Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I had my first jiu jitsu class this week, and was worried that I wouldnt enjoy it when the reality of what grappling and getting grappled felt like. Thankfully I thought it wad super cool! But man gis are frickin expensive!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There is an actual gi shop in my city so I went to try on and buy and bought a like $150 Fuji 😭. Will def order online when I need more now that I know my size tho

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I rolled with someone with a stinky gi and then after that I and my gi were stinky :(

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You should be able to rip out your opponent's spine like sub zero

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My last training sesh I tried to really focus on not being one of the dangerous white belts and just relaxing and moving with intention and focusing on just learning, and it was really fun! Then a teenage white belt who is on his high school's wrestling team pwned me super hard and we had a 15 min talk abt the history of grappling and bjj.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
After my first like month of training I got sick, but now I am finally better again and able to resume..

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I heard people think BJJ belts are outdated, I simply think we should replace the belt system with getting bladed weapons culminating in replacing black belt with a katana and wakizashi

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Doing bjj and knee subluxation that I hadnt had so long I had forgotten about it (decade+) happened. It wasnt even from a throw or submission, I literally just stood up in a way to apply a bunch of shearing force to my knee. it doesnt hurt at all but I guess I will baby it and go super light for a few weeks 😔

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think my knees are hypermobile or something cause someone put me in a halfguard lockdown ajd I got a hammy pop cause my lower leg went forward super far. Oh well a week off aint gonna kill anybody

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

duckdealer posted:

Craig is good. Not a big Keenan guy though personally.

How is everyone's training going lately?

Working in a school has gotten me sick again so it's.coming up on like 3 weeks off... I've only seriously trained for like 2 months cause I keep getting sick 😭

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In a the true bjj roda they used to roll holding razorblades in their feet...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I might get a chance to rebrand my gym soon. What are your favourite and least favourite BJJ gym names?

*Your Name*-do Extreme Grappling

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The DuckDealer Death Squad and our competitors are, I would like to stress, legally distinct

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How do you guys balance this and lifting? DOMS is making me gunshy about getting back on the mats

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Alright tight, I had already watched Dr. Mike's vid so I think I have a good base. I guess I'll just take it easy with the lifting especially cause I'm in a deficit, so the only reason I suck on the mats will be because I suck and not because I suck and am also not recovering

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This is the year I decided to get really into my favorite part of MMA, grappling, and even decided to start practicing bjj so I just wanna say thank you to Mekchu for declaring 2023 the Year of the Natty King: Nicky Rod.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In the tournament footage he's limping almost immediately after

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Did choi bar stuff today and it's super cool! Also a shaving cut on my head opened up and I got a bunch of blood on my white gi :(

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Count Roland posted:

White gis are for formal occasions only

What's a formal occasiom in bjj, when your instructor trusts you enough to roll the blunt...?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Count Roland posted:

Promotions, team day, photo day etc

I see...

Thought I'd be one of the cool takedown guys when I started bjj, but rolled with a guy who's like a judoka and got so scared I pulled guard. then it clicked, pulling guard is mega ftw

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBYmZsUjSFE

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Took a few days off cause drilling de la riva hurts my knee and then had to take like, the week off and maybe more cause I think I got non-grappling related staph on my thigh 🥲

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I definitely am... hell I do the same cheating to get into lotus position. Maybe I should look into yoga specific for bjj to improve my flexibility cause yoga guy itt gave me that thought..

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Ohtori Akio posted:

A couple weeks ago I did a trial class at a BJJ gym. Got told that white belts don't get to roll with each other except under supervision or if they know each other well already. During rounds, ended up with one white belt, who got a quick lecture before rolling with me, and had several color belts staring at us as we rolled.

I did leave that round with a good size bruise but that felt like a great approach, if you've got the color belts to support it. I was learning much much more rolling with the color belts anyways.

Think I'm gonna start with that gym on my free days, in a couple weeks.

BJJ ftw!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Defenestrategy posted:

I dislike this jesse dude, he always posts such click baity poo poo. This is the weirdo that entered a low turn out, low stakes, local jits comp and humble bragged about how he won a white belt division without training bjj iirc. This video is similar, I've never seen a gym where the actual fighters go in and just beat up on each other, the actual fighters can't afford to take a random rear end injury from banging hard.

tbf, the first part of that vid was him getting owned in BJJ by a color belt who engaged more aggressively. So it was entirely clickbait, but still sorta honest lmao

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Knee not tweaked, no more weird boils that google says are staph... Time to get white belt wasted on Saturday 🥴

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Defenestrategy posted:

Yo homie you do you, but if I had weird skin boils or lesions I'd have gone to urgent care.

I did once and they just told me "Yeah youre gonna be prone to them. You can get antibiotics if you want but theyll just go away on their own"

I just didnt know if they were like, irresponsible to roll with before I googled this time cause I picked up jiu jitsu in the last year

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Hmm maybe it's just some weird follicle thing then... too much stuff on the skin 😔

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I have to wear a knee brace when doing activity for a few months and am worried people on the mats will bully me for it :(

I assume I should get a like, sleeve/brace without buckles?

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 20, 2024

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Defenestrategy posted:

They dont provide left right stabilty but the knee pad is good, they provide compression, and they do not slide at all. I've had mine for three months now, would buy again if only because I can hit drop seoi's and shots without pain.

I need left right stability cause I guess I have a hypermobile kneecap :( Guess I'll see how rolling with the knee brace the doc gave me feels. (they said it was okay to train)

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

heeebrew posted:

It's hilarious to worry about getting kids sick when I have gotten sick from teaching kids class almost twice a month for the past year.

I feel this.. I work as a school custodian and if I'm not skipping training because I have some sorta insane illness from working near kids I skip training cause I pull something insanely hard from having to roll and then go to my job where I walk 6 miles and lift poo poo for 8 hours a day 😅.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Could be worse, your friend could be one of the guys who had to compete with mighty mouse

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im sorry I mean no disrespect...what the hell am I looking at here? /actualignorance

I think it's a mongolian wrestling jacket

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Tried no gi for the first time yesterday, and drat dose boys slippery!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I as a white belt, explained something to another white belt today 😔

It was the control mechanics of kesa and how to get out of it by bridging to rip the overhook cause I kept just pinning him down during positionals. He immediately used it to start guard recovery better like, as soon as I told him

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Wrestlers should be required to have a patch on their gi or wear an armband in no gi or something. Yesterday I was doing open mat with another white belt and expecting an easy round and instead we just rolled hard for 2 rounds straight no breaks.

Was cool tho cause I was able to keep up, which is nice validation that I'm actually improving lol

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Congrats!!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

This security guy went for sasae and osoto with 0 kozushi...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Ive gotten comfortable at my gym which means I talk about G-In-A-Gi and the yamma pit grappling from karate combat at randos who just wanna work out and comp team hardos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
BJJ doesnt work on da streets