Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Luisfe posted:

99 games with a value of 1289 bucks.

I wonder what will my 100th game be. Maybe I should NOT get that 100th until I finish at least a couple of the backlog games, hah.

Maybe I should try advancing in Portal more than the first 5 tests...

Celebrate 100 with Bad Rats. You won't be disappointed.

I have about a hundred games and beat maybe 10 of them. I'm working on Recettear (slowly) and just hit Day 23. 200,000 pix? Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thello posted:

I want to buy The Witcher 2, but holy Christ the requirements are steep compared to what I'm used to. I've got an 8800GTS, a step below the minimum required 8800GT. Blah.

It's really CPU heavy. If you have a three or four core CPU you might be able to get away with medium settings if you overclock your GPU.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm kicking myself for not playing Trine earlier. Controls are a little wonky but it's a very good platformer. I don't know why physics in video games were experimented with briefly then completely ignored.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

Knocked out episode 4 of Sam and Max Season 1 today.

Is that Abe Lincoln Must Die? I think that one really long song is called Consecutive Office and it's probably my favorite track in the series. Sam & Max has a kickass soundtrack.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

Along with the above posts and suggestion in chatrooms, I'm going to play and beat Batman: Arkham Asylum first!

I played and beat the game for the first time last month and absolutely loved it. I played it to the exclusion of everything else (a rarity for me, I like jumping back and forth) and it's currently the first and only game I got all the achievements for.

I played it on hard first time through and while some areas are tougher than others (loving Poison Ivy, man) it really makes you feel like a badass when you wade into a group of 12 thugs and pull off a flawless 50 hit combo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Depends on how much time you're putting into them. You can blaze through all the missions in a few hours but if you're trying to max out your score they'll last longer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Finished off Trine. I love how the final "boss" is an entire level with an rear end in a top hat created obstacles instead of an actual enemy. I wish the wizard got a spiked ball creating spell or something offensive to balance out his utility abilities.

Moving onto Shank which I'm excited for after a Planet Terror/Death Proof/Hobo With a Shotgun marathon.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ManxomeBromide posted:

Massive nerd-lectures aside, I've been making little progress on my Steam backlog, because I got the Might and Magic 6-back off of GOG a while back. It's not backlogged because I explicitly got them just to own them, and then Might and Magic 1 managed to hook me for a week and a half. It's doing something right and I don't know what it is.

Spirit of adventure, something I find sadly missing in a lot of contemporary RPGs. I guess I understand the need for flashing waypoints and guidance arrows but I really miss when a game gave you some basic goal and you had to fill in the blanks. This was Morrowind's greatest strength for me. Instead of auto-travel and flashing markers or "let me update your map" people would give you actual in-world directions to reach places. "The steampunk dungeon, yeah I know where that is. Take the south exit and follow the road to the second giant mushroom then take the magma path about two miles uphill until you reach the forbidden fortress dungeon."

Then Oblivion came out and no one gave you the time of day.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Woozy posted:

Dude, you stuck through Bioshock. Well done! I booted it once and found it was another lovely ~console port~ where the mouse sensitivity couldn't go low enough to be playable and reinstalled SS2 out of disgust. :(

Edit: In other news, I don't think I'm going to bother beating Space Rangers II. It's a great game and I've enjoyed the hell out of it but there's just way too much to plow through and it's starting to get a bit repetitive. I'll give it a few more days and then I'm moving on to... Space Force.

The game becomes exponentially easier at a rapid rate because the in-game technology increases so quickly. You end up reaching a point where the universe finally catches up to the dominators and battles are won without you. You can either scrounge the battlefields in safety or take on the jerks yourself single handily to steal their stuff with max cargo hold.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Horse Pro posted:

It's taken from a cover for Adam Warren's Dirty Pair:

http://i.imgur.com/PAl6g.jpg (linked for large)

He did a lot of covers for Playstation Magazine (once unofficial, now official). I think he also drew the Valkyrie Wilde mock ups which made national news as the first nude video game. That was hilarious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm really enjoying Puzzle Agent. I like the Layton series but this game has made me aware of the disconnect between Layton's story and the puzzles. Telltale did an excellent job making the puzzles believable in the context of the story.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alpha Protocol controls exactly like Mass Effect 1 but had the misfortune to come out after Mass Effect 2 which convinced everyone the first game sucked. There's no doubt in my mind the game would've fared better if released a year earlier like it was supposed to.

I'm having a love/hate relationship with Shank. I love it as a beat'em up and the difficulty curve ramps up nicely but there are so many bullshit moments like D'Angelo and his loving rockets which you couldn't predict and would blindly die while doing platform elements). In the level before that there's a dude shooting grenades at you which are tiny and impossible to see. I ended dying in a CUTSCENE because the camera pans and they continue the gameplay before it pans back to you. Still, I crave more brawlers give 'em to me now!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 20, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

God drat, Scratches was such a good game. It has a few bullshit puzzles (the one mentioned was annoying but there's a visual context clue only if you view it right) but the way the plot is told was fantastic. The ending is a little disappointing but everything leading up to it is top notch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that. I'm really enjoying it again now that I got past that absolute cockblock of a puzzle, and I'm determined to use no more hints. The Steam version is "The Director's Cut" and it looks like it comes with some kind of epilogue called "The Last Visit", have you played that? If so, does that maybe wrap the story up a little better?
It's not necessary. It's really short, doesn't have any real puzzles (you just enter previously visited areas and comment on them), and it froze on me at a certain point every time so I gave up and watched the thing on youtube. You can blaze through it in 10 minutes.

The epilogue blatantly ties a few loose ends together that are touched upon in the main story but the main game is really subtle. It almost feels like director's commentary the way everything is laid out and the character comments to himself.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Finally knocking off some items on my list. November games had two things in common: they were shooters of some kind and I felt so-so about them in the end.

Rage: I really wanted to like this. You get 9 weapons with multiple ammo types, that's something you don't see in shooters everyday. The enemies are actually kind of intelligent and use cover effectively so all your tools like sentry bots are really helpful. The game is just a solid shooter all around.

But the game also doesn't know what it wants to be. Exploring the "world" is completely trivial because there's nothing of importance to discover. Vehicle controls are fine but there's no point in racing except to get quest required vehicles and enemies go down in a single rocket/plasma shot anyway making the entire racing segments a waste of time. The pacing is also truly awful. Halfway through you think the game is going to kick it up by fighting cybernetic super soldiers as a member of the underground resistance but SURPRISE! It sends you on more fetch errands fighting loving mutants and bandits. Bullshit.

Even worse, I decided I wanted to 100% the game because I'm a masochist and idiot. The mini-games are absolute horseshit, especially the knife game where the hardest level is randomized. Even worse is a game of dice that you have to win on the first try. Just making an assumption based on how long it took, I'm pretty sure there's only one skull icon on each die and you have to roll 4 of them. The odds are 1/1296 or .08%!!! The same odds as rolling loving Yahtzee.

If this game was a linear level based shooter with a hub town inbetween to purchase stuff a la Metro 2033, this would have been an A+ in my book. As it is, it's a C+ at most.

Saints Row 2 and The Third: Saint's Row 2 is janky but the design philosophy here was "kitchen sink it to death" and as someone who just likes to gently caress around I really appreciated. This is what Grand Theft Auto should be: more San Andreas style over-the-top fuckery and less pseudo-realistic crime drama.

SR3 felt neutered in comparison. The gameplay elements were rock solid and I actually enjoyed shooting and using vehicles in this one. Buuut it feels like they stripped all the content out so they could sell it back in one of their 6 dozen DLC packs. What would have been side missions in SR2 were used as main missions in SR3 (which created odd moments where I would call for a mission and then nothing happens because I already completed the side-mission it triggered). Every crib is literally the same, there's no visual identity to them. There are fewer clothing options although I will admit there's more interesting clothing choices overall when it comes to costumes. I completed this game with 90+ percent completion in 12 hours and I feel like I legitimately missed something.

Oh, and for some reason they took out the ability to replay missions. Why? The missions are far more interesting and varied than SR2 or any Grand Theft Auto game. I used this feature in SR2 all the loving time just so I could kill people without racking up notoriety and having a million cars run me over. Who thought this was a good idea to remove such a basic loving feature?!

Alan Wake: I played this game off and on, basically giving it a week's break inbetween chapters. I'm glad I did because in hindsight this game is super repetitive. You've got maybe 8 weapons (basically 5 guns of varying power and 3 explosive items), there are three different enemy types repeated ad naseum (skinny guy, big guy, and super fast guy), and each area is the same "wall of darkness surrounds you as you look for a key or way out."

The campy nature of the story was entertaining and the sound design kept me sticking around for as long as it did. It's not a game you take seriously, it's more like someone read Dean Koontz while Twin Peaks was playing in the background.

Spec-Ops: The Line: I bought this for $5 off Amazon. I knew to expect some kind of "deep, dark, and emotional story" but didn't know how they would execute it. I can say that the game is fairly boring as you trudge through ruined buildings and sand dunes shooting generic army soldiers. But it's short and there's no lack of gory scenarios that kept me hooked for the 4 or so hours. It's still pretty ham handed but it's nice seeing a military shooter take an opposite look at war compared to Call of Duty's OORAH GOOD EFFECT ON TARGET!!!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 11, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

I could not beat the part where the door opens up to the volcano. It was impossible for me.

You basically have to rush through, crouch down, and pray one of the 50 trigens can't pinpoint you with a rocket launcher. Then it's a matter of following the rocket trails back to the trigens who are standing a thousand feet away and pick them off one by one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It should have been more apparent how stealth worked. You have sound dampening which determines how far your sound travels but the game didn't communicate that people can still hear you while crouching (which is contrary to every stealth game ever created) so you had people wondering why enemies hear them 10 feet away even though they're "sneaking." The tutorial covers the basic but doesn't talk about your stats at all and that's wrong.

Combat is almost exactly like Mass Effect 1 but AP's biggest fault is coming out after ME2 which critics widely praised for the combat. The best tip here is to aim at center mass (unless going for a crit headshot) and make sure whatever your aiming at takes up the entirety of your bullseye. Yes, engagements are at very short range unless you're using a rifle but that's just how the game works. And forget about sticky cover, it's worthless.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always felt they should have changed that opening line to something like "Your choices will influence your opinion of events." It's more accurate and, frankly, a really neat thing to boast especially when discussions devolve into "he was a dick/no I liked him" which you just don't see for many RPGs. There's usually a clear cut opinion the devs want you to have but gently caress if I didn't sympathize with Kenny all the way through while other people disliked him by Chapter 2 only to like him again in Chapter 3 then hate his guts and so on.

Finished Portal 2 and Darksiders. It's a good game but there are too many moments where the only escape is a single wall 500 feet away (and through a grate) and the game expects you to carefully scan the horizon looking for it. The amount of loading screens are also ridiculous. The Source engine still impresses me graphically but there are more loading screens than test chambers in the entire facility.

Darksiders was really enjoyable. It's Zelda with God of War and towards the end they just smashed as much cool poo poo as they could into the game culminating in a loving portal gun (literally) for one level. The dungeon design was great but combat left a lot to be desired. I can say I would have enjoyed the game more if they completely removed the combat because the level design was really fantastic. It somehow made block pushing puzzles fun. Who knew?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I told myself I wouldn't buy anything during the sale but talk is cheap and so are the games.

I beat Deadlight. If there's a definition for "Wasted Potential" it's this. It's a beautiful looking platformer with some genuinely exciting set pieces that's totally ruined by a lack of communication and poor controls. When you're designing a precision based platformer you need clear "rules" that govern the controls but Randall will do things like jumping forward if he turns while standing or being completely winded after swinging an axe 3 times even though he can climb, jump, and run as good as Nathan Drake. The story also takes a huge nose-dive in Act 2 when it stops becoming The Walking Dead and turns into Saw except you befriend your potential killer despite him building a labyrinthine deathtrap in the sewers of Seattle to "test you." In fact, most of Act 2 is a plot piece that's completely unrelated to the rest of the story. You could remove it and nothing would change.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm playing Miami too and I honestly hated the first hour but once you get into the groove it's great. The first three levels are actually the hardest IMO. Past level 5 I was blazing through with only a couple deaths.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

World in Conflict is a very simplistic RTS game. It's easy to learn, there's no resource management, and calling in units is instantaneous. It's also a very impressive game with cool graphical effects and lots of cool explosions.

Company of Heroes is a much more involved RTS game. There's simplistic base building but resources are derived from capturing and holding defensive points. The AI is also very aggressive and I found myself stuck on Redball Express which I think is level 3. They'll throw a ton of armor against you and you need to push against the AI because turtling just won't work. It's still a great game but WiC is definitely easier to get into and play over short periods.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was always interested in Dinner Date for its theme. Is it legitimately a poor experience or where you just not expecting it to be a short indie story thing? I really liked Thirty Flights of Loving/Gravity Bone even though they're both 5 minute long watch-things-happen "games."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Just finished Spec Ops: The Line. I did it on hard difficulty, so it took me a bit longer than average (11 or so hours). Great story that enticed me to keep playing to see it through. I particularly liked how (SPOILER) all endings are awful no matter what - even "going home" is bad.

After finishing Limbo and now Spec Ops I am ready to tackle another :smith: game - thoughts? Steam profile is here - http://steamcommunity.com/id/DoctorOfLaws - also friend me!

I see you haven't even touched The Walking Dead. There's no greater :smith: game in existence.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Space Marine and Homefront are done. Only WH40k: Retribution, Juiced 2 and Saints Row 3 are left, and then I've beaten the THQ catalog. Saints Row 2 doesn't run on my computer for whatever reason, which is a shame.

I'm very much hoping THQ goes to someone worthwhile. Their games have been great fun. Too bad it had to end like this.

Quick derail, all their properties are now up for individual sale. They had interest from Warner Bros. and EA. I hope Sega/Creative Assembly scoops up Warhammer 40k (they do have Fantasy) because I really want to see 40k: Total War.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morter posted:

A long time ago I bought FEAR 1 + Expansions. I'm trudging through the base game now and I'm eager to play through FEAR 2 just to get to the third most recent game.

Should I bother at all with the expansions if I find FEAR1's gameplay to be mediocre and slightly boring?

No. The expansions are unofficial continuations made by a different studio which literally kill off everyone in the first thirty minutes. They're bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Call of Duty I. I know this series gets a lot of poo poo, but I really enjoyed this game. I can see why the franchise grew so massive. CoD I is worth playing for the Russian campaign alone, especially the Stalingrad levels. Yes, I know the Stalingrad levels are a total rip-off of Enemy at the Gates.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty: United Offensive. I think the single-player in UO is better than the base game. The developers just went and created the most spectacular levels they could, and let the player worry about the difficulty of them. The stand-out campaign here is the British one; UO's Russian campaign just feels like a re-tread of CoD I's.

STARTED: The Walking Dead. I played through the first episode, but I had to stop. I think I'm too socially inept to play this game. Everything went horribly wrong, and I had a reverse Midas touch: everything I touched turned to poo poo. I can't shake the feeling that every single character in the game would have been better off if they had never met Lee Everett.

Call of Duty, United Offensive, and CoD 2 have the best single player campaigns. With Modern Warfare the single player took a backseat to multiplayer so there are fewer missions, more story-only sequences, lots of turret sections, and fewer non-linear attack/defend type levels. Remember that awesome defend-the-house missing at the end of UO? I think they have one of those in past games (MW2) and no more. World at War did have one of the coolest turret sequences in an FPS, though.

As for The Walking Dead, welcome to the franchise! The name of the game is "bad poo poo happens to good people" and "humans are worse than zombies."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EightDeer posted:

You mean the mission where you're in a ruined mansion / apartment block and Germans pour into the courtyard below? That one took me a few tries to get past; I kept getting killed while scrounging for ammo.

So, I should just bite the bullet and get used to stumbling blindly from disaster to disaster?

I think it's the same one. They keep sending you to different sections of the house as the Germans assault your position.

And yes, The Walking Dead is one unfortunate event after the other. Nothing good happens to anyone, not even Lee, and whenever you catch a break something even worse happens. Keep playing it, it gets really good by Chapter 3. And by really good I mean soul crushingly depressing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also recently beat The Darkness 2 and it's one of the few FPS games where shotguns aren't terrible at any range other than point blank.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nipplefish posted:

Right now, I'm playing through a few more casual indies (Closure, The Path) and trying to decide among Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Spec Ops, or a F.E.A.R. franchise title for my next big name game.

I'd say go with Spec-Ops. I beat it in an afternoon and I haven't done that with a major release in a decade. I didn't even like the game that much but the general consensus seems to be "you'll probably hate it but won't stop playing until it's done."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Completed Rage. Went for the Obsessive Compulsive achievement, because why not? Opinion remains unchanged: good driving game, not so good shooter. A couple nice weapons though. If I can find someone who doesn't lag horribly I might do all the co-op missions also.

How was that cheating knife game with the randomized 5th level, huh? I tried to do this and at the end of the loving game I realized I somehow missed a card which you can only get in the Authority Prison. I tried for an hour looking through the debug commands trying to find some kind of noclip, givecard, level select whatever but nothing. gently caress Rage's achievements, gently caress limited window items in general.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

No idea, played one level of it and left it at that. You only need to win money in each of the minigames, not max them out. As for the cards, those that I missed showed up in the shop to buy for $1000 a pop. Missed a bunch but money is easy to come by.

Eh? What shop?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Nulled: Civilization IV + Colonization, Warlords and Beyond the Sword
I got 7 hours out of Civ4 before drifting away from it, and I never got into the expansions. Then I got Civ5 gifted to me and everyone says it's way more accessible, so I'll give that a go instead.

Wait, you played vanilla Civ4? Nonononono! Beyond the Sword is one of the greatest expansion packs ever created and includes awesome mods and original scenarios that really enhance the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That's unfortunate, I'm glad I've passed this one up. I have so little patience for obtuse puzzles in adventure games anymore.

I'm playing Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes, and I'm really loving the unique design and twist on standard adventure game characters, but I've already run into a puzzle or two that made me impatient. I'm still really early in, but other than that the other puzzles seem mostly logical and fun.

For people playing Daedalic's adventure games (Deponia, Whispered World, etc.), you can press (space I think) to view all interactive highlights. I went through Whispered World without knowing this, and I don't think they ever actually tell you this in any game, but knowing it has made their games much more enjoyable. There's still some dumb bullshit (Whispered World's stupid chess logic puzzle, I hate logic puzzles MACHINARIUM!) and puzzles that require pop culture references (chopsticks to grab a fly) but knowing what you can interact with makes it a lot more bearable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, the "post credit" levels in Miami are the game. It completes the story. It would be like turning off Pulp Fiction after The Golden Watch. Granted, it's a short few segments and you can probably watch it all on youtube rather quickly. I honestly don't think the puzzle pieces are worth it. They give more resolution regarding the ending but it's actually a worse conclusion IMO.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I could never lock onto the guy. Even with my crosshair covering him I would still miss with the daggers. Everything about the final fight was easy for me except actually throwing the loving knives at the guy. Even worse, only the knives will hit him. You can't use the weapon you pick up to fight the tigers. If you miss you're dead unless you're the fast mask that can outrun his turning radius.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

And here is where I probably missed something essential in the game: "lock onto" ?
I've been playing it as a twin-stick shooter, moving with WASD and aiming with the mouse. Are you telling me I could have targeted enemies and have had my aim locked to them while running around?
If so, gently caress the writers for not telling me so and gently caress me for not figuring that out myself.

Also, I'm probably really bad at this game, because I only got to the boss 4-5 times before being mowed down.
I should probably just move twitch shooters and games that rely on fast reflexes to my "Meh" category and go out and sit on my porch and yell at all the kids to get off my lawn. I'm old :smith:

They mention it in the tutorial. It's not literally a lock on in the traditional sense. If you keep the crosshair within the general vicinity of an enemy then it will "stick." I'm pretty sure this feature was designed to help keyboard+mouse players because using a controller I found the lock on to be completely unnoticeable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I had planned to complete The Cave this weekend, but instead, I followed a co-worker's advice and bought Ni no Kuni for PS3. Holy poo poo is this game beautiful. I'm not a huge fan of the combat so far, but goddamn if I don't love Studio Ghibli animation. I'm completely fine with my decision to be sidetracked by this. I've only scratched the surface so far, but if anyone's been on the fence about it, give it a serious look for the graphics alone - you can get past the okay combat by playing on Easy.

Combat gets a lot better once you get all the characters and learn all-out attack/defend. Now, this doesn't happen until literally 20 hours in but once you actually have some choice in familiars and you can regularly create things with alchemy the battles get a lot more enjoyable, bosses especially.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really need to stop picking up games and focus on one at a time, Jesus.

Beat: Dawn of War II. People complain that it's not a traditional RTS like the predecessor but I liked this game's singleplayer a lot. By the end when I had three sets of terminator armor and a dreadnought I definitely felt like a small killing team.

Beat: Kentucky Route Zero Act 1. This is a neat point-and-click adventure. It's dark, moody, kind of unnerving and has fantastic writing. Can't wait for the rest of the series.

Zedicus Mann posted:

Technically it's for multiplayer and other neverending games though. :eng101:

I also use "null" for games I have no motivation to complete. Keeps them from clogging up my "unfinished" category.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Here it feels like you're playing an MMO on an empty server and oh hey you want to jump off that waterfall? Better hope a developer decided to put a jump point in the water or else you're taking the long way around!

Unsurprisingly, it was literally a prototype to an MMORPG. Big Huge Games was developing a singleplayer RPG while 38 studios was developing an MMO. When 38 acquired BHG they combined their ideas to create Amalur which was supposed to lead into an eventual MMO release.

Then they went bankrupt, cost Rhode Island tax payers millions, and killed a good company (talking about Big Huge here, I loved Rise of Nations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Azruelli posted:

I'm playing through FEAR today and was curious - Are Extraction Point and Perseus mandate worth playing through/relevant enough?

Nope. They're non-canon cash-ins as Monolith was bought by Warner Bros. and hadn't yet acquired the FEAR license from Vivendi. They're also not very good, even in comparison to the original.

Ironically they were developed by TimeGate, one of the studios that worked on Colonial Marines.