? It really only happens when I play out, and I make sure everything is calibrated.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

chrix posted:

If the signal bar was clean (white, instead of red) then it sounds like it's a problem with your laptop. Did you have a chance to take a look at your signal waveforms?

The signal bar would be fine, and then all of a sudden get totally out of whack. It was really weird. Waveforms looked good throughout the night, I was too busy putting out the fire when it got messed up to see the waveforms.

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

How loud was the music? I've had problems where the booth was lovely made so the vibrations from the speaker system just poo poo all over the calibration.

When calibrating did you turn the music up to the normal volume you would be playing at and then hit the [EST] so the threshold would be properly calibrated?

The booth was lovely and some dude jumped on it and it caused the needle to jump, so yeah that was a problem as well, but in soundcheck at full volume was when I calibrated. Does the play marker get jumpy when it's not calibrated correctly?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

once they design a better NS7

What's wrong with it now? I love everything except the fact that there's 7" platters and not 12", which makes for weird scratching (for me at least).

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I need some help guys!

I don't know whether to post here or the dj mixes thread since to be honest, but I'd rather not post there until i'm ready! kinda like a goal.

ANYWAY! For mixes what's a good way to transition into a new song? Just chop over? Or maybe use a effect or loop the last beat to try and beat match it into the next?

I'm having a hard time here.

also since im discussing effects! is less more? do you simply play the song and just mess around with the treble and bass a bit or leave as is. or do you try and throw in some loops or any effects?

I HIGHLY suggest reading this book

http://www.amazon.com/How-DJ-Right-Science-Playing/dp/0802139957

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
my new dj mix

http://soundcloud.com/filteredfriday/melee-teachers-part-1

critique and comments welcome

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Everyone should read that book. I read it after 7 years of DJing and it really changed my outlook on life

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
This is pretty legit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxgKCmGVnG0

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I think what a lot of people miss in this argument is that there's a vibe that's really important, and you're in control of it. That goes beyond making a playlist and just playing songs off of it.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
i made you guys a picture

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Sjoewe posted:

I respect any DJ who shows love for his genre and is willing to take a risk by being sharp in his track selection, dispite what everyone else is playing. And I strongly disagree with the scheme above. This is only true, when your audience is made up of teenagers of college students.
Hell I even know DJ's that put tape over their vinyl labels to prevent anyonegetting to known the title of the track they are playing.
I love DJ's who agonize the sh*t out of me by playing all these great tracks that I don't known.

This is what is hilarious to me. The only way you can really get away with constantly breaking new stuff and generally playing whatever the gently caress you want is if people are there solely to see you perform and that's what you are known for. Everyone thinks they are this caliber. That's the problem with so many DJs - you aren't a superstar, people aren't there to see how zany "eclectic" you are.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

The club DJ scene has turned into a circus show full of a douchebag clowns like Pauly D and sideshow mask wearing faggots that wanna be the next deadmau5. The fact that a piece of poo poo like Pauly D can get ranked higher on America's best DJ opposed to someone actually talented like DJ Kue is mind boggling.

Yeah pretty much this. Its gotten a lot worse since electro kinda flared up, it's turned into this boutique thing. And yeah Kue is legit, we're gonna do some shows as Warehouse pretty soon here

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Northern California isn't exactly the easiest place to get showtime around, considering (IMO, not fact based) it probably has the highest concentration of DJs in the United States. I know lots of guys that travel great distances around the bay just to play. The SFPD is infamous for seizing DJs laptops equipment, Oakland is just dangerous, the south bay is quiet. Never been to Sacramento, but maybe its better there.

Sacramento isn't so hot - there's a couple of good spots, but for the most part, there's some pretty poorly booked and promoted nights. I haven't been to District 30 yet though, which is supposed to be p sweet.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Sjoewe posted:

Hilarious even...
I find it fascinating to see how you are basically saying that be like everyone else and play the same poo poo as everyone else to stand out from the rest...

I think something was lost in translation because I never said that, and that's certainly not how I feel. If that were the case, DJing would be loving boring. I think that new DJs have a tendency to overlook their audience's expectations sometimes, and that goes for the frat party, club, rave, wedding, whatever party you want to talk about.

I don't think what I'm saying is elitist or out of line - I've been to plenty of parties where the dancefloor was empty because the DJ wouldn't get a good record in because hey they're the DJ and they can play whatever they want. To me, that's not how it works.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I think we can all agree on one thing here

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Is anyone looking for a PMC 07 Pro Anniversary? I wanna get rid of it.

I have a beat up PMC 280 too :x

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Professorbx posted:

How beat up?

It could use a new faceplate. Besides that though, it's in good shape. It's just one of the chrome ones that are tough to maintain

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Le0 posted:

Well of course, Pioneer being Pioneer means it costs a way bit more for a controller that is not THAT much better imo. I like the S4 look and feel

Then stop waiting for goon approval and get it

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

The Dark Wind posted:

So, I think I'm ready to move to the next level and invest more seriously in some DJ gear. I should have about a budget of about $2000 to work on, more or less. I'm still trying to decide between CDJs of some sort or the kontrol S4 + traktor and get a few other toys with the remaining money. I plan on djing some house parties with top 40 and dubstep type stuff, and eventually moving towards clubs and playing house music of different sorts. I know in most clubs CDJs are the standard, so ideally I'd want to learn on those. I've heard a couple of stories of people not getting jobs because of controllers and what not, and I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible. I live in the north east if it matters. What I'm wondering is, what route should I go for? I know CDJs are more expensive, but with a budget of $2000 what kind of setup could I get that'll hopefully last me for a long time?

I'd say

2 x http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/DJ/CD-DVD-Media-Players/CDJ-800MK2+-+Refurbished

($800)

+

Traktor/Serato/etc

(~$400)

+

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Model&keyword=10395&mid=399&lbs=12

($329)

=

$1529

or you could be a Real Dude DJ and get Techs. I got my mk2s for $700 in November

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Dopo posted:

There's no reason to buy CDJs to use as controllers for your first DJ setup. I'd just go with the CDJs and a mixer. I can't say enough good things about not relying on my laptop for DJing. When you come home with a song stuck in your head do you really want to have to hook up a bunch of cables and restart your laptop to play some music? And do you really want to unhook and restart your laptop every time you want to use it on your couch? I found myself not DJing much because it was such a pain in the rear end.

That looks like a hell of a price for CDJ800 mk2s but if you go with one of the newer CDJ models (350, 850, 900, 2000) you can play music off a portable hard drive which is super convenient. If you're serious about playing out at clubs then you'll probably need to burn tons of CDs anyway, but being able to basically drag and drop files to a turntable is loving fantastic. If you just want to play music off a laptop then buy a controller. Otherwise you're paying for tons of audio functionality that you're not using. That's not to mention the cost of a laptop if your current one isn't up to the task. You can always go and buy serato or traktor later if you want to open that can of worms.

Melee, do you have any more gigs in SF? I ended up going to see Cassian the night of your previous one.

I'm playing a live remix set at B412 in Palo Alto on April 16th.. That's all I have so far. I don't really play out much because I'm bad at networking.

Anyway, the reason I recommend 800's is because they have the same feel as the more expensive ones you're going to see when you move up to the clubs. Luckily most of the places I've been going have had both, but for your at-home and mobile install, it's great to have what's in the clubs to practice on. CDJ-900s are expensive as gently caress though, and I've seen a ton of 57SL's and Serato/Traktor setups in general at 99% of the clubs. The only place I haven't seen them is at some of the hipster electro nights where everyone shows up with a different piece of technology. Playing off of a flash drive or hard drive isn't worth it at $1500 a piece or whatever they are.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I'm selling an NS7 if anyone is interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518496

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Mister Speaker posted:

Revmoo's weird monitoring solution makes me wonder - does anybody out there DJ with in-ears? Proper in-ear stage monitors, I mean? Seems like they'd be a boon, but I can also see how they'd be annoying and they tend to be expensive. Thoughts?

I use Etymotic ER4s when DJing. They aren't really annoying at all. I'm not really sure what else to say.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

phractured posted:

Hey guys, I got a Traktor S4 for Christmas last year, and since then I have practiced a lot regarding my phrasing, EQing, and song selection for my mixes. However, most of my friends aren't DJs, so they can't really give me feedback besides "that shits good." I posted a mix in the mix thread a while back, but that thread doesn't really seem to be about giving critique. If I posted a mix with all my transition times, would anybody be willing to give me some feedback? I would love to get the opinions of people who DJ and who have an ear for the minor imperfections. Please let me know if this is allowed.

Post it duder ill check it out

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

First transition - technically, it is fine - but I think you needed an edit on both tracks. When you're coming in 1:52 after the track has dropped, it's a good idea to chop down the track so you can at least go out on the track's natural outro (or create your own outro with the rest of the track). That'll make it sound really clean. Same thing with the second transition - you're just dropping into really busy parts of the track.

Actually, going through the rest of the mix, I think that's what you're really missing - I think you want to shorten up the playtime on the tracks, but in the process you're mashing together the tracks kind of tightly - it'll work for tracks you know really well, but sometimes it gets a little busy. This'll bite you especially on hip-hop tracks - those, you really need to use those intro/outro loops and drop in at the right time. Use the intros and outros to lead the songs in and out and you should be ok.

If you want to go to the extreme and get into quickmixing, chop every song down to like 1:50 with intros and outros and have fun

tl;dr edits dude

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Alfajor posted:

I was doing this by accident. My wife (aka my audience of 1 as I do my thing in the living room) pointed out that I'm not letting the tracks play out enough to be actually enjoyed.
I took her advice, and I'm letting songs play for more than just a minute, and I can tell that there's a much better flow of energy if you let the tracks do their own thing.
My problem was that I felt like I was just standing there as a track plays, but I guess that's when I'll do my Jesus poses.

I've found that it is very entertaining (and effective) to quick mix in bar-driven clubs that are top40/house format and during/after peak hour. Keeps the energy high and you get to plow through a bunch of new and old songs. Elsewhere, people are going to think you have ADD.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

I'd like to eventually go on to DJing around the city I live but for now just house party stuff, I'd like something that's capable of both but not too complicated. Price ins't really much of an issue.

Rane Sixty Two or Traktor Z2 and some 1200s.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

Thanks for the response, but I clearly underestimated the cost of this stuff. I have about 1 grand to spend total, can you recommend anything in a lower price range?

Edit: I'm taking a look at the ns7, looks pretty good, any advice? What's the difference between the ns6 and the ns7, and is the price difference worth it?

I'm selling an NS7 if you're interested. It is kind of a niche product with the turntables. I personally love the feel because I started on turntables, but the ns6 has more features as a controller. The new Pioneer controller is the one to beat at the moment (I think anyway) and I can see it being adopted in the clubs. The Traktor controllers are very nice and generally cheaper. Both will do more than you need to get started.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Solus posted:

I want a DDJ-SX but it's like 2 Grand in New Zealand Pesos. And that's a lot of pesos.

I think there's a strong possibility that you'll see those installed in clubs in the future. I'm not rushing out to buy one, but it has the namepower and the features to possibly overtake CDJs. It's $999USD here, which is a lot for what it is but not too unreasonable.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Old Man Pants posted:

More effects and much better MIDI customization would be my guess.

Yeah, definitely not cash or free equipment.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Speaking of used stuff, I put my NS7 back in SA Mart - really good price ($600) if you're in the market.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531530

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Anyone looking for a DJM-800 with an innofader?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/3708803330.html

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Longtiem posted:

Blehhh, audio on traktor DVS system cutting skipping and stopping play back randomly. Friend told me its a needle problem but I dunno how right that is. Anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Playback is fine with a controller so obviously its in the turntables somewhere.

Sounds like it could be a ground issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Guesstimate Crohns posted:

I don't know where you're based but certainly in the UK you can get a pair of decks and a traktor scratch enabled mixer for cheaper than an NS7.

NS7 values have fallen through the floor - they go for $500-600.