Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Here is a link to the Submission Series Pro event that a lot of you folks might have missed: http://www.submissionseriespro.ca. Was a great event with three of my teammates picking up submissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Just did BJJ for the first time since January!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

My copy of the book Opening Closed Guard arrived today! Reading it now and I would highly recommend it to anyone in this thread with even a passing interest in history.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Not sure I like the American Jiu Jitsu thing. Just calling it Jiu Jitsu is fine in Brazil but adding Brazilian to the start seems benifitial in that it distinguishes it from generic strip mall "Jiu Jitsu".

Also as was mentioned all of the people using the term American Jiu Jitsu seem to be jerks.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I miss grappling :/

Me too! I was doing it but now I’m not...

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Seems like a dick move to me to be honest.

I think belts are taken to mean way too much / too many different things to different people. Not sure what system would end up working better though.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

That doesnt sound like an endorsement or not of the belt system. I agree that the belts mean different things to different people and you have to take things like age into account, but I think there are some basics that are taught amongst most gyms to white belts (basic pin positions, Americana, etc), that if you dont know, or cant execute, then you might not be ready for promotion. For all I know, these blue belts might have also been in a school with attendance based promotions, which is I believe is bullshit.

Oh I agreed attendance based is a bad idea.

But the thing is no one just showing up to train deserves to be humiliated like that. I'd bet money there are white belts that could tap me (here is the part that I admit to being a crappy blue belt) out there at any high level gym. And please don't take this as an insult but I'd be skeptical if you were to claim that there is no one at out there who is ranked lower but could tap you.

Having to fight someone to keep your rank just does not sit well with me. Like you said there are more factors to consider.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

Perhaps the culture they're trying to build doesn't see temporarily losing your 10$ piece of dyed cotton as humiliating.

That seems very unlikely to be what happened.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

HamsterPolice posted:

Getting back into BJJ tonight, first time since COVID. I'm actually really nervous lol

Have fun!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I'd go for a South American Ground Karate one!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

heeebrew posted:

I'm starting to teach a TON now. Like four days a week! Having a lot of fun. And been having regular privates 2x a week for a short while now. I'm super hyped.

That rules!

Recently I've been helping with one kids class a week and it has been a cool experience!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Got my purple belt tonight! Here's hoping I don't spend seven years on this belt like I did with blue!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks everyone!

Training has really kept me sane the last little while so I'm hoping I'll be able to continue to do so.

Also I'm glad you are able to train again Marching Powder!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Idk if the main point of grappling is to defend from an attack. For me the main point of grappling is grappling. It's its own reward.

And consider how bad day 1 white belts are - do you really think you need extra training to double leg and chone a rando?

I think your point about grappling being it’s own reward is very true. Though I kinda agree about the main purpose of jiu jitsu being self defence. I guess the main purpose of jiu jitsu is different things to different people though. Personally I train because it’s fun and enjoy training both self defence and competition specific techniques.

To me Jiu jitsu as a whole could stand to be more honest about what self defence is and what an individual school might actually offer. Like to me someone who trains the Gracie Jiu Jitsu fundamentals is learning stuff that is good self defence but someone who is training purely for competition is also learning a lot of self defence applicable stuff. Maybe in a less direct way but now I’m not entirely sure what my thoughts are and I might have to write them down at some point to have them make sense.

In conclusion, jiu jitsu / grappling is fun and good.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Would it be a bit too personal to ask where everyone trains? Or maybe the Lineage you train under? Just curious, and I dont remember seeing this before.

The only person I know is Heebrew :P

I'm in eastern Canada myself. Lineage wise my school goes through Rickson Gracie.

Also my mother's maiden name is... :cheeky:

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I'm doing a trial BJJ lesson this evening. The gym does BJJ - Gi and no-Gi, along with a Judo session once a week. No striking. I'm doing it primarily as a fun way to get fitter, but a secondary benefit of improved self-defence is also appealing and that's what I'd like some input on please. I realise that for self-defence BJJ has application, but is ideally supplemented with striking. Also from what I've read, the extent to which the BJJ gym practices stand-up grappling and takedowns seems to have a bearing on its usefulness outside of a sporting context.

So far, apart from actually trying it out, I plan to try and observe and maybe ask whether they do much in the way of stand-up grappling and training in take-downs, and ask whether they see their focus as more on the sporting side of the self-defence side. I don't need to become a fighting monster, and I realise that if you're training in a martial art then to improve its defensive capability you really need to spar; this puts me off striking arts a bit, as I am 42 with 2 kids and have little desire to take lots of blows to the head. I'm happier with the notion of sparring in BJJ. Though I have found myself looking up Muay Thai gyms near me out of curiosity. There are a couple and there is an MMA gym pretty close by.

Is there anything else I should be thinking of asking, or looking for, in terms of the applicability of what this gym teaches for self-defence? Anything more general? Am I right to ask about sporting vs self-defence focus? I am leaving in about 90 minutes so any suggestions for questions for them would be great to hear before then, but general input for me to consider doesn't have that time limit of course, and any advice is welcome!

One question to ask might be if they ever train Jiu Jitsu with slaps. Not full force strikes to the head but enough force to be aware of what could happen.

My thinking is that it will be generally fairly obvious what techniques and approaches are applicable for self defence.

Honestly if you are looking to combine styles down the line and (quite reasonably) don't want to be hit in the head a bunch you might get a lot out of training Jiu Jitsu plus do any grappling classes at the MMA gym that you mentioned.

More importantly I hope you have a great time at the class!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I went to a seminar with Jake MacKenzie today. It was a lot of fun and he showed stuff that was very different from what I usually do. So that was cool to see and get inspired by.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Quintet is by far the most entertaining grappling format for spectators yeah. With EBI I find myself struggling to stay focused on it for the full card.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

EBI is extremely good when the participants are going for the sub hard and the tiebreakers are just a backstop. It's extremely boring when the competitors are planning for the tiebreaker rounds.

True!

After all, every ruleset has its weaknesses (except Quintet!)

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm gonna wait till, uh, I dunno. August. I'm not in the US. We're actually doing better where I live than in the US. But I'm an obese asthmatic so I really do not want to catch covid. I've been on March 2020 level of lockdown... since March 2020. I've been inside of an automobile maybe 10 times since then. I guess in the meantime I can try to tackle the "obese" part of that.

I just miss grappling. I hope I get to do it again. Sorry for complaining itt.

Yeah things are tough these days. Stay safe friend.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

heeebrew posted:

I'll be at ADCC in vegas! Let's rage.

Sweet! Hope you have a good time.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Head Bee Guy posted:

did my first bjj class last night. loving ruled. it was a nogii, but i want to give the gii a shot, what are some decent brands?

If you are in Canada BC Kimonos is good.

Also congrats on doing your first class!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

why would I even want to have him on my screen

Agreed, I prefer to just torrent the Danaher ones.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Lachlan Giles website. Looking forward to getting an invite and checking it out.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Congrats! That's a big accomplishment.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

It's possible the technique they were going for was done incorrectly.

But it is very much sour grapes as well.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Congrats on the new belt!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

stramit posted:

I got a stripe on my white belt lol

Nice! Keep up the good work.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Think I'm competing for the first time in nearly ten years two weeks from now. This time at purple belt!

I don't think there is anyone in my weight class registered yet but there are two guys in the next weight class up which is 221+ lbs.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Just got home from my first competition in about ten years. I didn't win anything but I accomplished my goals of not getting injured, learning what I need to work on, and having a good time.

I'm looking forward to the next opportunity to compete!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah the Opening Closed Guard book rules. I gave it to one of my instructors to read and he enjoyed it as well.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Congrats!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

That's awesome!

Glad it was good experience.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

This talk of unusual positions with strong defensive properties is making me think of Priit Mihkelson's work.

Has anyone else checked out his stuff?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Havent posted for a while but something cool happened yesterday...

Congrats!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I listened to podcasts interviewing BJJ coaches with a similar reverse classroom setup. It all sounds pretty cool.

One coach I've been interested in recently is Greg Souders. His stuff seems revolutionary but I don't know how to start implementing it for myself.

https://youtu.be/V4QtQTRwwD0

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

butros posted:

I’ve got a wife and I also sleep in a cool race car bed :whatup:

Well I married a cool race car!

(Hope everyone is having a great holiday and is looking forward to what 2023 brings)

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Unfortunately that kind of stuff is not exclusive to gyms run by Brazilians.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Pre-orders for Robert Drysdale's new book on the history of BJJ are up. In the email I got he said that the film is now four episodes and will hopefully come out in Summer of this year.

https://www.closedguardfilm.com/product/pre-order-the-rise-and-evolution-of-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-by-robert-drysdale/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Is that movie ever coming out?

From the email I got today:

"I am happy to announce that the film is back in production. This time with a whole new editing crew who is excited and committed to finishing the film by Summer 2023. The film in reality will consist of four episodes in a docuseries format. We don’t have a platform to release the film yet, but we are currently working on it. We will have updates soon."