Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

Spiridinov was a wrestling coach with expertise in ... Mongolian folk wrestling ("shuaijiao" in China)

Mongolian wrestling is distinct from Shuaijiao. Traditional shuaijiao allows strikes and doesn't involve techniques where your hand or knee touches the ground. In Mongolian wrestling, you can use the special jacket for a throw and there are no strikes.

Their jacket is simultaneously ridiculous and badass looking:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

You do not want this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce0m8Buc86o

The popping sounds were his knee.

I don't hear any, besides Silva's tapping on Imanari's leg?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Save Russian Jews posted:

Seeing him Starnes about for a long-rear end time changed my opinion.

Yeah, it was a tactical victory. But come on, he was working through the pain of a goddamn broken arm (popped elbow?).

quote:

Gracie admits he finds it much harder to finish from the mount in MMA
What makes it harder in MMA? The striking from the bottom seems to be such a small facet of the mount that I don't see what would change that much. Which choke is he applying? Is it a no-gi choke? Do gloves become an issue?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From that post, I didn't know if Roger was talking about mount in gi or no-gi. But I guess my question stands -- if you're attacking from the top in mount and not using strikes, how different is mount in MMA from mount in no-gi?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So this bit:

quote:

He worked obsessively on getting to mount, one of the hardest positions to achieve in sport jiu-jitsu. He finished his opponents in the 2007, 2008 and 2009 world finals with chokes from the mount.

“That, in my opinion, is what the fighters lacked,” he says of mount defense.
Is talking strictly about gi? I don't know what sport jiu-jitsu encompasses.
e: nor specifically which world final events those are.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

What the gently caress?? Did your insurance cover it or something? My mouthguard going to be $300 because insurance doesn't cover it. But boy howdy am I excited to get that thing.

Mine was $400 :(.
I've forgotten to wear it into the ring only to have my teeth clattered by a punch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Senor P. posted:

My bad, got confused by all the replies, I thought it was for grappling.

Since you own one, how comfortable is it?

The one I have is a singe material upper. I think maybe next time I'll use a dentist that isn't the one closest to my apartment out of convenience. The fitment is incredible, though. I don't think I'd want to go back to a boil-and-bite.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

how much is a custom piece from the dentist in the us? 400? gently caress.

I've heard some US folks say they've gotten ones done for as low as $100. In other words, gently caress Massachusetts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mardragon posted:

125 lbs - A weight that is pretty wide open, the guys at the top are pretty established, one of whom has a gimmick that is pretty hard to train against. I'd pretty confident you will see the #2 or #3 seed out of the bottom, who knows about the top of the bracket.

#1 Anthony Robles Arizona State, Sr. - So we'll start with the most interesting story, and one that will sweep over the country if he wins. Anthony Robles is a one-legged wrestler, and a two time All-American. He has the upper body of a 185 lbs wrestler

I've been dwelling on this -- is the 185 a loose guess? Is it a pre-cut weight? Or is it really the case that his missing leg sheds 60lbs of weight, roughly 1/3 the body weight?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Hate to be a hater but yes I have serious doubts Pablo is anywhere near natural. More jacked than a greek statue.

Today in class my coach slipped and referenced "Pavlovitch's dog" and I pictured this:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What was that knee raise for, a hip throw?

This is a highlight from the Russian wrestling nationals posted in the MA thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptaNak1B3_Q

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The sitdown and leg trip from overhook at 5:13 was my favorite.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

I think I have a problem.

I saw these on Facebook, and I immediately thought to myself "I wonder if I can get those my size to wear for grappling."

http://blackmilkclothing.com/collections/leggings/products/retro-gamer-leggings

I think it's a women's only line of leggings. But I was tempted by the musculature set myself.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Randomly stumbled on this match between Joao Miyao and Megaton. Hopefully it hasn't been addressed in the last X pages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZWYok0EKug&t=142s
Why does Miyao lick his fingers when he's attacking Megaton's hands?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do gis ever get miss-stitched? I wonder if that was a new gi that was bound to fail early, and Drysdale just happened to go up against Roger in it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Did the designer manually slope the letters in the names?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

wait wait wait

So the G in a gi is facing the G(arry) with no gi?

One day, all grapplers will work for free.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Over in the martial arts thread, I posted on Mongol Bokh and also starting to train in it. Would people here care to look at the video? I dunno if it makes sense to paste the posts here or just direct yall over there.
As I see it, the MA thread is very broad with less expertise in every kind of art, whereas here it's maybe strongly focused on BJJ and relatively similar grappling rulesets.

I guess I'm looking for general standup grappling advice, since it's not my background and I could have some blindspots, particularly with posture or grip strategy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ok, I'll split into two. Here's the background:
============
I recently got introduced to Mongolian Bokh. Gonna write up a little about it here and follow up later with a video of me trying it out.

Mongolian Bokh is a group of folk wrestling styles practiced by various Mongolian ethnic groups.
The particular ruleset likely goes back for a couple thousand years, but the culture around it and why Mongolians still practice it so much is because Genghis Khan decided that it was a good way for the army to keep fit, motivated, and skilled. The "Three Manly Skills" were archery, horse riding, and wrestling, with the latter broadly the most popular in modern Mongolian culture. If it not for Genghis putting his stamp of approval on it, Bokh might not have the same diehard following.

Ok, so what are the rules?
Like many folk styles, a match ends when someone lands on the ground. It doesn't matter if both people fall; the loser is who falls first.
One of the most fascinating things to me about Bokh is that there's no weight classes and no time limits. No weight classes! You could be matched up to any other competitor who shows up to the tournament, even if you're outweighed by 100lbs. If you're a light wrestler, not only do you have to deploy one set of tactics against people of your size and speed, but you have to have another game ready when you square off with a giant.

No time limits is an even more alien concept to me. How do you decide how you expend energy when there's no points, only total victory off the first successful throw? There's so many different ways to speed up or slow down the match, to try to feel out your opponent and try to pick the right time and right tactic to throw all your energy into.

You could compete indoors on a mat, but usually competitions happen outside, so you might have grass, you might have dirt, there might be some rocks, anything goes. It's at least usually warm in the summer, when tournaments are generally held.

The rationale from tradition is that if you're a soldier, you don't get a choice whom you fight against or where you fight. You have to win no matter the conditions even if they're unfavorable to you.

In Khalkh Bokh, the style of the Republic of Mongolia, a fall is when any part of your body above the knee touches the ground.
You're allowed to grab or touch the legs with your arms and hands.
In Inner Mongolian (the province of China) Bokh, you're not allowed to grab the legs, and a fall is any part of your body above the ankle touching the ground.

In Khalkh Bokh, you wear a tight fitting silk or wool bolero-type jacket (jodog), briefs, and shoes.

Here, blue jacket has a grip on the jodog belt and another grip on the wide collar.

In Inner Mongolian Bokh, you have a short sleeve jodog that's geometrically looser but much stiffer thanks to the leather construction.

The loose pants are afforded by the no hand attacks rule.
Often, the leather jackets are studded, which helps with impacts into hard dirt, as the studs drive into the soil and provide a little more give.

Naadams are competition events that encompass all 3 Skills, but frequently focus on wrestling. In the summer, there’s a naadam held somewhere almost every day, so you can easily get all the competition experience you can handle, even if it’s one loss at a time.
Competition field sizes are powers of 2 -- 32 up to 1024 for the national level stuff.
Large naadam tournaments aren't settled in one day, but can you imagine the uncertainty of no time limits, first score wins, facing 5, 6, 7, 8 people of whatever weight up to the final?
A tournament winner gets some prize money and maybe animals, but also for prestigious enough naadams, a jangga, the ribboned necklace you see in the previous picture.
Imagine showing up to the event and there's this many tournament winners, and you might draw one of them first round:

The general hardness of life on the steppes, the extreme reverence Mongolians keep for wrestling, and the specific competition format have produced a lot of Mongolian competitors in other wrestling sports.
As long as they're skilled enough, competing in sports that are more flush with money can be a good career move for talented Mongolian wrestlers.
There's Mongolian world champions in judo, freestyle, sambo, and sumo. For them, their indigenous art isn't something set to put on a pedestal (even if their society thinks very highly of Bokh specifically), but simply one of many proving grounds. They already have a ready to fight anyone mentality from Bokh which probably helps them adapt to other rulesets.
On the flip side, the viability of competing in a sport that levels the playing field for your weight means that a lot of skill developed by lighter wrestlers is departing Bokh, leaving behind absolute units who tend to have a more simplistic power based game:

On a side note, the practice of using wrestling as part of developing and maintaining an army's fitness was adopted by the Manchus and refined into Qing Dynasty imperial army training systems. Similar Manchu wrestling styles become the direct ancestors of Chinese shuaijiao, which is frequently billed (intentionally or not) as an indigenous style. While folk wrestling styles certainly exist and use some of the same cultural precepts about what is considered a fall, shuaijiao (and its influence on sanshou) has direct lineage back to Mongolian wrestling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

*for more on my background -- I trained sanshou for a long time, like twice a week from 2012 to 2016, then once a week for a couple more years. I now teach it.
In addition to punches ad kicks, sanshou allows any throw you can pull off with boxing gloves on within 3s of initiating a clinch, executed with only the feet touching the floor. And it doesn't reward / require maintaining control to the ground. In fact, its scoring encourages clean separation so that you stay standing no matter what.
I was never a throw-heavy kind of sanshou fighter, and when I did throw, it was usually off of kick catches. So while I have a modest amount of experience with takedown defense, my offensive game has little overlap with Bokh rules outside of falls being anything but feet touching the ground.

And here's some notes on my 2nd try with it:
================
Ok, some footage. I haven't done watched more than a couple times. I suspect at least to people who can't see the intricacies of weight shifting and relative positioning (which of coruse includes me), this might be like softball -- more fun to play than to watch. But nevertheless, it's footage I can at least provide some direct 1st person commentary on, unlike some of the highlights out there on Douyin.

So this is my 2nd time ever doing Bokh -- much improved on my first outing but not saying much.
Prior to this, I had done like a month of BJJ and a few months of judo. Not much of that translates over compared to my sanshou instincts*, which lead to me keeping a narrow stance and carrying my own weight in clinches. In my first session, I noticed how much I defaulted to no-gi gripping concepts, namely underhooks and two-on-ones. I was aiming to do more jodog-specific grips in this session, with inconsistent success.

To introduce who I'm wrestling with -- Vincent Tseng has a bit of a presence in the martial arts social media scene. He has a lot of traditional training methodology commentary as The Wandering Warrior. He went from a lot of shuaijiao training to getting more into Inner Mongolian Bokh. He was out in Inner Mongolia for a month this summer to really ramp up his game. Since he's Boston based like me, we eventually hung out in person, and I thought it would be cool to try Bokh out, as a complement to how I teach sanshou, which leans more to the striking side.
At my current flabby weight, I'm almost 50lbs more than him. His goal is to get up another 10lbs of muscle, which is an empirical threshold for finding success in Inner Mongolian competition. As the weight difference sits, I'm trying to be smooth and not herky jerky into or out of anything, to maximize what I'm able to sense of the exchanges

[the audio is really harsh from construction going on across the street]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadMhiu9_nY&t=10s
I'll call out all the moments of interest:
- in true Bokh fashion, we're doing it outside. Vincent is wearing Inner Mongolian style gutal boots, and I'm in some rubbery Feiyues. Grip was pretty good on the grass, imo
- throughout, I have a decent sense of where the camera is, and to a degree, I either move or allow myself to be moved to center the action a bit. I don't think it really put me at a disadvantage
- 2:05, Vincent pushes forward into a leg reap combo. I'm pretty alert and hop out of the way. Upon recovering, I just dumbly push my right hand against his sleeve instead of trying to get any sort of grip.
- 2:40, you see him subtly reeling me up and in for a trip, but again I'm too wary for it. I manage to reestablish grip on his belt and do a half-hearted outside sweep attempt (this is probably the sanshou throw I'm most experienced with that doesn't involve arm on leg contact; it's of course common to many arts), just completely bouncing off his well-rooted leg
- 3:22, after going through a few grip configurations, he gets two grips to my one, and yanks me forward and then leans down on my shoulder. I'm able to stay upright, but having to squat to resist the pressure. So I'm very up and down posturally, though obviously keen that I'm getting set up. As I make space at 3:30, he pulls me back in and goes for an inside reap. I fight that off, try to heist him up with a bodylock, but fail and am standing straight up, so fall victim to the sustained pressure of the repeat reap
- 4:15, you can see the lightness of my footwork that comes from striking. I'm not sitting down on my heels much.
- 4:23, after getting pulled in again off of a horse's mouth grip on my right sleeve, I'm trying to get his hips close to mine. Starting again from not trying to grip anything and just putting my hands anywhere, I go for the belt but have no feel for how to get under it, so switch to an easily broken gable grip, give up, eventually settle back to no-gi grips.
- 4:46, Vincent goes for a deep far side leg trip, I try to throw his upper body away, he keeps backing up and I touch my knee to the ground
- 6:14, good example of the slow buildup pace that Bokh can have. Vincent keeps steadily advancing, switches to an overhook and keeps my torso bent off to one side. The moment I try to reach across with my left leg to his rear foot, he's ready to stride across, block my knee, and pull me over. Tai otoshi in Judo? This throw goes slowly, but I'm in for the ride the whole time thanks to how rigidly I'm held by my jodog.
- 8:28, Vincent starts an offensive sequence of leg trips. I manage to get out of the last one, but it's precarious. Again, when you're locked up on each others jodog's, the 2-body structure you achieve can balance on a very fine line between standing and falling. So even if things are moving slowly, it pays to fully invest in trying to keep budging and trying to get that topple.
- 8:40, another fun leg attack sequence. I offer one counter in the middle, no good, and then get squashed down at my shoulder again. Try a sweep at 8:57 but am completely read and and countered
- 9:39, I forget the rules and pop under his arm to go for a knee tap. Whoopsie
- 10:52, I think I'm gonna try something by putting my foot behind his lead, maybe wrench him up and back. I'm overall too complacent with being in this 90deg foot stance, and Vincent sends me over his leg with what's called a wai in shuaijiao. And again, how slow it is doesn't show how sure a thing the throw is. At every step of the way, I'm just behind enough that I can't recover out of the situation.
- 13:45, I'm definitely flagging in energy at this point, and I think Vincent can sense it. Once we break grips on one side, he fakes reengaging on that side and switches to a 2-on-1, finishes with a shuaijiao jidao ("squash down"). If I were fresh I would have tried harder to hop around the blocking knee, but I'm just giving in at this point
- 14:58, Vincent starts a creeping advance into a throw that only materializes 30s later, once he's got all the marbles on his side, then he commits

Some other notes:
- the jodog is supposed to be worn down under the shoulders, with the collar running across your shoulder blades, and the sleeves down at the crease of your elbows. Given how stiff the leather is, these are custom sized to your proportions
- to really secure a grip, you're supposed to curl your fingers back up once you have gotten inside the sleeve. Obviously how feasible this is depends on how tight the sleeve is to the arm, how big your hand is, and how stiff the leather is. I would say it was pretty easy for Vincent to do to my training jodog with only canvas for the central span of material, but I was struggling with his stiffer jacket and my fingers not being used to it
- if striking sports are described as games of millimeters, I'd call Bokh a game of seconds. Either you're literally passing time out there, doing true active resting by backing off / disengaging and just breathing, or you're putting everything you got into a single moment of full attack. In some footage I've seen, you see a pair of wrestlers going at it, and the nearby wrestlers do a gentleman's agreement to split apart to watch the action, in part because they could get bowled over if they don't get out of the way
======================

I've done 4 sessions with Vincent so far, and have improved a bit in terms of using my head/shoulders as a resting point for my weight, instead of carrying all of it in my legs. And clinging to a not-ideal grip for dear life instead of thrashing for a better grip and not getting anything at all.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 9, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

his feet aren't parallel to each other, this allows him the ability to step easily back forth and to the side.

splits your stance.

your feet are parallel and he is in a split stance under you,
Just to confirm -- split stance is where your feet are lined up front to back, and feet parallel means they're side to side?
I'm getting hung up on feet angle vs feet placement relative to right under my center of mass.

In striking, I'd call these stance too long and too narrow vs too square.

quote:

For this to have a better chance of success, look up my favorite sumo throw Yaguranage, seen below

edit: stupid nhk doesn't like embeds.

edit2: I just noticed that in Judo this is actually kind of annoying to pull off because belts can sometimes be finnicky, but this should work beautifully in your sport because the Jacket you're wearing appears really sturdy in so far as it'll give you a great hand hold to lift from.
Belts can come loose, same as with gis, so it's not as reliable as the sleeves or collar, but I have seen that throw a lot in Bokh highlights, with the throwee balanced up on the throwing leg, balanced, waiting to see if they can land on their feet. Spent some time looking an example (and forgot to post this reply) but couldn't find one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

in the second photo tori is standing on either side of the leg they're attacking. It does lead to some differences in how you'd actually do it, but I guess those wouldn't stop it from still being ko uchi.

One thing I've found striking about judo is that even with how strongly delineated the throws are, there's still very meaningful mechanical variation that isn't addressed, like here between sweep to the outside vs hook back.

CommonShore posted:

Wrestlers would call it an inside trip.

Is there a naming difference between which leg? I feel like I've seen that applied to either leg on the inside.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

bonus: You try a body lock take down at 3:36, it fails because if you look at your feet, your feet are parallel and he is in a split stance under you, this makes it hard for you to just yeet someone, and as you said this causes you to straighten your back and get hit with an ouchi-gari. For this to have a better chance of success, look up my favorite sumo throw Yaguranage, seen below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmn7AU-NS1o

Recent post shows a big Mongol doing a variety of throws. That 4th video is Watchtower, right?
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0B9fIaJSQC/?img_index=4

e: that first throw is so nasty. Separate the left grip and simultaneously make credible threats to the right arm and right leg, causing the opponent to stumble into a retreat, offbalancing himself, and then rip that remaining grip across and down into the ground.

His sensitivity and adjustment on defense is really nice.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 28, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

wrestling on spices

Just climb into this tub of boiling hot water and chill out for 3-4 hours.

Vashro posted:

Mongolian wrestling looks fun, but what about Turkish oil wrestling?

I looked into central Asian wrestling a bit to survey what kinds of jacket / belt formats are out there, and Turkey has a variety of recognized wrestling formats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_in_Turkey
but the other main national style is "like oil wrestling, but none of that oil, no sir"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I had another Bokh session, and among several things to work on, I realize I'm not great at pairing my arm movements for grip breaks and unbalancing. That is, if I'm trying to rip one hand back, I frequently benefit from pushing the other hand forward to accelerate/exaggerate the effect. Now it makes sense why those pummeling drills are so fundamental.

Coming from striking, it's certainly less intimidating to have so many things in front of me that I have to improve on. Just knowing I did it in one sport helps me understand the pace I'm working at to get better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Count Roland posted:

I partly agree. I'd use just "Jujitsu" and leave the Brazilian part out.
Not that they really know what Jujitsu is either but at least they've heard that term.
Would you spell it the original way, jujutsu, or the Brazilian way, jiujitsu?

Would end up being a history lesson you have to give to new students at some point.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's called shou bie (hand block) in shuaijiao, and I assume that was developed independently of judo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFJ-_b0OWI
The intro to the video makes by now the well established point that shuaijao came from Mongolian bokh, but doesn't show an actual Qing era bie throw in painting. Modern Mongolian bokh does have the technique.

There's a variant where you penetrate with a step inside their stance (first demo in the vid).
That variant comes from a tai otoshi like throw where your hands just keep jacket grips instead of one dropping for the knee tap.

The bie variant is obviously more suited to nogi and even works with boxing gloves on for sanshou.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kuchiki seems to emphasize pulling the knee into you for the reap, not being particular about which side you grab, and even pushing their torso away.
shou bie specifically blocks the outside as you maintain your pulling/twisting over that blocked knee. It definitely wouldn't work if they successfully lean their weight back against your pull or base out with the attacked leg, where as that seesm ideal for kuchiki.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Unfortunately I'm taking it to get altered because I realized that I shouldn't really rely on something that hilarious in rolling

Will most tailors be able to handle the material, or have you locked into a specialist?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

I don't really want him in those sports due to myriad issues (concussions, weight cutting) but have been looking into judo for him.

Out of curiosity, are there any stats for incidence rates of concussions for adult practitioners of various grappling sports? Normalized by hour or something.
My initial gut reaction was that judo would have a higher rate than either folk style wrestling or BJJ, but I think that only comes from anecdotes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hunh — those must all be the same dataset. Plus/minus a couple outliers. Thanks for the abstracts!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Green Toad posted:

I didn't check but its entirely possible they are, but also entirely possible they aren't.

The counts and proportion of women are so insanely close.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There’s a general martial arts thread with a very broad but pretty thin experience across a lot of different arts. I’m one of the more active striking with gloves on posters, and even there it’s kickboxing and not boxing gloves.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=

At least one of the posters in the boxing sport thread is very experienced in it as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Got in some more Mongolian bokh last week. Vincent was out in Inner Mongolia for a month training at a pro gym, and his game and sensibilities have definitely shifted a bit, even to my untrained sense.
We did an hour's worth of warmup and grip setting and breaking drills, then spent 30min taking turns going on offense. The last 20min or so were freeform wrestling.

Some gif highlights --

not paying any attention to the threat and getting leg tripped

While Vincent was the most turned to me after his probing attack, and while I had a belt grip on him, I figured I'd try to heist him up and bring him back over my thigh. Had nowhere near the lift I needed

My jodog kept riding up over my spare tire, while you want it tight enough so that it mostly stays at your waist. You can even strategically use your belly to occlude a straight shot at your belt. I just need to twist the cinching leather strap around itself more to keep it tight. Or maybe wear a shirt to add more friction, though that's less formal.
Having your jodog high and looser means they can more easily reach over your shoulder to secure that grip behind your upper arm. There's a specific way you fold the jodog in storage to keep that flap tucked tighter to your body.

Getting stumbled around but making one focused effort to counter offbalance

After getting my head caught under his chest, I slowly push back and try to stand up, putting pressure on him and catching a belt grip. When he does release, I try to follow that into a outside leg trip

I didn't commit as much as I could have. It comes from my sanshou background, where you try to stay on your feet for every throw. And thus I'm not used to committing everything into one attack, which is what you want to do in bokh, since that will win you the match (or get you devastatingly countered).

Overall, I loved the session. I stopped worrying about specific grip positions but fell on thinking about whether I was in a bad position or a livable one. And if it wasn't bad, to not randomly try to switch to better grips. Earlier on, I was able to stay a lot heavier on my hips and push my weight forward more effectively. But by the time we got video, I was pretty shot and could tell I was just standing up and being an easier mark to push/sling around.
I got more comfortable with hand fighting spatial awareness and timing, though I still held back a bit on attacking for grips, out of fear of flat out gouging into Vincent's arms with my fingernails.

The full video if no one has anything better to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95zZwv3OngY

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I've never seen a gym where the actual fighters go in and just beat up on each other, the actual fighters can't afford to take a random rear end injury from banging hard.

The low-mid tier pro (a couple Bellator wins) from my gym absolutely went hard in sparring. Got KOed a couple times in sparring, I think once in training camp. Definitely a few stitches. I outweighed him by 40lbs but did not like doing rounds with him cuz he never let up intensity wise.

I think it's absolutely the case that the aura of machismo around combat sports hinders modern sports science development in martial arts. Likely more so with striking rulesets than grappling only.
Compared to other sports where fundamentals drilling, scouting, film study are routine at the elite level, fight sports seem to tolerate or even foster a culture of seeing who improves and mildly adjusting their style.

There's always been a minority of people who spar at less intensity with good payoff, but I don't see it as the norm. And yeah, it should be.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think I saw a Shintaro video saying the whizzer/overhook is better for judo than an underhook.

Iirc he said it gives you enough clearance to line up your shoulder and head and drive into the empty space to emphasize your attack.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cru Jones posted:

Once I had my kid and wasn't hitting judo classes regularly anymore, the first thing I would do when I went back for a randori night was grab someone I trust have them hit me with some big throws just to get rid of the butterflies.

Break falling is the same way, a huge component is just being able to relax so you can override your normal reflexes and execute the technique.

I’ve had trouble with doing big throws slowly. When done at normal speed, my reaction time is such that I’m tucking and tensing just before impact and slapping out on cue. Doesn’t necessarily fully defray a hard throw, but best case.

If the throw goes at 70% speed, I find that I can’t intentionally slow down the timing of my breakfall and usually end up early, losing full tuck/tension ahead of impact.

When you go right into the big throws, do you do them full speed and expect your ideal reflexes to kick in? Relaxing seems a little risky to me, at least how stuff that’s high amplitude.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Has anyone been watching the new season of Physical 100? Dong-hyun Kim is the celebrity contestant, and like many of the grapplers/fighters, he had a very sport-oriented approach to the challenge/game where you want to end up in control of the medicine ball after 3min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_q4M3AUOLE
The usual path to victory in closer matches is someone successfully defending by hugging the ball belly down and preventing their arms from being pryed open. Frequently, attackers try in vain to isolate one arm and pop the ball out.
In the highlights, one Greco Olympian did a really dynamic turtle game instead of just sprawling out.

Seeing people take a submission grappling approach frustrates me quite a bit, as they spend a lot of time getting control of their opponent's body or base, which frequently doesn't do anything to dislodge the ball or burn their arms.
Tell me if I'm off base, but they should try to incorporate their legs more in attacks on the arm, instead of focusing as much on having a sound base. Sure the defender could pop up and escape to stall, but stalling under a back mount chews up just as much time.
Wedging one leg between an arm and the ball and then transition into a crucifix, giving them better leverage on both of opponent's arms. Or maybe arm triangling both the defender's legs and pushing on the arm at the elbow with your foot (they get to wear shoes, which should help with grip and stabilizing the foot when stomping/pushing on the arm).

I have no idea how much warning contestants have about the show, but gambling on this particular challenge happening again (since it makes for good TV) and practicing it even a little bit to prepare seems reasonable. I'm just a little surprised there doesn't seem to have been any meta development from season 1 to 2.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I think You're working under the assumption the ball isn't actually a huge advantage to turtle with. Without a gi to attack, the ball takes up space that would normally be available to attack through. Usually in turtle if you defend your arms your neck exposes and if you attack the neck, the arm exposes, but with the ball in the way there's not that much exposure. I believe that if you wanted a good attack on something like this you'd have to try to deadlift and flip your opponent or flatten them and try to roll them.

Oh, it's definitely an advantage -- it's for sure harder to work on the arms with all the empty space taken up by the ball. It seems pretty soft, so you can really sink your arms into it, too, no matter what position you're in. At least that seems to be the case from the matches they show. Sliding anything under their upper arm is near impossible, but that seems to be the most sure way to keep their arms apart. Hand/wrist control haven't seemed to be that effective -- people can eventually wriggle that limb out and get back to hugging before the attacker can pull/poke the ball loose from the other arm.

I haven't seen anyone gable gripping or butterfly gripping to enhance their hold on the ball because maybe they don't even need it to have such a leverage advantage over the attacker.

What's unclear to me is what you can do to your opponent. Certainly not any locked in subs. I haven't seen any serious crossfaces or mild neck crank attempts. One person tried deadlifting and slamming the defender onto their arms to see if the discomfort would get them to give up the grip, but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

Could be worse, your friend could be one of the guys who had to compete with mighty mouse

One of my old sparring partners took third in MM's division. He was the victim in that recent highlight of Might Mouse ragdolling and stunting on someone.