Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Yuns posted:

I've been working on a similar style BJJ video for a while but I doubt I'll have anything ready to show for many many months yet.

Awesome! Make sure you share it when you have something cool to show! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
There's a ton of weird events that no-one cares about, though. I imagine there's not a huge international following for Wushu, for instance.

Anyway, I really hope it doesn't ever get picked up. If I correctly understand the evolution of Judo rules after it became an olympic sport, it wouldn't do SW any favors.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My theory, which might be entirely wrong, is that real boxing isn't affected by the Olympics sport because real boxing has about a hundred times the profit margin of the Olympic version, and changing anything outside of the Olympics to satisfy the IOC or anyone else simply won't ever happen.
Meanwhile, there's no real money in Judo or Submission wrestling, and being in the Olympics would pretty much be the biggest thing they have going for them, so the chances of rules being changed to satisfy an audience at the olympics would be much greater.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Smegmatron posted:

"Don't lay flat on your back while you're mounted" just made me go :aaaaa: and I'm still trying to work out why I hadn't thought of this before.

I'm surprised your instructor hasn't told you this when introducing you to the mounted position in the first place!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yeah, I suppose that's true!

I've never owned JJU myself, although I'm sure it would have been very useful when I was starting out. Instead, my first jits book was JIU JITSU UNLEASHED, by Sir Eddie Bravo, quickly followed by the incredibly beginner friendly "Mastering the rubber guard".

Don't be like me!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Crossposting from the a/t martial arts thread. Competition today, went three matches and (kind of) got three submissions, not really very happy with any of them. :words: and videos in the link.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544&pagenumber=197#post406750743

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I didn't have the opportunity to see this live. Is there some alternative way to view it? Will they be selling a dvd/digital download or something?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Can't wait for the Rener Gracie squat and push tutorial

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Looks like it's the split, but that's one hell of a position to be stuck in!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I've been a ref based on these qualifications:
Knowing the people who hosted the competition

So,

fatherdog posted:

Alternate answer:

Nope.

Yeah

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
All these years, and that has never occured to me

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I think "sweep" could be understood as simply improving your position- if you're trying to improve your position, and still taking elbows and punches, you've probably done about as much as you can do.

If you're taking elbows and punches while desperately trying to submit a guy from a position where it makes no sense to submit them, you're dumb*.

* just like that relson quote

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
loving disgraceful. I hope they get hit with the harshest sentence available. Googling their names, you can find their facebook profiles blowing up with people calling for them being shanked, and competition videos too; looks like they were pretty good. But god drat, not only rape, but raping a teammate? Beyond disgusting.

Interesting that they should both come out of Lloyd Irvin, though, who has a pretty sketchy history himself.

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-04-21/news/9004210056_1_irvin-two-men-young-woman

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

CivilDisobedience posted:

Who tried to lecture? Look again at this post that you found so offensive

"CivilDisobedience posted:

Also I don't know if there's any honor in a format like this but personally I cringe every time someone goes for a toehold. That poo poo's just weak IMO

This is getting pretty embarrassing, and you should probably stop. v:shobon:v

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 27, 2013

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Awesome toehold write-up, Yuns! It's one of my go-to techniques, and it's allowed me to tap out people I have no business tapping out. Kind of a weird technique to love, but I think it might be my favorite.

Part of it could be the reluctance many people have for training leg locks until they reach a certain level, which means a lot of people have no idea how to defend it (and thus, ironically, perhaps increasing the chances of being injured by one).

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
What the gently caress is happening in that camp?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yikes. Is the Gracie Barra gi the one people are forced to buy for training at a GB school? If that chart reflects the quality of the gi, and not the way people feel about having it forced down their throat, that's hilariously sad.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I dunno if MMA has been Marcelo's primary focus, outside of a fairly short period of time, but I had the opportunity to ask Marcelo why he stopped doing MMA, and as I recall, it was a mixture of fights never materializing after first being brought to him, so he'd end up preparing for stuff that never happened, and not enjoying the MMA-specific training when he'd much rather just do jiu jitsu.

Between tournaments, mginaction and his NYC academy, I'm pretty sure he's making good money just doing BJJ.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 17, 2013

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Nah, they will probably just be happy to have another warm body to roll with. Your money is as good as the money from the guy who shows up every day of the week- probably better, since you lead to less wear and tear on the mats.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
That's pretty lovely behaviour. It's not as if you need help feeling any worse after getting your rear end handed to you in competition. I've not seen anyone act like that since I played childrens soccer, where sportsdads occasionally lost their poo poo when the little duder they were vicariously living the sports dream through, failed to live up to their retarded expectations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
When I started out training, there was a guy who would scream out and smack the mat after every almost roll, no matter the outcome of the match.

He doesn't train anymore, but everything he writes on facebook is in caps lock.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I don't wear a cup in either gi or nogi, but I still use a jockstrap and compression shorts so I'm not just freeballing with a pajamas.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

TwistedNails posted:

Take zinc every night.

Alongside this I also drink fish oil for the omega 3. I like to think it makes my joints ache less after training and or/being alive.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I received a promotion to purple belt in Brazilian hug fighting today. :woop:

Congratulations!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

DAS Super! posted:

European Open Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2015 Live: http://youtu.be/ykpqc21bcPk

Holy crap, this thing runs over 5 days? It must be hell to arrange all those matchups.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Sprecherscrow posted:

This man has decided not to vaccinate his child.

He also believes in chemtrails and all that entails. With this knowledge in mind, everything else should cease to surprise.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Did my first BJJ class after half a decade hiatus where i've done nothing but counterstrike and weed

i wouldn't call myself rusty

tiny particles of metal and dust, long since having lost all semblance of shape or memory of its previous form would be more accurate, I think

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Wangsbig posted:

when do you get your tattoo

I was thinking about a Marcelo portrait on the small of my back, but maybe something more tasteful would be more appropriate?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Marcelo is an amazing instructor and is legit one of the nicest people you will ever meet, I'd heartily recommend training with him in any capacity

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Due to various circumstances and A LOT of bad timing I was never graded above white belt, even when I had like 4 years of training 4 times per week and doing advanced div nogi competitions and stuff

Attending a new club was always fun. Not being able to compete at all in BJJ competitions due to a catch 22 of being too experienced to sandbag white belt divs but too literally a white belt to compete in anything above- not quite as fun.

These days I have re-earned my white belt by having become terrible, so it all worked out in the end.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
did gi chokes for the first time in forever yesterday and now my neck looks like someone tried to garrote me- a great look for work

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I got hit in the face by a white belt this week and one of my bridgework teeth broke and it is costing me 3000 dollars to get replaced. I rather have what you have right now.

Fuuuuuuck that's a lot of money :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Got a new job recently that allows me to actually do poo poo in the evenings, and in the last two weeks i've managed to cram in three bjj sessions each week and it feels really good. It's so much easier to find the time and energy when I can just go train straight after my shift.
I'm of course complete dogshit, both technically and physically compared to what I used to be, but my ego is taking it surprisingly well.

I thought I'd be a lot more sore about getting smashed by blue belts, but a few years of hiatus has taught me to be humble i guess. I'm really looking forwards to relearning all the stuff i've forgotten, which thankfully includes my bad habits as well as most of my techniques

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Decades posted:

Well gently caress me

Very cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Yuns posted:

Some extremely well executed BJJ:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5nh4z1ph7Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Nothing is super exotic when you break it down:

The sweep; the sit back; the rolling back take; the transition from back to armbar are all individually well known and common but it's all executed in such a wonderfully flowing manner.

That guy had a seminar at my club just a few weeks before I started training again ;(