Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Srice posted:

I'm glad that 8 doesn't have anything locked behind streetpass stuff because dang, that would mean the content would literally not exist to me.

Why, you don't have wifi and can't use the *ONLINE* street pass feature present in 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

I'm super excited that we're getting these games because I didn't finish 8, and never even touched 7.

Also this gives me a glimmer of hope that we'll get the remakes of DQM 1 and 2.

They will probably do Joker 3 at this point if sales do well. It's kinda late to be doing dqm 1 or 2, both of which are primarily online games.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

What makes them primarily online? Like I remember that a lot of their extra time came from those randomly generated key worlds, but those weren't really restricted by being able to trade with other players or anything in the originals.

They have their respective main game scenarios and post game scenarios, but the meat of each are the weekly tournaments and wifi casual/ranked battles that occur, as well as online street passing and trading, etc. To give an example, dqm2 has a trophies system of which you might get 10% or so playing offline.

Also, each respective version is kinda like an expansion on the meta and gameplay of the previous one. The main stories are different, but the core game is the same with new monsters and abilities. It would make more sense to give us the most up to date iteration instead of trying to play catch up.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mikeycp posted:

I mean, I still got close to 80 hours out of the first one completely offline, and I didn't even finish everything. If that's not the "meat" of the game, then there must be an absurd amount of online content.

More so with 2 than 1 admittedly. I think I got 55 hours out of 1 because I played it literally 2 weeks before 2 came out, and a whopping 240 out of 2, with the vast majority of that either battling against other people online in some form, or raising monsters specifically for the purpose of battling online.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skeezy posted:

I didn't actually mean how did it do in numbers. But that is good to know.

I just wanted to know if it plays fine or has issues or anything really.

As i've stated here, my main criticism with it is that when you compare it to DQ7, it seems like a very low-effort cash cow re-release. If you like the game in general, there is nothing negative about it that will have you like it less on the 3DS than you did on the ps2, but the extras aren't all that exciting, and the version specific features that make use of 3DS console specific capabilities are almost entirely not present (no 3D, half pointless/half non-functional streetpass, no online bonus content) whereas DQ7 had very good implementation of all of those things.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FinalTitan posted:

You're acting like what they did with DQ7 is the standard rather than the exception.

Well, to be fair, it usually is disappointing when the next itteration of a game in a series has fewer features than the previous one. DQ7 was also the first of the remakes to appear on the 3DS, so it felt like SQEX was setting the standard for the system at that point, which they pretty much did if you factor in the dqm remakes, which all contain most of said features as well.

DQ8 was first put on mobile platforms with no mention of a 3DS release, then came relatively out of no where as a remake. They threw in some nice extras and all to make sure there would be a reason for owners of the other versions to buy the new one as well, but overall, it feels like last generation DS level remake.

I guess a lot of people don't agree with me because they know only DS remakes, whereas I've been playing the 3DS ones and getting spoiled by the level of new content in them, thus expecting it to be a given at this point.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

What did you actually want from a 3DS remake of 8? Like, my only complaint would be that it doesn't look as nice as the PS2 version.

But you seem to think that they should have overhauled systems or something and I'd like to know what those would be.

e: oh and I'd like a way to reset skill builds

Online content like that which was in all 3 of the other 3DS games.

Includes pseudo DLC for free, as well as streetpass features that add dozens of hours of gameplay to the game, which I stress, is done online via wi-fi. Not sure why so many people seem to keep missing the fact that dqm, dqm2, and dq7 all streetpass over the Internet, meaning you will always have people to pass from your home.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If it's online functionality it's not streetpass. They're arguing about the nomenclature, they're not disputing the claim that the streetpass features have an online equivalent.

I've explained this like 3 times now. Please TRY to listen.

DQ7, DQM, DQM2 all allow you to streetpass people over the Internet. There is a specific FEATURE OF THE GAME called online street pass, that allows you to connect to random people a set number of times per day, or under certain circumstances (ie, in dqm2, you can set the game to streetpass any person you fight in a casual or ranked battle via the online battle feature, if you choose to do so) that works the exact same as if you were to streetpass a person on the street.

Online features and online streetpass are two separate things (or two different aspects of the same thing), that these games have.

DQ8 in fact has the feature as well, but as I explained before, it doesn't work correctly because you need to steetpass the same random 1 in however many 100s of thousands of people are using the feature twice on two separate days to benefit from it. Additionally, the streetpass features are useless on top of that anyways, so it's moot.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 17, 2015

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

But the online content that you're referring to is what exactly? If it's Monster Arena battles, then you make it sound like they've already got DQM1&2 to cover that.

Like, DQ8's arena is just recruit poo poo, so it doesn't really have the form a party of perfect monsters aspect going for it.

And what was 7's online content? I haven't played the Japanese games, and I haven't really seen any import reviews or anything.

DQ7 has maps (or shard fragments to fit the theme) that work like dq9s maps. They come both in DLC and player generated form.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

Oh okay, I see what you're looking for then. I mean, I'm not sure lengthy RPGs like Dragon Quest need padding like that. But now I understand what you wanted at least.

Did the DLC shards in 7 have some story attached to them, or was it just here's a map, kill the boss?

None of the stuff in 7 is story related. I mean, I guess you need to go through the motions of streetpassing or downloading the DLC at least a little bit to fill up your immigrant town with citizens, as it is tied into that. You don't actually have to play the dungeons though if you just want to max out your town.

Zurai posted:

(Similarly, I would never, ever do online competitive multiplayer and probably never do online cooperative multiplayer, so "but DQM had online content gated behind that!" is not a rallying point for me either)

The 3DS DQM games are largely competitive battles. There is story, but it doesn't have much substance to it at all. A fair comparison would be that they are kinda like the 3DS Pokemon games, but less story driven and more competitive online content focused. Could be that this is why they haven't been picked up for localization.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

People were getting their copies stolen from them after buying it IIRC. Dragon Quest III had people going crazy to get it from what I recall. Hopefully the Japanese version didn't come with a walkthrough like the US version did because that spoiled the twist for me (also Nintendo Power's DQ3 article gave away the ending :psyduck:) and I'm sure going in to it unaware was mind blowing. Especially once you realized where you were and when.

Typically, they don't spoil end game level content in 80s/90s standard walkthrough japanese guidebooks. I think I have the DQ3 and 4 books somewhere, and they don't even list enemies in the final ~10% of the game or so if I remember correctly.

It's actually a bit strange, because other than that, japanese game guides tend to be ridiculously thorough compared to their western counterparts. The one I have for DQM2 3DS is about 1k pages, but it's more of a complete catalogue of the game than a walkthrough.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There has been an interesting program going around for a while now that takes a DW1 nes rom and edits it to one of 10,000,000 seeds that changes the location of items, dungeons, towns, monsters, and randomizes spells for your character and monsters. It also increases XP gains to make the game less grindy.

Pretty fun, someone who is a "high skilled" dragon quest player can go through it in about 2 hours on a good seed.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

The new newer spell translations are terrible and always have been. (Ka)Crack(le) is dumb as hell. Give me my goddamn Snowstorm, Ice Spears, and Blizzard spell names. Infernos was confusing but easily acceptable to get the old spell names back. For the mostpart they all made sense and the names gave you an idea of what they did. Unlike now where it looks like they just up and copied Phantasy Star.

Bikill was the best. :black101:

What the hell do they call Bikill in the translation? 'Cause it's called Baikilt in Japanese. I never really understood the one-foot in, one-foot out translation thing where they decide to translate most of the things one way that is completely different than the Japanese, but are direct on a few of them. Seems like both the old spells and the new ones are guilty of that for different spells. Just stick to one or the other, and use it consistently you fools!

As for puns, DQ in Japanese isn't necessarily a very punny game at all, with regards to how punny the Japanese language tends to be overall to English. It feels like what i've seen from the US localizations try way too hard sometimes. Especially DQ5 trying to for no good reason equate all the regions of the game with regions of the actual real world w/ speech mannerisms and such. I guess the English language writers feel the script is too dry, and like to resort to cheese to liven it up. I'd probably prefer it to be a bit dryer, but well written IMO.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I was gonna give builders a shot, but it's pretty expensive (for the ps4 version), and there is a lot for me to play right now. Minecrafty type games aren't usually my thing, but builders at least has a story and sidequests/etc to follow.

Joker 3 will be marathoned the day it comes out, which is in just under 2 weeks. It might be most anticipated game of the year for me, even with Star Ocean coming out a week later.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finished the main story of Joker 3 in about 25 hours. The story in the monsters series is usually pretty lame, and this was no exception. Now is when I can really start getting cool monsters and properly doing the multiplayer, though. Let's see if it ends up being as good as 3DS DQM2.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Holy poo poo. It appears that when you use super-fusion in Joker 3, you can give size 2, 3 and 4 monsters size 1 monster bodies. In the previous game, you could only size up smaller monsters, not shrink down big ones. Incoming mini Estarks and Slime Cancers!

The competitive value of this is insane, the customization on monster traits allows for WAY more options this time around. Multiplayer will be a clusterfuck.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 25, 2016

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The last one had a ridiculous amount (over 800) of monsters, but a lot of them were gimmick special monsters that seemed neat, but had no real function. This new one cuts out a bunch, but still supposedly has more than 600, including new ones.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skunkrocker posted:

I haven't played anything past DWM2. I heard the later games are different and less emphasis on going on a classic DQ adventure. I also loved the rogue-ish aspects of DWM 1 and 2's randomly generated worlds.

The DQM games are really less Dragon Questy Adventure and more super-tuned alternatives to Pokemon. The monster trees to reach 100 are more linear, so there's always that, but If you don't intend to play the multiplayer the game is probably 60%+ lost on you. If you do, however, it's probably the most balanced and complex competitive monster battler type game around.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Speaking of which, i'm wrecking pretty hard right now with a speed dancer strat

Got a high speed skeleton who uses heavy damaging physical attacks, a dancer who raises tension and using the falling star samba to deal damage with 3 moves a turn, a tiger who also goes 3 times a turn, has 1500 speed stat, and a trait that always makes him go first (except against monsters that are small size and also have the trait) who howls and uses paralyzing or sweet breath, and also has falling star samba to deal damage, and a cactus tank that taunts and heavily punishes non-magical attacks with a combination of traits that causes the attackers to take a percentage of the damage they dealt, and then deals a magic attack in addition to that damage which heals for half of what it does (up to 100). He also has the trait that prevents him from dying until the end of the round when lethal damage is dealt. So, he basically absorbs everything, then the dancer casts the re-raise spell on him before he dies at the end of the turn. Meanwhile, the others are dropping stars on everyone. Falling star samba is a dance that hits random targets 4 times for up to 200 damage each based on the users speed stat, and is EXTREMELY hard to mitigate. I keep fighting people who bring in their Metal and Platinum Kings to tank only to have them take 30-50 damage a hit from the stars. They usually die in a couple of casts, with anywhere from 4-6 casts going off per turn, based on how the AI controls my dudes. Absolutely obliterated 3 highly ranked people in the GP today (ranked 500 or lower) from my 10,000th ranked spot, because I entered with the wrong team the other day and lost all my battles. I like that the game lets you chose if you want to fight opponents around your rank, an easier rank, or a much higher rank this time around, which is how I smashed those top rankers. Maybe I can still finish in the top 100 this week even with the first day losses.

The amount of abilties in DQM games compared to the main series is like literally 10 to 1 now; it's pretty nuts. There are weird ones that do stuff like reverse the turn order, or shuffle the turn order, or instantly end the turn on the spot. The first 2 can also be triggered randomly at the start of the battle or any given turn by traits, and there is all kinds of other turn order fuckery based on monster sizes, several other traits, and moves that are intended to always at the end of a turn. I don't even know what half the abilities and spells do without reading the descriptions in the in-game library. I think the abilities that deal damage to attackers are pretty OP this time around (my cactus dude once killed an entire enemy team with like 6000 returned damage in one round, and just got reraised at the end), but luckily the falling star samba which is also over powered doesn't trigger them

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 29, 2016

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deki posted:

How would you rate Joker 3 compared to the remakes?

I'm really on the fence on if I want to buy the game since I know 0 japanese.

You mean the remakes of 7 and 8? Or 3DS DQM 1 and 2? The main games and the monster series are completely different. If you are thinking about picking up Joker 3 for the story, you probably won't have very much fun with it. It's really about building a team and fighting other people with that team. Compared to the other monsters games on the 3DS, it's a forward-moving meta where each one has balance and system improvements. They cut a lot of the fat out of Joker 3, so there are far fewer monsters, but it has been tuned and balanced to be an improvement over 2 game play wise. I must say though, if you can't read the menus and ability names and such, you'll probably have a really hard time when you get wrecked by someone's monsters and don't know which abilities they are using to figure out a counter.

Also, gently caress gently caress gently caress. I just went 27-0 with the star droppers in the GP, bringing my weekly total to 27-3 because of my mess up on day 1. I would have almost certainly taken 1st(!!) place with a score of 30-0 and the team i'm using, since it contains a few of monsters that people don't normally use. The way the weekly GPs work this time is you have 10 tickets to fight 3 battles against opponents, and you can use them at any rate you wish. Looking at the rankings, i'll probably still be top 10 with my 27-3 score, but there could always be people waiting till the last day to make some team of completely underused monsters, which will give them more points. Might not get a chance to win a GP again, next week the competition will be rough.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skunkrocker posted:

I don't know why you keep saying this. DWM1 and 2 had great stories. :/

If you mean the gameboy ones, then the aim of the game was completely different back then, as there was no network play.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Welp, Stardroppers finished 11th place in the first GP, out of how many 10s of thousands I don't know. I would have been 2nd if not for that first day. I don't know if I can even get top 100 this next week, i've seen some real ridiculous strats and seemingly invincible teams in free play.

I guess there is always next Dragon Quest Monsters game to try and take 1st place in :cheers:

I feel like I could have done a service for DQ games in America, if I had finished in 1st or 2nd place with that American flag next to my name in a sea of nothing but Japanese flags.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 4, 2016

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Highspirits is speed running DQ 1-9 on Twitch right now at https://www.twitch.tv/highspirits

This is a 1-9 RTA, no breaks. ETA is between 70-80 hours.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hokuto posted:

oh my god I never realized how much I needed this until just now

edit: Dragon Quest Monsters already has a good basis to work with:

the little crown on top even spins

Most of the "flavor" DLC monsters like those two that are S and SS rank are functionally useless in both the story as well as the multiplayer meta of the game, unfortunately. They are more of a fanservice thing. DQM2 on the 3ds is chock-full of worthless, but very cool monsters (to the tune of 100+. I kinda wish they were implemented better.

In other news, homebrew savy people should be on the lookout for new fan translation projects in the future!

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 16, 2016

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
3DS DQ Translation project 80+ percent complete

which game is it? Stay tuned to find out

In the mean time, watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd0D6Y0uFIc

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Good news homebrew savvy 3DS owners who are also Dragon Quest fans! Pretty soon you will be able to play the DQ game that was most recently released in Japan, in English! I don't have an exact date, but at the rate progress is going, I would expect it to be ready within the period of time that exists between several weeks and a couple of months. Right now, work is being done to port the translation that was done on the vanilla version of the game over to the newly released updated version, which then has a little bit more work to be done. Patches for both versions of the game in question will be released to accommodate anyone who might have purchased the old one.

So, if you have finished with VII and VIII but haven't figured out the whole homebrew thing yet, now is the the time to do so to be ready for more DQ related fun in the near future.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Well, we haven't made an official unofficial translation patch reveal announcement yet. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out which game I mean, though.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

John Lee posted:

But in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional, you can ride Psaro, so I refuse to play a lesser version.

I named it "Estyke"

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bongo Bill posted:

I recommend the mobile versions for 1-3 if possible, for the new translations and for the QoL features added to 2.

With 1, everything is a level+gear check. I think the minimum level at which you can beat the final boss is as low as 17 with enough luck (don't try this your first time).

It actually takes longer to speedrun 1 than it does 2 or 3 for original NES versions because of how it is a level check. The super famicom version of 1+2 isn't that bad though, you level extremely fast. Any version of 3 is amazing, as 3 is the best DQ game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Blaine the Train posted:

God, please throw us a bone on this one, S-E, I NEED to ride around on Rebjorn. It's all that matters to me in life. :(

read all the posts on this page :chef:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Got about 105 hours playtime into Joker 3 professional, and it feels like the most balanced DQM game yet for online play. There is also a ton of offline stuff to do. It definitely feels like the best DQ Monsters game ever made, and probably the best DQ game on the 3DS, as opposed to Joker 3 normal which was probably the worst.

Anyone who invests time into this game is probably going to love it. Here are some cool monsters:

The return of the super retro bosses, Lord Draco, Genoshidoh, Asura Zoma, Psycho Psaro, and Gran Estark.

And of course, the Zodiac Slime Cancer is back as well!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rirse posted:

I wanted to replay the rest of the series after finishing 8, starting with 1...but man the first game is a slog. I hate how in some areas the game will just flat throw high level enemies who wipe you and cost you the money you were grinding for. Should I bother keep going since I just reach the town pass the dragon tunnel. Or I just move on to DQ2, since at least I have party members now.

I honestly think 2 is the worst in the whole series. 1 and 2 are definitely dated, but 1 gets the benefit of the doubt as it was a genre starter. 2 is a failed experiment in balance, but i'm not sure how any of the remakes are.

3 is where it's at. Go play the original AND the remake of that one

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rirse posted:

I played the original version on the NES when I rented it as a kid, so I am just going to skip to the SNES remake on my Everdrive. Already started it up, which i Just doing basic grinding right now. What a good class lineup anyway. I made one of each character but my party is current Hero, Warrior, Thief, and Cleric.

Everything is generally useful. I think the speed run uses something similar to that, or maybe alternates between thief and mage for certain things.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Someone requested this somewhere else, so here is a video of every monster (cept for a few special event and DLC ones) in DQM Joker 3 Professional:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0187nsF6vHU

If you want to know what something is and how it relates to DQ, just ask

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vakal posted:

Can you offer any updates on the project? Is it still on schedule or did it hit a snag?

There are many issues causing the game to crash that are being ironed out. Apparently text exceeding certain lengths for a lot of different things causes a lot of random weird things to happen. Aside from that, internal testing has begun.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
BEHOLD, my army

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

raditts posted:

What is that hourglass thing? Some kinda... time slime?

Just a slime-themed hourglass, like the icon.

http://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/MW40027.html

They come in metal slime too

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ofecks posted:

1-3 SFC
4-6, 9 DS
7-8 3DS

I've heard mixed things about the various mobile ports.

Best version of 5 is definitely the ps2 one, but you'll need to play it in Japanese or apply a translation patch.

It's probably the best looking Dragon Quest game ever made.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Last Celebration posted:

Does it just look super good in motion or something, because IIRC it offers nothing mechanically over the DS version or even script-wise unless you just loathe the new translation style and the DS version's sprites are great as is.

Better quality music, and a unique aesthetic that wasn't really used in any other DQ games where all the graphics look almost like puppets. It has really good animation, as well. There's nothing wrong with the DS version by any means, but the ps2 one just feels so awesome, especially when you consider both 4 and 6 on the DS have the same look to them. There's also the PSX version of DQ4 that shares a similar look to SFC DQ3 and has the same features as the DS version more or less, but I don't know if there is any reason to play that one over the DS one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They just had a Nintendo Direct for XI on the 3DS that talked about the differences between 2D mode/3D mode and street pass functionality.

Here's what I got from it:
3D mode plays similarly to DQVIII, for example, with encounters on the field dictated by running into monsters.
2D mode plays like SFC DQ games, with random encounters and obvious "hidden" spots on the world map that hide treasures and what not.
You can switch between 2D and 3D at any place where you can save your game, which includes priests in towns and special statues in the field/dungeons

Streetpass functionality allows you to trade zoku (variation of the chibi priest/warrior/hero etc) type monsters that you may come across during the game with other players to create an army that goes through a dungeon that seems similar to Find Mii, where you get items, including scrolls that have passwords? that let you visit scenarios from old DQ games to do special quests. The examples shown were Garai's town/tomb from DQ1 and picking a bride at Rudman's house from DQ5.

I wasn't really paying attention as it came on while I was doing something else, but there were probably some finer details mentioned. There were some details about time passing/day+night, weather, etc.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 21, 2017