Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Speaking of club poo poo, has anyone been on the Sixty Two? That thing is a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Muck and Mire posted:

I kind of hate this mixer, my regular spot has the four channel version. The 2 USB ports are a dream but I'd probably rather have an SL4 and a DJM800 if it's all the same.

The cue point buttons are weird and hard instead of sticky like MPC pads, there are way too many loving buttons, and the thing is crazy bright for no real reason. Also the per-channel levels are like, five tiny LEDs each, it makes reading them kind of difficult. The first cue button is already broken (it's a club mixer so of course it is) on one of the decks too. It's definitely not the worst mixer in the world and it's an improvement from the 57 but in my experience it's not a dream. I'd probably like it much more if I had one at home though, I did spend the first hour of a gig trying to figure the thing out when it showed up.

Yeah, I was a little overwhelmed by all the stuff on it, but after about 45 minutes or so I was dialed in and comfortable with it. Might be my next but I'm not sure if I want to drop that much money on a mixer for home

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Anyone care to comment on Z2 vs 62? I've run Serato for a long time (and the bridge, even), but 1500+ seems super steep for a mixer. I haven't heard great things about the Z2 either, so I'm hoping that someone has some thoughts about the whole thing.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

TheWevel posted:

I haven't seen a Z2 out in the wild yet, but I do know from experience that the buttons on the 62 are pretty terrible. What about a DJM-T1?

That came down in price quite a bit - no filter knob though which is a dream for disco :(

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

oredun posted:

T1 has amazing buttons. Same ones as cdjs, just smaller buttons.

The z2 does have dedicated filters, while the djm-t1 does not. this isnt a problem(you have 2 knobs for efx and 1 knob as hp/lp like djm800) so its 2 efx, 1 filter for either mixer. I havnt used a Z2, but based off the quality of other NI djing equipement, i wouldnt buy one.

Ive used my t1 at dozens and dozens of gigs, and while it lives in case, i take it out for gigs, and it still looks and works like i took it out of the box. Its really really impressive.

Seems like a more solid option than the Z2, and yeah, I completely forgot that the effect can be put on one of the FX knobs.

My only other question that I haven't really seen answered is, how is the looping on the mixer? And did it come with control vinyl?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

oredun posted:

I dont understand what its even about. Why is it so new and different?

I think the 64 is incremental (with some layout changes mostly) and the 900 just incorporates the Serato hardware.. without cue buttons, which is weird?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

88h88 posted:

Anyone else using in-ears at all? I find them easier to cue tracks with personally due to them sitting right in my ear. It also means I don't need to run the volume as loud which saves my hearing a bit.

I notice Wolfgang Gartner uses them but I've never really seen anyone else doing so.

I've used them for about 9 years. Ety ER4s for production and DJing

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Alfajor posted:

A friend recommended me to DJ at his brother's wedding. I've never DJ'd a wedding before, but it's low expectations (already talked to groom and bride) and they're offering me $500... so I've taken the offer to see how it goes, and perhaps make it the first of many, since I understand that DJing weddings is a good little side gig business wise, even if it's selling my soul for a night.
Anyway, I have a need for "classic" wedding music, and I'd like to go about it legitimately. Can anyone point me to some sort of package of a few hours worth of traditional songs played at weddings? I'm guessing it'll mostly be pop, rock ballads and the like... For example, the bride's entrance song is "Don't wanna miss a thing" by Aerosmith, or as she said it: that song from Armageddon.

Don't ask us. Use this:

http://www.archermusic.com/DJ%20questionaire%20for%20Wedding%20Receptions2.pdf

Make sure you have a schedule with times of your announcements, as well. Ask if they are working with a coordinator - if they aren't, you'll need to be stringent on logistics.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Lump Shaker posted:

What's your Ableton setup like? Do you have a lot of crazy effects in your live set or a lot of other crap on your laptop? I'm trying to put together an Ableton setup and this is one of my biggest fears.

Yeah, I'd like to know as well. I run a pretty intense live rig and haven't had a crash ever.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
The only time I've seen Ableton crash in a performance scenario was on Windows and the version was probably cracked. That's happened 4-5 times by openers.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

88h88 posted:

Ableton has always mildly terrified me. How do you even use it for a live set?

For DJing, x channels with all of the effects needed on each channel, or use routing/sends to mix that way.

For my live PA, I have a bunch of disco samples, drum kicks, percussion, and synths that I trigger on the fly to create live remixes. Ableton is really flexible.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

I bought this and it didn't say anything about various DJ poses like the heart hands or jesus pose.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

an skeleton posted:

What are some good in ears?

Etymotic ER-4s

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Kid Gloves posted:

Selfie is the end of EDM.

Awooga was parody and look how that turned out.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
EDM isn't for mass consumption. EDM is a way of life. It's about the ups and downs.. The breaks and the sickest, filthiest drops.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

b0red posted:

You forgot to mention PLUR.

Do EDM kids even know about PLUR? That's early 2000s rave scene poo poo. Pre-festies, brah.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Convexed posted:

OK, I'm in a bit of a strange position.

I wanted to get into DJing so I purchased Serato and a pair of SL1200s. When I purchased Serato, I received a golden ticket that entered me into a draw to win a Rane Sixty Eight.

And, well, I won a Rane Sixty Eight. Now I have this gargantuan mixer and I have no idea what half of the buttons do or how to even get started with it. (I can beatmatch house, barely.)

Do you have any suggestions for where I should start learning with this beast?

That's awesome, congrats!

That is a lot of mixer for a new person. Have any of the manuals helped at all? Like, the quick start or anything?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Convexed posted:

I feel like such a phoney! Like I'm the noob who's parent's have bought him all the top quality stuff.

I'll take a look online for some manuals. Strangely enough, the mixer came without any instructions - just the mixer and cables hand wrapped.

Well, I'd start by plugging your 1200s into 1 and 4, and not touching anything else besides the cue mix/headphone controls (to the right of the volume faders). Ignore FlexFX for now, and the cue points should be pretty obvious. Get those setup and you can start slowly integrating FX and everything else.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

19 o'clock posted:

Dude, that's awesome! Worse comes to worst you can unload it for some other gear if you realllllly feel it's beyond you. I vote keep it and train up to use it. That's just insanely cool!

Convexed, if you sell, I'll buy it from you SO FAST. That's my favorite mixer!

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Dude, that's so dope. Don't ever sell that.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Anyone else picking up an Akai AMX? It's just what I need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1nEjpHS7f4

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Firaga posted:

What the hell is the point of this?

I think anything without any sort of jogwheel is mostly appealing to the current generation of up and coming DJs that are incredibly influenced by the trends going on in EDM right now, and that's a HUGE market. I'd imagine those DJs aren't looking up to turntable DJs (even those like A-Trak who have had some success), or even people who are pretty advanced on CDJs like Laidback Luke or Carl Cox.

In targeting that market, they're also hitting some of the people that never really cared about jogwheels in the first place, because they have no need to "drop" in their records, scratch, or cue in that sense. That's one of the joys of having something like pitch bend.

That being said, a lot of these controllers are really overdesigned, and that new NI thing looks like they basically got around a table and said "how many lights can we add to this thing?" That being said, it's going to serve a surging market. It probably won't replace club gear (the Pioneer had the best shot at that) but I don't think it's aiming to.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Dessert Rose posted:

Live remixing.

How's it better than an Ableton setup for live remixing? I do that on my Push. Extra faders would be nice, but I'm happy relegating that to another controller for the launch capabilities from Push.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
You're embarrassed because "elite" DJs say that vinyl is true DJing, and if you're using some mickey mouse controller, you're dumb and not a real DJ. Others are embracing it and starting to accept it. It doesn't matter what you use unless you have a specific goal in mind. If you're trying to become a mainstay at a club, you're going to have to learn whatever is on the house sound. If you're doing anything where you can bring your own equipment, it doesn't really matter. Producing an entertaining and cohesive set is what is ultimately important. There's just as much skill to display using Ableton as there is turntables, it just manifests itself in different ways.

Keep in mind, transitioning is tough - we're coming from a world where all you needed was 1200s and a decent mixer. There's new controllers coming out constantly which makes it hard to determine an entry point. Anyone trashing controllers and controllerisms for the sake of trashing it isn't really worth the time or effort.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

keevo posted:

How is Ableton for doing on the fly sets? I only know how to edits on it. Can you just load up a song onto Ableton at the last minute, do auto-warp and just play it when you need to or do you need to prepare it all before?

Depends entirely on the source and if the track is reliably quantized. For example, I can spot pretty quickly the warping on a Beatport-originating track (if any) - but something like a disco rip would be much, much harder to do on the fly.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Same could be said about a lot of effects that are misused or overused, though - and the new controllers pretty much encourage more FX usage. That trend pretty much started with the DJM-900.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

keevo posted:

So I shouldn't leave the flanger on the entire time?

Nah, man, you gotta twist that depth knob with conviction. It makes the effect more effective.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

keevo posted:

I don't know, it looks like it would take too long to do on the fly and get right.

A lot of people misunderstand what warping is and how to use it. If a track is quantized, like most tracks are, warping should only take a few seconds. Also, with queuing, you can loop a starting section that is quantized and an ending section that is also quantized (via warping for both) and get out of the track cleanly once the loop starts.

Like I said, you don't know pain until you're warping disco records that were recorded to MP3 from a turntable. That takes too long to do on the fly.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I've heard many horror stories about NI DJ hardware/controllers. I'd be all over the Numark NV if I were in the market, although my NS7mk1 had some issues as well.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

mitztronic posted:

As someoen who has used everything and kept up with technology, it doesn't matter what you do - just don't trainwreck. :)

Or play really lovely music.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Made a mix with unedited disco - it was extremely difficult and nowhere near technically perfect, but that's disco.

https://soundcloud.com/melee/melee-cuts-from-paradise-1

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Thanks guys! Yeah, if you're looking for disco house, that's pretty much all I do.

I'd love to DJ more disco but kinda made this mix as a feeler since it's definitely a niche - it'd be great to land a disco club night, but I don't think anyone actually does them anymore :(

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Dopo posted:

dude, there is tons of disco in SF right now. That being said the promoters and DJs are mostly OG. Would be tough to get booked especially not playing vinyl.

The majority of my vinyl is disco, but I'd really rather not deal with that overhead. It'd be fun, but that's a lot of work.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

88h88 posted:

Numark's TTX turntables are seriously good too, huuuuuuuuuuuuge amounts of torque.

I'd cop these for value/features ratio. They're pretty good (and I've used every single Vestax, Hanpin, Technics, everything)

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

vanilla slimfast posted:

How To DJ Right by Bill Brewster

essential reading for noobs and pros alike

Absolutely.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

keevo posted:

Does anyone here use the V-Moda Fader earplugs? Curious to see how it stacks up compared to the Etymotics.

ER4s? I don't think anything from V-Moda even comes close.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
DJ EZ is putting on a loving clinic right now:

http://www.djez.com/

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Can someone please talk me out of buying a PDX-2000 for $220 with an Ortofon?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, I don't really find that I use CDJ hotcues much when I'm playing out, anyway. Having to manually recall them (I've never used a current-gen 2000) can be a huge pain.

A friend told me that the 850s only support up to a 32GB USB drive. Can you confirm or deny this? I seem to remember reading something similar about my 2000s but I stick a 1TB HDD in 'em all the time and have no troubles. In any case I have a couple of USB sticks prepared, why the gently caress would I ever need more than like 6GB of tunes anyway? I just wish RB's transfer rate wasn't so slow with solid-state media, yeesh.

If it only reads FAT32-formatted drives, the max is 32GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

TheWevel posted:

I stopped djing last year and my dj room is turning into a nursery.

:( :) :(